Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Username Changes

Announcements about changes to the site, plus support of all sections of the site, such as the forum and gallery, are located in this forum

Username Changes

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:52 pm

All

You may have noticed a couple of members have recently had their usernames changed. This was done for very specific reasons and is not usually the policy of the Admin team, unless special circumstances exist.

From our experience of other forums, the changing of a username can lead to much confusion, especially when a long posting history exists. It is for this reason that we are reluctant to make any profile changes unless they are deemed absolutely necessary.

Many thanks,

Admin Team
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:04 am

I have a sort-of related question.

The number of registered users on the front page seems to increase and decrease intermittently, yet the 'newest registered user' stays the same throughout a lot of this. Is this to do with Stu/anyone blocking spam or duplicate accounts? Or am I simply going crazy?
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:39 pm

Yes, when I saw "Rodge", that was quite surprising.

Well, I won't be asking any of you to change my username. I love it! Bee Gees Fan...it's a glorious name.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
User avatar
Bee Gees Fan
 
Posts: 11385
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Paul B » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:40 pm

I don't even think of the band when I read your name, it's just... you. :)

I wish I could have the name Paul. That damn never-posting thief! :cry:
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Postby welshben23 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:40 pm

I don't think I'll change mine either. Its really unoriginal and boring. But I can't think of a new one. :D
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby welshben23 » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:41 pm

Paul B wrote:I don't even think of the band when I read your name, it's just... you. :)

I wish I could have the name Paul. That damn never-posting thief! :cry:


But Paul B makes you unique. :)
User avatar
welshben23
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Location: Wales

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:43 pm

Paul B wrote:I don't even think of the band when I read your name, it's just... you. :)


Oh, think of them! Think of them a lot! :D
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
User avatar
Bee Gees Fan
 
Posts: 11385
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Paul B wrote:I wish I could have the name Paul. That damn never-posting thief! :cry:


You mean the original Paul?

Paul B is nice...the letters PB are nice together, I think. As are my initials, MG, which I'm proud to share with Maurice.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
User avatar
Bee Gees Fan
 
Posts: 11385
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Stu » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:12 pm

Wezzo wrote:I have a sort-of related question.

The number of registered users on the front page seems to increase and decrease intermittently, yet the 'newest registered user' stays the same throughout a lot of this. Is this to do with Stu/anyone blocking spam or duplicate accounts? Or am I simply going crazy?



Yes, the number of registered users is just that - it's not the number of activated registered accounts. However, the "newest user" is only the latest activated user after I've looked at their profile and decided whether to allow the account to be activated or not - the spam/bot accounts get deleted at this point, so the count will definitely will definitely bounce around a lot as I tend to get about 20-30 spam accounts a day to delete.


Stu
-----
Frasier Online Webmaster

Frasier: I suppose the situation you're in is that you'd like to stay with Maris but you'd like an affair with Daphne
Niles: Yes. Can I do that?
Frasier: No, you can't!
User avatar
Stu
Site Admin
 
Posts: 726
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 1:00 am
Location: London

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm glad people can't change their usernames on here - it's really annoying when people change them every five minutes on a forum board. How the hell am i supposed to remember who it is :lol:

Just change your pic and sig to your hearts content.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:57 pm

Some people change their usernames quite a lot on Sitcoms Online, so it can sometimes be hard to tell who they are, but you usually find out, especially if they keep their avatar and signature the same. They also sometimes put their former username in their signature, so everyone knows.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
User avatar
Bee Gees Fan
 
Posts: 11385
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:49 pm

Part of me wishes I'd chosen a better, more sensible username when I registered. I was just so eager to get posting on the board, that I just went with the first random thing that popped in my head... not expecting to still be here 2 and a half years later obviously!
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:53 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Part of me wishes I'd chosen a better, more sensible username when I registered. I was just so eager to get posting on the board, that I just went with the first random thing that popped in my head... not expecting to still be here 2 and a half years later obviously!


That's kind of how I was. I wanted to come up with some sort of fun Frasier related name but I couldn't think if one so I just used one of my names I use on different boards.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:55 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:Part of me wishes I'd chosen a better, more sensible username when I registered. I was just so eager to get posting on the board, that I just went with the first random thing that popped in my head... not expecting to still be here 2 and a half years later obviously!


Your name is great though. instantly recognisable, isn't it. Sometimes better when you don't sit and think about it when joining a place..
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:57 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:Some people change their usernames quite a lot on Sitcoms Online, so it can sometimes be hard to tell who they are, but you usually find out, especially if they keep their avatar and signature the same. They also sometimes put their former username in their signature, so everyone knows.


Yeah. Some people on other boards, change everything constantly though - i can't be bothered to keep up with that :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Cake for Brains » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:59 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:Part of me wishes I'd chosen a better, more sensible username when I registered. I was just so eager to get posting on the board, that I just went with the first random thing that popped in my head... not expecting to still be here 2 and a half years later obviously!


Your name is great though. instantly recognisable, isn't it. Sometimes better when you don't sit and think about it when joining a place..


I suppose, and I quite like 'Cakey' - your name's great too, by the way.

In hindsight, I wished I'd called myself 'The Doctor'!
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Postby Nervosa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:00 pm

I'd have picked something a bit more masculine! My name makes me sound like a flower.. :roll:
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
User avatar
Nervosa
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 am

Postby Nervosa » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:25 pm

Nervosa wrote:I'd have picked something a bit more masculine! My name makes me sound like a flower.. :roll:


That wasn't to sound homophobic by the way, Nervosa has something to do with flowers as a Google image search shows :lol:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ner ... =N&ndsp=20
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
User avatar
Nervosa
 
Posts: 3291
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:33 am

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:26 pm

Nervosa wrote:
Nervosa wrote:I'd have picked something a bit more masculine! My name makes me sound like a flower.. :roll:


That wasn't to sound homophobic by the way, Nervosa has something to do with flowers as a Google image search shows :lol:

http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=ner ... =N&ndsp=20


:lol: There there, petal - no need to explain
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:01 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I suppose, and I quite like 'Cakey' - your name's great too, by the way.


Potato Cake - that's another name for you.
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
User avatar
Bee Gees Fan
 
Posts: 11385
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:18 pm

Stuart Lee wrote:
Wezzo wrote:I have a sort-of related question.

The number of registered users on the front page seems to increase and decrease intermittently, yet the 'newest registered user' stays the same throughout a lot of this. Is this to do with Stu/anyone blocking spam or duplicate accounts? Or am I simply going crazy?



Yes, the number of registered users is just that - it's not the number of activated registered accounts. However, the "newest user" is only the latest activated user after I've looked at their profile and decided whether to allow the account to be activated or not - the spam/bot accounts get deleted at this point, so the count will definitely will definitely bounce around a lot as I tend to get about 20-30 spam accounts a day to delete.


Stu
-----


Right then, thanks for clearing that up. :)
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:33 am

Wezzo wrote:
Stuart Lee wrote:
Wezzo wrote:I have a sort-of related question.

The number of registered users on the front page seems to increase and decrease intermittently, yet the 'newest registered user' stays the same throughout a lot of this. Is this to do with Stu/anyone blocking spam or duplicate accounts? Or am I simply going crazy?



Yes, the number of registered users is just that - it's not the number of activated registered accounts. However, the "newest user" is only the latest activated user after I've looked at their profile and decided whether to allow the account to be activated or not - the spam/bot accounts get deleted at this point, so the count will definitely will definitely bounce around a lot as I tend to get about 20-30 spam accounts a day to delete.


Stu
-----


Right then, thanks for clearing that up. :)


Also, if you're interested, most of the 'guests' you see viewing the forum at the bottom of the index page are spambots. I was quite disappointed to find that out recently! (Stu's just introduced a new Mod tool which allows us to view the IPs of guests viewing the site)

I always assumed there were 9/10 people 'lurking' away reading the forum posts without daring to sign up but in fact most of these are spambots trying to post adverts without registering first, so they go round and round each forum trying to find a way in (much like a fly bashing it's head against a window!). In reality there are maybe only 2 or 3 genuine guests from the 9/10 you see in the 'Who's Online' window.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Wezzo » Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:55 am

Oh right - that is something of a disappointing surprise, I suppose, but on the other hand you could say that it shows most actual visitors are intrigued enough to sign up..
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:17 am

Wezzo wrote:Oh right - that is something of a disappointing surprise, I suppose, but on the other hand you could say that it shows most actual visitors are intrigued enough to sign up..


Have you noticed out new 'most users online' figure Wezzo?

Just to give you an idea, the previous record was 80 users online... :shock:

Of course, plenty of those will be spambots, but not all of them.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:20 am

Beer Necessity wrote:Have you noticed out new 'most users online' figure Wezzo?

Just to give you an idea, the previous record was 80 users online... :shock:


I noticed that too, what was so special about Tuesday Jun 05, 2007??!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Next

Return to Frasier Online Info and Support

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.