Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Daphne Moment

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Daphne Moment

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Oct 20, 2006 3:54 pm

Please read my other thread 'Frasier Forum Awards - The Rules' in order to know all about the voting process.

IMPORTANT: I have decided to return to the ‘Frasier Forum Award – Nomination’ threads once again after last week’s success ‘Favourite Farce’ thread, and they will be running alongside the ultimate polls simultaneously. Whether or not it’s a good idea to run the two simultaneously remains to be seen, although the evidence looks hopeful – but let’s hope so. Don’t forget the nomination process is very different to the recent polls that have been running, and require you to list your 5-10 personal choices for the category in question. There will be a poll in the near future that relates to the results of this nomination process. I hope that all makes sense – please let me know if it doesn’t! You have will have a nice long while to list your nominations, because the voting process for this thread wouldn’t finish until I launch the poll for it in the near future.

Well, it’s been over a week now since I started the last ‘Forum Awards’ thread, so I think we’re due another one. As with the 'Best Frasier/Niles/Martin Moment' threads that I did in the summer (although its hard to remember that long ago!), I’m convinced that this new one is going to be another really hard list to put together, because we have an absolute wealth of material to choose from, at least from the first seven seasons anyway. This time I am asking you to list your Top Daphne Moments. However, in order to get a diverse representation of people’s opinions, I am asking you to nominate between 5 (minimum) and 10 (maximum) moments. The reason I am raising the amount is because I am sceptical that we’ll be able to put together a good final poll if we don’t have a lot of material to choose from. I am going to start by listing just 5 ‘Top Niles Moments’, but I may add to them over the next couple of days, using the editing facility.

I am going to ask everyone to nominate their Top 5-10 Daphne Moon moments in 'Frasier', and the moments with the most nominations will make the eventual shortlist and contend for the ultimate award. The 5 most popular Niles moments, with the most votes will make the shortlist for the award, and when the final shortlist is published, you will have another chance to vote in this category. In its first seven years, Jane Leeves’ presence was certainly an integral part of the show’s format – and her kooky, eccentric personality worked a treat, as did her ignorance of Niles’ adoration for her. Whether she’s telling stories about Grammy Moon and her brothers, or embarking off on another eccentric tangents, Daphne was, on the whole, a superb character, excellently brought to life on screen.

Anyway, my Top Daphne moments are:
1) On the balcony with Niles, as she realises she loves him – but can’t cancel the wedding and her commitment to Donny. Beautifully performed moment, utterly spellbinding (Something Borrowed, Someone Blue)
2) Jane’s performance in ‘Daphne’s Room’ – catching Frasier in her room three times, and her subsequent rage ‘that’s one leering love God too many’, but the notable ‘moment’ is certainly the farcical brilliance of Daphne preparing for a shower, unaware of Frasier’s awkward concealment. Comic brilliance (Daphne’s Room)
3) ‘Oh for Heaven’s sake… splat!’ The legendary eel slaughter…. Such a wonderful visual gag (The Innkeepers)
4) ‘Who’s that grouchy gus I see, you can’t be grouchy, not with me!’ Daphne’s sock puppet alter-ego (Chess Pains)
5) Daphne trying to keep calm and keep everyone together, when her old boyfriend Clive Roddy turns up. ‘And this Doctor Niles Crane… my husband!’, ‘Are you sure that’s wise dear, remember that blackout you had last month… oh, of course you don’t’. One of Jane Leeves’ finest performances; she manages to carry the episode brilliantly. (The Two Mrs Cranes)
6) Daphne makes quite an impress on Martin in the very first episode, with her physic predictions (‘You’re an flourist!’). (The Good Son)
7) The priceless scene with Niles in ‘Daphne Hates Sherry’ – I love her row with Sherry (‘one of you’re bloody big biscuits broke the blakde’) and her exchange with Niles during the heat wave is pretty special. (Daphne Hates Sherry)

As with the previous ‘Best Moments’ threads in August, I tried and tried to keep my list at just five nominations, but as you can see I failed miserably. As I knew it would be, this list was horribly difficult to compile, and I know I’ve missed loads of classic moments out. Over the eleven season’s Jane has been mostly excellent throughout (although I preferred the character prior to Season 8), and I want to make sure that this poll does her and her character’s brilliance justice, so think long and hard about your choices. So, everybody get voting, and hopefully your favourite Daphne moments will make the final list of nominations for this category, and may even win the Forum Award. Happy voting!
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:35 pm

Here are my choices (in no particular order)

1) The Innkeepers - Smack Goes the Eel!

2) Martin Does It His Way - Her horror when she realises she's in Canada and her repetition of "sure."

3) Dark Victory - arguing with Martin.

4) The Two Mrs Cranes - The last few scenes, where everything is coming apart and Daphne and Roz are getting more and more angry with each other..."How am I going to get rid of this BLOODY BABY?"

5) Where There's Smoke, There's Fired - The cigarette battle with Bebe.

6) Look Before You Leap - Daphne's atrocious haircut.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby citystreets » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:12 pm

OK, a few are more or less whole episodes when Daphne had a sustained dominant story throughout the episode, others are just brilliant random bits. Like Cake For Brains mentioned, there's nothing post-S8 here for me either...

1). Daphne's farce in The Two Mrs. Cranes
2). Moondance
3). The 'I don't know why...' speech; Death and The Dog
4). Daphne competing for her pub; Where Every Bloke Knows Your Name
5). Flesh is burning; High Crane Drifter
Frasier: Yes, I've seen your log, and I’ve dated every toad on it!
citystreets

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:53 pm

1. Something Borrowed, Someone Blue
2. The ''there'll be no dogs in hell'' spiel in Voyage Of The Damned
3. Killing the eel in The Inkeepers
4. Her giving Niles all sorts of obvious signals in Daphne Hates Sherry
5. The He's not a diagram speech in Rooms With A View
6. Her impulsive decision to marry Niles in Moons Over Seattle
7. Her drag queen American in Three Dates And A Breakup
Stratman

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Oct 21, 2006 3:52 pm

Her entire first scene in 'The Good Son' is just wonderful, setting out her character perfectly. "It's not like I can predict the lottery numbers or anything - if I could I wouldn't be sitting here talking to the likes of you, would I?" :lol:

The eel scene in 'The Innkeepers' is just textbook Daphne, getting across her ballsy spirit in the face of Frasier and Niles' rather wet behaviour!

The kitchen 'Heart and Soul...' scene with Niles in 'First Date'. Ooh, gives me shivers.

There's an episode where she suddenly starts drunkenly singing 'Who's that little girl in the mirror there? What mirror, where?' to a bemused room. Can't remember the episode though.

Oh, and that season one episode where she goes on a date with Bulldog (or Pitbull) - getting absolutely legless and clonking him on the head with her champagne glass. Jane Leeves does drunken acting so, so well.

There are many, many more, which I'll post when I remember them. But thinking back over classic Daphne moments is such a joy, as there are so many and they're played so well.
Bad Ambassador

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:30 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
There's an episode where she suddenly starts drunkenly singing 'Who's that little girl in the mirror there? What mirror, where?' to a bemused room. Can't remember the episode though.

Yeah, I love that one. :lol:

Check it out, people, 3000 posts. Now I get to learn the secret handshake.
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:43 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:Her entire first scene in 'The Good Son' is just wonderful, setting out her character perfectly. "It's not like I can predict the lottery numbers or anything - if I could I wouldn't be sitting here talking to the likes of you, would I?" :lol:

The eel scene in 'The Innkeepers' is just textbook Daphne, getting across her ballsy spirit in the face of Frasier and Niles' rather wet behaviour!

The kitchen 'Heart and Soul...' scene with Niles in 'First Date'. Ooh, gives me shivers.

Oh, and that season one episode where she goes on a date with Bulldog (or Pitbull) - getting absolutely legless and clonking him on the head with her champagne glass. Jane Leeves does drunken acting so, so well.

There are many, many more, which I'll post when I remember them. But thinking back over classic Daphne moments is such a joy, as there are so many and they're played so well.

Some great scenes there BA. If you think in terms of a TV obituary, I reckon the 'Eel Killing' scene from The Innkeepers would be the clip they'd show. I know that's a bit of a morbid thought, but that clip so sums Daphne up.

I also love Jane's drunken acting in Can't Buy Me Love :lol:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:43 pm

Stratman wrote:Check it out, people, 3000 posts. Now I get to learn the secret handshake.

Well done mate! It's an exclusice 'club' so far! :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:03 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I also love Jane's drunken acting in Can't Buy Me Love :lol:

Oh yes, that's the name! I don't know why but it completely escaped my memory!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:03 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:Check it out, people, 3000 posts. Now I get to learn the secret handshake.

I call vice president... no, wait, junior vice president.
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

:lol: Either a Simpsons or a Seinfeld quote that one, and I can't remember which!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:35 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I also love Jane's drunken acting in Can't Buy Me Love :lol:

Jane's scene is probably the biggest LOL moment in the whole ep! I do enjoy season 1, I haven't seen it for a bit.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:

:lol: Either a Simpsons or a Seinfeld quote that one, and I can't remember which!

It's from The Simpsons, ''Das Bus'' to be exact.
Stratman

Postby Stratman » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:37 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:
Bad Ambassador wrote:

Jane's scene is probably the biggest LOL moment in the whole ep! I do enjoy season 1, I haven't seen it for a bit.

Does anybody else think her accent in that episode was especially strong?
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:45 pm

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Bad Ambassador wrote:

Does anybody else think her accent in that episode was especially strong?

Yes, it was probably most similar to the one she used in The Good Son. I think she played it as the drunker she got, the more pronounced her accent became, which is true if you think about it. I have a fairly strong Yorkshire accent which I refine as much as possible when talking to, say, Americans over the phone to make myself understood (I'm not saying anything bad about Americans here, it's just the Yorkshire accent is one they seem to have particular trouble with). When I'm drunk, I couldn't give a toss what I sound like!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:52 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:When I'm drunk, I couldn't give a toss what I sound like!

Drink alone and it's not a problem anyway! :lol:
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:59 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:When I'm drunk, I couldn't give a toss what I sound like!

Drink alone and it's not a problem anyway! :lol:

True! :lol:

I was thinking of a particular incident I had at a work's party when I'd had a few too many. About halfway through the evening people stopped understanding what I was saying! I'm quite sure it wasn't because of slurred speech either, it was because half of them were from either London or abroad and couldn't tell what the F*** this gibbering Yorkshireman was saying!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:08 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:I was thinking of a particular incident I had at a work's party when I'd had a few too many. About halfway through the evening people stopped understanding what I was saying! I'm quite sure it wasn't because of slurred speech either, it was because half of them were from either London or abroad and couldn't tell what the F*** this gibbering Yorkshireman was saying!

Probably for the best - you might have been drunkenly admitting to all your colleagues that all you do every weekend is watch DVDs in the office!
Bad Ambassador

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:14 pm

Bad Ambassador wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:I was thinking of a particular incident I had at a work's party when I'd had a few too many. About halfway through the evening people stopped understanding what I was saying! I'm quite sure it wasn't because of slurred speech either, it was because half of them were from either London or abroad and couldn't tell what the F*** this gibbering Yorkshireman was saying!

Probably for the best - you might have been drunkenly admitting to all your colleagues that all you do every weekend is watch DVDs in the office!

Ha ha! :lol: You may be right!

One day I'll take a picture of my workstation and post it here, just for the laugh! I may do that on my Who weekend next week! :mrgreen:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Bad Ambassador » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:04 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:One day I'll take a picture of my workstation and post it here, just for the laugh! I may do that on my Who weekend next week! :mrgreen:

That's a great idea - we may as well all see this wonderful, magical place! :)
Bad Ambassador

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Oct 21, 2006 7:47 pm

Beer Necessity wrote:Well done mate! It's an exclusice 'club' so far! :wink:

I want in! I want in!

I like the Yorkshire accent. My rather excellent English teacher last year is from Yorkshire and he had a nice soft voice.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:49 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:

I want in! I want in!

I'm sure you'll be joining soon enough :D

You can be Assistant Junior Vice President...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:39 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:

I want in! I want in!

I'd prefer Assistant To The Vice President.
Stratman

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:15 am

Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:

I want in! I want in!

Now, I know that's Seinfeld! :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:17 am

Beer Necessity wrote:
Stratman wrote:
Beer Necessity wrote:
Bee Gees Fan wrote:

I want in! I want in!

Now, I know that's Seinfeld! :wink:

Indeed it is. I'm full of quotable notables.

Can you tell me where I got quotable notables from?
Stratman

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes