Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Friends

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

What do you think of the sitcom "Friends"?

As good as Frasier!
13%
Will never be as good as Frasier, but still enjoyable.
73%
Hate the show and the writing!
13%

Total votes : 30

Postby DHP » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:35 pm

Nervosa wrote:
DHP wrote:and the 40-disc James Bond movies collection. It hurts your wallet, but a lot less than to buy them all separately. And the packaging is always nicer when you get them in a box set. :D

Oooh you've got the Bond set! A job well done, good sir! I want that too, but I can't look beyond the price.

Neither could I until I saw HMV had shaved £170 off it in their sale. I used a price-comparison site and saw they were beating everone else by at least £50. Picked it up right there and then. It really is a thing of beauty! £99.99 is a bargain for that much entertainment. Assuming you like Bond films of course. :)

I'd suggest picking up at least Goldeneye and Tomorrow Never Dies. The ultimate editions are uncut versions and both rated 15 now instead of 12 as a result. Not watched them yet, but looking forward to it!
Last edited by DHP on Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Nervosa » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:37 pm

DHP wrote:Neither could I until I saw HMV had shaved £170 off it in their sale. I used a price-comparison site and saw they were beating everone else by at least £50. Picked it up right there and then. It really is a thing of beauty! £99.99 is a bargain for that much entertainment. Assuming you like Bond films of course. :)

Oh I didn't realise it was down to £100. Last time I looked at it seriously in the shops and it was almost double that. Hmmmm, I'm considering it now! I only own a few Bond films on VHS. I'd love to own them all on DVD.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby DHP » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:39 pm

Nervosa wrote:
DHP wrote:Neither could I until I saw HMV had shaved £170 off it in their sale. I used a price-comparison site and saw they were beating everone else by at least £50. Picked it up right there and then. It really is a thing of beauty! £99.99 is a bargain for that much entertainment. Assuming you like Bond films of course. :)

Oh I didn't realise it was down to £100. Last time I looked at it seriously in the shops and it was almost double that. Hmmmm, I'm considering it now! I only own a few Bond films on VHS. I'd love to own them all on DVD.

Shocked me when I saw it for that price too. The double-disc ultimate editions really are excellent in terms of the presentation of the films and the extras. As I said above, some of the films are uncut versions too, never before seen in the UK. Oh, and the packaging is gorgeous!
DHP

Postby DHP » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:40 pm

This is HMV's online store btw, not their in-store price.
DHP

Postby Stratman » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:43 pm

The West Wing series collections is also unbelievable value. Cost me 230 AUS. Unlike the original releases there are no double sided discs, the boxset is far superior, and it's much cheaper.
Stratman

Postby DHP » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:45 pm

Stratman wrote:The West Wing series collections is also unbelievable value. Cost me 230 AUS. Unlike the original releases there are no double sided discs, the boxset is far superior, and it's much cheaper. [/i]

Takes up less shelf space too doesn't it? I hear there's also a couple of discs of extras too, which the individual releases were sadly lacking. Not a fan of extras anymore as they're all a bit samey, but I'd have loved to see some interview footage with the cast and crew of this wonderful show.

I keep toying with the idea of trading in my individual releases on eBay and getting the box set. I did it with my Only Fools & Horses collection and it only cost me a tenner or so overall when you subtract what you get off eBay from the cost of the new set.
DHP

Postby Nervosa » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:50 pm

DHP wrote:Not a fan of extras anymore as they're all a bit samey,

I'm a bit like that too. As soon as the ends credits role on a DVD, I click the menu button and go straight to 'special features'. I usually always regret it because when you next watch the movie, you notice annoying trivial things (like the prop designer put that log there to hide a cable, and if you look closely, you can see the cable) which distract. At the same time, I love hearing more about the characters and directorial tactics.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Stratman » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:51 pm

I'm not sure that it takes up that much less space shelf, but it's the sexiest boxset I own. I don't quite know what to think of the way the discs are stored in faux folders, though. It certainly looks great stored, but they're not as practical when transporting.

I'm not really a huge fan of featurettes, but I love commentaries.

Btw, do people store their discs in CD wallets or in the boxsets?
Stratman

Postby Nervosa » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:53 pm

Stratman wrote:Btw, do people store their discs in CD wallets or in the boxsets?

I always keep it the way I bought it. And my collection is in alphabetical order (but I'm thinking of arranging according to genre).
Nervosa

Postby Stratman » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:06 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Stratman wrote:Btw, do people store their discs in CD wallets or in the boxsets?

I always keep it the way I bought it. And my collection is in alphabetical order (but I'm thinking of arranging according to genre).

I was doing it according to genre at one point, but I don't have a proper DVD storage unit, so I just have to stick them where there is space. :lol:
Stratman

Postby Wezzo » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:06 pm

I keep DVDs the way I bought them too.

I have a cupboard dedicated to US sitcom, three drawers dedicated to animated sitcom and UK sitcom, a plastic container of US drama, a plastic container of UK drama and music DVDs, and a plastic container of movies.
Wezzo

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:47 pm

I generally keep DVD's as they come, but I do keep my discs from the first series of Doctor Who in plastic wallets, because I tend to avoid touching the bulky TARDIS case, because it's likely to fall to pieces at any moment, despite looking after it very well. I just keep my DVD's on a bookcase.

Regarding Friends, I don't feel that I have enough experience of it to justify voting. I've only seen about 2 episodes, which didn't do anything for me at all. I keep intending to give it a go, but when I sit down to watch it, I just change my mind.
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:24 pm

I voted 'hate it' but that's not entirely fair because I did used to be a fan during seasons 1 and 2. I think it was the 2nd ep of season 3 (the one where no one's ready, which is probably the ep title too :wink: ) when I realised I didn't like a single character on screen in front of me. I only watched it sporadically from then on and I don't think I've seen a single episode after season 5.

I know they had good writers on staff, but for me Friends couldn't lace Frasier's boots.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:50 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:when I realised I didn't like a single character on screen in front of me.

That probably sums it up for me too. Whenever I happen to catch it I just sit there thinking "what a bunch of wankers!"
Bad Ambassador

Postby roz11 » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:04 pm

Will never be as good as Frasier, but still enjoyable gets my vote.
roz11

Postby Amber » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:17 pm

I voted "still enjoyable." Friends is definetly more consistant. While Frasier has some amazing episodes (Ham Radio) and some pretty bad ones (WOTW) Friends episodes are pretty much always halfway inbetween. (Although I'd say the average Frasier is above the average Friends.

I reckon it's because the plots are usualy very seperate. With Friends there's usualy three or four plots going on with different characers or in pairs. (with exceptions, like the Thanksgiving episodes, which usualy have all 6 together) while in Frasier, usualy it's just the one big plot following each character's different roles in the plot.
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:28 am

Bad Ambassador wrote:"what a bunch of wankers!"

That sums it up better! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby me123 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:33 pm

Amber wrote:I reckon it's because the plots are usualy very seperate. With Friends there's usualy three or four plots going on with different characers or in pairs. (with exceptions, like the Thanksgiving episodes, which usualy have all 6 together) while in Frasier, usualy it's just the one big plot following each character's different roles in the plot.

Is it not true though that, in a stand-alone episode, the typical fromat for Frasier is Primary Story-Secondary Story-Collision at climactic moment for humerous effect (hot'n'foamy being a good example of this trend). Whereas, in Friends, it is rarer for the storylines to combine.

I'd also like to say, however, that in both sitcoms, the storylines are generally:

Primary= Serious (releativly)
Secondary= HUmerous and Silly (to an extent)
me123

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:45 pm

me123 wrote:
Amber wrote:I reckon it's because the plots are usualy very seperate. With Friends there's usualy three or four plots going on with different characers or in pairs. (with exceptions, like the Thanksgiving episodes, which usualy have all 6 together) while in Frasier, usualy it's just the one big plot following each character's different roles in the plot.

Is it not true though that, in a stand-alone episode, the typical fromat for Frasier is Primary Story-Secondary Story-Collision at climactic moment for humerous effect (hot'n'foamy being a good example of this trend). Whereas, in Friends, it is rarer for the storylines to combine.

I'd also like to say, however, that in both sitcoms, the storylines are generally:

I think that's true. From what I remember of Friends they very rarely combined the primary and secondary story arcs at the episode's climax. but on Frasier that happened quite a bit. Martin does It His Way is another example of how two seemingly unconnected story threads are brought together for the episode's climax.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:24 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
me123 wrote:

I think that's true. From what I remember of Friends they very rarely combined the primary and secondary story arcs at the episode's climax. but on Frasier that happened quite a bit. Martin does It His Way is another example of how two seemingly unconnected story threads are brought together for the episode's climax.

Friends rarely combines story lines at the end of the show. There are usually two or three plots going at once which will be resolved in the final 2/3 scenes (the primary plot being the final one to be concluded in most cases). The final scene will usually be slightly random but link in with the story in a small way, and used purley for a humour, which I guess is similar to Frasier.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Stratman » Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:58 am

The show runs on the A/B/C plot formula. It's all very fast, and it works.
Stratman

Postby DHP » Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:31 pm

Stratman wrote:The show runs on the A/B/C plot formula. It's all very fast, and it works.

That's it for me. I agree, the two are different, but I see them both as being just as good as each other.
DHP

Postby me123 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:26 pm

DHP wrote:
Stratman wrote:The show runs on the A/B/C plot formula. It's all very fast, and it works.

That's it for me. I agree, the two are different, but I see them both as being just as good as each other.

I personally prefer the "Frasier" formula, but both work well: it's a matter of personal preference.
me123

Postby DHP » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:35 pm

I think that's the bottom line: personal preference. While I enjoy both of these comedies equally, there are other sitcoms which are very popular which I can't stand to watch for any length of time, such as Little Britain or South Park (though I admit both can make me laugh on occasion). While the shows might be popular, I personally really don't like them. That's no reflection or criticism of how well the shows are made, or of their fans by the way.
DHP

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:45 pm

It doesn't look like it's my cup of tea, but I should give it a go before I vote on this poll.

Which season is considered as the best?
Cake for Brains

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes