Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

2012 Olympics

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: 2012 Olympics

Postby woggle » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:54 pm

welshben23 wrote:Bloody Japanese!! :evil:

They challenged the bloody score in the gymnastics didn't they :evil: still bronze will do me first meadal for the boys in that foe 100 years thing the commentator was saying so im delighted with that :)
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:29 pm

Stu wrote:Had tickets to see mens weightlifting from Excel last night, and enjoyed it very much!

Excellent. We were watching that on the tv. Have to admit i was quite gripped by it.

No problems with transport, airport like security was quick and competition was really good. Handball and diving to look forward too this wednesday

Definitely enjoying watching from home too and flicking between the main coverage and the 24 extra channels on sky

Not airport like if it was quick to get through! :D

Enjoy the other events!
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:30 pm

woggle wrote:I didn't watch it but i gather tom daley missed out on a medal :(

Yep, fourth in the pairs. Still, he's got the singles to have a go at.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:32 pm

woggle wrote:

They challenged the bloody score in the gymnastics didn't they :evil: still bronze will do me first meadal for the boys in that foe 100 years thing the commentator was saying so im delighted with that :)

I thought it was a hell of a drop in points for the japanese when they announced the initial results. Looked fair enough for them to get the points back for that dismount. Pity for the Brits to drop a medal place but even the bronze is a monumental performance from the team.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:44 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:

I thought it was a hell of a drop in points for the japanese when they announced the initial results. Looked fair enough for them to get the points back for that dismount. Pity for the Brits to drop a medal place but even the bronze is a monumental performance from the team.

I don't have a clue about the way the points are scored lol I just saw the end when they were challenging the score. First medal for 100 years is a great achievement, but it's our home Olympics! Give us the Silver medal you swines! :D
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:50 pm

welshben23 wrote:I don't have a clue about the way the points are scored lol I just saw the end when they were challenging the score. First medal for 100 years is a great achievement, but it's our home Olympics! Give us the Silver medal you swines! :D

:D I know! I was shouting at the tv to just give them back 0.2 or 0.3 points so we'd keep the silver.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:50 pm

woggle wrote:The equestian team has done well in the eventing phase 2nd in the team and we have quite a few in the top ten for the individual , nail biting time for the showjumping tomorrow

If i was part of that equestrian team i'd be properly pissed off that bloody zara phillips is getting all the bloody coverage for their performance so far. She's not even the leading GB rider, never mind overall leader. You'd think she was doing it all on her own. Must be disheartening for the Brits that are above her in the standings.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:56 pm

Sports the US sucks in during this Olympics thus far: Men's Beach Volley Ball and Women's Whitewater Kayaking.

I don't know what the deal is because they are usually power houses in these sports. The men's beach team got beat in two straight games by the freakin Polish! The POLISH for heaven's sake! Since when can Poles play volley ball?

I watched the US women's water polo match against the Hungarians this afternoon. That is one hell of a grueling sport!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:47 am

Congrats on your Gymnastics medal Brits! Your boys certainly know how to perform under pressure. The US men on the other hand, not so much!
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:The equestian team has done well in the eventing phase 2nd in the team and we have quite a few in the top ten for the individual , nail biting time for the showjumping tomorrow

If i was part of that equestrian team i'd be properly pissed off that bloody zara phillips is getting all the bloody coverage for their performance so far. She's not even the leading GB rider, never mind overall leader. You'd think she was doing it all on her own. Must be disheartening for the Brits that are above her in the standings.

Its still all about her today dispite the fact Mary King and others did beTter which actually pisses me off quite a bit . Im sure she only made it to the team because Piggy French's horse was injured . Anyhoo chance for more medals as lying 3rd and 4th in the individual with the showjumping to come :)

SO SO PROUD! :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 94342.html
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:51 pm

woggle wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Its still all about her today dispite the fact Mary King and others did beTter which actually pisses me off quite a bit . Im sure she only made it to the team because Piggy French's horse was injured . Anyhoo chance for more medals as lying 3rd and 4th in the individual with the showjumping to come :)

SO SO PROUD! :D

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/olym ... 94342.html

It was originally Nicola Wilson that lost out to make a space for Zara Philips. The injury to French's horse allowed Wilson back in. She's been in far better form and was far better qualified than Philips to be in the team to start with - but i guess the royal name is the ultimate top trump.

Philips is getting no flack for all her potentially costly penalties, whereas people like Tom Daley, the male cyclists and some swimmers have been getting hammered for their performances.

Nice to get another medal anyway. Hope they can pick up others in the individuals.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:30 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Sports the US sucks in during this Olympics thus far: Men's Beach Volley Ball and Women's Whitewater Kayaking.

I don't know what the deal is because they are usually power houses in these sports. The men's beach team got beat in two straight games by the freakin Polish! The POLISH for heaven's sake! Since when can Poles play volley ball?

I watched the US women's water polo match against the Hungarians this afternoon. That is one hell of a grueling sport!

Apart from being disappointed with the start the Brits have made I have been quite disappointed with the US. Phelps particularly has been a huge anti-climax. He just lost the 200m breast stroke gold because he thought he was home and got pipped by the South African. I know he's an amazing olympian and wil probably break the record for all-time medal winners, he just seems to have lost his mojo.

I believe US football team is about to play North Korea. That will be interesting!
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:32 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:

Just seen an interview with the team on the BBC and to be fair to them, they gave a fair shout to all of the eventing team. Gary Lineker almost asked Zara Phillips a question about her mistakes having cost the team the gold, but stopped himself mid-sentence and said, "Oh no, I won't ask that." It was almost like he had the producer screaming in his ear!
Hans the German Butler

Postby kat » Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:54 pm

finally watching the opening ceremony and am impressed so far (though sligtly worried that Danny Boyle has taken his music cues from my iPod)
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:17 am

Hans the German Butler wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Sports the US sucks in during this Olympics thus far: Men's Beach Volley Ball and Women's Whitewater Kayaking.

Apart from being disappointed with the start the Brits have made I have been quite disappointed with the US. Phelps particularly has been a huge anti-climax. He just lost the 200m breast stroke gold because he thought he was home and got pipped by the South African. I know he's an amazing olympian and wil probably break the record for all-time medal winners, he just seems to have lost his mojo.

I believe US football team is about to play North Korea. That will be interesting!

The US women swimmers have been great. I think the men just all got too cocky and thought they were unbeatable. Lochte totally blew a huge lead in the relay and Phelps just sort of coasted to the finish in his best event (the 200 Fly) landing him a silver instead of another gold.
CatNamedRudy

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:38 pm

US men finally get the job done in the relay. It was nice to see Michael Phelps actually swim an entire leg of a race last night instead of quitting with two strokes to go.

Even though I already knew the results of the women's gymnastics, I watched it last night anyway. Our US announcers (mostly John Tesh) were annoying the hell out of me. Jordyn Wieber didn't make the cut for the All Around on Sunday. Yes, it was disappointing and she was sad but they were talking about her like she had experienced some great tragedy or something. At one point John Tesh said she was showing a new level of toughness? WHAT? Remember back in the day when Kerri Strug pulled off a gold medal winning vault on a broken ankle? THAT was toughness! Jordyn Wieber getting her shit together to help her team after being a crybaby on Sunday and not even congratulating her teammates who did qualifiy for the all around is not toughness. It's what she is supposed to do!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:38 pm

Smashing win for Wiggins in the Men's time trial, with Froome also taking 3rd. With the Women's pairs rowing gold and Men's eights bronze this morning, it's been a decent day.

Crazy night in the women's badminton last night. Pleased to see they were all disqualified today for not trying. Hope they don't get reinstated on appeal.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:55 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Smashing win for Wiggins in the Men's time trial, with Froome also taking 3rd. With the Women's pairs rowing gold and Men's eights bronze this morning, it's been a decent day.

Crazy night in the women's badminton last night. Pleased to see they were all disqualified today for not trying. Hope they don't get reinstated on appeal.

Great day for the host country indeed! [:]DRINK[/:]

Was it the South Koreans who got DQ'd in the badminton? I didn't see any of the matches but they must have been making it pretty obvious that they were trying to lose!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:22 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Was it the South Koreans who got DQ'd in the badminton? I didn't see any of the matches but they must have been making it pretty obvious that they were trying to lose!

It was two pairs from South Korea, a Chinese pair and an Indonesian pair. Korea and the Indonesia appealed, but Indonesia withdrew theirs and it looks like the Korean one has been rejected. Good.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:03 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:The US women swimmers have been great. I think the men just all got too cocky and thought they were unbeatable. Lochte totally blew a huge lead in the relay and Phelps just sort of coasted to the finish in his best event (the 200 Fly) landing him a silver instead of another gold.

I knew it was the butterfly but for some reason I typed breast stroke. A freudian slip probably, thinking about stroking breasts whilst typing. :)
Hans the German Butler

Postby Hans the German Butler » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Smashing win for Wiggins in the Men's time trial, with Froome also taking 3rd. With the Women's pairs rowing gold and Men's eights bronze this morning, it's been a decent day.

Jamieson's just added a silver in the pool. A good day indeed!
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:26 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:The US women swimmers have been great. I think the men just all got too cocky and thought they were unbeatable. Lochte totally blew a huge lead in the relay and Phelps just sort of coasted to the finish in his best event (the 200 Fly) landing him a silver instead of another gold.

I knew it was the butterfly but for some reason I typed breast stroke. A freudian slip probably, thinking about stroking breasts whilst typing. :)

:lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby kat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:26 pm

Brilliant result in the men's road race for Team GB and thankfully the end of all the "when will we get the first Gold?" stories thanks to the rowers, despite being sceptical for a while about the games, as they are happening am loving all the varied sport on TV
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby woggle » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 pm

kat wrote:Brilliant result in the men's road race for Team GB and thankfully the end of all the "when will we get the first Gold?" stories thanks to the rowers, despite being sceptical for a while about the games, as they are happening am loving all the varied sport on TV

Me to , currently watching the trap shooting .

I was just jumping up and down cheerng on Gemma whos in the judo final :D ya know i really do think all the suppoer GB are getting is pushing some of them to do their best :)
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:18 pm

woggle wrote:
kat wrote:Brilliant result in the men's road race for Team GB and thankfully the end of all the "when will we get the first Gold?" stories thanks to the rowers, despite being sceptical for a while about the games, as they are happening am loving all the varied sport on TV

Me to , currently watching the trap shooting .

I was just jumping up and down cheerng on Gemma whos in the judo final :D ya know i really do think all the suppoer GB are getting is pushing some of them to do their best :)

Doing alright again today. Some canoe gold and silver, a rowing silver, a judo silver and a shooting gold.

It was looking good for a gold/silver shootout for the women's team sprint in the track cycling, but the refs are discussing disqualifying them. No idea what's going on with that at the moment. GB men are looking strong in their sprint event, as well.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion