Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Favourite theme tune

A forum for any Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum

Favourite theme tune

Cheers
44%
Taxi
11%
Family Ties
6%
Mork and Mindy
No votes
Happy Days
17%
Sanford and Son
6%
The Jeffersons
No votes
Friends
17%

Total votes : 18

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:41 pm

Stratman wrote:Really? I've always found it rather boring; it's certainly grand, but it doesn't gather momentum as it goes, it stays constant which just doesn't psych me at all.

The Twin Peaks theme doesn't exactly gather momentum, does it? :) It is superb though.

The Doctor Who theme does, I'd say - it starts with four loads of the 'du-nu-du-nus' and then launches into the main chunk (the 'oooh-oooh-ooooooohs'), and then the 'middle 8'. There are three very distinct bits to it!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Stratman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:20 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Stratman wrote:Really? I've always found it rather boring; it's certainly grand, but it doesn't gather momentum as it goes, it stays constant which just doesn't psych me at all.

The Twin Peaks theme doesn't exactly gather momentum, does it? :)

It never psyched me up, either.

The Doctor Who theme does, I'd say - it starts with four loads of the 'du-nu-du-nus' and then launches into the main chunk (the 'oooh-oooh-ooooooohs'), and then the 'middle 8'. There are three very distinct bits to it!

That's true, but there not that distinct, IMHO. Anyway, it's all a matter of taste... yes, sir. My favourite is, and has been for a long time, the ER theme. Sublime stuff that.
Stratman

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:44 pm

Stratman wrote:That's true, but there not that distinct, IMHO. Anyway, it's all a matter of taste... yes, sir. My favourite is, and has been for a long time, the ER theme. Sublime stuff that.

Conversely, much as I like the ER theme I don't think it really leads anywhere or kicks in!

The very early Casualty theme tune was great, too. It's terrible these days though.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:02 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:

The Twin Peaks theme doesn't exactly gather momentum, does it? :) It is superb though.

That's an extremely good description! :lol:

Just out of interest, can you describe the '80's Davison-era theme as well? There's a distinct ooomph to that tune!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:04 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Stratman wrote:That's true, but there not that distinct, IMHO. Anyway, it's all a matter of taste... yes, sir. My favourite is, and has been for a long time, the ER theme. Sublime stuff that.

Conversely, much as I like the ER theme I don't think it really leads anywhere or kicks in!

I feel the exact opposite way. We'll have to agree to disagree, I think.
Stratman

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:37 pm

Stratman wrote:I feel the exact opposite way. We'll have to agree to disagree, I think.

For a change! :lol:
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:40 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Just out of interest, can you describe the '80's Davison-era theme as well? There's a distinct ooomph to that tune!

All of the Doctor Who theme tunes have the same basic ingredients really, to a greater or lesser extent - the Davison version has less of the opening 'du-nu-du-nus' for example, and doesn't have the weird closing sounds (I can't even begin to imagine what word to type for those!), instead opting for that great big crash! I remember when I was little I used to get really excited when that star appeared and then flew straight back at the camera, thinking it looked like someone was throwing a can of white paint at the screen.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:32 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Just out of interest, can you describe the '80's Davison-era theme as well? There's a distinct ooomph to that tune!

All of the Doctor Who theme tunes have the same basic ingredients really, to a greater or lesser extent - the Davison version has less of the opening 'du-nu-du-nus' for example, and doesn't have the weird closing sounds (I can't even begin to imagine what word to type for those!), instead opting for that great big crash! I remember when I was little I used to get really excited when that star appeared and then flew straight back at the camera, thinking it looked like someone was throwing a can of white paint at the screen.

Hehe, yes the Davison closing credits are much more memorable to me from my childhood. There was something particularly exciting about that opening theme, and closing credits. I would try and guess which star would come back at the screen! :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:49 pm

What did you make of the Slyvestor McCoy theme music BN - its definitely my least favourite. Hopefully the link below will let you see/hear it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CCV4ES1lM4E
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Outlaw Laser Robo Geek » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:35 pm

Cheers definitely gets my vote without a shadow of a doubt.

Just listened to the Family Ties one just now and it's not that bad to be honest and it's kind of weird to see Michael J. Fox in an earlier role. This was before Back to the Future wasn't it?

I would like to mention The Wonder Years theme tune. Always loved that one!
I'll get one of these one day...
Outlaw Laser Robo Geek

Postby Nervosa » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:37 pm

Outlaw Laser Robo Geek wrote:before Back to the Future wasn't it?

There's an odd sentence!
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:19 am

Cake for Brains wrote:What did you make of the Slyvestor McCoy theme music BN - its definitely my least favourite. Hopefully the link below will let you see/hear it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CCV4ES1lM4E

Cheers for the link Cakey but I'm in the office right now so can't play it.

I can't remember the theme tune when it changed in the mid-eighties. BA said it's not very good - it's hard to believe someone managed to make that theme anything other than electrifying!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:29 am

Outlaw Laser Robo Geek wrote:Just listened to the Family Ties one just now and it's not that bad to be honest and it's kind of weird to see Michael J. Fox in an earlier role. This was before Back to the Future wasn't it?

Michael J. Fox filmed the first Back to the Future film while he was filming the third season of Family Ties. It was pretty gruelling for him; he'd be filming Family Ties by day and Back to the Future at night, and he'd only get about two hours' sleep a night. For the daytime scenes in Back to the Future, they had to film them on the weekends.

Family Ties ran from 1982 - 1989.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:36 pm

Well, I've decided to vote for the Taxi theme. I love the Hammond Organ sound on that one. At least, I think it's a Hammond...
Stratman

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:44 am

Beer Necessity wrote:I can't remember the theme tune when it changed in the mid-eighties. BA said it's not very good - it's hard to believe someone managed to make that theme anything other than electrifying!

It's not attrocious or anything, but it has dated terribly, more so than any of the earlier versions (and that's always a bad sign).

I do have a bit of a soft spot for it though seeing as that was the era when I really got into the show, and I think the visual side of it is quite interesting.
Bad Ambassador

Postby StiffUpperLip » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:33 am

LOL - "Saber Rider and The Star-Sheriffs"
StiffUpperLip

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:52 am

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I can't remember the theme tune when it changed in the mid-eighties. BA said it's not very good - it's hard to believe someone managed to make that theme anything other than electrifying!

It's not attrocious or anything, but it has dated terribly, more so than any of the earlier versions (and that's always a bad sign).

I do have a bit of a soft spot for it though seeing as that was the era when I really got into the show, and I think the visual side of it is quite interesting.

I'm looking forward to some Baker/McCoy episodes appearing on UK Gold - I've hardly seen any from that era.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:21 am

I'm looking forward to some Baker/McCoy episodes appearing on UK Gold - I've hardly seen any from that era.

I want them to go through the Davison era - I've only seen about four stories, so there's lots I've got to look forward too.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:31 am

Cake for Brains wrote:

I want them to go through the Davison era - I've only seen about four stories, so there's lots I've got to look forward too.

Oh yeah me too, but I know I watched most of them when they were first broadcast.

Anyway, I'm dying to hear the terribly dated theme tune!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:48 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Anyway, I'm dying to hear the terribly dated theme tune!

The anticipation will likely prove better than the reality!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:45 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Anyway, I'm dying to hear the terribly dated theme tune!

The anticipation will likely prove better than the reality!

:lol: No doubt!

Art imitates life once more. Or is it the other way around...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:08 pm

Thinking about it, I suppose the reason I like the Family Ties theme song so much is because I think it sounds, sweet, quite sentimental, and innocent. It reminds me of what I feel are more innocent times, and makes me feel nostalgic, and also a bit sad that time has moved on. I mean, look at Michael J. Fox on Family Ties, and think of him today, having had Parkinson's Disease for 16 years. I guess that's the reason I like it, apart from liking the tune itself.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Frasier » Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:56 pm

I voted for Happy Days. It is a happy tune.

Incidently some of those videos don't work becuase of violation. You know what that is? Its the evil monster -Google- thats taken over Youtube :twisted:
Don't get me started on rationalistic pantheism or there go the whole three hours!
Frasier

Previous

Return to Off Topic Games / Polls / Quizzes