Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

TATTOOS

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Tattoos

I've got one
29%
I'd like to get one
14%
I'd NEVER get one
57%

Total votes : 14

TATTOOS

Postby Nervosa » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:14 pm

Your thoughts about them...?
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Nervosa » Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:54 pm

I think I'd like to get one. Something that's personal and means something to me. I'm wanting to incorperate the Beatle's lyric "There's nothing you can do that can't be done". Not as a Beatle's tribute, but because I think it's a good, positive phrase to go through life with.

The thing that puts me off is that having a tattoo brands you as a certain 'type' of person. "Oh, I didn't think he'd be the sort to get a tattoo" - which shows there is a stereotype of a person with a tattoo. I wouldn't want my future kids thinking their Dad was/is a thug.

Although I think if it's tasteful and in an inconspicuous location, it wouldn't be too bad. I've personally designed quite a few ideas for myself. Although I haven't come to a definite decision as to whether or not I'll go for it.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Wezzo » Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:12 pm

I'd never get one. Because I'd regret the symbol/quote the next week, I just know it.
Wezzo

Postby Stratman » Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:29 pm

I'd get one if someone else was. That way I could be mildly clever and say ''I'd like a tat-too.'' :lol: I'd make sure it was a ''moth'' tattoo just like the coolest baddest kid of the early 90's, Bart Simpson.
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:15 pm

They're not for me I'm afraid.
Cake for Brains

Postby me123 » Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:31 pm

Apologies to any tattoo bearers or wanabees, but they are, frankly, quite disgusting.
me123

Postby Nervosa » Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:23 pm

I hate seeing people's tattoos on forearms or on the neck. They look horrendous and when the get wrinkly, the look awful. By greatgranda got "Death Before Dishonour" tattooed on his forearm during WWII as he thought he wouldn't make it through the war. But he was stuck with it looking gross on his forearm for years, now 84. He has another terrible one on the other arm, I think even he's unclear about what it is.

My point is that if it's in a nice location and tasteful, it can (and does) look nice.
Nervosa

Postby yay_boredom » Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:48 pm

I'm just not a tatoo fan. I'm more into henna, they're temporary.

I can't imagine having something my entire life that I can't change.
yay_boredom

Postby Davey Boy » Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:13 pm

Nervosa wrote:I think I'd like to get one. Something that's personal and means something to me. I'm wanting to incorperate the Beatle's lyric "There's nothing you can do that can't be done". Not as a Beatle's tribute, but because I think it's a good, positive phrase to go through life with.

The thing that puts me off is that having a tattoo brands you as a certain 'type' of person. "Oh, I didn't think he'd be the sort to get a tattoo" - which shows there is a stereotype of a person with a tattoo. I wouldn't want my future kids thinking their Dad was/is a thug.

Although I think if it's tasteful and in an inconspicuous location, it wouldn't be too bad. I've personally designed quite a few ideas for myself. Although I haven't come to a definite decision as to whether or not I'll go for it.

I completely agree with you. I have thought about having one done, possibly on my leg, but as you say people have preconceptions about people with tatoos. Does anyone remember the Australian athlete from the 2000 olympics? I think her name was Kathy Freeman and she had a tatoo on her arm with the words "cos I'm free" which I thought was pretty cool. The only other thing I would ever possibly do is have any kids I might have names tatooed on me somewhere discreet.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby me123 » Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:50 pm

yay_boredom wrote:I'm just not a tatoo fan. I'm more into henna, they're temporary.

I can't imagine having something my entire life that I can't change.

Of course, you can get it removed by acid :twisted: .

Maybe not...
me123

Postby Nervosa » Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:03 pm

yay_boredom wrote:I can't imagine having something my entire life that I can't change.

Well using that school of thought, you could apply that to hair colour, skin complexion, height, an unfortunate birth mark etc...

There's plenty of things that can't be changed that people live with. For me, personally, if I got a tattoo and didn't like it, I'd file that in "stupid mistake" cabinet and just forget about it.
Nervosa

Postby UrcubanQT » Tue Jan 02, 2007 10:23 pm

I have one, but it was after much careful consideration. I thought about the stigma's that come with wearing a tattoo, but then realized I don't really care one way or the other what people think of me. If they were to judge my character or disrespect me based on some ink on my skin, I figure that's not a person who I would invest my time in anyway. :roll: People don't have to agree with getting them, but it's sad that people, for instance, my grandmother, are disappointed or judge you because of it. I am still the same person, but I chose to put something on my body that has special meaning to ME. I didn't get it for anyone else, to impress anyone else, or offend anyone else. It's a shame that you have to worry for instance, if the job you're applying for will look down on you because of a drawing on your skin, or a piece of metal in your earlobe or nose. I think, that's just not the job for me then. My tattoo is the Chinese symbol for the Tao (which means "the way") on my left wrist. In the "Tao Te Ching", Lao Tzu says the tao "flows like water", and I chose to put it on my wrist to symbolize it flowing through my veins. I would also like to get Socrates' "Know Thyself" in an infinity shaped scroll, (the symbol for infinity has specialy meaning for me too, as well as the teachings of both these philosophers mentioned) but I'm not sure where I would like to put it. I want it where I can see it, that's for sure. I do agree though, sometimes people just get whatever sways them, just because they want one all of a sudden. I think that's a bad idea. I actually had mine henna- tattooed several times before I committed to getting one permanently. It's a good idea to see if you are really willing/ready to have something clearly visible on your skin, and see if you really want it. And if you truly "know yourself" the right decision for you will come to you. :D
Fraiser and Niles: "Oh some boys go to college, but we think they're all wussies...'cause they get all the knowledge, and we get all the--whumpta doompta doompta..."
UrcubanQT

Postby yay_boredom » Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:30 am

Nervosa wrote:
yay_boredom wrote:I can't imagine having something my entire life that I can't change.

Well using that school of thought...

There's plenty of things that can't be changed that people live with. For me, personally, if I got a tattoo and didn't like it, I'd file that in "stupid mistake" cabinet and just forget about it.

I personally don't think I could. But if you can, I envy you.
yay_boredom

Postby Nervosa » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:16 am

UrcubanQT wrote:I have one, but it was after much careful consideration. I thought about the stigma's that come with wearing a tattoo, but then realized I don't really care one way or the other what people think of me. If they were to judge my character or disrespect me based on some ink on my skin, I figure that's not a person who I would invest my time in anyway. :roll: People don't have to agree with getting them, but it's sad that people, for instance, my grandmother, are disappointed or judge you because of it. I am still the same person, but I chose to put something on my body that has special meaning to ME.

VERY well said.
Nervosa

Postby me123 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:38 am

Nervosa wrote:
UrcubanQT wrote:I have one, but it was after much careful consideration. I thought about the stigma's that come with wearing a tattoo, but then realized I don't really care one way or the other what people think of me. If they were to judge my character or disrespect me based on some ink on my skin, I figure that's not a person who I would invest my time in anyway. :roll: People don't have to agree with getting them, but it's sad that people, for instance, my grandmother, are disappointed or judge you because of it. I am still the same person, but I chose to put something on my body that has special meaning to ME.

VERY well said.

Agreed. Despite my earlier rant about them being disgusting, I do not judge people with them or will discourage people from doing so. It is just my view that I don't like them, and to me they do not look attractive in the majority of cases.
me123

Postby Nervosa » Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:44 pm

me123 wrote:
Nervosa wrote:

VERY well said.

Agreed. Despite my earlier rant about them being disgusting, I do not judge people with them or will discourage people from doing so. It is just my view that I don't like them, and to me they do not look attractive in the majority of cases.

I'd agree with that too.
Nervosa

Postby Lilith75 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:55 am

Indeed I do but it took me almost a year to decide on the right design and was lucky enough to have a very talented friend who is an ink artist. I only have one and plan on stopping there...
Lilith75

Postby Rodge » Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:41 pm

I have always thought about getting a big R on one buttock and then a big B on the other, so that when I bend over I spell ROB
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:27 am

Rob wrote:I have always thought about getting a big R on one buttock and then a big B on the other, so that when I bend over I spell ROB

:lol:

Good idea. It's always best to be on first name terms before displaying your anus...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Nervosa » Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:23 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:It's always best to be on first name terms before displaying your anus...

:shock:

I have some apology letters to write...
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:53 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:It's always best to be on first name terms before displaying your anus...

:shock:

I have some apology letters to write...

So does Rob! To the whole of Twickenham I reckon after the last abject display... :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:30 pm

I've got two.

One on my shoulder. Native American style feathers.

One of my calf. It's a Bald Eagle wrapped in an American flag.

I don't regret getting either one of them one bit. And I have had a lot of positive feedback on the one on my calf. I've had it for 5 1/2 years now and it has held it's color really well.

The question I get the most is............did that hurt? And the answer to that is HELL YA!!!!! It hurt a lot! But it was worth it!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby me123 » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:27 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I've got two.

One on my shoulder. Native American style feathers.

One of my calf. It's a Bald Eagle wrapped in an American flag.

I don't regret getting either one of them one bit. And I have had a lot of positive feedback on the one on my calf. I've had it for 5 1/2 years now and it has held it's color really well.

The question I get the most is............did that hurt? And the answer to that is HELL YA!!!!! It hurt a lot! But it was worth it!

As long as you're happy with them. It's also nice to know you're being patriotic. (Us brits seem not so keen on our country...)
me123

Postby Nervosa » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:56 pm

me123 wrote:(Us brits seem not so keen on our country...)

Uhh-oh :shock:
Nervosa

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes