Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Beginning, Middle or End?

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Favourite Landmark Episode?

The Good Son
26%
Something Borrowed, Someone Blue
30%
Goodnight Seattle
44%

Total votes : 27

Beginning, Middle or End?

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:45 am

The three most important episodes in Frasier's eleven year history are probably 'The Good Son', where it all began, 'Something Borrowed, Someone Blue', which changed the shape of the show forever and 'Goodnight Seattle' where we said goodbye to all the character's.

So, I was wondering which is your favourite of these landmark episodes? Consider not just the comedy, but the impact and the emotional tug they have on you.

I like them all, but for me it came down to choosing between SBSB and the finale. I love the pilot, but the character's are a bit exaggerated and it's not an episode I feel compelled to watch to often.

So, today I've decided to go for SBSB. Watched it this evening, and I think it's pretty close to perfect.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:58 am

Had to go with Goodnight, Seattle.

Despite the cliche endings of a baby, a wedding and a new job, it worked. It worked really well for me and I felt all the emotion that was going through that.

I know most people prefer the second half of the episode too but the actual "turning" point in Goodnight, Seattle for me was Charlotte's goodbye and Frasier talking about having a "hard goodbye" for a change. You know he wanted to tell her he loved her but he just couldn't! He follows that up with probably the most difficult goodbye's of his life His goodbye to his family and to Roz and to his listeners. It's just all so perfect for me.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Seek_Help_from_an_M.D. » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:20 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Had to go with Goodnight, Seattle.

Despite the cliche endings of a baby, a wedding and a new job, it worked. It worked really well for me and I felt all the emotion that was going through that.

I know most people prefer the second half of the episode too but the actual "turning" point in Goodnight, Seattle for me was Charlotte's goodbye and Frasier talking about having a "hard goodbye" for a change. You know he wanted to tell her he loved her but he just couldn't! He follows that up with probably the most difficult goodbye's of his life His goodbye to his family and to Roz and to his listeners. It's just all so perfect for me.

CatNamedRudy, It's really wierd now that I think about it, but I don't think I've really ever disagreed with you... on anything. I was thinking the same thing and went with Goodnight, Seattle. I must add that it gives me a sad fuzzy feeling after it's over.
Wow, between school and basketball, when am I...going to be able to watch Frasier!!! Oh, don't worry I'll make time.
Seek_Help_from_an_M.D.

Postby Carolina Crane-iac » Sun Oct 14, 2007 5:30 am

Something Borrowed, Something Blue is probably my all-time favorite episode. It was an emotional roller-coaster. I remember thinking I had never felt sorrier for any character ever than I did for Niles after his talk on the balcony with Daphe. He looked so pitiful sitting in that RV. Then, when the door opened and it was Daphne, I cheered out loud. To me, it had everything that a great episode is supposed to have...comedy, drama, memorable lines, and emotional scenes.

:)
Carolina Crane-iac

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:51 am

Ooh, this is a toughie, I'll have to come back to this!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Wezzo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:47 am

Goodnight Seattle, followed by SBSB.
Wezzo

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:46 pm

SBSB, definitely.

One way or another I'd managed to watch all of the episodes up to that particular one - I wasn't at home when Paramount showed it. I was desperate to see it, but couldn't find it anywhere so I ended up watching a low-res copy on YouTube! I'm grateful to whoever uploaded it, but it was in about seven parts so it took a while to find a play them all. :)

And congrats on 6,000 posts Cat!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:53 pm

I think 'The Good Son' is the best episode out of those three. It's the perfect pilot, confident from the start, and the characters are drawn well from day one, without the slightly watered-down Niles and Daphne we got later. And as much as I like all the 'drama' elements of the later episodes, 'TGS' is a perfect piece of comedy.
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:13 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:I think 'The Good Son' is the best episode out of those three. It's the perfect pilot, confident from the start, and the characters are drawn well from day one, without the slightly watered-down Niles and Daphne we got later. And as much as I like all the 'drama' elements of the later episodes, 'TGS' is a perfect piece of comedy.

"The Good Son" would be second on my list out of these three.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:04 pm

Wezzo wrote:Goodnight Seattle, followed by SBSB.

Same for me.
welshben23

Postby DHP » Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:47 pm

Goodnight Seattle for me. Wrapped everything up, left the audience with some possibilities to dwell on, and also very good in and of itself. Having seen great shows end badly (or not at all, due to cancellation or other reasons), it's always been very important for me to see a TV show I love have a good, solid ending and this is one of those rare moments when a series does just that.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby !Amz! » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:11 pm

Goodnight Seattle. It was just so nice to see everything tied up so neatly. Although, SBSB comes in a very close second.
!Amz!

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:25 pm

I think i'll go with The Good Son. It's pretty much the best pilot i've seen. The others are great episodes, but TGS is something extra special.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Agides » Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:30 am

I think I'll abstain for the time being, as I really can't make up my mind.
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:21 am

After much deliberation, I decided to go with Goodnight, Seattle. I've only seen the episode 3 times I think, much less than TGS and SBSB, but I think the series finale just shades things in terms of comedy. Niles feeding the baby monkey was one of the best visual gags in the show's history! TGS does a perfect job of introducing the characters while managing to keep the comedy level high with a sprinkling of memorable one-liners. The writers/producers were also brave enough to include a drama heavy scene which in a pilot was quite a risk. SBSB was a great episode with a truly memorable ending but in the final analysis it doesn't contain a great many laughs. Goodnight, Seattle managed to combine all the best elements of Frasier, so comes out on top for me.

Needless to say, all three eps make my 'ultimate season' every time we do one - I can't imagine leaving any of these eps out as they underpin the whole series.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:02 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Needless to say, all three eps make my 'ultimate season' every time we do one - I can't imagine leaving any of these eps out as they underpin the whole series.

Absolutely.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr. Explorer » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:56 am

I am going with the finale. SBSB is also very very good but not as good, and though the pilot was a good one, I am not a massive fan of those first few episodes when the characters weren't fully established yet.

I am also a guy who can get very emotional when watching a tv show or movie (I tear up every time I watch Top Gun and Goose dies), and Frasier has plenty of those great tear-jerker moments, with the finale taking the cake..
Doesn't Everybody Have Poi Ramekins?
Mr. Explorer

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes