Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Worst Frasier Episode - Season 1

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Worst Frasier Episode - Season 1

Poll ended at Sun Jun 10, 2007 12:57 pm

The Good Son
No votes
Space Quest
No votes
Dinner at Eight
No votes
I Hate Frasier Crane
5%
Here's Looking at You
No votes
The Crucible
23%
Call Me Irresponsible
No votes
Beloved Infidel
No votes
Selling Out
5%
Oops
5%
Death Becomes Him
5%
Miracle on Third or Fourth Street
5%
Guess Who's Coming to Breakfast
No votes
Can't Buy Me Love
5%
You Can't Tell a Crook by His Cover
5%
The Show Where Lilith Comes Back
9%
A Midwinter Night's Dream
No votes
And the Whimper is...
No votes
Give Him the Chair!
No votes
Fortysomething
27%
Travels with Martin
No votes
Author, Author
9%
Frasier Crane's Day Off
No votes
My Coffee with Niles
No votes

Total votes : 22

Postby welshben23 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:31 am

Cake for Brains wrote:Well, 'Fortysomething' is a horrendous episode, but for me the worst episode of the 'classic' era is 'Author, Author'. An out-of-character shambles of an episode, where the comedy comes completely from the character's insulting one another and acting like idiots. What a mess!

No, no, no, no NO! :shock:
welshben23

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:32 am

Nervosa wrote:"Dumm da dummm da dummm da dummmm....well some boys go to college, but we think they're all wussies...while they get all the knowledge, we get all the..dumm da dummm da dummm da dummmm"

That bit alone makes Author Author a gem for me!

That's the only bit that makes me laugh.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:33 am

welshben23 wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:Well, 'Fortysomething' is a horrendous episode, but for me the worst episode of the 'classic' era is 'Author, Author'. An out-of-character shambles of an episode, where the comedy comes completely from the character's insulting one another and acting like idiots. What a mess!

No, no, no, no NO! :shock:

YES! :P

I don't get the love for AA. What do people find to like about it?
Cake for Brains

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:58 am

Cake for Brains wrote:I don't get the love for AA. What do people find to like about it?

Well it's hilariously funny, and it seems to perfectly highlight the way that family can drive you round the bend.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:01 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:I don't get the love for AA. What do people find to like about it?

Well it's hilariously funny, and it seems to perfectly highlight the way that family can drive you round the bend.

Yep! Hysterically funny and a fantastic display of the brothers sibling rivalry!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby ouroboros » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:15 pm

[:]DRINK[/:] woo!
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Is this now your worst episode of the whole show, or are there still some episodes that you rate even lower?
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:

Is this now your worst episode of the whole show, or are there still some episodes that you rate even lower?

Bottom five, definitely. Not sure if it's my absolute least favourite though.
Cake for Brains

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:14 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Yep! Hysterically funny and a fantastic display of the brothers sibling rivalry!

Not one-zillionth as good as Shrink Rap though! :)
Cake for Brains

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:23 pm

'Fortysomething' for me. Not helped by the horrendous wooden performance of that crappy woman in it. I love season one, but this episode just stinks the place out.

I'll add my love for 'Author Author' here, too! Classic episode!
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:25 pm

Hey BN, don't do a 'Fan Dividers' poll for Author, Author - I don't think I could cope with all the love it would get!
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:36 pm

I'm still trying to figure out what Cakey thinks is OOC.

The boys arguing and fighting with each other is certainly not out of character. Certainly they do that in Shrink Rap. Frasier THROWS A PLANT THROUGH A WINDOW! But yet, you don't find that out of character?

The whole you stole my mommy thing is not out of character either as that was always a bone of contention between them. In fact, for a first season episode, I think Author, Author does quite a good job of setting up future episodes. Certainly Shrink Rap being one of the better ones.

The fact that a lot of the comedy comes from sarcastic and nasty comments is a valid point and I can understand if you use that as a reason for your dislike. (I disagree but I understand) but not the OOC reasoning.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Bad Ambassador » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:39 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Frasier THROWS A PLANT THROUGH A WINDOW!

Actually, you're right there - I find that more 'out of character' than anything in 'Author Author'. I still love it though! Everyone snaps from time to time...
"You're rather good. All that banter, yet not a word wasted."
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:40 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Bottom five, definitely. Not sure if it's my absolute least favourite though.

It's quite amazing how low it's gone - there was a time when you really liked it, wasn't there?

It's not one of my favourites, but I did enjoy it.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:42 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote: The fact that a lot of the comedy comes from sarcastic and nasty comments is a valid point and I can understand if you use that as a reason for your dislike. (I disagree but I understand) but not the OOC reasoning.

But the characters could be quite sarcastic and nasty to each other in other episodes as well. It might have been done a bit too much in Author, Author but I don't see that as being out-of-character. Although, like you, I can see it would make Cakey dislike the episode.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:

Actually, you're right there - I find that more 'out of character' than anything in 'Author Author'.

I didn't think that was out of character, actually. Frasier has always seemed to me to be the sort of person that, when really pushed, can easily become extremely angry.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby ouroboros » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Oh that's hysterical plus I love the whole

Niles: "Are you mad?!"

Frasier: "If I were Doctor you'd never know it!"
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:48 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I'm still trying to figure out what Cakey thinks is OOC.

The boys arguing and fighting with each other is certainly not out of character. Certainly they do that in Shrink Rap. Frasier THROWS A PLANT THROUGH A WINDOW! But yet, you don't find that out of character?

The whole you stole my mommy thing is not out of character either as that was always a bone of contention between them. In fact, for a first season episode, I think Author, Author does quite a good job of setting up future episodes. Certainly Shrink Rap being one of the better ones.

The fact that a lot of the comedy comes from sarcastic and nasty comments is a valid point and I can understand if you use that as a reason for your dislike. (I disagree but I understand) but not the OOC reasoning.

I think it's OOC because...

All of the central characters (particularly Frasier, Niles and Roz) seemed to be continually sniping at one another, and in some scenes they came across as being very unlikeable. Here are a couple of instances:

(After their hilarious 'some boys go to college' song, Frasier agrees to help write the book and Niles yells: 'YESSS!', which seemed a tad unlikely in the earlier seasons, because Niles wasn't like that.

Frasier and Niles were so eager to make fun at Martin (when he's wearing the headphones) that some of their comments sounded a tad malicious.
Frasier: Hey Dad, nice shirt! What did they throw that in the last time you had your tyres rotated?

Martin: So, who wants a beer?
Frasier: Just you

Niles: I think it's borderline sleezy, let's go for it!

Roz (talking about Niles): And I'm not taking any of his crapola

Niles: That was my radio persona. Every great radio personality has one,
Frasier: I don't
Niles: Mu point exactly

Frasier: Niles, I would shave my head for you
Niles: A gesture which becomes less meaningful with each passing year

Frasier: Well I said it was interesting, but I guess the task that lays ahead of us is to decide whether or not we want an interesting opening sentence or a good one.

Frasier: What was that crap about boundaries!

Frasier: And that reference to the Lenon reference is from the freakin' moon? (Not really the refined language Frasier is known for)

Frasier and Niles using physical violence to settle their differences.
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:48 pm

ouroboros wrote:

Oh that's hysterical plus I love the whole

Niles: "Are you mad?!"

Frasier: "If I were Doctor you'd never know it!"

Niles "ARE YOU INSANE?"

I do love that line! Shrink Rap is one of those episodes that has moved up higher on my list with repeated viewings!

I love Frasier with the bathroom key in his hand "Right here buddy boy!"
Last edited by CatNamedRudy on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:All of the central characters (particularly Frasier, Niles and Roz) seemed to be continually sniping at one another, and in some scenes they came across as being very unlikeable. Here are a couple of instances:

(After their hilarious 'some boys go to college' song, Frasier agrees to help write the book and Niles yells: 'YESSS!', which seemed a tad unlikely in the earlier seasons, because Niles wasn't like that.

Frasier and Niles were so eager to make fun at Martin (when he's wearing the headphones) that some of their comments sounded a tad malicious.
Frasier: Hey Dad, nice shirt! What did they throw that in the last time you had your tyres rotated?

Frasier: Well I said it was interesting, but I guess the task that lays ahead of us is to decide whether or not we want an interesting opening sentence or a good one.

Frasier: And that reference to the Lenon reference is from the freakin' moon? (Not really the refined language Frasier is known for)

I actually don't think any of those quotes were out of character - maybe excepting Niles' joke about Frasier losing his hair.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby ouroboros » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:51 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Niles "ARE YOU INSANE?"

Oops you're quite right.

CatNamedRudy wrote:I love Frasier with the bathroom key in his hand "Right here buddy boy!"

Oh yeah :lol: I'd forgotten about that! Must re watch it tonight.
ouroboros

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:53 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:

Bottom five, definitely. Not sure if it's my absolute least favourite though.

Worse than:

Trophy Girlfriend, Love Stinks, Junior Agent, Some Assembly Required, Kissing Cousin, A Day in May

to name 6?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby ouroboros » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Author, Author is just icky.

And that's the end of my water tight argument.
ouroboros

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:

All of the central characters (particularly Frasier, Niles and Roz) seemed to be continually sniping at one another, and in some scenes they came across as being very unlikeable. Here are a couple of instances:

All are things that happen in similar forms throughout plenty of other episodes, imho.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:59 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:

Interesting as I don't find any of that stuff out of character. Frasier and Niles make fun of Martin all the time. Roz makes fun of Frasier and Niles all the time. And Frasier and Niles sniping at each other? Constantly!

Frasier and Niles resorting to physical violence due to frustration, sleep deprivation and some alcohol (at least in Frasier's case) was certainly no OOC. They are brothers and they beat on each other! They beat on each other when they were young. And in later episodes. Recall Frasier beating Niles in the head with a pillow and physically throwing him into a snowbank in Four For the Seesaw. Recall them almost coming to blows in Shrink Rap. I'm sure I could find other times and I believe there is a scene in Mama Mia where we see a young Niles being picked on by a young Frasier. It's what brothers do. And just because they are adults, doesn't mean they don't still get on each others nerves now and again.

I'm going to get you past this OOC notion Cakey! If it's the last thing I do!!!!! :wink:
CatNamedRudy

PreviousNext

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes