Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Trial of change to Off Topic forum visibility

Announcements about changes to the site, plus support of all sections of the site, such as the forum and gallery, are located in this forum

Postby DHP » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:33 pm

Rodge wrote:
DHP wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:
DHP wrote:I tend to just go round my mates' or phone them if I need to have a deep and meaningful. Tend to steer clear of posting personal stuff on the internet (apart from emails to friends) for reasons of security and privacy. Been burned in the past from sharing personal stuff with people who I ultimately didn't know as well as I needed to, so avoid it altogether in the past except with my closest friends who've proven to be reliable.

Personally, I find that it can be easier to talk about things with people I 'know' online than it can face to face. However, if it's anything sensitive, I tend to do it via PM.

With regard to what we're talking about here, I personally don't feel that there is any disadvantage to OT being 'members only' so why not? I wouldn't rely on it staying that way and typing any old thing in the forums, but I've seen it work on other forums, so hopefully it will here.

I respect that other people have different views on this, this is just my humble opinion. :)

I'm not particularly against it as it doesn't affect me, I'm just not in favour of it either as I don't see the advantages. However, for the sake of those who would be affected positively by it, I say go for it if you're sure.

Well thank you very much - so kind! :?

Sorry, just read that back and it doesn't come across that great...
Goodnight Seattle, we love ya!!!
DHP

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:12 pm

DHP wrote:
Rodge wrote:
DHP wrote:
I'm not particularly against it as it doesn't affect me, I'm just not in favour of it either as I don't see the advantages. However, for the sake of those who would be affected positively by it, I say go for it if you're sure.

Well thank you very much - so kind! :?

Sorry, just read that back and it doesn't come across that great...

It sounded okay to me - you mean that you're not really bothered either way, so if there are people that it would benefit the you're fine with it, is that right? :)
Dorset Girl

Postby ouroboros » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:04 pm

I think the people that would benefit from it are those who use shared computers. Not a problem for me at home, but it is at work. One of the reasons I don't go online there anymore (though actually more in part to the fact that they're often too slow and it blocks me out of everything :evil: ).

Logging in stops someone coming across it in your history and reading everything I reckon. Something that did once occur to me when I used my Dad's comp. I think I deleted my history but not sure... (!)
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:21 pm

Stu - I was wondering if this has made difference to the number of people registering in the past few weeks? :)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Stu » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Thanks for the gentle reminder DG, analyzing the stats had slipped my mind recently. :)

I should be able to get some time to look at them over the weekend

Stu
----
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
Stu
Site Admin

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:28 pm

I think we've had around 40 new members and about 12000 posts since early Jan when this was implemented.

I'd say that's the same or slightly more than the average up until that point, but obviously I don't have the capability to break the stats down accurately like Stu has. :)
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Stu » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:52 pm

Ok, I've put together some stats about the numbers of newly registered and activated user accounts over the past year and so, to see whether the change of Off Topic visibility has affected things:

Jan 07 = 35
Feb 07 = 27
Mar 07 = 35
Apr 07 = 32
May 07 = 36
Jun 07 = 30
Jul 07 = 27
Aug 07 = 23
Sep 07 = 18
Oct 07 = 20
Nov 07 = 19
Dec 07 = 19
Jan 08 = 13
Feb 08 = 24

I'd say it was still to early to tell cos while Jan was the lowest number for quite a while, it was on a downward slope before that and things seem to have bounced back in Feb soI'll give it a few more months and see how things stand then

Stu
----
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
Stu
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Frasier Online Info and Support