Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Joe Keenan - Best Frasier Writer?

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Joe Keenan - Best Writer?

Yep
18
75%
Nope
6
25%
 
Total votes : 24

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Paul B wrote:How was Joe Keenan "instrumental in the suckiness of season eight"? He left with a story he thought a team of competent writers could figure out. You can't blame him for being so talented that his leaving had a dire affect on the show.


If you can figure a way to get the writers out of the situation they were in I'll eat my hat and send you a freshly laid dodo egg.
User avatar
Stratman
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby Paul B » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:27 pm

Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:How was Joe Keenan "instrumental in the suckiness of season eight"? He left with a story he thought a team of competent writers could figure out. You can't blame him for being so talented that his leaving had a dire affect on the show.


If you can figure a way to get the writers out of the situation they were in I'll eat my hat and send you a freshly laid dodo egg.

I'm not a university educated writer. They were.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:30 pm

Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:How was Joe Keenan "instrumental in the suckiness of season eight"? He left with a story he thought a team of competent writers could figure out. You can't blame him for being so talented that his leaving had a dire affect on the show.


If you can figure a way to get the writers out of the situation they were in I'll eat my hat and send you a freshly laid dodo egg.

I'm not a university educated writer. They were.


University has nothing to do with it I'm afraid, unless wine references were the cause?
User avatar
Stratman
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:25 pm

Stratman wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:
Stratman wrote:Nope.


Who's your favourite writer?


Rob Greenberg. What tipped it for me was that Joe was instrumental in the suckiness of season eight, plus he repeated himself twice.


I'd rate RG second. Three Dates... ; Frasier's Imaginary Friend and Dial M For Martin all make my top 10, and Chess Pains isn't far behind...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Sat Oct 13, 2007 6:55 pm

Yeah, with Greenberg and Lloyd close behind.

I do think "Ski Lodge" is slightly overrated though (but "Ham Radio" is my favourite episode ever, so it all balances out..!)
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:36 am

Wezzo wrote:Yeah, with Greenberg and Lloyd close behind.

I do think "Ski Lodge" is slightly overrated though (but "Ham Radio" is my favourite episode ever, so it all balances out..!)


What percentage score do you give 'Ski Lodge'?
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:48 am

Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Paul B wrote:How was Joe Keenan "instrumental in the suckiness of season eight"? He left with a story he thought a team of competent writers could figure out. You can't blame him for being so talented that his leaving had a dire affect on the show.


If you can figure a way to get the writers out of the situation they were in I'll eat my hat and send you a freshly laid dodo egg.

I'm not a university educated writer. They were.


University has nothing to do with it I'm afraid, unless wine references were the cause?


I'm inclined to agree with Paul. JK and CL obviously left Dan O'Shannon's team in a difficult position but it's not their fault Jane Leeves fell pregnant!

In any case, the problems the S8-S10 writing team suffered in no way detracts from JK's own ability, and he wrote some of the tightest, funniest and frankly best single episodes in Frasier's history. Dad Loves Sherry, The Boys Just Whine, anyone?
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:59 pm

I've been trying to figure out what poor state Joe Keenan left the writers in? The only real obstacle to overcome was Jane Leeves pregnancy - surely that can't be JK's fault - unless there's something the pair aren't telling us? :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:10 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I've been trying to figure out what poor state Joe Keenan left the writers in? The only real obstacle to overcome was Jane Leeves pregnancy - surely that can't be JK's fault - unless there's something the pair aren't telling us? :lol:


The "Niles and Daphne are together now and it's ruined an entire element of the show for us" dilemma?

But so much could have been done with what they were given and they didn't do well with it.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:22 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:The "Niles and Daphne are together now and it's ruined an entire element of the show for us" dilemma?

But so much could have been done with what they were given and they didn't do well with it.


Yeah, there was room to develop the relationship without too much trouble, i thought. It hardly left them in a hole. Still having to come up with reasons why they could be kept apart without her having a clue about Niles feelings would have been more tedious, in my eyes.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Wezzo » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:51 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Yeah, with Greenberg and Lloyd close behind.

I do think "Ski Lodge" is slightly overrated though (but "Ham Radio" is my favourite episode ever, so it all balances out..!)


What percentage score do you give 'Ski Lodge'?


94ish I think. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's not close to 'best ever' for me.
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby citystreets » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:12 pm

Yes, no doubt in my mind. The farcical episodes, the cultural references, misunderstandings, etc. that JK was so good at to me are the hallmarks of Frasier!

His work on Desperate Housewives has been excellent also. The dramatic shoot-out episode he wrote there was fantastic, black comedy and tense too.
Frasier: Yes, I've seen your log, and I’ve dated every toad on it!
User avatar
citystreets
 
Posts: 161
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2006 10:49 pm
Location: Elliot Bay Towers

Postby Seek_Help_from_an_M.D. » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:29 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:The "Niles and Daphne are together now and it's ruined an entire element of the show for us" dilemma?

But so much could have been done with what they were given and they didn't do well with it.


Yeah, there was room to develop the relationship without too much trouble, i thought. It hardly left them in a hole. Still having to come up with reasons why they could be kept apart without her having a clue about Niles feelings would have been more tedious, in my eyes.


Yeah, I mean there were 7 excellent years of Niles loving Daphne from afar, but you can't do that to the audience forever.
Wow, between school and basketball, when am I...going to be able to watch Frasier!!! Oh, don't worry I'll make time.
User avatar
Seek_Help_from_an_M.D.
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Juneau, AK

Joe Keenan

Postby david sim » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:02 pm

Joe Keenan is by far the greatest writer on Frasier.
I think when he joined the staff in Season 2 Frasier went from being a very good sitcom to a magnificent one. His input and ideas helped shape Frasier into the classic sitcom its known as today.
He has more classic episodes to his name than any other writer on the staff. He may not have invented Bebe Glazer, but he was the one who defined who she was. He created the wonderful Sherry Dempsey. What a shame he didn't write more episodes for her. And look at some of the classic farces he dreamed up over the years. Especially The Two Mrs Cranes. Which I think is the best episode in the shows annual run.
Joe Keenan was always the greatest asset to the show.
I'm a big Frasier fan who wants to talk to all you other Frasier fans out there.
About why its the best sitcom ever.
david sim
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 am
Location: United Kingdom

Postby BowWow » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:20 am

I must admit I'm partial to Keenan's work...
Sometimes I wonder, "Why is that Frisbee getting bigger?" ...and then it hits me.
BowWow
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:37 pm

Re: Joe Keenan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:13 am

david sim wrote:Joe Keenan is by far the greatest writer on Frasier.
I think when he joined the staff in Season 2 Frasier went from being a very good sitcom to a magnificent one. His input and ideas helped shape Frasier into the classic sitcom its known as today.
He has more classic episodes to his name than any other writer on the staff. He may not have invented Bebe Glazer, but he was the one who defined who she was. He created the wonderful Sherry Dempsey. What a shame he didn't write more episodes for her. And look at some of the classic farces he dreamed up over the years. Especially The Two Mrs Cranes. Which I think is the best episode in the shows annual run.
Joe Keenan was always the greatest asset to the show.


Couldn't agree more!

I'd say his 'classic' farce was The Matchmaker, but every ep he wrote had that disctinct JK stamp of quality. Even some of his lesser loved eps like A Word To The Wiseguy have some classic one-liners.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Re: Joe Keenan - Best Frasier Writer?

Postby tubalcain » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:53 am

Have given this some extended thought and although I am a huge Christopher Lloyd fan,I have voted for Joe Keenan and the quantity and quality of his work.
A very close decision.
User avatar
tubalcain
 
Posts: 772
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:36 pm
Location: Njurundabommen.se

Re: Joe Keenan - Best Frasier Writer?

Postby david sim » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:36 pm

What a whiz with words Joe Keenan is. The man is a master of the craft.
I think he was lucky though to have someone like David Lee on the directors staff. The two seemed in sympatico. The success of they're farces lies as much in the hands of Lee as it does in the hands of Keenan. He keeps Keenan's words moving along at a frantic pace. Without it eps like The Ski Lodge and The Matchmaker might have wound up much different. But together they were sitcom's finest partnership.
I'm a big Frasier fan who wants to talk to all you other Frasier fans out there.
About why its the best sitcom ever.
david sim
 
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:01 am
Location: United Kingdom

Previous

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.