Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Did Niles Marry Maris for Love or Money?

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Love
No votes
Money
100%

Total votes : 1

Postby Frasiertime » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:15 pm

I was never quite sure which it was-maybe a little of both?
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Re: Did Niles Marry Maris for Love or Money?

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 pm

:twisted: I don't think he had much say in the matter :lol:
I seem to remember Niles telling the story of how he used to go by admiring the houses, and one day Maris summoned him over, and I think he pretty much did everything she told him to ever since.

I think he was a little overwhealmed by her strict personality, and although I think money may have been an extra bonus, I think her social standing would be more of an enticement to the snob side of Niles.

From that perspective, I think he'd prefere a poor countess over a rich commoner.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Forever Jung wrote:...From that perspective, I think he'd prefere a poor countess over a rich commoner.

In that case, I wonder if he would have married her, had he known back then that she owed her status to the wholesale production of urinal cakes.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:25 pm

:twisted: The shocked reaction from Niles, and the fact that it's such a bargaining chip (a very successful one at that) shows that their circle of friends would think her a lot less blue blooded because of where her money came from.

But Niles wasn't one of societies elite when he met her, and he never would expected to become such, so I don't know if where she got her money would affect him so much.
In other words, beggars can't be choosers. :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:46 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: The shocked reaction from Niles, and the fact that it's such a bargaining chip (a very successful one at that) shows that their circle of friends would think her a lot less blue blooded because of where her money came from.

But Niles wasn't one of societies elite when he met her, and he never would expected to become such, so I don't know if where she got her money would affect him so much.
In other words, beggars can't be choosers. :lol:

That Maris is a strange creature, I can't help picturing her as some kind of ET (phone home ET that is. :lol: ) They never said that she has a long finger that glows in the dark, did they? :D

Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:01 pm

:twisted: "ET go Switzerland, get elbows done" :lol:

I like the exchange in Voyage Of The Damned (right ep?) where Roz says she's never seen Maris' face, and Frasier replies "I've not seen her new one either so it'll be a new experience for both of us" :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 pm

:lol:

I think Niles loved Maris but, as FJ mentions, he must've loved the prospect of the status amongst high-society circles that the coupling would bring!
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Eddie2012 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:20 am

I also find that a third option is missing: Social Status.

I would never say he married her for her money, but I also don’t think that real love was the reason. I imagine him more being swept off his feet by her delicate, helpless appearance , the jet set lifestyle, the social status. More like a teenager admiring a pop star, thinking they’re in love, when they’re really just blinded by the stardom, if you know what I mean.

On the other hand, who on earth would let anyone treat himself like Maris treated Niles for, what, 12 years, without being completely in love…? Difficult.
Eddie2012

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes