Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Worst Frasier characters

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Re: Worst Frasier characters

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:46 pm

Patrick wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:Thank you! I was starting to think it was made-up French, like the made-up Mandarin later in the episode.

It is? Do you know that for a fact? A few months back I watched an episode of Two And a Half Men and I was surprised that the Polish woman (who didn't know a word of English) spoke actual Polish with a varsovian accent (that's where my mother's from). Well, I guess they thought it wasn't worth the effort to teach that actor a few words of actual Mandarin. I hear it's tough for a beginner. A friend of mine learned Japanese in college (which is easier to pronounce as a rule than Chinese) and told me that for the first year they kept doing articulating exercises because the words were so hard to say.

I know it's silly to quote people on Youtube, but there was a fair number of people who swore up and down that the sentence that Frasier said (which translated as "You're as lovely as a chicken beak") is pretty correct, but that the exchange between Clint and the girl from the station was nonsense and probably improvised. Unfortunately, the video where I saw those comments has been deleted, so I can't refer you to it.
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
PistolPoet

Postby Patrick » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:03 pm

PistolPoet wrote:
Patrick wrote:
PistolPoet wrote:Thank you! I was starting to think it was made-up French, like the made-up Mandarin later in the episode.

It is? Do you know that for a fact? A few months back I watched an episode of Two And a Half Men and I was surprised that the Polish woman (who didn't know a word of English) spoke actual Polish with a varsovian accent (that's where my mother's from). Well, I guess they thought it wasn't worth the effort to teach that actor a few words of actual Mandarin. I hear it's tough for a beginner. A friend of mine learned Japanese in college (which is easier to pronounce as a rule than Chinese) and told me that for the first year they kept doing articulating exercises because the words were so hard to say.

I know it's silly to quote people on Youtube, but there was a fair number of people who swore up and down that the sentence that Frasier said (which translated as "You're as lovely as a chicken beak") is pretty correct, but that the exchange between Clint and the girl from the station was nonsense and probably improvised. Unfortunately, the video where I saw those comments has been deleted, so I can't refer you to it.

It's ironic that Frasier was the one who spoke actual Mandarin while the so called Perfect man spoke gibberish. :wink:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby ProOperaVoter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:41 am

Gertrude. Annoying. Makes me bury my head into the cushions and kick the wall whenever she does something stupid-- messing up Martin and Cora, etc.
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby ProOperaVoter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:56 pm

Actually, forget that-- Diane (in The Show Where Diane Comes Back) is Satan-spawn.
"Sherry, Niles?"
ProOperaVoter

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:51 pm

That Ann who came to dinner was pretty bad: vulgar, egocentric, intrusive, ungrateful (after all that Frasier did as recompense for that accident that wasn't his fault, in any way, she still seemed to consider that he owed her more, talk about a leech!!!). I think she really wins the prize as the most obnoxious character on the show. I mean Diane never coerced Frasier to do anything and Gertrude was only staying because Niles let her and he did so only to please Daphne (who for a couple of episodes really acted like an unappreciative bitch about that!).

Anyway, what I mean is Ann is the worst character of the show, bar none.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Frank B » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:40 pm

Definitely Julia Wilcox.
I don't like Dr. Mary either, because of the way she takes over the show.
Frank B

Postby DiceMan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:24 am

I agree with all the stuff about Gertrude. I didn't like Marta either. Ronee kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, possibly because I associate her with the ending of the show, but also because her whole "spunky aged gal" shtick got old.
DiceMan

Postby Tranquilox » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:13 pm

DiceMan wrote:I agree with all the stuff about Gertrude. I didn't like Marta either. Ronee kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, possibly because I associate her with the ending of the show, but also because her whole "spunky aged gal" shtick got old.

You didn't like Marta? Wasn't that just Niles and Maris' maid? Or do you mean Martin? :P

I didn't like simon, julia, gert, mel, ann, dr mary and bebe.
Tranquilox

Postby Patrick » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:40 pm

Dr Mary was kinda benign though, compared to the others who were either bitchy, unscrupulous or even outright parasites like Simon and gert (who was also bitchy and toxic), she had the trifecta.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby DiceMan » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 am

Tranquilox wrote:
DiceMan wrote:I agree with all the stuff about Gertrude. I didn't like Marta either. Ronee kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, possibly because I associate her with the ending of the show, but also because her whole "spunky aged gal" shtick got old.

You didn't like Marta? Wasn't that just Niles and Maris' maid? Or do you mean Martin? :P

I didn't like simon, julia, gert, mel, ann, dr mary and bebe.

No Martin was kosher. I didn't like the maid, she was just cheesy to me for some reason.
DiceMan

Postby hansenkd » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:30 am

Most of Frasier's aborted love affairs where he offends the woman before getting into her pants (or shortly thereafter), are pretty awful.

One of the earliest was Amanda Donohoe as Catherine in "Call Me Irresponsible" with her way over-the-top exit (which would be mirrored so, so many times later--what an awful precedent...see Can't Buy Me Love, You Scratch My Book..., Frasier's Imaginary Friend, First Do No Harm, etc., etc.)

Actually, that's one of the recurring tropes on the show I hate the most. And it's the cherry on top of my absolute most loathed episode, "Legal Tender Love and Care."
hansenkd

Postby Patrick » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:32 am

hansenkd wrote:...Actually, that's one of the recurring tropes on the show I hate the most. And it's the cherry on top of my absolute most loathed episode, "Legal Tender Love and Care."

Yeah, I hate that episode, though the actress is just :shock: Major Babe!
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby hansenkd » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:02 pm

Patrick wrote:
hansenkd wrote:...Actually, that's one of the recurring tropes on the show I hate the most. And it's the cherry on top of my absolute most loathed episode, "Legal Tender Love and Care."

Yeah, I hate that episode, though the actress is just :shock: Major Babe!

Teri Polo, most known as Ben Stiller's fiancee/wife and Robert DeNiro's daughter in the "Meet the Parents" franchise, where she is much better. You know, of all the things I loathe about that episode, the lawyer character herself doesn't bother me that much. It's Frasier's obsession with satisfying both his penis and his wallet that is so annoying. And Martin is dreadful the entire episode. The Donny/Daphne courthouse scene is execrable. The hideous "spooky" stuff that really got fans to turn on the N&D pairing. And on and on. But I didn't really mind Polo's character that much, just Frasier's utterly moronic obsession with banging her for fewer bucks. Ugh. "You still can!" Worst closing line of an episode--well, it's rivaled by "Spell his ass off," I guess, notably penned by the same writer.

I'd say the worst of these types of characters is definitely the Amanda Donohoe character from "Call Me Irresponsible." That's a terrible S1 episode that established that trope, and It's down at the bottom of my list as well.
hansenkd

Postby Patrick » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:56 pm

I think the best closing line of Frasier striking out with TWO women at a time is "EITHER ONE OF YOU!" :lol:

In Secret Admirer.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby TheSaneChoice » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Ann. I can't even watch the episodes she's in.
TheSaneChoice

Postby Manc1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:51 am

Niles after he got together with daphne, before that happened he was great , but together they( n niles in particular became unbearably annoying.
Manc1

Postby chasec777 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:45 am

In my opinion the worst has to be Sherry. I think more people would pick her as the worst character (the general consensus here appears to be Gertrude), but most of the episodes she appeared in were pretty funny. Because her episodes were more bearable I think people dislike her less. But not me! I do like the episode (I believe it was two part) where she and Martin break up and she proceeds to ruin 3 of Frasier's dates, but at the same time I really dislike her for it...

I do agree with the majority that Gert overstayed her welcome. I disagree, however, with those who dislike Julia, if only because I love the episode "A Man, A Plan, and a Gal: Julia" so much. I laugh so hard just thinking about (i) Martin's reaction when she takes his beer, and (ii) how Martin, Niles, and Daphne all sat there silently while she was choking!
chasec777

Postby Roverman » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:00 am

I've always wondered if the problem with Gertrude is that the character had been built up so much via the extensive descriptions given by Daphne over the years meant that the reality was a disappointment?
Ben
UK based Frasier fan
Roverman

Postby Eddie2012 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:41 pm

I would not be able to stand a woman like Sherry in real life for more that 5 minutes, but she was displayed as a woman with a good heart, so I can stand her on the telly :)

Gertrude was great at being awful and I don't think she was a disappointment when she first appeared. But she should have left after the wedding episodes and only re-appeared, if even, for the second wedding to Niles.
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:00 pm

I am still wondering if we're talking about "worst characters" as worst people, lazy, cheaters etc... Or if it is meant as characters that don't contribute to make the show interesting or funny. Those are two different qualities, very different.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Eddie2012 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:11 pm

I always understood it as a thread for irritating or pointless characters. Best example is Ma Moon: awful real life character, hence believable and good as D's mom on the show, but getting on my nerves later on with too many pointless appearances.
Eddie2012

Postby Patrick » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:12 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:I always understood it as a thread for irritating or pointless characters. Best example is Ma Moon: awful real life character, hence believable and good as D's mom on the show, but getting on my nerves later on with too many pointless appearances.

I agree, what really hurt Ma moon's character is that we've seen too much of her. The actress on the other hand did a great job of incarnating Daphne's infamous abusive mother that we'd heard of for years before we actually saw her. Like that episode where Daphne fantasize about her mother dying in ghastly ways ( Dr Nora , I think). "I am done with me darks." :D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:40 pm

Patrick wrote:
Eddie2012 wrote:I always understood it as a thread for irritating or pointless characters. Best example is Ma Moon: awful real life character, hence believable and good as D's mom on the show, but getting on my nerves later on with too many pointless appearances.

I agree, what really hurt Ma moon's character is that we've seen too much of her. The actress on the other hand did a great job of incarnating Daphne's infamous abusive mother that we'd heard of for years before we actually saw her. Like that episode where Daphne fantasize about her mother dying in ghastly ways ( Dr Nora , I think). "I am done with me darks." :D

Absolutely. My only real problem with Gertrude was her appearance in too many episodes. Even that annoyance has diluted over the years.

Always liked the actress and she certainly does a great job of bringing to life the annoying mother from Daphne's tales :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby hookedonfrasier » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:17 am

I don't think Bulldog is funny at all. He just grates on my nerves so I usually just fast forward past him.
hookedonfrasier

Postby frasier floyd » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:01 am

I think one of the worst ongoing Frasier characters is Noel. He doesn't really contribute to the show for me since he only talks about Roz and Star Trek. In the later seasons his admiration for Roz turns pretty creepy. I guess he has his moments though. I personally don't like Gil either but I don't think he's a bad character. He's obviously meant to come off as super-snobby and a little strange. :)

The most annoying character overall was Gertrude, as others have stated. I agree that I would've been fine with her if she had only appeared for a few episodes around the time of Donnie and Daphne's wedding. The actress did a fine job of playing Daphne's nagging mother, but I don't think we needed to feel her wrath for so long!
frasier floyd

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes