Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Google Desktop

Announcements about changes to the site, plus support of all sections of the site, such as the forum and gallery, are located in this forum

Google Desktop

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:08 am

This problem is kind of relevant, as it's preventing me from accessing FO at times (which may not be a bad thing, depending on your point of view :lol:).

Do any of you techy people know if it's safe to uninstall Google Desktop, or is it an integral part of Windows Vista? I assume it came packaged with Vista anyway, as it was installed when we got the machine.

Even though Firefox and IE are both set to 'high' priority, Google Desktop seems to be using tons of resources and slowing them down, sometimes to the point where they crash completely. When I manually end the program, the internet browsers noticeably speed up. It's something I never use, so I'd like to get rid of it completely if possible.

Any suggestions? :)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Re: Google Desktop

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:20 am

Dorset Girl wrote:This problem is kind of relevant, as it's preventing me from accessing FO at times (which may not be a bad thing, depending on your point of view :lol:).

Do any of you techy people know if it's safe to uninstall Google Desktop, or is it an integral part of Windows Vista? I assume it came packaged with Vista anyway, as it was installed when we got the machine.

Even though Firefox and IE are both set to 'high' priority, Google Desktop seems to be using tons of resources and slowing them down, sometimes to the point where they crash completely. When I manually end the program, the internet browsers noticeably speed up. It's something I never use, so I'd like to get rid of it completely if possible.

Any suggestions? :)

I didn't know Google desktop came bundled on Vista, as Microsoft do their own search indexer anyway.

There's probably an option to simply disable its use, rather than completely uninstalling it?

I couldn't see why there should be a problem removing any third-party component from the Operating System, but i've used Vista very little, so haven't taken a close enough look.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Re: Google Desktop

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:25 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I didn't know Google desktop came bundled on Vista, as Microsoft do their own search indexer anyway.

Not sure, I just know that when I used the PC for the first time and went through all the various set-up processes, it popped up alongside the Vista options.

There's probably an option to simply disable its use, rather than completely uninstalling it?

Most likely, but it's very well hidden! I'll do some investigating. It's driving me nuts, the PC sits there chuntering away to itself and I have no idea what it's doing! I assume it is third party software then, I'll check and if it is - it's going! :x There have been quite a few security issues with it anyway, apparently.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:33 am

Well - it's gone, and when I uninstalled it a web page popped up asking me to select why I had done so. There were about eight options, one of which was 'it slowed my system down'. Judging by that and the comments on a few tech forums, I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

Ta for your help MC. :)
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:41 am

Dorset Girl wrote:Well - it's gone, and when I uninstalled it a web page popped up asking me to select why I had done so. There were about eight options, one of which was 'it slowed my system down'. Judging by that and the comments on a few tech forums, I'm not the only one who's had this problem.

Ta for your help MC. :)

No problemo. Better off without it. Probably sending Google all sorts of info from your systme anyway :)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Return to Frasier Online Info and Support