Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Niles Moment

A forum for Frasier and Frasier-related games / polls / quizzes. All registered members are able to start their own polls in this forum.

Frasier Forum Awards: Nominations - Best Niles Moment

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:26 am

Please read my other thread 'Frasier Forum Awards - The Rules' in order to know all about the voting process.

Well, it’s been two days since I started the last ‘Forum Awards’ thread, so I think we’re due another one. As with the recent 'Best Frasier Moment' thread, I’m convinced that this new one is going to be another really hard list to put together, because we have an absolute wealth of material to choose from. This time I am asking you to list your Top Niles Moments. However, in order to get a diverse representation of people’s opinions, I am asking you to nominate between 5 (minimum) and 10 (maximum) moments. The reason I am raising the amount is because I am sceptical that we’ll be able to put together a good final poll if we don’t have a lot of material to choose from. I am going to start by listing just 5 ‘Top Niles Moments’, but I may add to them over the next couple of days.

I am going to ask everyone to nominate their Top 5-10 Niles moments in 'Frasier', and the moments with the most nominations will make the eventual shortlist and contend for the ultimate award. The 5 most popular Niles moments, with the most votes will make the shortlist for the award, and when the final shortlist is published, you will have another chance to vote in this category. I doubt that ‘Frasier’ would have been the hilarious show it turned into without David Hyde Pierce as Fras'er brother, and what with his pretentious behaviour, his snobbery, his love of Daphne and the sibling rivalry, we are simply spoilt for choice this time.

BEST FRASIER MOMENTS
1) Peppo the Dwarf, O'Tool the Gardener, Prudence McAlistair and Hans the German Butler. (Ham Radio)
2) Niles makes a breakthrough at couple's therapy (The Maris Counsellor)
3) Hot 'n Foamy (Are You Being Served)
4) Niles in his element 'married' to Daphne (The Two Mrs Cranes)
5) A Valentine for Niles (Three Valentines)
6) Niles vs Gunhar (An Affair to Forget)
7) Niles orders his steak (Dinner at Eight)

As with the previous poll, I tried and tried to keep my list at just five nominations, but as you can see I failed miserably. As I knew it would be, this list was horribly difficult to compile, and I know I’ve missed loads of classic moments out. Over the eleven season’s DHP has been nothing short of fantastic throughout (although I preferred the character prior to Season 8), and I want to make sure that this poll does him and his character’s brilliance justice, so think long and hard about your choices.So, everybody get voting, and hopefully your favourite Niles moments will make the final list of nominations for this category, and may even win the Forum Award. Happy voting!
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Wezzo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Wow, mine's similar to Cakey's.

1. Characters in "Ham Radio"
2. "Three Valentines" segment
3. Hot'n'Foamy, "Are You Being Served"
4. Married to Daphne in "The Two Mrs Cranes"
5. Subconsciously trying to kill Martin?, "Dial M For Martin"
Wezzo

Postby Wezzo » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Wow, mine's similar to Cakey's.

3. Hot'n'Foamy, "Are You Being Served"
4. Married to Daphne in "The Two Mrs Cranes"
5. Subconsciously trying to kill Martin?, "Dial M For Martin"
Wezzo

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:40 pm

1) Niles' fencing match with Gunnar

2)Niles in his pirate outfit in A Midwinter Night's Dream

3) Niles' attempts to ride a bike in Fraternal Schwinns

4) Niles displaying his acting abilities in Ham Radio and his murder of the characters.

5) Niles covered in Hot'N'Foamy in Are You Being Served.

6) Niles arrives with a bag of flour strapped to his chest in Flour Child.
Last edited by Bee Gees Fan on Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 1:55 pm

1. Hot n Foamy (Are You Being Served)
2. Niles crashes car listening to Frasier and Kate on air (Adventures Of Bad Boy And Dirty Girl)
3. Niles finding money for Sherry so that she can buy enough perfume to drown herself in (Dad Love Sherry, The Boys Just Whine)
4. Niles, acting boorishly, tells Andrew about his drinking problem (The Great Crane Robbery)
5. Niles plays Martin (Room Full Of Heroes)
6. Niles at the party (Halloween)
7. Niles to Roz 'Well, i'll be a sonofabitch' (Dial M For Martin)
8. Niles throwing back the peanuts (Retirement Is Murder)
9. Niles's last straw (Murder Most Maris)
10. 'Three Valentines' segment (Three Valentines)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:10 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:1) Niles' fencing match with Gunnar

2)Niles in his pirate outfit in A Midwinter Night's Dream

3) Niles' attempts to ride a bike in Fraternal Schwinns

4) Niles displaying his acting abilities in Ham Radio and his murder of the characters.

5) Niles covered in Hot'N'Foamy in Are You Being Served.

6) Niles arrives with a bag of flour strapped to his chest in The Matchmaker.

Wasn't the bag of flour strapped to his chest in Flour Child?
welshben23

Postby welshben23 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:03 pm

1) The way Niles Says “What a lovely sunset. Dad,come join me on the balcony” (Dial M for Martin)
2) Niles walking out of the kitchen dressed as Jesus (Merry Christmas Mrs Moskowitz)
3) Niles fainting at the sight of blood (Three Valentines)
4) The fencing scene where he fights Gunnar (An Affair to Forget)
5) Niles covered in Hot'n'Foamy foam (Are you being Served)
6) Niles' OTT fall where he lands on a fork (High Crane Drifter)
7) The whole episode, especially when Niles asks Clive to stay for dinner (The Two Mrs Cranes)
8) Niles taking too much medicine and dragged onto the floor with the tablecloth- (IQ)
9) Niles playing most of the parts and shooting everyone (Ham Radio)
10) All of the episode especially when Niles gets his big nose bent across his face and when he tries to whip out his sword (Halloween)

I know I've missed out so many other great moments!
welshben23

Postby !Amz! » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:10 pm

I prepared for this thread yesterday, by typing out all my favourite moments on WordPad and then wittling them down to my top ten. Here's what I got:

Murder Most Maris - Niles finally snaps and ends up sitting naked in Café Nervosa.
Frasier Grinch - The sight of Niles in that beeping, flashing, water squirting hat in the toy store.
Dial M For Martin - The 'Son of a Bitch' line.
Three Valentines - Niles setting his pants on fire.
No Sex Please, We're Skittish - Niles running up the stairs after his Testi-Cool 2000 short circuits.
Farewell Nervosa - Niles dancing around to Ben's music in the Café - much to Frasier's disgust.
Are You Being Served? - The Hot n Foamy exploding.
Goodnight Seattle - Niles hyperventalating and fainting when Daphne goes into labour.
Ham Radio - Playing the six different characters, and 'shooting' everyone when he gets fed up with Frasier's directing.
A Lilith Thanksgiving - The look on Niles' face when the entrails fall out of the turkey, and also, when he accidently slams the refridgerator door in Frederick's face.

There's obviously loads more I'd like to add, I went through the whole 11 seasons picking out my favourite parts from the episodes I'd seen. I'd love to of included my favourite Niles moments from "Moondance", "An Affair to Forget", and "The Two Mrs Cranes" but these are definatly my top ten, and hopefully, I shant be editing them as much as I edited my Frasier moments!
Last edited by !Amz! on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
!Amz!

Postby roz11 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:11 pm

3. Walking out of the kitchen dressed as Jesus in "Merry Christmas Mrs Moskowitz"

4. Pretending to be married to Daphne in "The Two Mrs.Cranes"

5. Covered in Hot'N'Foamy in "Are You Being Served."
roz11

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:18 pm

welshben23 wrote:Wasn't the bag of flour strapped to his chest in Flour Child?

Yes, it was - I've no idea why I put The Matchmaker. I must have been thinking of the episode at the time.

I'll change it.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Corevelay » Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:22 pm

1. Niles in the hatchback (How To Bury A Millionaire)
2. Hot N' Foamy (Are You Being Served?)
3. Ham Radio characters
4. Holding the eel Daphne killed (The Innkeepers)
5. When the lights go out, Niles: "Not your fault Daphne!" (Dark Victory)
6. Niles Crane: Hung Psychiatrist. (Love Bites Dog)
7. The Three Valentines scene.
8. When he accidentally shoots the gun (She's The Boss (I think it's that ep))
9. Niles as Jesus (Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz)
10. The bag of flour strapped to his chest (Flour Child)

Theres many more that deserve a mention though.
Last edited by Corevelay on Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
Corevelay

Postby Jocelyn » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:31 pm

I found this even more difficult to compile than the top Frasier moments as there were so many I had to leave out:

The Matchmaker (Niles in the kitchen having no problem with Tom dating Frasier)
An Affair To Forget (The climactic fencing sequence)
Kisses Sweeter Than Wine (Niles moves backwards and forwards poking Frasier for static electricity)
High Crane Drifter (The most ludicrous pratfall ever seen on television - 'Countersuit!')
Ham Radio (Fed up with his brother's overdirecting, Niles kills off all the remaining 'Nightmare Inn' characters)
Are You Being Served? (Hot and foamy)
Halloween (Cyrano gets drunk like a fox)
Three Valentines (Could hardly leave this one out!)
Father Of The Bride (Niles finally becomes aware that he's 'dating a whore')
Murder Most Maris (The last straw)
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby Jocelyn » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm

Corevelay wrote:6. Niles Crane: Hung Psychiatrist. (Can't remember the ep)

That's from Love Bites Dog, very funny joke! :D
"Then came Lilith. If I knew then what I know now, I would have walked down the aisle with the ice sculpture and had her stand by the buffet table to keep the shrimp cold."

- Frasier recalls wedded bliss in Father Of The Bride
Jocelyn

Postby welshben23 » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:05 pm

Corevelay wrote:1. Niles in the hatchback (How To Bury A Millionaire)
2. Hot N' Foamy (Are You Being Served?)
3. Ham Radio characters
4. Holding the eel Daphne killed (The Matchmaker)
5. When the lights go out, Niles: "Not your fault Daphne!" (Dark Victory)
6. Niles Crane: Hung Psychiatrist. (Can't remember the ep)
7. The Three Valentines scene.
8. When he acidentally shoots the gun (She's The Boss (I think it's that ep))
9. Niles as Jesus (Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz)
10. The bag of flour strapped to his chest (Flour Child)

Theres many more that deserve a mention though.

Sorry to be pedantic but doesn't Daphne kill the eel in The Innkeepers?
welshben23

Postby Corevelay » Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:07 pm

I know it's The Innkeepers, I dunno why I put The Matchmaker down lol
These pretzels are making me thirsty!
Corevelay

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:05 pm

Corevelay wrote:I know it's The Innkeepers, I dunno why I put The Matchmaker down lol

:lol: you're the second person to have done that with an episode. What mysterious power is The Matchmaker holding over our members :)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby brandybordeaux » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:18 pm

Already mentioned...
- Ham Radio
- Are You Being Served?
- Three Valentines
but also...
- Niles finding out about Rodney - Mixed Doubles
- "Niles gotta have it" - Look Before You Leap
brandybordeaux

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:10 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:What mysterious power is The Matchmaker holding over our members :)

It's BN! The Matchmaker is one of his favourite episodes. He's making sure it stays firmly rooted in our minds! :D

Bee Gees Fan

Postby Leanne » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:36 pm

1. High Crane Drifter - His over-dramatic crashing of tables, landing on a fork, and saying 'counter-suit!' to Frasier.

2. Travels With Martin - When he's slyly filming Daphne in the Winnebago (sp?), Frasier nudges him and sends him flying.

3. They're Playing Our Song - His narration during the song.

4. Three Valentines - Seeing his burnt finger and fainting. Repeatedly.

5. Look Before You Leap - Niles gotta have it!

6. A Lilith Thanksgiving - Horrified at having to prepare the turkey, he asks Lilith where she keeps her ten foot pole.

7. Bla-Z-Boy - Niles and Daphne are at the piano, they kiss passionately and the doorbell rings. He looks down at his crotch briefly (I think) and says to Daphne in a small voice 'could you get that?' (referring to the door, not his crotch :lol:)

8. Guess Who's Coming to Breakfast - Niles and Daphne are in the kitchen, he's keeping her company whilst she cooks. He attempts to be flirtatious and boyish and hoists himself onto the worktop, but whacks his head on the cooker hood, ending up on the floor.

9. How to Bury A Millionaire - Martin mentions the Shrangi-La is his kind of place, as Niles languishes on a Martin-style recliner in a Hawaiian shirt. Hearing his dad's approval, he suddenly cracks - "Get me out of this hell-hole!"
Last edited by Leanne on Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leanne

Postby welshben23 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:04 pm

Leanne wrote:1. High Crane Drifter - His over-dramatic crashing of tables, landing on a fork, and saying 'counter-suit!' to Frasier.

2. Travels With Martin - When he's slyly filming Daphne in the Winnebago (sp?), Frasier nudges him and sends him flying.

3. They're Playing Our Song - His narration during the song.

4. Three Valentines - Seeing his burnt finger and fainting. Repeatedly.

5. Look Before You Leap - Niles gotta have it!

6. A Lilith Thanksgiving - Horrified at having to prepare the turkey, he asks Lilith where she keeps her ten foot pole.

There's a couple of other moments I recall but don't remember the episodes for. I've checked the episode guide and am still none the wiser, because I can't fit the segments into the episodes' plots they belong to:

Niles and Daphne are at the piano, they kiss passionately and the doorbell rings. He looks down at his crotch briefly (I think) and says to Daphne in a small voice 'could you get that?' (referring to the door, not his crotch :lol:)

Niles and Daphne are in the kitchen, he's keeping her company whilst she cooks. He attempts to be flirtatious and boyish and hoists himself onto the worktop, but whacks his head on the cooker hood, ending up on the floor.

The episode where Niles and Daphne are at the piano, with the crotch incident is Bla-Z-Boy. The one where Niles hits whacks his head on the hood of the cooker is Guess Who's Coming to Breakfast :D .
welshben23

Postby Leanne » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:32 am

welshben23 wrote:The episode where Niles and Daphne are at the piano, with the crotch incident is Bla-Z-Boy. The one where Niles hits whacks his head on the hood of the cooker is Guess Who's Coming to Breakfast :D .

Great - cheers Ben. :) I knew someone would be able to place them. I'll edit my post so it makes more sense.
Leanne

Postby Sideshow Cecil » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:47 pm

Niles calling Maris after Donny tells him the source of her family money

Niles' sword fight with Gunther in "An Affair To Forget"

Niles' unneccessarily defending daphne's honour in "Halloween"

Niles first lesson in "Moondance" - "This is boring but difficult"

The shock on his face after Daphne's eel killing in "The Innkeepers"

Stealing a roadsign while Eddie stands guard

"How To Bury A Millionaire" - Finally realises he's kidding himself about his new apartament after Martin announces "This is my kind of place"

Frasier "Niles, a thriving Seattle nightspot is closing its' doors!"
Niles "Roz, you're moving"

and

[/i]Roz "I have trouble saying no."
Niles "So the guidebooks tell us."

Both from "The Innkeepers"

Waking up in a Winnebago which is not the RDWRER

Explaining how, when in bed with Dr Shenkman he knew it wasn't Maris. "I could feel heat coming from her side of the bed."
The beast is loose!
Sideshow Cecil

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:46 pm

To be honest, I just can't do this, or the Frasier one. Choosing five Martin moments was Hell on Earth. Also, I'd be very surprised if we got a consensus here about the forum's 'favourite ever moments' for each character. Every time a new post is made there's another choice for a moment I'd like to include in my list!

Maybe if there were a list of 10 to choose from, it would be easier. But then no doubt you'd get people complaining that you've left out their favourite moment! An impossible task, methinks.

Like BA, I'll guess I'll have to be a spoilsport as far as this poll goes :(
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stratman » Sat Aug 12, 2006 10:25 am

1. High Crane Drifter: Niles' ''countersuit.''
2. Three Valentines: The first scene.
3. The episode title escapes me: Niles getting a rub down with some hot cream.

Well, that's all I could think of. For me, there aren't many classic Niles moments, just instances. The laughter I got from Niles was usually ephemeral, you laughed hard, then quickly forgot.
Stratman

Postby welshben23 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:23 am

Stratman wrote:1. High Crane Drifter: Niles' ''countersuit.''
2. Three Valentines: The first scene.
3. The episode title escapes me: Niles getting a rub down with some hot cream.

Well, that's all I could think of. For me, there aren't many classic Niles moments, just instances. The laughter I got from Niles was usually ephemeral, you laughed hard, then quickly forgot.

Sorry Strat I can't agree with you there. :oops:. I thought Niles had more classic moments than Frasier over the whole 11 seasons. I thought moments were the same as instances!? :lol:
welshben23

Next

Return to Frasier Games / Polls / Quizzes