Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Star Wars? Wars of the Stars...

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Which Star Wars Film is the best?

Poll ended at Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:17 pm

Episode I. The Phantom Menace
7%
Episode II. Attack of the Clones
No votes
Episode III. Revenge of the Sith
No votes
Episode IV. A New Hope
36%
Episode V. The Empire Strikes Back
50%
Episode VI. Return of the Jedi
7%

Total votes : 14

Star Wars? Wars of the Stars...

Postby Frasier » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:17 pm

Hello Everyone,
I thought a Star Wars was a great series, but I know there is great debate as to which episode is the best!

So, Here is a vote as to which Film, of the six, was the best. In every respect- Actors, tech, story, music(little variance between episodes) etc
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Frasier » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:18 pm

I personally think its a tough one between 1,3 and 5, but I really like episode one almost solely because of the Duel of fates :P
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:30 pm

Frasier wrote:I personally think its a tough one between 1,3 and 5, but I really like episode one almost solely because of the Duel of fates :P

I assume you mean the score, rather than the scene over which the score played? In either case I totally agree - that piece of music is the best John Williams has composed in over 20 years (and the light-sabre duel with Darth Maul was great too!)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:50 pm

Oh, and I voted for Empire..., btw.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:55 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Frasier wrote:I personally think its a tough one between 1,3 and 5, but I really like episode one almost solely because of the Duel of fates :P

I assume you mean the score, rather than the scene over which the score played? In either case I totally agree - that piece of music is the best John Williams has composed in over 20 years (and the light-sabre duel with Darth Maul was great too!)

Oh definitely. The score and the duel complimented each other brilliantly. It's one of the greatest works of Williams and of the choreographers of the duel!
Last edited by Frasier on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frasier

Postby Paul B » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:09 am

I love Empire Strikes Back. It's so much more mature than the others, it has such a wonderful atmosphere and a great story. Star Wars would come second, followed by Return of the Jedi. Episodes I and II are simply too horrible to mention, and III is merely okay - the prequels never managed to live up to the brilliant originals.
Paul B

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:42 am

Paul B wrote:I love Empire Strikes Back. It's so much more mature than the others, it has such a wonderful atmosphere and a great story. Star Wars would come second, followed by Return of the Jedi. Episodes I and II are simply too horrible to mention, and III is merely okay - the prequels never managed to live up to the brilliant originals.

Pretty much echoes my thoughts, except I did quite enjoy TPM the last time I saw it, which surprised me. Probably for the reasons mentioned above.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:16 pm

There have been so many opinions on this issue that I don't know who to trust:

Is George Lucas going to redo episodes 4,5 and 6 OR carry on the Sextet?
Frasier

Postby Paul B » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:38 pm

He has already redone the original trilogy, twice, with some pretty appalling changes. I doubt that will stop him from editing it further.

A third trilogy would be nice, but I don't see that there's any stories left to tell.
Paul B

Postby Frasier » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:00 pm

Paul B wrote:He has already redone the original trilogy, twice, with some pretty appalling changes. I doubt that will stop him from editing it further.

A third trilogy would be nice, but I don't see that there's any stories left to tell.

I know he did the edits, I was thinking about COMPLETE reshoots with different actors etc.

Is it true that when Episode 4 was shot, they completely wiped the original and started from scatch on it?
Frasier

Postby Frasier » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:02 pm

What did people like at TESB so much?

I liked it for the Darth Vader-Luke developement etc, and the Han Solo and chewie action.

But what do others think, Why was TESB so good?
Frasier

Postby Sideshow Meg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:14 pm

I hate all Star Wars films, aargh.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Paul B » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:41 pm

Then why bother posting here? Just to piss the Star Wars fans off? If you're not going to elaborate on your 'thoughts' then don't click this thread again.

I'm sorry, but people taking time out of their lives just to say they dislike something to a bunch of people who share the opposite opinion really irks me.
Paul B

Postby Stratman » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:44 pm

A New Hope for me.
Stratman

Postby Sideshow Meg » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Paul B wrote:Then why bother posting here? Just to piss the Star Wars fans off? If you're not going to elaborate on your 'thoughts' then don't click this thread again.

I'm sorry, but people taking time out of their lives just to say they dislike something to a bunch of people who share the opposite opinion really irks me.

It was just to give my opnion, since this is an opinion poll. I have no problem with people liking the films, I can see why they would. I just don't.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Frasier » Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:01 pm

Sideshow Meg wrote:
Paul B wrote:Then why bother posting here? Just to piss the Star Wars fans off? If you're not going to elaborate on your 'thoughts' then don't click this thread again.

It was just to give my opnion, since this is an opinion poll. I have no problem with people liking the films, I can see why they would. I just don't.

Have you seen the Star Wars films? What is it you don't like about them? 8-)
Frasier

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:26 am

That's a bit harsh, Paul. I realise it's the brevity of Meg's post that has irked you, but she has as much right as you do to post here.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby DHP » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 pm

Frasier wrote:
Paul B wrote:He has already redone the original trilogy, twice, with some pretty appalling changes. I doubt that will stop him from editing it further.

I know he did the edits, I was thinking about COMPLETE reshoots with different actors etc.

Is it true that when Episode 4 was shot, they completely wiped the original and started from scatch on it?

He can't reshoot the originals with different actors. People forget this, but Episode 4 actually won 7 oscars, and was nominated for a further 4 (including best film, writing, directing and supporting actor). You don't sweep films that are critically, publically and commercially recognised as classics under the rug and pretend they never happened. Making changes is one thing (personally I don't mind the visual/audio effects updates, or even the new scenes), but to dispose of the films altogether is something he just won't do as he knows how loved the originals are. It would be pointless to remake them anyway.

Just out of curiosity, did you hear that from somewhere in particular? When I saw it posted here, that was the first I'd ever seen mentioned of it, and I'm the kind of guy who watches all the documentary footage on the Star Wars DVDs and reads up on as much behind-the-scenes info on those films as he can.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Frasier » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:28 pm

He can't reshoot the originals with different actors.

He could if he wanted to, despite the success. Whats more, I thought I'd heard that he was considering it. :)
Frasier

Postby DHP » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:42 pm

Frasier wrote:
He can't reshoot the originals with different actors.

He could if he wanted to, despite the success. Whats more, I thought I'd heard that he was considering it. :)

I think that's just rumours. And when I said he can't do it, that wasn't the irrational fanboy in me screaming out in protest. If you read all of my post, he himself is aware that the first two at least are regarded by nearly every credited critic as being in the top 10 finest films in history. And from the documentaries which he himself has contributed to, he's well aware that the first film in particular is responsible for redefining popular entertainment, cinema and the special effects and sound industries. So when I say he can't do it, obviously he could if he wanted to, but he knows that those films are too precious not only to the fans, but as pieces of history in themselves, to be discarded casually.

It's like the Gus Van Sant version of Psycho, which was shot scene-for-scene like the original, except in colour and with modern actors - pointless! When Van Sant was asked in an interview why he bothered to do it, he said "so other filmmakers would know not to."

Sure, he keeps making 'improvements' (as he sees them), but the reason he makes changes to the originals rather than remaking them completely is because he loves those originals and wants them to be the best they can be, rather than chucking them and starting from scratch.

Besides which, he's admitted in an interview on dozens of occasions over the last decade or so that he's done with making more Star Wars films after the third prequel finished. His next project as a director is about native Americans who flew in WWII, and Indiana Jones IV is in the works for him as a producer too. Wherever you heard this rumour, I think it's something to be taken with a pinch of salt really.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes