Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

"Alternative" Things To Do Before You Die

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: "Alternative" Things To Do Before You Die

Postby !Amz! » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:38 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
!Amz! wrote:To be fair I don't particularly think I'll make a good parent. I have no idea how to talk to kids for a start, among my various other issues.

That "puking" phobia of yours might be an issue when it comes to kids!

Definitely could be. Keren had reflux... very messy...

Agreed. I'd need to get that sorted before if kids ever were on the cards.

Although I met someone at uni with it who has two young kids and she said you don't really seem to mind when it's your own kids, you just feel better able to deal with it. Having said that I've met some others on a forum for people with that's unfortunately closed down now and they really struggle with it when their kids aren't well, one of them I've noticed from her updates she tends to get very anxious but by the looks of things she manages to put it aside for the sake of her little girl. I guess it depends on the individual. I'm sort of hoping that the morning sickness in pregnancy will be a reasonable amount of exposure in preparation for much messier experiences of it...
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:42 pm

!Amz! wrote:Agreed. I'd need to get that sorted before if kids ever were on the cards.

Although I met someone at uni with it who has two young kids and she said you don't really seem to mind when it's your own kids, you just feel better able to deal with it. Having said that I've met some others on a forum for people with that's unfortunately closed down now and they really struggle with it when their kids aren't well, one of them I've noticed from her updates she tends to get very anxious but by the looks of things she manages to put it aside for the sake of her little girl. I guess it depends on the individual. I'm sort of hoping that the morning sickness in pregnancy will be a reasonable amount of exposure in preparation for much messier experiences of it...

I'd agree that it's different when it's your own kid. Going through pregnancy prepares you for all sorts of things - after being examined so many times by doctors and midwives, for instance, you stop being even slightly embarrassed by it. Sick, food all over the place, potty training... you learn not to care after a while!

Hubby used to go into panic mode when Keren was sick. He didn't know what to do! It's just a matter of being calm and dealing with it, though.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
!Amz! wrote:Agreed. I'd need to get that sorted before if kids ever were on the cards.

I'd agree that it's different when it's your own kid. Going through pregnancy prepares you for all sorts of things - after being examined so many times by doctors and midwives, for instance, you stop being even slightly embarrassed by it. Sick, food all over the place, potty training... you learn not to care after a while!

Hubby used to go into panic mode when Keren was sick. He didn't know what to do! It's just a matter of being calm and dealing with it, though.

Think that's where BF will come in :lol: I find it amusing how he says he can't stand crying though, he's obviously not familiar with what babies and young children do.

My friend who had a baby a few months ago said the same about pregnancy, she said all your dignity goes out the window, especially during childbirth and there becomes a point where it's no big deal to you anymore.

If I'm honest, last month's Christmas party at work was pretty good exposure for me. I was drunk for the worst part, but the nausea that I had the morning after just brought me to the point where I didn't care anymore and I actually wanted to be ill just because I knew it'd help. A first for me, in a sense I was strangely proud of how well I coped :lol: I'm definitely considering doing some more exposure work in the future, this phobia's not exactly something I'd want to pass on to my kids. Especially not when it comes with minor boughts of OCD and panic whenever there's the smallest stomach bug going round.
!Amz!

Postby Maple » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:58 am

After reading below, I have determined never will I visit Ikea!

Dorset Girl wrote:IMHO Ikea is ovverated. You go all the way to Southampton and fight for a parking space, walk towards the building feeling tempted by the world record-sized poster Iadvertising ridiculously cheap meatballs in their restaurant. Then they make you walk around their pre-determined path, which seems to be about three miles long, to ensure that you look at every single item they have for sale, then when you eventually reach the restaurant, there's a queue of about 45 minutes long.

You finally get your 'famous Swedish meatballs', sit down to eat them, and then think - hey, they're just meatballs, probably with eyelids and testicles and all the other bits of animal that weren't good enough to go into pet food, and I could have bought two dozen for a couple of quid in Tesco just down the road. Then you walk through more furniture and assorted crap, buy a set of wooden spoons and nothing else.

Then you drive 60 miles home in the dark, breaking down on the A31 and having to climb down into a ditch to get away from the busy road whilst you wait for the AA. Plus you keep needing a wee the whole time because you're pregnant, and when you get home, you realise you've been out of the house for eleven hours and you haven't even got your bloody wooden spoons anyway, as you left them in the stupid tow truck.

You go to bed, feeling despondent and tired, visualising the over-chirpy AA man bustling around his kitchen making dinner using your wooden spoons, and you decide never to go to Ikea again as long as you both shall live.

Of course, it may not be that way for everyone, and perhaps you'll enjoy it. :D
Maple

Postby kat » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:45 pm

kat wrote:see Jenson win a race in person, 3 of my mates have, I really need to, hell even to see him on the podium would be good
get some more tattoos, hopefully getting my 77 & 58 forever ones after christmas, but have many more planned

got them done (not the forever bit) and got Mum and Dad ones on my wrists too

If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion