Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Over Rated Crap Thread (aka Room 101)

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Over Rated Crap Thread (aka Room 101)

Postby Forever Jung » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:49 pm

:twisted: Spin off from the convo on the TV thread.

What is hailed as the best thing ever, but is actually a bit "meh".

People, food, TV shows, electricals, games, bands, if it's over rated, let's hear you rant about it :D

As it's the last thing I mentioned on the TV thread, i'll start the list of over rated crap off with.................

1. The Darling Buds Of May

2. Catherine Zeta Jones in The Darling Buds Of May.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Re: The Over Rated Crap Thread (aka Room 101)

Postby Forever Jung » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:54 pm

:twisted: 3. Sliced Bread.

"It's the best thing since sliced bread".

Why are all the endevours of man (engineering, medicine, scienfitic, etc etc etc) measured against the day some dude thought of cutting up a loaf before selling it?

I'm not saying it wasn't a good idea, but I would have thought if there was a phrase "the best thing since.." it would be something monumental or world changing as the tagline..

Great idea - Yes.
Over rated - Yes.
Forever Jung

Postby !Amz! » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:02 pm

Good idea for a thread FJ! :D

Downtown Abbey - speaks for itself. A big pile of televisual shit.
The Only Way Is Essex - I know several people who rave about this - "it's the best thing on telly!" No. It really isn't. Just a bunch of dickheads who are so uneducated they have nothing better to do than paint themselves orange and stick sequins on their genitals while saying grammatically stupid phrases like "totes reem" and "well jel" - phrases that made my skin crawl just by typing them.

(May get some stick for this one but...)
Coldplay - sorry to those who are fans, but 'Paradise' is too overplayed for me and it's incredibly annoying. There's only 2 songs of theirs I can stand and that's "Fix You" and "The Scientist."

The Kardashians - literally, every magazine I read or even look at, they're in it. One said they're 'good role models' - and the whole reason Kim Kardashian is famous is because of a sex tape. If that's a 'good' role model I dread to even think what a bad one is in their minds. I like a trashy magazine now and then, but if they're on the cover I refuse to buy it out of sheer annoyance :lol:

Pizza - As someone who doesn't eat cheese, I don't see the appeal. Sorry!
!Amz!

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:34 pm

I agree with Coldplay!

TV

Celebrity Juice/Keither Lemon (everybody my age seems to love him)
Lost (100 hours of my life I'll never get back)
Friends (I don't hate it, but I've never understood why its remained such an enduring phenomenon)
A lot of the 70s/80s sitcoms from the BBC (Only Fools, Open All Hours, 'Allo 'Allo, Dad's Army, Keeping Up Appearances, etc).
Anything to do with The Royal Family - from weddings to jubilees to bad pop concerts.

FILM

Christopher Nolan (he's made some good films, maybe even a couple of excellent ones, but his Godlike status amongst film-lovers baffles me slightly)
Colin Firth/Hugh Grant (they may as well be the same person)

BOARD GAMES

Monopoly

Oh, and God... God is so overrated!
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Lost-I still haven't watched the rest of the last season.
The Wire-I just don't get the hype.
Any movie with Robert Pattinson and/or Kristin Stewart-need I expound?
Johnny Depp-He's become a caraciture of himself and he now plays the same guy in every movie.

I'm sure there are more. I'll come up with them later.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Eddie2012 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:20 am

Every single "Reality TV" show.
Eddie2012

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:00 am

Cake for Brains wrote:Celebrity Juice/Keither Lemon (everybody my age seems to love him)

My missus is with you on Keith Lemon, Cakey. She can't stand him one iota.

A few things that come to mind.
Tech: 3D Movies/3DTV, iTunes
Music: Chris Brown, Black Eyed Peas
TV: Downton Abbey, Everybody Loves Raymond
Movies: Titanic, Avatar
Books: The Da Vinci Code, The Bible
Comedians: Jeff Dunham, Dane Cook, Adam Sandler
Drinks: Champagne

and...

Lifestyle: Death - Listen to any religion and they promote the potential paradise of a far, far better 'existence' than any life you could possibly live on Earth (as long as you do what their religion says). What a load of shite.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:51 pm

Forever Jung wrote:1. The Darling Buds Of May

2. Catherine Zeta Jones in The Darling Buds Of May.

Yeah, this. Any ITV dramas with the words 'Darling', 'Happy', 'Home', 'Green' or 'Heart' in the title generally bring me out in a rash.

If you think CZJ is worshipped by the population in general, though, you should try living in Swansea for a while. There, she is some kind of deity.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:43 pm

For someone who used to be obsessed with where the heart is, I can't say it's crap but all other ITV shows tend to be shit, I can't think of one I actually watch.
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby kat » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:27 pm

X Factor, X Factor X Factor ad infintum
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:49 pm

:twisted: Piers Morgan.
Jordan.
Peter Andre.

Nobody I know seems to like these people, yet Morgan has got his own high profile chat show, and Jordan and Peter Andre (and Kerry Katona for that matter) have had their own fly on the wall programs following them around for series after series.

Who the hell watches this shite? :shock:
Forever Jung

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am

Moon-Crane wrote:[Lifestyle: Death - Listen to any religion and they promote the potential paradise of a far, far better 'existence' than any life you could possibly live on Earth (as long as you do what their religion says).

That's not true of Wicca, though. (But perhaps you were referring to the Abrahamic faiths?) Most Wiccans believe in an afterlife, but I think this Wikipedia quote is rather accurate:

"Despite some belief therein, Wicca does not place an emphasis on the afterlife, focusing instead on the current one; as the historian Ronald Hutton remarked, "the instinctual position of most [Wiccans], therefore, seems to be that if one makes the most of the present life, in all respects, then the next life is more or less certainly going to benefit from the process, and so one may as well concentrate on the present".

So I would say that a lot of Wiccans probably believe that living a "good" life will have benefits in the next one, but they don't make a big issue of it, and neither does the faith itself. I think a lot of the other modern pagan religions that have sprung up are similar. It's also worth noting that Wicca, and other pagan faiths, are practically free from any dogma, so there's no "You have to do what our religion says." That's one of the reasons why Wiccans, in general, don't proselytise. They think every path, whether it be a religion or non-religion, is equally valid to all the others. They don't see Wicca as being (generally) any better or worse than any other faith or philosophy or belief system. So they get on with theirs and let other people get about their own business.

The reason I think it's important to bring that up is because I think a lot of people tend to unfortunately tar Wiccca (and other modern pagan religions) with the same brush as the older, Abrahamic faiths. I think they just assume that they're all the same as the older faiths, but in fact, they are a lot more liberal and far less dogmatic. In fact, I would say there is practicaly no dogma at all in Wicca. It's very individualistic, people practice it their own way.

MC - if I end up being right and you and I find ourselves in an afterlife, please, please can I seek you out and be all smug and rub it in? :D
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 am

Bee Gees Fan wrote:MC - if I end up being right and you and I find ourselves in an afterlife, please, please can I seek you out and be all smug and rub it in? :D

:D Of course you can. I'll buy you a beer or a vimto or whatever you want.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:11 am

Moon-Crane wrote::D Of course you can. I'll buy you a beer or a vimto or whatever you want.

You are not ruining my afterlife with beer! Vimto, however, is fine. :)
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Patrick » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:18 pm

Bee Gees Fan wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote::D Of course you can. I'll buy you a beer or a vimto or whatever you want.

You are not ruining my afterlife with beer! Vimto, however, is fine. :)

You are more likely to drink spirits... :D You'd better get used to it already. :lol:
Frasier: You started us down that path of insanity. Golda Meir.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby tgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:58 pm

The Kardasians: I don't care who they are, I don't care that Kim is pregnant with Kanye's baby but news like that is rediculously unavoidable when you want to find out interesting entertainment news.

X Factor: Used to watch it a hundred years ago but surely it is overdone now and should be axed, people should put in the time and effort and train in music schools properly or get singing lessons if they want fame. Plus who needs to watch it when we have saddo's updating their FB statuses every 2 seconds.

Twilight and its crappy actors......BORING!

London
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Postby Seamus » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:14 pm

Tarantino/Cohen Brothers films : Do you have to be student to understand them or something?!.

The Royal Family : Not much point to these lot. Us peasants wave plastic flags and sing 'God save the Queen' and in return she lives in a huge mansion and does nothing. Le's face it once she has passed on everyone will want the Monarchy abolished because they all hate Charles and Camilla.

Max Clifford : The current allegations aside this guy is suppossed to be some PR guru. He is crap, he just grabs all the big names and fires them when they become unpopular- instead of making them look good, which is suppossed to be his job. Big fish in a small pond.

Titanic : Way too long and the lead characters annoying. I was rooting for Billy Zanes character - he is atop actor!. The special effects were good but the film was shite - I was half expecting a Hollywood ending but at least they stuck with the original history.

Oven Chips : You stick them in the oven for 30 mins and when they come out........they are not cooked!.
If less is more then think how much more more would be
Seamus

Postby tgirl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Seamus wrote:Oven Chips : You stick them in the oven for 30 mins and when they come out........they are not cooked!.

Haha that is so excruitiatingly true :roll:
FlEsH Is BuRnINg NaNanAnANanA
tgirl

Postby ouroboros » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Helen Mirren.

Seriously, what's all the fuss about.
"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth". Oscar Wilde
ouroboros

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:17 am

ouroboros wrote:Helen Mirren.

I liked her in Excalibur.
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:17 am

ouroboros wrote:Helen Mirren.

:twisted: Can't say i'm a fan of her's.

She said in an interview that she gave up cocaine because she found out Klaus Barbie made a lot of money from the cocaine trade, and she didn't want her money going to a nazi.

Really? :?

Who the hell did she think was getting her money?
The nice, repectable, honest, and kind Columbian drug barons who love children and kittens?

Whoever knew that drug barons are generaly sadistic bastards who control their criminal empire through murder fear and misery :roll:

Daft bint.
Forever Jung

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:22 am

Seamus wrote:
Titanic : Way too long and the lead characters annoying. I was rooting for Billy Zanes character - he is atop actor!. The special effects were good but the film was shite - I was half expecting a Hollywood ending but at least they stuck with the original history.

:twisted: The thing that really wicks me off about that film is how they stay on the back of the ship as it goes all the way down, and then they just step off into the water.
WTF?
If a ship is going down you need to get away from the bloody thing if you don't want the drag factor to pull you right down with it.
Dumb.

Seamus wrote:Oven Chips : You stick them in the oven for 30 mins and when they come out........they are not cooked!.

Obviously you've never experienced my wifes cooking :D

I'm in SO much trouble for that one :shock:
Forever Jung

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:30 pm

Titanic: Shut the hell up Celine Dion, the boat has sunk for god's sake!!! :lol:
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:58 pm

Patrick wrote:Titanic: Shut the hell up Celine Dion, the boat has sunk for god's sake!!! :lol:

:lol: I don't think Titanic is all that bad for what it is but that was funny!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:15 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Patrick wrote:Titanic: Shut the hell up Celine Dion, the boat has sunk for god's sake!!! :lol:

:lol: I don't think Titanic is all that bad for what it is but that was funny!

Actually, I stole that line from John Cleese, in 3rd Rock from the Sun. :D
Golda My-ass!
Patrick

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion