Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The People Have Spoken

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

The People Have Spoken

Postby Nervosa » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:01 pm

The final count shows that Ham Radio is the favourite episode of most people! It wouldn't be my choice, but there you have it :lol:

Thanks to all for supporting the voting rounds during the last 12 weeks [:]DRINK[/:]
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:02 pm

Oh well, at least it wasn't a landslide victory.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:23 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Oh well, at least it wasn't a landslide victory.

Tis true. Seems like a few of the others are catching up. Ham Radio appears to be losing steam!

It's still damn funny though! :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:30 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Oh well, at least it wasn't a landslide victory.

Tis true. Seems like a few of the others are catching up. Ham Radio appears to be losing steam!

It's still damn funny though! :lol:

Oh, it's a good episode - just not it my top 20. :)

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby DHP » Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:56 pm

Like many things that are truly great, it's now perhaps getting to the point where it's been viewed so many times that it's hard to remember why it is great, and just easier to dislike it.

For me though, I'll never forget the very first time I saw it. I've never enjoyed another episode as much as the first time I saw Ham Radio. Number 1, and happy to have it that way. :D
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:04 pm

DHP wrote:Like many things that are truly great, it's now perhaps getting to the point where it's been viewed so many times that it's hard to remember why it is great, and just easier to dislike it.

For me though, I'll never forget the very first time I saw it. I've never enjoyed another episode as much as the first time I saw Ham Radio. Number 1, and happy to have it that way. :D

I'm not so sure it's a matter of "disliking" it. Just for some, it loses it's appeal and it's not so funny anymore. I still think it's hysterically funny. It's not my favorite episode but it does rank up in the top 20 for sure. Maybe in the top 10.
CatNamedRudy

Postby DHP » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:10 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
DHP wrote:Like many things that are truly great, it's now perhaps getting to the point where it's been viewed so many times that it's hard to remember why it is great, and just easier to dislike it.

I'm not so sure it's a matter of "disliking" it. Just for some, it loses it's appeal and it's not so funny anymore. I still think it's hysterically funny. It's not my favorite episode but it does rank up in the top 20 for sure. Maybe in the top 10.

There seem to be an ever-increasing number of posts that resent it winning polls such as this though. It seems like it's almost becoming unfashionable to have it as your favourite.
DHP

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:19 pm

DHP wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

There seem to be an ever-increasing number of posts that resent it winning polls such as this though. It seems like it's almost becoming unfashionable to have it as your favourite.

Possibly.

I was never one for Fashionable Favorites anyway! :wink:

I don't know if people resent it winning so much as they were getting kind of tired of it being a runaway win. That wained with this poll. With some people just seeing some of the later seasons, (mostly S7 but also S6) it looks like Something Borrowed, Someone Blue and Dial M for Martin are starting to give Ham Radio a serious run.

My favorite will never be in the top of the polls so I roll with the punches and vote for my favorite on the particular list.
CatNamedRudy

Postby DHP » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:21 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I don't know if people resent it winning so much as they were getting kind of tired of it being a runaway win. That wained with this poll. With some people just seeing some of the later seasons, (mostly S7 but also S6) it looks like Something Borrowed, Someone Blue and Dial M for Martin are starting to give Ham Radio a serious run.

My favorite will never be in the top of the polls so I roll with the punches and vote for my favorite on the particular list.

What is your favourite? I do value these polls, as they represent episodes which are in many ways just as good as Ham Radio, and so are ones to look out for.
DHP

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:26 pm

DHP wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I don't know if people resent it winning so much as they were getting kind of tired of it being a runaway win. That wained with this poll. With some people just seeing some of the later seasons, (mostly S7 but also S6) it looks like Something Borrowed, Someone Blue and Dial M for Martin are starting to give Ham Radio a serious run.

What is your favourite? I do value these polls, as they represent episodes which are in many ways just as good as Ham Radio, and so are ones to look out for.

The Adventures of Bad Boy and Dirty Girl.

It was the episode that should have ended the Kate Costas era.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:27 pm

DHP wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

I don't hate the episode, i really like it - probably in the area of 20-30 in my favourite ps, which is pretty high considering the amount of eps there are.

I don't resent it winning, that's a harsh summation, rather just think it would be nice to see another ep win, just once :)

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:30 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
DHP wrote:

A good choice. I like the Kate era, in general.

My top 20 are floating around the board somewhere in some sort of ultimate Frasier season (ok that must make 24)

Usually the ones near the top for me are 'Dad Loves Sherry...', 'Daphne's Room', 'My Coffee With Niles', 'Shrink Rap', 'Three Dates...', etc

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
DHP wrote:

My top 20 are floating around the board somewhere in some sort of ultimate Frasier season (ok that must make 24)

Usually the ones near the top for me are 'Dad Loves Sherry...', 'Daphne's Room', 'My Coffee With Niles', 'Shrink Rap', 'Three Dates...', etc

Mine are out there as well. In fact, the Ultimate Frasier was my very first post on this board! That was only 2 months ago and some of my top 24 have already changed!

I really enjoyed the Kate era except that I think she stayed on one episode too long. TAOBBADG should have been the end. IHTSGIYWL was a poorly written episode (at least at the end). Although the fantasizing scenes that Frasier, Roz and Kate do are pretty funny. Especially Roz's!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Wezzo » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Sums up my thoughts, really. :)
Wezzo

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:46 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
DHP wrote:

Mine are out there as well. In fact, the Ultimate Frasier was my very first post on this board! That was only 2 months ago and some of my top 24 have already changed!

I really enjoyed the Kate era except that I think she stayed on one episode too long. TAOBBADG should have been the end. IHTSGIYWL was a poorly written episode (at least at the end). Although the fantasizing scenes that Frasier, Roz and Kate do are pretty funny. Especially Roz's!

I suppose TAOBBADG gave them a natural opportunity to write her out of the show too.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
DHP wrote:

I suppose TAOBBADG gave them a natural opportunity to write her out of the show too.

Well, certainly they BOTH would have been fired in the "real" world!
CatNamedRudy

Postby DHP » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:43 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I don't resent it winning, that's a harsh summation, rather just think it would be nice to see another ep win, just once :)

Well, maybe when more DVD releases have come out and more people have seen the likes of Dial M for Martin and Goodnight Seattle. Those are two of the ones I've heard discussed on this site but have never actually seen, so who knows, maybe I might defect in the next year or two once the right DVD has come out...

I doubt it though. Seeing Ham Radio for the first time was like seeing Del fall through a bar, or Basil Fawlty wait on some Germans; you just know it's comedy genius.
DHP

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:21 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I suppose TAOBBADG gave them a natural opportunity to write her out of the show too.

Good point. I'd never considered that before but you're right; it would have rounded off TAOBBADG a treat if Kate resigned at the end and left the audience wanting more. Unfortunately her final appearance in IHTSGIYWL (lame Casablanca parallel and all) left us with the feeling that she'd outstayed her welcome, which is a shame for such a strong character.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:21 pm

Well done on doing these polls so well Nervosa! They've been great. :D

Ham Radio was the predictable, but still deserving winner I see. That's fine by me.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Nervosa » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:27 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Well done on doing these polls so well Nervosa! They've been great. :D

Hey no problem! :)
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Rodge » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:10 pm

I think that your point is very valid there. Some times too much familiarity can lead to a certain ennui.
I remember Frasier first came out on video with "Best of" episodes, which I snapped up straight away. One of them contained Adventures in Paradise I & II. I used to watch these videos quite frequently and remember enjoying all episodes. The video box sets then came out for S1 - S4 and once again I used to watch every few months and after a while I began to dislike AIP to such an extent that Madeline Marshall became irritating to me.
So yes the same may apply to Ham Radio, everyone has got it and probably had it for so many years and watched it so many times that it's appeal has dropped. As you say when voting you should try and remember back to the first time you watched it when judging an episode.
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:11 pm

Rob wrote:So yes the same may apply to Ham Radio, everyone has got it and probably had it for so many years and watched it so many times that it's appeal has dropped. As you say when voting you should try and remember back to the first time you watched it when judging an episode.

I feel like a bad-boy now - i've always enjoyed the ep, but it's never been in my top episodes :oops: oh well.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:17 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Rob wrote:So yes the same may apply to Ham Radio, everyone has got it and probably had it for so many years and watched it so many times that it's appeal has dropped. As you say when voting you should try and remember back to the first time you watched it when judging an episode.

I feel like a bad-boy now - i've always enjoyed the ep, but it's never been in my top episodes :oops: oh well.

Well, you know, people's tastes vary, every opinion is valid.

Except yours ;)
Wezzo

Postby Rodge » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:19 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

As long as you don't want me to be your 'dirty girl'!! :?
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:31 pm

Rob wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

As long as you don't want me to be your 'dirty girl'!! :?

nah you're ok, Rob - we're best off sticking with those astral projection Kylie dreams from the other thread :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes