Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What character's house/apartment would you most like to live

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Favourite house/apartment

Elliot Bay Towers
22
51%
The Montana
12
28%
The Shangrila
1
2%
Martin's flat (from the Good Son)
1
2%
Maris and Niles' house
5
12%
Roz's apartment
2
5%
 
Total votes : 43

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:31 pm

The one thing that bothered me about Frasier's flat (which I find magnificent, minus the African art and the ugly doors) is the lack of bookshelves. There are two (from what I could see) in his room (and a few books in the living room) but there were lots of other things on them as well, so the grand total of books in Frasier's flat is disappointingly small for someone who likes to read that much. It's true that he used to have a whole study which had to be turned into Daphne's room, and that he mentions having books in the storage space, but a flat such as Frasier's is sort of incomplete without a lot of books (at least to me).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:26 pm

PistolPoet wrote:The one thing that bothered me about Frasier's flat (which I find magnificent, minus the African art and the ugly doors) is the lack of bookshelves. There are two (from what I could see) in his room (and a few books in the living room) but there were lots of other things on them as well, so the grand total of books in Frasier's flat is disappointingly small for someone who likes to read that much. It's true that he used to have a whole study which had to be turned into Daphne's room, and that he mentions having books in the storage space, but a flat such as Frasier's is sort of incomplete without a lot of books (at least to me).


I love the design of those doors! :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby PistolPoet » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:56 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:The one thing that bothered me about Frasier's flat (which I find magnificent, minus the African art and the ugly doors) is the lack of bookshelves. There are two (from what I could see) in his room (and a few books in the living room) but there were lots of other things on them as well, so the grand total of books in Frasier's flat is disappointingly small for someone who likes to read that much. It's true that he used to have a whole study which had to be turned into Daphne's room, and that he mentions having books in the storage space, but a flat such as Frasier's is sort of incomplete without a lot of books (at least to me).


I love the design of those doors! :D

:D I was sure someone would! I just don't like my doors to attract a lot of attention :).
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Arnoldo » Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:20 pm

I've always liked Frasier's apartment. The Montana always felt so dark and closed in. Frasier's apartment feels much more spacious and bright. And I do love those doors :P
Arnoldo
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:08 am
Location: Seattle, Washington

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Roverman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:54 am

I've always wondered if a lot of those books in Frasier's apartment were just for impressing other people. He was, after all, very keen to make the right impression, socially, to the right people and having the right type of book, on prominent display, would help to achieve that aim.
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 pm

Arnoldo wrote:I've always liked Frasier's apartment. The Montana always felt so dark and closed in. Frasier's apartment feels much more spacious and bright. And I do love those doors :P


:thumbright: :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Britannia » Tue May 06, 2014 5:08 am

I love Frasier's apartment mainly because of the stunning views but the materials, wall colours, cabinetry etc. all work beautifully well. There is a slight nod to Art Deco with the background colour theme going on( Beechwood and Black) and the flow throughout the apartment is very calming and serene. I LOVE Frasier's bathroom, that deep black tub with the sandstone tiles is fabulous. I remember watching some of the extra footage in one of the box sets in which the Art director explains his inspiration and ideas in creating Frasier's pad- really fascinating stuff- ditto the creation of Café Nervosa.
Britannia
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:30 pm

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby PistolPoet » Tue May 06, 2014 11:42 am

I love Nervosa as well, especially that elevated part in the back with the book shelf. Pity they didn't do more scenes there.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Roverman » Wed May 07, 2014 12:05 am

I'm no Apartment Designer but I really feel that Frasier's apartment would not have worked before 1993 or much after 2004. It was very much a design of its time. Yes it is detailed but nowhere near gaudy enough for the 1980s but would have looked perhaps too chintzy and cluttered for the Minimalist age we've entered since the Millennium.

I was also wondering about the realism of Frasier's home barely changing in the 11 years it was on the air. Maybe I'm used to us Brits doing DIY every weekend and a house being redecorated every few years. What is the American way? Is it normal to decorate a home and then leave it for 11 years other than changing some of the 'knick knacks' around?
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:03 pm
Location: UK

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Patrick » Wed May 07, 2014 9:31 am

I wonder why it's always cold in their "powder room", though. Mine are always adequately heated.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby PistolPoet » Wed May 07, 2014 11:38 am

Roverman wrote:I'm no Apartment Designer but I really feel that Frasier's apartment would not have worked before 1993 or much after 2004. It was very much a design of its time. Yes it is detailed but nowhere near gaudy enough for the 1980s but would have looked perhaps too chintzy and cluttered for the Minimalist age we've entered since the Millennium.

I was also wondering about the realism of Frasier's home barely changing in the 11 years it was on the air. Maybe I'm used to us Brits doing DIY every weekend and a house being redecorated every few years. What is the American way? Is it normal to decorate a home and then leave it for 11 years other than changing some of the 'knick knacks' around?

I think Frasier's style is more timeless than that. In The Great Crane Robbery (which was as late as season 8), he tries all sorts of other styles (including minimalist ones) and he concludes they just don't work. I'm not an expert on interior design, but I do think his Chanel sofa, his Eames chair and his African art aren't really related to any given time frame, so I don't think they worked better in the '90s than they would now. Anyway, imo it's always good to have your own style, even if it clashes with current trends.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby heartofmotion » Mon May 26, 2014 8:41 pm

Cam's condo is directly above Frasier's so it makes sense that it would be an identical design


I thought Freddie Chainsaw lived above Frasier in the penthouse? I guess he moved out!

As Frasier's apartment number is 1901, presumably he lives on the 19th floor. Just out of interest, would it actually be possible or permitted to serve a dinner on the roof of a 20-storey building, right at the edge, without the food, wine glasses etc being blown off? :shock:
heartofmotion
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: What character's house/apartment would you most like to

Postby Patrick » Tue May 27, 2014 10:08 am

heartofmotion wrote:
Cam's condo is directly above Frasier's so it makes sense that it would be an identical design


I thought Freddie Chainsaw lived above Frasier in the penthouse? I guess he moved out!

As Frasier's apartment number is 1901, presumably he lives on the 19th floor. Just out of interest, would it actually be possible or permitted to serve a dinner on the roof of a 20-storey building, right at the edge, without the food, wine glasses etc being blown off? :shock:

Well, Niles was able to convince Daphne that her "little shards of heaven" were blown off... :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Previous

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.