Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Saddest movies of all time

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Saddest movies of all time

Postby tgirl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:53 am

Over the last 2 nights I have watched some of Valerie Bertinelli's lifetime movies (Valerie is Jane Leeves' Hot in Cleveland co-star and plays Melanie ) and have often found myself in tears, they are brilliant movies largely because Bertinelli gives her heart and soul into her performances. That got me wondering what are the saddest movies of all time.

My list would be:

- In a Child's name staring Valerie Bertinelli

- Tess of the D'Urbervilles staring Justine Wadell (Though I'm sure just about any adaptation would be a tearjerker because of the novels depressive nature anyway).

- Bambi, Dumbo and most animated Disney movies (I tend to stay away from these now because I become an absolute wreck.)

These are the ones that come to mind immediately, though there are many many more.

Anyway what are the saddest movies you've seen and in the words of Martin Crane..'I don't just mean a single manly tear, I mean proper blubbering girl style' ? :binky:
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
User avatar
tgirl
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Wezzo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:02 am

All of these make me cry every time..

Up
Hachi: A Dog's Tale
Red Dog
Toy Story 3
Grave of the Fireflies
The Iron Giant
Bambi

Cartoons and dogs make me weep, it seems!
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 am

What's UP? (no pun intended)
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Wezzo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 am

Patrick wrote:What's UP? (no pun intended)


Haha. 2009 Pixar film.
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:53 am

Wezzo wrote:
Patrick wrote:What's UP? (no pun intended)


Haha. 2009 Pixar film.

That movie is sad? It certainly doesn't look it from the ad.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Wezzo » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:57 am

Patrick wrote:
Wezzo wrote:
Patrick wrote:What's UP? (no pun intended)


Haha. 2009 Pixar film.

That movie is sad? It certainly doesn't look it from the ad.


Yeah, the first fifteen minutes are heartbreaking.
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:56 pm

The first time I saw "Up" I looked over at my friend and said "I cannot believe I am sitting here bawling my eyes out at a Disney movie!" The first part of that movie is so sad but it tells an amazing story.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:01 pm

Up
Kramer vs. Kramer
Toy Story 3 (still doesn't get to me as much as Up though)
Turner and Hooch
The Power of One

I'm sure I could think of plenty more but I probably should get ready for work instead.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby tgirl » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:27 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Up
Kramer vs. Kramer
Toy Story 3 (still doesn't get to me as much as Up though)
Turner and Hooch
The Power of One

I'm sure I could think of plenty more but I probably should get ready for work instead.




I understand there are sad parts in Kramer Vs Kramer like when she walks out on him, though I've never personally found it to be a full on tearjerker, not even a few trickling tears. I'd be intrigued if someone could expand on this and convince me otherwise...
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
User avatar
tgirl
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:20 pm
Location: London, England

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:33 pm

To me, that kid just messes me up! It just breaks my heart.

One I was trying to think of this morning but couldn't remember though is The Champ. OMG! I cried my eyes out at the end of that movie.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Cake for Brains » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:42 pm

Up and Toy Story 3 immediately popped into my head too. The final few minutes of the latter just kills me every time.

I'd also nominate The Squid and the Whale. The whole film, particularly the ending, gets me rather emotional. Probably because I can personally relate to so much of it.

Plenty of other films have made me teary eyed though. Off the top of my head - About Schmidft, Beautiful Thing, Beauty and the Beast, Brave, Brokeback Mountain, Edward Scissorhands, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Million Dollar Baby.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:56 pm

Definitely Edward Scissorhands.

I cry at the drop of a hat during movies so it's hard for me to guage how others might react to something.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:33 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Definitely Edward Scissorhands.

I cry at the drop of a hat during movies so it's hard for me to guage how others might react to something.

That will always remind me of Edward Scissorpaws who caused Frasier to have his floor redone. :wink:

(I didn't see the movie though, sorry)
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:01 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Definitely Edward Scissorhands.


:twisted: The music in that movie is something else.

I'm very curious to see Up now.

Forrest Gump has got the odd weepy moment.

The ending of Man On The Moon.

I think the last time I shed a tear at a movie was Planes Trains And Automobiles, even though i'd seen it before and knew what the kicker was.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
User avatar
Forever Jung
 
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Somewhere with scrambled egg all over my face

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Patrick » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:08 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Definitely Edward Scissorhands.


:twisted: The music in that movie is something else.

I'm very curious to see Up now.

Forrest Gump has got the odd weepy moment.

The ending of Man On The Moon.

I think the last time I shed a tear at a movie was Planes Trains And Automobiles, even though i'd seen it before and knew what the kicker was.

Try as I may I can't remember the last time I saw a sad movie, I mean the tearjerker kind. I've seen sad moments in realistic movies but that's as far as it goes. I guess it's just not my thing.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
User avatar
Patrick
 
Posts: 1531
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:43 am
Location: France

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Patrick wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Definitely Edward Scissorhands.

I cry at the drop of a hat during movies so it's hard for me to guage how others might react to something.

That will always remind me of Edward Scissorpaws who caused Frasier to have his floor redone. :wink:

(I didn't see the movie though, sorry)


:lol:

I'm not a big Johnny Depp fan but Edward Scissorhands is an excellent movie. As is What's Eating Gilbert Grape (also a Johnny Depp movie). Gilbert Grape in fact is probably the best movie Leonardo DeCaprio has ever done. He is absolutley amazing in it. If you think you know Leo's acting abilities from recent movies, trust me, you don't.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:27 pm

Patrick wrote:Try as I may I can't remember the last time I saw a sad movie, I mean the tearjerker kind. I've seen sad moments in realistic movies but that's as far as it goes. I guess it's just not my thing.


:twisted: To be fair, I don't think i've ever watched a real teartearker in the sense that it's been sad from start to finish. I don't think i'd enjoy that at all. To be honest, I think it would bore the living crap out of me. Not to mention be depressing.

A sad moment or two in a good movie is quite enough for me 8-)
If you look at the movies i've mentioned above, they are all comedies which have a moment of tragedy in them.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
User avatar
Forever Jung
 
Posts: 2214
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:19 pm
Location: Somewhere with scrambled egg all over my face

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby barnaclelapse » Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:54 am

The last really sad movie I saw was "Detachment."

JESUS.
User avatar
barnaclelapse
 
Posts: 4500
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:37 am
Location: Waverly, VA.

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby PistolPoet » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Requiem for a Dream

It's completely messed up, depressing as hell and leaves you in such a state of emotional emptiness that you want to run to your mummy and hug her as hard as you can.

Ice Age

Not the saddest movie all in all, but the part where they give back the baby makes me cry every time.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Haley Joel Osment is one of the best child actors I've ever seen, and he made me cry during most of that film. He and that damn sentient teddy bear, how can you not cry at the sight of a sad teddy bear?
"Whenever I'm wrong, the world makes a little less sense."
User avatar
PistolPoet
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:22 pm
Location: Serbia

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby DAMN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:08 am

Wezzo wrote:All of these make me cry every time..

Up
Hachi: A Dog's Tale
Red Dog
Toy Story 3
Grave of the Fireflies
The Iron Giant
Bambi

Cartoons and dogs make me weep, it seems!

Nothing as sad as Bambi,Im dead serious.The part when his mother dies + the next morning are so damn sad and a little bit creepy too.It just makes me wanna cry when in the next morning all the birds and stuff are singing...for others its just another day...but not for Bambi :( :( :( :( :(
DAMN
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby DAMN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:10 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:The first time I saw "Up" I looked over at my friend and said "I cannot believe I am sitting here bawling my eyes out at a Disney movie!" The first part of that movie is so sad but it tells an amazing story.

You must have not seen Bambi :roll:
DAMN
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby DAMN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:16 am

Also the ending of Monster's Inc where Sully has to destroy Boo's door(meaning he'll never see her again...though he does after some years for one last time) is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad :(
DAMN
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:50 am

DAMN wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:The first time I saw "Up" I looked over at my friend and said "I cannot believe I am sitting here bawling my eyes out at a Disney movie!" The first part of that movie is so sad but it tells an amazing story.

You must have not seen Bambi :roll:


Bambi doesn't do that to me like Up does. Bambi is sad but not like Up.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:31 pm

PistolPoet wrote:Requiem for a Dream

It's completely messed up, depressing as hell and leaves you in such a state of emotional emptiness that you want to run to your mummy and hug her as hard as you can.

Ice Age

Not the saddest movie all in all, but the part where they give back the baby makes me cry every time.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

Haley Joel Osment is one of the best child actors I've ever seen, and he made me cry during most of that film. He and that damn sentient teddy bear, how can you not cry at the sight of a sad teddy bear?


Good call with Requiem for a Dream there. Once seen, never forgotten. I have to admit, I kinda wish I'd never seen it. Saying it leaves you in a state of emotional emptiness is a brilliant way to describe it, because that's exactly how it left me feeling too.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
User avatar
Cake for Brains
 
Posts: 16796
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:00 am
Location: UK

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby DAMN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:14 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
DAMN wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:The first time I saw "Up" I looked over at my friend and said "I cannot believe I am sitting here bawling my eyes out at a Disney movie!" The first part of that movie is so sad but it tells an amazing story.

You must have not seen Bambi :roll:


Bambi doesn't do that to me like Up does.Bambi is sad but not like Up.

I dunno tbh.Bambi loses his mother in his Childhood...that's sadder IMO
Also the next scene right after that(The Morning Scene) is so sad and twisted and creepy...nothing got me more then that
From what I read from Up's Description he loses his Girlfriend when he's grown up...but atleast he can deal with it since he's an adult
While Bambi is just an infant...seeing a child that sad...is just..... :( .
Also this is perhaps nowhere near as Sad as the 2 above but I've always thought the scene where Alice(from Alice in Wonderland) gets lost in the woods in Wonderland and starts crying is really sad and makes me feel sorry for her :( ...possibly more just me though cuz I can relate to Alice since when I was 8 years old I got lost in the sea and they didn't find me for the next 4 hours...and I still remember just how scared I was :(
DAMN
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:40 pm

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron

© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.