Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Should the show have ended after Season 7?

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Should Frasier have bowed out after Season 7?

Yes
5
16%
No
26
84%
 
Total votes : 31

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:14 pm

Oh, and while i remember....

CatNamedRudy wrote:Oh.........so it was ok for Mel to be a controlling bitch because she was like that from the start? It was ok for her to be a nasty human being to Frasier and Daphne (which she was) because she was always like that?


I actually think it as alright for Mel to be like that more than Daphne - that's the way she was. Mel was new and hadn't had the years of the audience getting to know her character. Daphne, for some unknown reason, developed swiftly into a less likeable character, which is harder to palette, imho.

The Daphne Niles longed for certainly wasn't the Daphne he ended up with :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:26 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Oh, and while i remember....

CatNamedRudy wrote:Oh.........so it was ok for Mel to be a controlling bitch because she was like that from the start? It was ok for her to be a nasty human being to Frasier and Daphne (which she was) because she was always like that?


I actually think it as alright for Mel to be like that more than Daphne - that's the way she was. Mel was new and hadn't had the years of the audience getting to know her character. Daphne, for some unknown reason, developed swiftly into a less likeable character, which is harder to palette, imho.

The Daphne Niles longed for certainly wasn't the Daphne he ended up with :lol:


Actually, my point wasn't so much with how the audience saw Mel's character but how she treated Niles.

It seems that Cakey thought it was ok for Mel to treat Niles and everyone else like dirt because well, that was how she was. But it wasn't ok when Daphne was doing it for some unknown reason. If a person is a controlling bitch, they are a controlling bitch. Doesn't matter when they developed that characteristic.

Perhaps it was easier to "take" from Mel because, as you said MC, we hadn't grown to love her like we did Daphne but it certainly wasn't "ok" for her to treat Niles like shit. Just like it wasn't ok for Daphne to treat him that way.

Mel worked as a character for the very reason Cakey said she did. Because she wasn't a very likable person and she made us want Niles to be with Daphne even more.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:36 pm

Yeah that's fair enough.

It doesn't bother me to see Niles being treated like shit - it's quite funny - it's just as typical as seeing Frasier getting himself into strife, for me :lol:

I do think i find it a bit harder to watch her more aggressive personality in general, not just towards Niles, because of the way i'm used to seeing her act in the earlier years.

Like i said in the previous post though, it doesn't stop me enjoying those years still. Cakey is definitely wrong about them being unnecessary :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Doesn't stop me from watching them either.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Clayford27 » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:14 am

No way! So far I've only seen the full seasons 1, 3, 6, 8, and 9, and then some episodes here and there from the remaining seasons, and I love it all! And I really like seasons 8 and 9... :oops: lol
User avatar
Clayford27
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:08 pm
Location: NYC

Postby Seek_Help_from_an_M.D. » Thu Oct 04, 2007 1:46 am

Clayford27 wrote:No way! So far I've only seen the full seasons 1, 3, 6, 8, and 9, and then some episodes here and there from the remaining seasons, and I love it all! And I really like seasons 8 and 9... :oops: lol


They're good seasons.... just not for Frasier. However, as far as television is concerned it was still great. I still think seasons 8-10 made great tv and a great view, even if it isn't as good as the rest of the show.
Wow, between school and basketball, when am I...going to be able to watch Frasier!!! Oh, don't worry I'll make time.
User avatar
Seek_Help_from_an_M.D.
 
Posts: 659
Joined: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 pm
Location: Juneau, AK

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:48 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I voted no. In spite of the criticism - and i give seasons 8-10 plenty too (actually make that 8-11, because that last one isn't actually as spectacular as so many make it out to be) - I'm glad they're here to watch.

I disagree with Cakey on some of the points made. I do think those years are still preferable to watch, in my case at least, than a lot of other shows around. There's only a handful of episodes that i don't really like, and then, only a couple of those have almost no redeeming features. I still find the bulk enjoyable.

I do think Daphne had too much of a personality change in the later years - she did become quite an unlikeable character. I liked Mel, actually, but i wouldn't have left Niles with her for any longer than it ended up. All they really needed to do was think harder about how to develop stories for Niles and Daphne being together. There must have been a welath of opportunity to explore the 'culture clash' between Niles and 'old' Daphne getting together? It's not a good enough excuse to 'blame' Kelsey for suggesting Frasier get more story time.

Bah and, indeed, humbug to everyone who completely dismisses the later years as a waste of time :D


I second pretty much everything you've said there, MC. Which is very convenient, as it means I don't have to type it all out myself. :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Postby Bad Ambassador » Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:52 am

Cake for Brains wrote: People say that S8-10 of Frasier is still good in comparison to other TV show. It's not - a lot of it is just plain bad.


Yep - it's horrible having to see some of those season 8-10 episodes, because the characters and plots are sometimes just so bad it hurts. And after at least six years of perfection (pretty much) it's not pleasant having to witness that.

On the other hand, I love the majority of S11, so if it means we had to have three bad years to get one more good one, then I guess that's a price worth paying. Maybe.

Of course, having said all that, it's been absolutely yonks since I've seen seasons 8-10. I haven't bothered buying the DVDs yet, and there are plenty of episodes I haven't seen since they first aired. One day, when I'm very bored, I'll re-assess them and see if I'm wrong!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
User avatar
Bad Ambassador
 
Posts: 8855
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Skank Town, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 07, 2007 9:09 am

I voted no, as more Frasier has got to be better than less Frasier. Now the show has finished I appreciate the episodes that were made all the more, even the ones I slagged off on broadcast.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby DHP » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:39 pm

I think it was Leanne who once referred to season 8 as a great season. While it wasn't a strong season in terms of comedy, it gave essential character development with Niles and Daphne, and in that sense had more meat than perhaps some of the other better-loved seasons. This was an interesting thought and really stuck with me, probably because it was different to the usual slagging-off thrown at season 8.

I think seasons 8-10 were worth it because they gave us more information about the characters and showed their lives progressing. Without seasons 8-10, season 11 might not have been as good as it was, and certainly the final episodes would not be what they are.

I'm not saying 8-10 are without their bad episodes. Indeed, there are some real stinkers in there which could be out-performed by a decent episode of Chucklevision, but on the whole I'm glad they're there.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
User avatar
DHP
 
Posts: 3102
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 7:39 pm
Location: Manchester, UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:42 pm

I expected this poll to be much closer. Makes me happy though that most people don't feel that the show should have ended after 7.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:07 pm

DHP wrote:I think it was Leanne who once referred to season 8 as a great season. While it wasn't a strong season in terms of comedy, it gave essential character development with Niles and Daphne, and in that sense had more meat than perhaps some of the other better-loved seasons. This was an interesting thought and really stuck with me, probably because it was different to the usual slagging-off thrown at season 8.

I think seasons 8-10 were worth it because they gave us more information about the characters and showed their lives progressing. Without seasons 8-10, season 11 might not have been as good as it was, and certainly the final episodes would not be what they are.

I'm not saying 8-10 are without their bad episodes. Indeed, there are some real stinkers in there which could be out-performed by a decent episode of Chucklevision, but on the whole I'm glad they're there.


Mickeba's often said he has a soft spot for it too. Each to their own. S6 used to get similar treatment around here but I enjoyed the fact that the dynamic changed. The problems with S8 went way beyond a change of direction in the show; many of the well-documented problems the writers faced were forced on them.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby White Rabbit » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Oops, I voted yes.
Just call me butterfingers. :)
White Rabbit
 
Posts: 255
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:35 am

Previous

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.