Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Saddest movies of all time

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Saddest movies of all time

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:55 pm

She's not his girlfriend, she's his wife and trust me, it's unbelievably sad. Heartbreaking.

I'm not saying Bambi isn't sad. It is and it's scary if you're watching it as a kid but Up got to me much more.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby DAMN » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:59 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:She's not his girlfriend, she's his wife and trust me, it's unbelievably sad. Heartbreaking.

I'm not saying Bambi isn't sad. It is and it's scary if you're watching it as a kid but Up got to me much more.

I guess to me children's stuff are usually much more sadder.Cuz Kids are innocent.If you get what I mean.They don't know how to handle the situation cuz they're young.If you see something bad happen to a child its just much sadder cuz that will affect his entire life.
And atleast he did spent all of his life with her...had lots of enjoyable,fun moments(this is from what I saw on a video tribute on Youtube :D) even though they didn't have the best financial situation.There's people who would actually love a life like that even though many have better lives.
Bambi on the other hand...had nobody after his Mom died..he had to live alone for the rest of his life...especially in the books...its even more tragic.It makes us realize that no matter how bad our lives can be...maybe they're not that bad.
DAMN

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:01 pm

You need to watch it. Even if you don't find it incredibly heartbreaking (I don't know how that's even possible though) it is a great movie. You may not find it as sad as Bambi but it is a great movie.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:You need to watch it. Even if you don't find it incredibly heartbreaking (I don't know how that's even possible though) it is a great movie. You may not find it as sad as Bambi but it is a great movie.

Seconded. It's an amazing film - possibly Pixar's best.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby DAMN » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:39 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:You need to watch it. Even if you don't find it incredibly heartbreaking (I don't know how that's even possible though) it is a great movie. You may not find it as sad as Bambi but it is a great movie.

I havent been keeping up with Pixar since Monsters Inc I think :).I have no doubt that it's a good movie but I just don't find many things sad,I find different things sad from other people if that makes sense.And I never ever cried at a movie or a tv series...cuz I think it's embarrassing :D and not just cuz of that but I just don't usually cry all that much...not even when someone dies in Real Life :| I dunno why :| I feel sad...but I can't remember the last time I actually cried cuz of Sadness...though it can lead me to depression sometimes :/
The way I feel about that video is...if you watch it with an open mind you can see that they had good times...it's not Heart-Breaking...I would rather say it's Heart-Warming how he reminisces her...and I can relate to this to some extent.It's also a bit sad cuz it shows that all good times come to an end and that you can't do anything about it so you'll have to enjoy life as much as you can,while you CAN.I mean look at it this way...when your past the mourning,you realize that this is how it is and you'll be thankful that you had what you had and the guy from UP enjoyed alot of years with his wife..while some are less fortunate and their Girlfriend dies in 1 year.I know this is gonna sound cliche...but while she's not there physically he'll always have her in her heart :)
Those are my thoughts on the video tribute :)
DAMN

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Interesting that you can form such a strong opinion on a movie you've never seen. But if the death of a spouse, the only woman this man has ever loved, is heartwarming to you than so be it.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Forever Jung » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:00 pm

DAMN wrote:Sully has to destroy Boo's door(meaning he'll never see her again...) (

:twisted: It is both a relief and an embarrasment that I can read this and find it funny for immature reasons :lol: :oops:
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby DAMN » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:44 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Interesting that you can form such a strong opinion on a movie you've never seen. But if the death of a spouse, the only woman this man has ever loved, is heartwarming to you than so be it.

Not the death...the death is Sad.Im talking The whole scene/tribute where it shows all the good time he's reminiscing :)
DAMN

Postby DAMN » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:48 am

Forever Jung wrote: :twisted: It is both a relief and an embarrasment that I can read this and find it funny for immature reasons :lol: :oops:

I dunno just found it a bit touching...moreso when I was a kid.It's the "It's hard to let go" kinda sadness.
Also Sully's job for most of his life was scaring kids...but when he met Boo things changed :D
At first he saw her just as a nuisance and he was worried he'd get in trouble but then he got attached to her...I always like seeing those kind of thing...so cute haha :D
It was like he was her Guardian and loved her as if she was his own Daughter :)
DAMN

Postby DAMN » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:56 am

Anyways I think the saddest things for me are ones I can relate to.
Also IMO Often the Saddest Moments are Really Subtle and most people don't actually notice them
DAMN

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:18 am

DAMN wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Interesting that you can form such a strong opinion on a movie you've never seen. But if the death of a spouse, the only woman this man has ever loved, is heartwarming to you than so be it.

Not the death...the death is Sad.Im talking The whole scene/tribute where it shows all the good time he's reminiscing :)

Sigh...once again, you cannot judge that scene on a clip. That scene cannot be taken out of context. If I judged a movie on a scene without putting it in context I could sit here and tell you that I saw the scene of Bambi on the ice and making friends and thought he was the happiest animal on the planet. He was doing just fine without his mom. After all, he had friends and they were fun.
CatNamedRudy

Postby DAMN » Mon Dec 24, 2012 5:49 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
DAMN wrote:

Sigh...once again, you cannot judge that scene on a clip. That scene cannot be taken out of context. If I judged a movie on a scene without putting it in context I could sit here and tell you that I saw the scene of Bambi on the ice and making friends and thought he was the happiest animal on the planet. He was doing just fine without his mom. After all, he had friends and they were fun.

I just think this sort of thing has been done before in many many other movies.
And also your wrong about Bambi it's not just sad that his mom died...its also sad that hunters can kill him any time and his little friends cant protect him...he instead has to protect them.And the Ice Scene was when his mom was alive.When his mom died...he was suddenly alone with nobody to protect him...and he was young too so it was hard for him to deal with life.While the guy from Up was already an old man and was experienced.His wife dying is sad but eventually he'll get over it and he'll remember and appreciate the good times....also he realizes he's going to join her soon...
But like I said though I get touched mostly by things I can relate to...
DAMN

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:21 pm

You are completely misunderstanding what I said about Bambi. I give up.
CatNamedRudy

Postby DAMN » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:07 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:You are completely misunderstanding what I said about Bambi. I give up.

You completely misunderstood My Point.My Point was that the Old Man's Happiness Last Much much longer then Bambi's
Bambi's lasted a few years before he started to learn how cruel the world is and lost his mom.
Anyways....does anybody really like watching sad movies here that much? Im not too much of a fan...it can lead me to depression most of the time.
DAMN

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:30 pm

Wezzo wrote:Grave of the Fireflies

That is a downer of a film.

Can't think of anything that particularly gets to me when it comes to films. I watched PS I Love You and My Sister's Keeper with the missus not too long ago and they're a couple that stand out as aiming at people's heartstrings.

I remember being sad at the end of Star Trek II: Wrath Of Khan when i first saw it but then i was only a young'un.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Patrick » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:06 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Grave of the Fireflies

That is a downer of a film.

Can't think of anything that particularly gets to me when it comes to films. I watched PS I Love You and My Sister's Keeper with the missus not too long ago and they're a couple that stand out as aiming at people's heartstrings.

I remember being sad at the end of Star Trek II: Wrath Of Khan when i first saw it but then i was only a young'un.

Yeah, Kirk's eulogy gets to you, doesn't it? We didn't have star-trek in France back when I was a kid and by the time we got the first episodes (in the 80's) I was already too old to watch Sci-fi badly dubbed in French, especially in French Canadian ( At first they thought they could pawn off their French-Canadian episodes on us, that didn't last long) You see to us French from France, French Canadian sounds so strange that even the sad parts of a movie make us smile (It's all those crazy ass expressions, Like Australian sounds to Americans or people from England, I guess) . So I watched Star trek and the movies in English much later and almost all at once when a friend of mine lent them to me, so when I got to Kirk's heartfelt eulogy, it was indeed kind of moving. Of course I knew that he'd come back later, even though I didn't yet know how.
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:39 pm

Patrick wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I remember being sad at the end of Star Trek II: Wrath Of Khan when i first saw it but then i was only a young'un.

Yeah, Kirk's eulogy gets to you, doesn't it? We didn't have star-trek in France back when I was a kid and by the time we got the first episodes (in the 80's) I was already too old to watch Sci-fi badly dubbed in French, especially in French Canadian ( At first they thought they could pawn off their French-Canadian episodes on us, that didn't last long) You see to us French from France, French Canadian sounds so strange that even the sad parts of a movie make us smile (It's all those crazy ass expressions, Like Australian sounds to Americans or people from England, I guess) . So I watched Star trek and the movies in English much later and almost all at once when a friend of mine lent them to me, so when I got to Kirk's heartfelt eulogy, it was indeed kind of moving. Of course I knew that he'd come back later, even though I didn't yet know how.

:D it's a good one. Still one of my favourites outings from all the ST movies. I was young enough to see it at it's release - before knowing there'd ever be a follow up to resolve the ending, and too young to read or hear media spoilers. As far as i knew they'd killed him off and i didn't really have the capacity to think that he was too big a character to bump off and never see again. :D

I'm not sure if they even were planning a third film at that time as Star Trek The Motion Picture hadn't exactly set the pulses racing so it may have been a final throw of the dice to see what interest it piqued. I'm sure Nimoy only agreed to appear in a second ST film because he was told the death would be final! You can't trust anyone in movie world :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 pm

That's exactly why Nimoy agreed to be in Kahn. Search for Spock is my favorite of the original cast Trek movies though so I'm quite glad they were able to talk Nimoy into returning.

I still get choked up when I watch the death scene. "You have been and ever shall be my friend." :(
CatNamedRudy

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:32 am

:twisted: Chaplin.
He returns to England and Fred Karno tells him (on a train) that his sweetheard died.
A few minutes later the train pulls into the station and is met by a large crowd who've turned out to see him. He's got to absorb the news and then go and put his stage face on for the fans.
A real Pagliacci moment.

I remember feeling really quite effected for a while after seeing that scene.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Frasiertime » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:14 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: Chaplin.
He returns to England and Fred Karno tells him (on a train) that his sweetheard died.
A few minutes later the train pulls into the station and is met by a large crowd who've turned out to see him. He's got to absorb the news and then go and put his stage face on for the fans.
A real Pagliacci moment.

I remember feeling really quite effected for a while after seeing that scene.

That's how I felt after watching [i]Hachi: A Dog's Tale[i] with Richard Gere, a movie based on a true story. After the dog's owner dies, the dog waits for him at the train station for nine years. If you haven't seen this movie, it's definitely worth watching.
One of the best things about watching Frasier is the rewind button!
Frasiertime

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion