Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Fan Dividers - Rooms With A View!

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

What do you think of 'Rooms With A View'?

I LOVE it!
21
91%
I HATE it!
2
9%
 
Total votes : 23

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:In defence of the writers, I have to say this piece of dialogue from Moons Over Seattle was spot-on...

Niles: Okay, okay, moving on... Your first date?
Harry: She had me over for dinner.
Gertrude: Oh, do you remember, I cooked you bubble and squeak.
Harry: And then we went out, got squiffy and half starkers and snogged behind the chippy.
Niles: You lost me after the word "dinner," but the language of love is universal.

I love the 'snogged behind the chippy' line, that's classic northern-speak! :lol:


That is excellent. :)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:49 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)


I suppose so, but 'gotten' didn't exactly leap out at me as something a British person wouldn't say, as I've used that word quite a bit myself.

Still, I'm always happy to learn something new! :)


I don't agree with WR - i'd have used gotten, too. It sounds more correct. I'd never say 'we haven't always got on'. It's either 'we haven't always gotten on' or 'we don't always get on', for me. Maybe it's a Northern thing, but i don't think so. It's certainly not rare.


Well, that makes me feel a bit better because the way I wrote it sounded like extremely poor grammar to me!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:42 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)


I suppose so, but 'gotten' didn't exactly leap out at me as something a British person wouldn't say, as I've used that word quite a bit myself.

Still, I'm always happy to learn something new! :)


I don't agree with WR - i'd have used gotten, too. It sounds more correct. I'd never say 'we haven't always got on'. It's either 'we haven't always gotten on' or 'we don't always get on', for me. Maybe it's a Northern thing, but i don't think so. It's certainly not rare.


So Dan O'Shannon may rest easy! :lol:

Yeah, I have (sadly) gone over that sentence a few times in my head now and 'gotten' just sounds right. We're both northerners though MC, we need the input of someone posh! :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby welshben23 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)


I suppose so, but 'gotten' didn't exactly leap out at me as something a British person wouldn't say, as I've used that word quite a bit myself.

Still, I'm always happy to learn something new! :)


I don't agree with WR - i'd have used gotten, too. It sounds more correct. I'd never say 'we haven't always got on'. It's either 'we haven't always gotten on' or 'we don't always get on', for me. Maybe it's a Northern thing, but i don't think so. It's certainly not rare.


So Dan O'Shannon may rest easy! :lol:

Yeah, I have (sadly) gone over that sentence a few times in my head now and 'gotten' just sounds right. We're both northerners though MC, we need the input of someone posh! :lol:


Do you want my input? :lol: :D :oops:
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:02 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, I have (sadly) gone over that sentence a few times in my head now and 'gotten' just sounds right. We're both northerners though MC, we need the input of someone posh! :lol:


Well, I'm not 'posh' sorry but as a Southerner, 'gotten' sounds weird, I've never used that before. But then I s'pose things like 'T'aint goin' through thik jamb' sounds weird to you Northern people. :lol:

(And probably to other people in the south too, but never mind... :oops: )
Last edited by Dorset Girl on Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby welshben23 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:06 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, I have (sadly) gone over that sentence a few times in my head now and 'gotten' just sounds right. We're both northerners though MC, we need the input of someone posh! :lol:


Well, I'm not 'posh' sorry but as a Southerner, 'gotten' sounds weird, I've never used that before. But then I s'pose things like 'T'aint going through thik jamb' sounds weird to you Northern people. :lol:


It sounds weird to me :D and I'm not Northern! :lol:
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:28 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, I have (sadly) gone over that sentence a few times in my head now and 'gotten' just sounds right. We're both northerners though MC, we need the input of someone posh! :lol:


Well, I'm not 'posh' sorry but as a Southerner, 'gotten' sounds weird, I've never used that before. But then I s'pose things like 'T'aint going through thik jamb' sounds weird to you Northern people. :lol:


It sounds weird to me :D and I'm not Northern! :lol:


So what is it in Welsh then? My guess is "Ni ar adegau anghydsynia" but my Welsh is notoriously crap, so that probably means "excuse me, could you fetch the hall porter, there appears to be a frog in my bidet?" :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby White Rabbit » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:26 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)

She would've written: 'Dear Niles, I know we haven't always got along.'

Despite what Moon Crane or Beer Necessity have written, I insist 'gotten' is archaic in British English. Both 'got' and 'gotten' were commonly used in the Middle Ages, but 'gotten' was falling out of favour in the British isles around the American Revolutionary Wars. The Americans continued with 'gotten', while the Brits changed to 'got'. I can't really explain why Moon Crane thinks 'gotten' sounds more correct. Maybe he heard the Frasier cast use it one too many times? I dare say that the show holds some sway over people.
White Rabbit
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:35 am

Postby welshben23 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:11 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
welshben23 wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:Yeah, I have (sadly) gone over that sentence a few times in my head now and 'gotten' just sounds right. We're both northerners though MC, we need the input of someone posh! :lol:


Well, I'm not 'posh' sorry but as a Southerner, 'gotten' sounds weird, I've never used that before. But then I s'pose things like 'T'aint going through thik jamb' sounds weird to you Northern people. :lol:


It sounds weird to me :D and I'm not Northern! :lol:


So what is it in Welsh then? My guess is "Ni ar adegau anghydsynia" but my Welsh is notoriously crap, so that probably means "excuse me, could you fetch the hall porter, there appears to be a frog in my bidet?" :lol:


:lol: I have no idea.
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:47 pm

White Rabbit wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:So, in the "proper" British vernacular what I'm assuming Gertrude would have ACTUALLY written was: Niles: I know we haven't always got on. Correct? (or am I still being a British impaired American here?)

She would've written: 'Dear Niles, I know we haven't always got along.'

Despite what Moon Crane or Beer Necessity have written, I insist 'gotten' is archaic in British English. Both 'got' and 'gotten' were commonly used in the Middle Ages, but 'gotten' was falling out of favour in the British isles around the American Revolutionary Wars. The Americans continued with 'gotten', while the Brits changed to 'got'. I can't really explain why Moon Crane thinks 'gotten' sounds more correct. Maybe he heard the Frasier cast use it one too many times? I dare say that the show holds some sway over people.


Just to rebutt. I have used it all of my life, and i lived for long enough before Frasier came along :)

If BN and myself use it to this day, and hear it used, maybe it is a Northern thing. Gertrude was Northern, so it would be logical for her to use it - hence she uses it :)

Even if it's not common - if it's still in use, how can it be incorrect to use it?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:27 am

Moon-Crane wrote:If BN and myself use it to this day, and hear it used, maybe it is a Northern thing. Gertrude was Northern, so it would be logical for her to use it - hence she uses it :)


Good point, she was! What are we arguing about then? The writers got it spot on. :thumbright:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby Agides » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:51 am

.....or maybe Gertrude picked up the word while she was staying in America! :wink:

Tbh, I've never picked up on this before - bad Frasier fan!! :lol:
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:01 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Just to rebutt. I have used it all of my life, and i lived for long enough before Frasier came along :)

If BN and myself use it to this day, and hear it used, maybe it is a Northern thing. Gertrude was Northern, so it would be logical for her to use it - hence she uses it :)

Even if it's not common - if it's still in use, how can it be incorrect to use it?


That's exactly my take on things too. I'm not sure where you're from White Rabbit, but I've lived in Northern England all my life and it sounded fine to me.

I also have to say the idea that my use of English is influenced in any way by Frasier is pretty ridiculous. I spoke English for 22 years before the show even aired here, and 'gotten' was still part of my vocabulary. Forget what the history books say, if you're interested in learning what words people use in a certain region it's probably better to experience it first hand...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:16 pm

Love it. Outstanding stuff, well deserving of the awards it won.
User avatar
Stratman
 
Posts: 11077
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 1:00 am
Location: Australia

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:47 am

Stratman wrote:Love it. Outstanding stuff, well deserving of the awards it won.


What did it win?
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Previous

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.