Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Random Polls!

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Should we cut down on the amount of random polls?

Yes
58%
No
42%

Total votes : 12

Random Polls!

Postby me123 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:51 pm

In response to an argument raised by DHP (I think?), Should we cut down the number of random polls in this Off Topic Forum?

I think not, because they are sincerely interesting for the most part!
me123

Postby Frasier » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:56 pm

I agree, we should keep them. They're lively and fun :D
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Nervosa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:57 pm

Voted 'yes'.

I think the number of polls is fine, but the frequency should be a lot less I reckon. I mean, there's about 5 of these popping up each day now. Polls are fun, but I think they should be slightly less frequent.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Frasier » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:02 pm

Nervosa wrote:Voted 'yes'.

I think the number of polls is fine, but the frequency should be a lot less I reckon. I mean, there's about 5 of these popping up each day now. Polls are fun, but I think they should be slightly less frequent.

What do you think the frequency should be? 1 a day? 1 every 2 days?

Perhaps you're right. :wink:
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Nervosa » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:06 pm

Maybe once every 3/4/5 days. I don't have anything against random polls, but they become annoying when they're so frequent.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby DHP » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:34 pm

Nervosa wrote:Maybe once every 3/4/5 days. I don't have anything against random polls, but they become annoying when they're so frequent.

That's basically my feeling. I've got nothing against a bit of random fun, but to have these things so often makes me wonder if that's all this site is about anymore.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:33 am

DHP wrote:
Nervosa wrote:Maybe once every 3/4/5 days. I don't have anything against random polls, but they become annoying when they're so frequent.

That's basically my feeling. I've got nothing against a bit of random fun, but to have these things so often makes me wonder if that's all this site is about anymore.

Y'know, it used to be just the Mods who could instigate a poll. Bring back the good old days, eh?
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Davey Boy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:55 am

I went with yes too. I don't mind the polls at all and obviously if you don't want to vote you don't have too but I find that so many pop up that I don't have time to look through everyones responses and think about how I would like to vote myself. I think the quantity is probably reducing the number of respondants...
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:40 am

Davey Boy wrote:I think the quantity is probably reducing the number of respondants...

A very good point.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Frasier » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:51 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Davey Boy wrote:I think the quantity is probably reducing the number of respondants...

A very good point.

That could be right, but I think its more to do with the popularity of the poll. How many people like it enough to vote. I mean, say if for a whole week there were no polls at all. And Somebody set up the savoury or sweet poll, do you think that would dramatically raise the turnout? Its hard to say imo.
Frasier

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:06 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Y'know, it used to be just the Mods who could instigate a poll. Bring back the good old days, eh?

No! No! No! I want the power to create a poll!
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Amber » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:11 pm

I votes "yes" I think you should only be able to make a poll for something you really want to do. It's easy to tell that for some polls, people have just quickly watched a TV show or read a book or whatever and straightaway thought, "Hey, I'll make a poll about that."

I would say maybe one poll a week, per person. Not that many people make polled anyway, so that should at least cut down significantly :) But still give people freedom to create polls. The rule needent be too strict, just for thos people who continuously break it :)
Huge Frasier/Beatles fan ^_^

Martin: Daphne, I just thought of something funny - it took 3 Cranes to lift you!
Hungry Heart - After Daphne is helped up by Niles, Frasier and Martin.
Amber

Postby Davey Boy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:11 pm

Amber wrote:I votes "yes" I think you should only be able to make a poll for something you really want to do. It's easy to tell that for some polls, people have just quickly watched a TV show or read a book or whatever and straightaway thought, "Hey, I'll make a poll about that."

I would say maybe one poll a week, per person. Not that many people make polled anyway, so that should at least cut down significantly :) But still give people freedom to create polls. The rule needent be too strict, just for thos people who continuously break it :)

I was thinking that an idea like that would work too.
Woody: Pour you a beer, Mr. Peterson?

Norm: Alright, but stop me at one. Make that one-thirty.
Davey Boy

Postby Frasier » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:14 am

Davey Boy wrote:
Amber wrote:I votes "yes" I think you should only be able to make a poll for something you really want to do. It's easy to tell that for some polls, people have just quickly watched a TV show or read a book or whatever and straightaway thought, "Hey, I'll make a poll about that."

I was thinking that an idea like that would work too.

Personally I wouldn't like that largely because what about polls that require a multiple number, like cakeforbrain's excellent Frasier Forum awards. 1 poll a week would be significantly reducing freedom, IMO.

I don't think there should be rules as such, rather convention. If someone steps out of line, hopefully they should be able to see it. Possibly because they were told not to post too many polls. Secondly if they see the general consesus of the posters.

One thing I think is perhaps more important than reducing polls is increasing the turnout in polls. It would be much better that in some polls more 5/6 people vote. Polls are fun, and there's not TOO much.

:D
Frasier

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:01 pm

Frasier wrote:Personally I wouldn't like that largely because what about polls that require a multiple number, like cakeforbrain's excellent Frasier Forum awards. 1 poll a week would be significantly reducing freedom, IMO.

We could revolt! The Revolution of Frasier Online! We will no longer be oppressed!

Has there ever been an online revolution before?
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby me123 » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:55 pm

I'm surprised by the results, but the public have spoken....
me123

Postby DHP » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:44 pm

me123 wrote:I'm surprised by the results, but the public have spoken....

The general view seems to be that the polls are fine in themselves, but people have been a bit trigger-happy about starting new ones about any old thing recently. Personally I don't think there should be rules like a maximum of 1 per week per person as that kinda detracts from the relaxed nature of the site. It was just that for a while, there could be as many as 3 or 4 new polls per day. I guess there are valid arguments for and against whether that's excessive, but as has been said, the majority seem to feel it's got a bit out of hand as of late.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 23, 2006 1:55 pm

DHP wrote:

The general view seems to be that the polls are fine in themselves, but people have been a bit trigger-happy about starting new ones about any old thing recently. Personally I don't think there should be rules like a maximum of 1 per week per person as that kinda detracts from the relaxed nature of the site. It was just that for a while, there could be as many as 3 or 4 new polls per day. I guess there are valid arguments for and against whether that's excessive, but as has been said, the majority seem to feel it's got a bit out of hand as of late.

Very well summarised.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:52 pm

Indeed. All 7 of them.

Perhaps if there were larger turnouts at polls, then that might make polls more sparingly used, as people tend to post new polls when they think that old ones have collapsed. -Just a point of view.
Frasier

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:57 pm

Frasier wrote:

Indeed. All 7 of them.

Perhaps if there were larger turnouts at polls, then that might make polls more sparingly used, as people tend to post new polls when they think that old ones have collapsed. -Just a point of view.

I see you point but I think it's more likely that people have become jaded by so many of them. Also, I'm not sure how many people you think are going to participate in a given poll, but even though this site has over 650 members, probably only 20-30 of them are 'active' here at any one time. So you're probably not going to get too many more than 10-15 votes in a week-long poll, for example.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 23, 2006 8:06 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Frasier wrote:

Indeed. All 7 of them.

I see you point but I think it's more likely that people have become jaded by so many of them. Also, I'm not sure how many people you think are going to participate in a given poll, but even though this site has over 650 members, probably only 20-30 of them are 'active' here at any one time. So you're probably not going to get too many more than 10-15 votes in a week-long poll, for example.

Yeah I see what you mean. So it is, infact better to have a 1-2 popular polls in the week rather than a cluster of weird polls.
Frasier

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Dec 24, 2006 3:16 pm

Maybe we should create polls asking whether or not we should create more polls. :)

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Dec 25, 2006 1:35 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Maybe we should create polls asking whether or not we should create more polls. :)

I believe that's what this is.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby me123 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:32 am

Yup, I can see that it's the frequency that everyone's protesting against. I have to admit that the sudden barage of random questions surpised me when I logged on.
me123

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes