Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier or Niles

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Which character do you prefer?

Frasier
33%
Niles
67%

Total votes : 36

Frasier or Niles

Postby PeppotheDwarf » Fri May 25, 2007 10:58 pm

Who do you rather, personally i cant choose, love them both, KG and DHP both incredible in Frasier, both have their side splitting and tear jerking moments. The chemistry both had on screen in my opinion will never be seen again
mmmmmm...Whats that i smell? Probably Japan
PeppotheDwarf

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat May 26, 2007 3:38 am

I prefer Frasier. :)

They're both great though, obviously.

Would you like to make this a poll? I can do it for you, if you like.

If not, no worries. 8-)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat May 26, 2007 3:50 am

I definitely prefer Frasier.

Both of them are pretentious snobs most of the time but Niles seems just a bit more so. Especially in the very early going when he was still married to Maris. Mel brought out some of the worst in him too.

Frasier just seems to me like the kind of guy who could really be your friend. As much as he can be a self centered jerk, when it comes down to it, he's there. A lot like he was with Roz.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Stratman » Sat May 26, 2007 4:26 am

Frasier by a long shot! He's funnier, warmer, DHP's odd rhythm isn't screwing things up, he's a stronger character etc...
Stratman

Postby Seek_Help_from_an_M.D. » Sat May 26, 2007 6:20 am

Frasier. That was pretty easy for me. I totally agree that they are both snobs, but I do think Niles is a bit more so. Plus like CatNamedRudy I think he could make the perfect friend, you would just have to get to know him. Plus there is all the stuff that they both share, like they are so classy, which is really cool, oh and they are both helpless romantics.
Wow, between school and basketball, when am I...going to be able to watch Frasier!!! Oh, don't worry I'll make time.
Seek_Help_from_an_M.D.

Postby Wezzo » Sat May 26, 2007 8:26 am

Niles. Sorry.
Wezzo

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 11:34 am

Hmmm, do you mean out of Niles and Frasier, or KG and DHP? If it's the latter, then DHP by a long way (personally I fancy the pants off him) - although I can understand why people like KG too.

Out of Niles and Frasier, I prefer Niles, but only just. I'm sorry to be predictible, but it's the whole Daphne thing. Yes, he should have had the guts to tell her earlier, but the way Niles clearly loves her so much, and the 'moments' between them, such as in 'Daphne Hates Sherry' is what draws me to the character.

Having said that, I've only really seen up until the end of S7 (I have seen the last part of S11, and a handful of episodes in between), so perhaps I'll change my mind when I see S8, 9 and 10 - I don't know.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby PeppotheDwarf » Sat May 26, 2007 12:50 pm

The question is about who you prefer between Niles and Frasier, not DHP and KG, if i was to die in the morning and everyone wanted to know i still wouldnt be able to choose, i love them both so much, what each brings to the table is crucial to Frasiers success, yes they are snobs but thats why we love em, those moments when they let their guard down to mix with Martin and the rest of the "ordinary" people of Seattle are priceless, both actors are amazing and the Frasier Roz scenes in the studio are Frasier's niche likewise Niles/Daphne moments are Niles' niche, boths undeniable love for Martin is hilarious aswell, also am i the only one who notices that both Frasier and Niles see Eddie differently, Frasier despises him and Niles seems to notice him all the time in a good way, both always end up in funny situations with the dog, thats the contrast im talking about, i cant pick, i love them both
PeppotheDwarf

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 1:38 pm

I agree, they are both great characters. Apparently, when DHP first read the script, he thought that Niles was too similar to Frasier, and that it wouldn't work. But imagine how different the series would have been if they had made the brothers complete opposites of one another!

I love it when they get into a discussion about something, and they're both talking over each other. Those discussions usually end by Frasier saying 'enough!' or something similar, the comic timing is brilliant. :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby PeppotheDwarf » Sat May 26, 2007 1:55 pm

Totally agree intrensica, not to mention Author Author and similar brother and brother joining forces episodes, which end up in comedic disasters.

Umpta,Umpta,Umpta,Diddly,Umpta
While some boys go to college, and we think they're all wussys, where they get all the knowledge, we get all the umpta umpta umpta
PeppotheDwarf

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat May 26, 2007 1:57 pm

Frasier for me, but Niles is great too.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 2:00 pm

PeppotheDwarf wrote:Totally agree intrensica, not to mention Author Author and similar brother and brother joining forces episodes, which end up in comedic disasters.

Author, Author is brilliant!

"YOU STOLE MY MUMMY!" :lol: :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Rodge » Sat May 26, 2007 2:02 pm

Frasier v Niles - In both character and what he brings to the show, Niles for me without a doubt.

KG v DHP as actors (I don't know either of them personally) & trying to avoid many a heated discussion as before; DHP stands head and shoulders above.
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 2:05 pm

Rob wrote:DHP stands head and shoulders above.

(this is a smiley we use in another forum I belong to, it means 'I'll just sit here and listen to see how this discussion develops!)
Dorset Girl

Postby Rodge » Sat May 26, 2007 2:16 pm

ryme-intrinseca wrote:
Rob wrote:DHP stands head and shoulders above.

(this is a smiley we use in another forum I belong to, it means 'I'll just sit here and listen to see how this discussion develops!)

:lol:

There is many an entry on this forum before where discussions have become quite heated as to DHP's abilities as an actor over KG's :wink: . I do believe it is one area where myself and Strat ever so slightly disagree. Unfortunately it has all been said and done before; you may have noticed Strats '......' at the end of his post above. So your popcorn may go to waste; sorry! :wink:

Having said that there are quite a few newcomers to this forum recently (which is great) who are already posting regularly. Most are remaining polite and courteous at the moment. Maybe this thread may see their more venemous side :twisted:
Rodge

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 2:19 pm

I may have to do some searching through past threads then! :) Has there ever been an actual poll on this?
Dorset Girl

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat May 26, 2007 2:44 pm

Niles lost everything about him when he got together with Daphne, so for that reason, I'm picking Frasier. Kelsey did a great job and kept the show hanging together brilliantly.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby blend180 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:10 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Niles lost everything about him when he got together with Daphne, so for that reason, I'm picking Frasier. Kelsey did a great job and kept the show hanging together brilliantly.

Good point-I thought the same.

Got to be Frasier every time.
blend180

Postby Rodge » Sat May 26, 2007 4:43 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Niles lost everything about him when he got together with Daphne, so for that reason, I'm picking Frasier.

But is it not true that most people agree that the show went downhill after Niles and Daphne got together. Does that not point out that Niles was a major player in the enjoyment of the show. You say " Niles lost everything about him when he got together with Daphne", almost as if the Niles we knew and loved had almost left the show! And when this happened the show plummeted in quality, even though Frasier remained the same character? Does this not mean that Niles was actually the best character????
Rodge

Postby Pisa32 » Sat May 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Niles. I love him sooooo much. But Frasier I think works great as the main character and is irreplacable.
Pisa32

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat May 26, 2007 5:05 pm

Rob wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:Niles lost everything about him when he got together with Daphne, so for that reason, I'm picking Frasier.

But is it not true that most people agree that the show went downhill after Niles and Daphne got together. Does that not point out that Niles was a major player in the enjoyment of the show. You say " Niles lost everything about him when he got together with Daphne", almost as if the Niles we knew and loved had almost left the show! And when this happened the show plummeted in quality, even though Frasier remained the same character? Does this not mean that Niles was actually the best character????

For me the question wasn't which "character" makes the show work better. It was which guy, Frasier or Niles do you like better. That's why I picked Frasier. If I were to know these guys in "real life" (and I'm speaking of Frasier and Niles, not Kelsey and David), I think I'd be more apt to be drawn to Frasier. They are very similar men but Niles is just a bit more of fusspot than Frasier is. And as I said, I think Frasier comes off as the better "friend" of the two. That's not to put Niles in a negative light. I actually like both of them a lot.

Although I disagree that Niles was a better character. Why the show went downhill after Niles and Daphne got together is because there was not one, but two elements taken away. The unrequited love element and the Frasier/Niles element. That doesn't mean that Niles was a "better" character. It simply means that his character was an important part of the show. If you would have taken Martin out of the picture after S7, the show would have suffered as well. Does that mean that Martin was a better character?

Don't play the "better character" game with me my little Love Toy! You will lose! :wink:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Agides » Sat May 26, 2007 5:08 pm

Niles.
Reason? Two words - 'High Holidays' :lol: :lol:
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Rodge » Sat May 26, 2007 5:25 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Rob wrote:

For me the question wasn't which "character" makes the show work better. It was which guy, Frasier or Niles do you like better. That's why I picked Frasier. If I were to know these guys in "real life" (and I'm speaking of Frasier and Niles, not Kelsey and David), I think I'd be more apt to be drawn to Frasier. They are very similar men but Niles is just a bit more of fusspot than Frasier is. And as I said, I think Frasier comes off as the better "friend" of the two. That's not to put Niles in a negative light. I actually like both of them a lot.

Although I disagree that Niles was a better character. Why the show went downhill after Niles and Daphne got together is because there was not one, but two elements taken away. The unrequited love element and the Frasier/Niles element. That doesn't mean that Niles was a "better" character. It simply means that his character was an important part of the show. If you would have taken Martin out of the picture after S7, the show would have suffered as well. Does that mean that Martin was a better character?

Don't play the "better character" game with me my little Love Toy! You will lose! :wink:

It is one I was dubious about raising, because some of us have been here before, and when I really had to decide between the 4 main characters of Frasier, the one I would be the least unhappy about losing would be Frasier himself! :shock:
Rodge

Postby PeppotheDwarf » Sat May 26, 2007 5:40 pm

God i knew i would get a good response to this, i should post on here more often, very impressed with this website and its members
PeppotheDwarf

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat May 26, 2007 5:41 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote: If I were to know these guys in "real life" (and I'm speaking of Frasier and Niles, not Kelsey and David), I think I'd be more apt to be drawn to Frasier. They are very similar men but Niles is just a bit more of fusspot than Frasier is. And as I said, I think Frasier comes off as the better "friend" of the two.

Yes, I agree with this. Although I prefer Niles on the show, in real life, if I were to sit down and talk to them, I think Frasier would be more approachable. Niles would perhaps be more inclined to look down his nose at 'commoners' such as me!

Having said this, I still stick with my favourite character of the two being Niles. He has less screen time, but if I laugh out loud at a gag or some dialogue, it's usually Niles that makes me laugh loudest. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes