Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards - Worst Episode - Vote now! Final poll!

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Vote for your least favourite episode from the shortlist below. The winning episode will win the 'Forum Award'

Poll ended at Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:16 pm

Legal Tender Love and Care (Season 8)
No votes
The Wizard and Roz (Season 8)
No votes
A Day in May (Season 8)
67%
War of the Words (Season 9)
22%
Some Assembly Required (Season 10)
11%

Total votes : 9

Frasier Forum Awards - Worst Episode - Vote now! Final poll!

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:16 pm

I’ll start by thanking everybody who showed interest in the recent ‘Best Episode Poll’ which ended yesterday, and although the winner (Ham Radio) was a tad predictable, it was still a lot of fun. However, this second poll takes us right down to the other end of the scale – and this time we’re looking for the worst episode of ‘Frasier’ ever produced. Unlike the previous ‘Forum Awards’ threads than ran in the summer, the ‘Best Frasier Episode’ is going to operate as a poll, and you will have the opportunity to vote for your personal least favourite episode from the five nominations given above. This time, you are not posting a list of nominations, because the episode which triumphs (is that the right word?) in this poll will be named ‘Worst Frasier Episode’, and will hopefully represent this forum’s views accurately. I am going to allow this poll to run for a week, before the winner is announced next Thursday (28th September).

If you have any questions at all, please feel free to ask. Otherwise, happy voting everyone (and try not to get too depressed at the episodes mentioned above, even ‘Frasier’ had bad days).

The Five ‘Worst Frasier Episodes’ at the moment are:

1) A Day in May (11 votes)
2) The Wizard and Roz (10 votes)
3) War of the Words (7 votes)
4) Legal Tender Love and Care (5 votes)
5) Some Assembly Required (5 votes)

Below is a list of interesting statistics (well I thought so) concerning the voting progress, and I have divided the episodes into their appropriate season’s. The number allocated in brackets next to the episode indicates how many votes it received. There were a total of 45 episodes voted for, which (again) represents the diversity of this forum. I suppose the five episodes that have made the final list are all absolute ‘clunkers’ in terms of ‘Frasier’ standards, and there aren’t really any surprise additions amongst them. Saladin K Patterson, the infamous writer who was on staff during Frasier’s worst years has received a pretty strong voice amongst the results, with three of his episodes making the final poll – although personally I think Eric Zicklin was even worse. I suppose it speaks volume about the dire quality of the episodes shortlisted that I actually think ‘War of the Words’ is the best episode out of the five (‘War of the Words’ and ‘best’ aren’t two words you hear in a sentence very often). Admittedly, ‘WOTW’ is a terrible example, badly written and embarrassingly out-of-character, but I (personally) don’t think its quite as terrible as the majority. I was tempted to go for either ‘The Wizard and Roz’ or ‘Some Assembly Required’, but in the end I voted for ‘A Day in May’, surely the most banal twenty-two minutes in the show’s long history. This episode has not one redeeming feature, whether it be the poorly handled, heavy-handed subplot featuring Martin’s shooter or Frasier sucking a lolly, it’s all hideous and painful to watch.

Season 1
Call Me Irresponsible (1)
Death Becomes Him (1)
Fortysomething (3)

Season 2
The Unkindest Cut of All (1)
Burying a Grudge (1)
The Show where Sam shows up (1)
You Scratch my Book (1)

Season 3
The Focus Group (1)

Season 4
Head Game (1)
To Kill a Talking Bird (1)
Roz’s Krantz and Goldenstein Are Dead (1)
Odd Man Out (1)

Season 5
The 1000th Show (2)
Perspectives on Christmas (1)
The Ski Lodge (1)
Frasier Gotta Have It (1)

Season 6
Good Samaritan (2)
Dr Nora (2)

Season 7
Momma Mia (1)
The Dog that Rocks the Cradle (2)

Season 8
Legal Tender Love and Care (5)
Frasier’s Edge (3)
Motor Skills (2)
Sliding Frasier’s (1)
Docu.Drama (1)
It Takes Two to Tangle (1)
The Wizard and Roz (10)
A Day in May (11)

Season 9
Room Full of Heroes (1)
Juvenilia (1)
The Proposal (1)
War of the Words (7)
Deathtrap (1)
Frasier Has Spokane (4)
The Guilt Trippers (3)

Season 10
Enemy at the Gate (2)
Kissing Cousin (3)
Door Jam (2)
Trophy Girlfriend (1)
Fraternal Schwinns (1)
Some Assembly Required (5)
The Devil and Dr. Phil (1)
A New Position for Roz (1)

Season 11
High Holidays (1)
Detour (2)

And now how did the seasons far in the voting?

1st = Season 8 (34 votes)
2nd = Season 9 (18 votes)
3rd = Season 10 (16 votes)
4th = Season 1 (5 votes)
4th = Season 5 (5 votes)
6th = Season 2 (4 votes)
6th = Season 4 (4 votes)
6th = Season 6 (4 votes)
9th = Season 7 (3 votes)
9th = Season 11 (3 votes)
11th = Season 3 (1 vote)

Some rather interesting results there I think. There are some episodes that have received nominations in this poll that I simply can’t understand such as ‘High Holidays’, ‘The Ski Lodge’, ‘Dr Nora’ and ‘Perspectives on Christmas’. And, Season 3 getting the least votes is quite a surprise, which I suppose reinforces just what a strong, great season it is. Only one vote – superb result.

Happy voting everybody!
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:26 pm

Just in case anybody skipped all the wordy bits in my above post, I thought I'd re-post my thoughts on the episode that I've voted for, where they're probably more likely to be read.

I suppose it speaks volume about the dire quality of the episodes shortlisted that I actually think ‘War of the Words’ is the best episode out of the five (‘War of the Words’ and ‘best’ aren’t two words you hear in a sentence very often). Admittedly, ‘WOTW’ is a terrible example, badly written and embarrassingly out-of-character, but I (personally) don’t think its quite as terrible as the majority. I was tempted to go for either ‘The Wizard and Roz’ or ‘Some Assembly Required’, but in the end I voted for ‘A Day in May’, surely the most banal twenty-two minutes in the show’s long history. This episode has not one redeeming feature, whether it be the poorly handled, heavy-handed subplot featuring Martin’s shooter or Frasier sucking a lolly, it’s all hideous and painful to watch.
Cake for Brains

Postby Stratman » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:45 pm

I chose ''Some Assembly Required.''

Frasier was painfully annoying, worse still, the subplot, featured a scene where Niles gives a ''changed'' kid his wipes. Yuck. :(

I'm not suprised ''Dr Nora'' got a vote. It's pretty painful to watch, IMHO. I'm sure we all know whom Joe was skewering; I just wish he hadn't. Joe isn't known for his subtlety, IMO, but this one took the cake. Portraying Dr Nora AKA Dr Laura with no redeemable qualities whatsoever was low, IMHO. This may offend some people, but I saw that episode as nothing more than heavy-handed propaganda.
Stratman

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:16 pm

If Door Jam was on the list, I'd vote for that - it's the episode that I least enjoyed. I'm not sure which one of the five here is the worst...I'll have to have a think.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby DHP » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:07 pm

Of the five listed, I've only seen The Wizard and Roz and A Day In May. My vote went for the latter as along with others, I thought it wasn't funny and it wasn't as challenging or moving as it wanted to be in the serious moments involving Martin's shooter.

I don't recall if I saw all of The Wizard and Roz, but I didn't think it was too bad really. Not great, but not bad. Am surprised Martin Does It His Way isn't on the list. That episode really grates for me now. It was only mildly amusing the first time I saw it, and now it just sucks.
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:44 pm

DHP wrote:Am surprised Martin Does It His Way isn't on the list. That episode really grates for me now. It was only mildly amusing the first time I saw it, and now it just sucks.

What are the reasons for that, DHP?

Martin Does It His Way is one of my favourite episodes, so I'm interested in what you dislike about it.

Maybe the fact that I first saw the episode in America has something to do with my liking it so much. Every time I've been in America, I've been on holiday, so I associate America with happy times and holidays, and so seeing it over there may have contributed slightly to my liking of it.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:46 pm

I really like Martin Does It His Way too.

"Sheeeeeee's such a groovey lady..." I'm always whistling it! It would have been a great Sinatra song I reckon.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby roz11 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:12 pm

War of the Words definitely get my vote. I remember the first time I watched it I was so appauled! :lol:
roz11

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:13 pm

nervosa wrote:"Sheeeeeee's such a groovey lady..." I'm always whistling it! It would have been a great Sinatra song I reckon.

I like the song too, although when my Dad saw the episode, he said it was nothing like a Frank Sinatra song. I guess he knows best - after all, he is 58, and has heard more Sinatra songs than I have.

Frank had a really good voice.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Wezzo » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:11 pm

IIRC, one of my nominations was Dr. Nora. It's dire.

Voted for A Day In May. Utter tripe.
Wezzo

Postby citystreets » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:18 pm

When I watched S8 recently, I actually didn't mind the Wizard and Roz that much at all. :oops:

My first pick would probably have been the Dog That Rocks the Cradle but out of these, I think A Day in May takes it; a total, embarrassing clunker in every way.
Frasier: Yes, I've seen your log, and I’ve dated every toad on it!
citystreets

Postby me123 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:15 am

Who voted for "The Focus Group"?

Anyway, not having seen any episodes, I can't vote. :(
me123

Postby !Amz! » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:31 pm

Just out of interest Cakey, are you still gonna do the other nomination threads?
!Amz!

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:40 pm

I'd really like to do the other threads, but the last few I did sparked very little interest/responses. I might do a few more of these, and if they're successful, run somemore Nominations' threads simualtameously.
Cake for Brains

Postby welshben23 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:22 pm

4 words- WAR OF THE WORDS!
welshben23

Postby Stratman » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:45 am

Cake for Brains wrote:I'd really like to do the other threads, but the last few I did sparked very little interest/responses. I might do a few more of these, and if they're successful, run somemore Nominations' threads simualtameously.

I think that was more a case of people not being used to the new forum format. All of your polls were in the new section and I think people just kind of forgot.
Stratman

Postby Stratman » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:46 am

On another note, I'm suprised how few votes WOTW has gotten. Where's BN and Jocylen. :lol:
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:27 pm

Only a couple of hours left until the voting closes?

Let's at least see if we can get the total number of votes cast into double figures!
Cake for Brains

Postby Nervosa » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:47 am

I think Death And The Dog should be on the list. Man, how depressing. The writers must have been trying to reach some sort of deadline for this one.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:21 am

nervosa wrote:I think Death And The Dog should be on the list. Man, how depressing. The writers must have been trying to reach some sort of deadline for this one.

I liked Death and the Dog. I don't think it's one of the stronger episodes of Season Four, but it's still one I enjoy.

Although the characters all become miserable and talk about how horrible they feel, I actually don't think the episode is that depressing. They still get some quite good jokes in the episode, and it ends on a high note. Contrast that with Frasier's Edge (which I liked as well), which left me feeling very miserable at the end. I wasn't miserable because I disliked the episode (as I said, I like Frasier's Edge) but I was miserable because I felt so sorry for Frasier.

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Stratman » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:13 am

nervosa wrote:I think Death And The Dog should be on the list. Man, how depressing. The writers must have been trying to reach some sort of deadline for this one.

I can't disagree more. I found that to be a hugely entertaining, and revealing episode.
Stratman

Postby Cake for Brains » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:42 am

The forum has spoken, and the 'Fraser Forum Award' for the Worst Episode goes to... A Day in May

I'll start a new poll as soon as I can.

And, as for 'Death and the Dog', it's one of my all time favourites and would easily make my Top 20. Every character gets to shine in it.
Cake for Brains

Postby Nervosa » Sun Oct 01, 2006 11:58 am

I just don't like it guys, it was too heavy for me I think. Frasier and Niles did have some good lines about the dog thearapist, but that was about it for me I'm afraid.
Nervosa

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:09 pm

nervosa wrote:it was too heavy for me I think.

"Whoa, this is heavy, Doc!"

You've just put Back to the Future right back into my mind, Nervosa. :D

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Nervosa » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:11 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:You've just put Back to the Future right back into my mind, Nervosa. :D

I have a feeling it's never too far from your mind, BGF! :)
Nervosa

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes