Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What would make a good Frasier spin-off?

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

What would make a good Frasier spin-off?

Postby Frasiertime » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:55 pm

A sitcom called Frederick and since they're all related to him, the rest of the cast would be perfect guest stars. Better yet, Frasier could live in the same apartment building as Freddie.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Re: What would make a good Frasier spin-off?

Postby Eddie2012 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 am

Freddy, really? Whilst doing what, going to university? I can’t think of that character being interesting enough, especially if the same actor stayed on. And they would all have to live at least nearby to make (much needed) guest appearances happen. But even then, Roz would have no reason for visiting at all, Daphne and Niles not so much either, Martin and Ronee are not interesting or funny enough to make guest appearances worthwhile, and Frasier living in the same building, well… then they could just continue with the show ‘Frasier’ :D

Roz had some potential, maybe teaming up with Bulldog and Gil. But I think that still would most likely have ended like ‘Joey’ from ‘Friends’, who in the end didn’t have enough pulling power to be successful on his own.

What could possibly have worked, I think, would have been a Daphne and Niles spin-off – IF they had not altered their characters in S7-11 so dramatically into this loved up yet boring couple with ordinary real-live problems. But had they stayed true to their S1-6 characters, it might have been funny to watch kooky, frank Daphne and fussy, sensitive Niles trying to establish a live together whilst caring for a screaming baby (clean-freak Niles changing nappies?). But even so, I think that would have been funny only for so long.
Eddie2012

Postby Prehensile1982 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:25 pm

Was there any particular reason why Kelsey Grammer didn't want to play Frasier any more?

I've often wondered why something wasn't done with Frasier and Anne in Chicago.
Prehensile1982

Postby Eddie2012 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:42 pm

Frasier and Charlotte.

Well, he played the character for 20 years...
Eddie2012

Postby Frasiertime » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:Freddy, really? Whilst doing what, going to university? I can’t think of that character being interesting enough, especially if the same actor stayed on. And they would all have to live at least nearby to make (much needed) guest appearances happen. But even then, Roz would have no reason for visiting at all, Daphne and Niles not so much either, Martin and Ronee are not interesting or funny enough to make guest appearances worthwhile, and Frasier living in the same building, well… then they could just continue with the show ‘Frasier’ :D

Roz had some potential, maybe teaming up with Bulldog and Gil. But I think that still would most likely have ended like ‘Joey’ from ‘Friends’, who in the end didn’t have enough pulling power to be successful on his own.

What could possibly have worked, I think, would have been a Daphne and Niles spin-off – IF they had not altered their characters in S7-11 so dramatically into this loved up yet boring couple with ordinary real-live problems. But had they stayed true to their S1-6 characters, it might have been funny to watch kooky, frank Daphne and fussy, sensitive Niles trying to establish a live together whilst caring for a screaming baby (clean-freak Niles changing nappies?). But even so, I think that would have been funny only for so long.

Another Frasier show would be the best, but not likely to happen. The only way a spin-off would be interesting is with Kelsey in it. Being a regular, but not appearing in every episode might work. Freddie would be finished with the university and into a career.

I think most of the Cheers guest appearances (with the exception of Lilith) weren't very interesting because the characters no longer had a reason to be in Frasier's life. Freddie's relatives are still part of his life and that might make it interesting. Just thinking....
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:Freddy, really? Whilst doing what, going to university? I can’t think of that character being interesting enough, especially if the same actor stayed on. And they would all have to live at least nearby to make (much needed) guest appearances happen. But even then, Roz would have no reason for visiting at all, Daphne and Niles not so much either, Martin and Ronee are not interesting or funny enough to make guest appearances worthwhile, and Frasier living in the same building, well… then they could just continue with the show ‘Frasier’ :D

I've never seen Joey, what's that like?
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Eddie2012 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:26 pm

No idea, I just know that it was only running for 2 seasons or so before it was pulled off the air.
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 pm

Let's see. Frasier was only a recurring Character on Cheers. Of course toward the end of the series he was there almost every episode but the first season (for him) and even the second there could be several episodes in a row where he'd be mentioned in passing, by Diane usually. So a similar spin-off of Frasier could be a show called "Bulldog" or "Gil", although for the life of me, I can't imagine either of these carrying an entire show on their own. We'd get sick of them in no time.
Last edited by Patrick on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:31 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:No idea, I just know that it was only running for 2 seasons or so before it was pulled off the air.

Two seasons is not bad, Whoopi Goldberg with all her talent, couldn't last beyond the first one.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Eddie2012 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:49 pm

In the case of 'Joey' I can imagine the expectations being just too high, with 'Friends' being such a success and Frasier as a spin-off marking new heights of success... Who knows...
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 pm

Well, maybe twenty years from now they'll make a movie out of it the way they did with other series like Wild Wild west, Mission impossible, Bewitched, The Avengers... Let's hope it'll fare better than these though. Just imagine, the future Frasier could still be a teenager, nay a child and have no idea that one day... :wink:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:12 pm

Patrick wrote:Well, maybe twenty years from now they'll make a movie out of it the way they did with other series like Wild Wild west, Mission impossible, Bewitched, The Avengers... Let's hope it'll fare better than these though. Just imagine, the future Frasier could still be a teenager, nay a child and have no idea that one day... :wink:

ANY movie based on a TV show has to be better than The Avengers. That was one of the worse movies I've ever seen in my life. My friends and I literally laughed through half of it because it was awful.

The Wild, Wild West was sort of "meh" and Mission Impossible was good (the first one.)

I'd hate to see a big screen version of Frasier. I hope they don't ever do that.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:11 pm

Joey wasn't that bad a show, really. S1 was a bit 'meh' but i thought S2 was starting to find it's feet nicely when it got canned.

The Avengers and Wild Wild West were pretty terrible movie adaptations :D Some that i can think of that worked are Mission Impossible, some of the Star Trek movies, Addams Family Values, Naked gun, The Fugitive.

I'm in the camp that couldn't imagine ever wanting to see a Frasier movie. And I have no desire to see any tv reunion - outside of a documentary type thing or interview show.

Can't think of any particular Frasier spin-off i'd be that bothered about. Mind, who'd have confidently thought a Frasier spin-off would ever work from Cheers back in the day? It's never going to be a viable option, anyway. TV world's a crazy thing for ownership rights and whatnot. A spin-off is generally a tricky thing to get sorted out. A spin off of a spin off would be a right headbuster :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Eddie2012 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:45 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I'm in the camp that couldn't imagine ever wanting to see a Frasier movie. And I have no desire to see any tv reunion

Me neither. They would have to either get new actors for the roles should they want a movie to take place in the original timeframe, which would definitely not work for me, or get the old crew in - but do I really want to see F/N/D/M/R 10, 15 years along the line... I don't think so.
Eddie2012

Postby ProOperaVoter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:40 am

Anything, anything but the Moons. Daphne was okay, probably the worst of the five principal parts, but I couldn't bear her relatives. I would kinda like to see more of Martin's police days...
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby ProOperaVoter » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:34 pm

But on second thoug, a spin off would be dumb. A spin off off a spin off? Christ, what's next? A pet for a pet?
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby tgirl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:00 pm

A Frasier spin-off wouldn't be a good thing because it could never live up to Frasier and Kelsey, David, Jane, John and Peri probably wouldn't agree to be part of it because they have moved on to other things. Even worse would be a show about Freddie, he just isn't a character that anybody could care much for to watch a show about him. In season 11 he was downright boring. I think we can be happy we had Frasier for 11 years and put the characters to rest and enjoy re-watching what was created over the 11 years for our viewing pleasure.
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Postby Patrick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:37 pm

ProOperaVoter wrote:But on second thoug, a spin off would be dumb. A spin off off a spin off? Christ, what's next? A pet for a pet?

"Eddie is a pet. he doesn't get to have a pet!" :wink:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Patrick » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Well, a spin-off of Frasier a la Frasier would need only one recurrent Character from the show ( as Frasier was to Cheers) and maybe a second one that would appear only sporadically (as did Lilith) and maybe a handful of guest appearances of some of the rest.

So first you have to pick one Character from Frasier like maybe Roz.

She's just been promoted to manager of KACL so you could see her in that same position like maybe 15 years down the road. She would be surrounded by an entirely new staff (except maybe for one or two) and the show would revolve around her dealings with the people at KACL, her 20? year old daughter...etc.

I think that would qualify as a spin-off and with good writers, maybe even a good one.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby ProOperaVoter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:30 am

Patrick may be touching on something there, but I still think it's kinda...well, dumb-ass to make a spin-off of a spin-off.

Although one with the Moon family may be (despite being unbearable :wink: ) hilarious and interesting.
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Roverman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 pm

Hi long time lurker first time poster!

I for one would love to see Frasier return to the screens in one way or another, a film or Christmas Special would be fantastic. However if thats not meant to be then a spin off would be the next best thing. It wouldn't be the first time a spin off has had its own spin off, over here in the UK back in the 60s Coronation Street had a spin off called Pardon the Expression and then Turn out the Lights was spun off from that when it finished.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_out_the_Lights

I like the idea of following Roz as she runs KACL, god knows what it must be like to manage Kenny! Alice would now be 14/15 so it would be interesting to see how Roz copes with a teenage daughter, now the question is should Alice be a 'mini me' of Roz or would it be more fun to portray her as the total opposite, in the style of Saffy in the UK show Absolutely Fabulous.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby ProOperaVoter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:47 pm

There's something that has been bugging me, but it didn't seem making a whole new thread for it. Did Frasier choose Chicago over San Francisco, love over career, or did he simply go to Chicago to meet up with Charlotte: maybe to invite her to join him San Fran? Please help me.
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Patrick » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:27 pm

ProOperaVoter wrote:There's something that has been bugging me, but it didn't seem making a whole new thread for it. Did Frasier choose Chicago over San Francisco, love over career, or did he simply go to Chicago to meet up with Charlotte: maybe to invite her to join him San Fran? Please help me.

I think that part is left to the imagination of the spectator.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby TylerRodan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:49 pm

I think they should do a spin-off with Frederick as the main character (given my avatar, not a surprise I have a special place in my heart for Freddie), and Frasier has to move in with him. It would be a nice take on Frasier's relationship with Martin, only the tables will have turned and Freddie will have to humor Frasier's snobbery and shallowness.
TylerRodan

Postby ProOperaVoter » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:44 pm

Patrick wrote:
ProOperaVoter wrote:There's something that has been bugging me, but it didn't seem making a whole new thread for it. Did Frasier choose Chicago over San Francisco, love over career, or did he simply go to Chicago to meet up with Charlotte: maybe to invite her to join him San Fran? Please help me.

I think that part is left to the imagination of the spectator.

But how do you see it?
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes