Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

DVD Vs Blu Ray

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

DVD Vs Blu Ray

Postby Forever Jung » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:52 pm

:twisted: OK, i've not got a Blu Ray player, and i'm pretty sceptical.
Are they really worth it?
I mean, I watch a movie on DVD and the quality is great, so what's Blu Ray got to offer that's so much better?

Can anyone sell a tight fisted git on the idea of Blu Ray? :D
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Re: DVD Vs Blu Ray

Postby kat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Forever Jung wrote::twisted: OK, i've not got a Blu Ray player, and i'm pretty sceptical.
Are they really worth it?
I mean, I watch a movie on DVD and the quality is great, so what's Blu Ray got to offer that's so much better?

Can anyone sell a tight fisted git on the idea of Blu Ray? :D

The picture quality is much better than even the best DVD there are some great special features, picture in picture commentaries
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:27 pm

As kat says, you can see a big difference in the picture clarity of a good HD transfer over a decent DVD transfer. It can sometimes look slight when you're moving forward from watching upscaled SD to some of the worse-to-average HD transfers - until you've watched HD for a while and then switch back to SD.

You also get the advantage of access to an uncompressed audio track.

Maybe nothing that's particularly going to bother a casual watcher of TV and/or movies, but if you're into your AV you'll see the improvement as starkly as the jump to DVD from videotape. The uncompressed audio might be appealing to someone so heavily involved in music as you are?

I've had HD tv for more than a year now and, for me, the difference is worth the extra for the amount of shit i watch on the regular available channels :lol: - especially on fast-moving things like sports and music gigs. You've mentioned that sports ain't your thing, so the improvement on that front's not going to impress you much, but as a music fan, it's worth going into a store to get a demonstration using music Blu-rays.

The only thing that bugs me at the moment is the relative lack of good music Blu-Ray releases, as that's my main thing to rewatch than buying films and tv shows, but it's obviously going to improve.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:22 pm

When you look at the capacity of the discs there's a good argument to show that blu-ray has significantly greater potential. There is 8GB on a dual layer dvd and 50GB on a blu-ray disc. This allows the picture quality that you see at the flicks, which was mostly shot on 35mm film, to be tranferred at a greater quality because the image is being compressed into the 16:9 ratio. Similarly with the sound, as MC pointed out, the extra disc capacity allows an uncompressed audio track broadcastable at up to DTS 7.1 (the general limit of home cinema systems).

I just got the Star Wars blu-ray set and it looks and sounds phenomenal. It almost makes the prequel trilogy worth watching. I only wish Lucas had written in a way to have Jar Jar Binks lined up against a wall and shot.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:35 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:I just got the Star Wars blu-ray set and it looks and sounds phenomenal. It almost makes the prequel trilogy worth watching. I only wish Lucas had written in a way to have Jar Jar Binks lined up against a wall and shot.

:twisted: LMAO :lol:
Now that is a special feature that would twist my arm to make the upgrade to Blu Ray :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:00 pm

I've got a Blu ray player, and something like twelve movies. I'm pretty happy with it, but it's not really essential.
barnaclelapse

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:I just got the Star Wars blu-ray set and it looks and sounds phenomenal. It almost makes the prequel trilogy worth watching. I only wish Lucas had written in a way to have Jar Jar Binks lined up against a wall and shot.

:lol: i decided i ain't forking out for that. I want to, but i just can't stand the consistent meddling which has carried on further into this new release. I'll put up with the DVD set where they begrudgingly released the untouched originals on an extras disc.

Just stop being pig-headed and remaster the original prints - and make even more money - George. Han shot first! :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:53 pm

Moon-Crane wrote::lol: i decided i ain't forking out for that. I want to, but i just can't stand the consistent meddling which has carried on further into this new release. I'll put up with the DVD set where they begrudgingly released the untouched originals on an extras disc.

Just stop being pig-headed and remaster the original prints - and make even more money - George. Han shot first! :lol:

The biggest meddling I've come across is in Eps. 4 and 6. Han and Greedo now shoot at the same time as each other :roll: and Obi Wan makes a strange sound now to frighten away the Tusken Raiders. Darth Vader now says "no" in his mind and then screams "no" before chucking the Emperor down the shaft for electrocuting Luke.

I was in a quandary as to whether or not to buy it because like most fans I would strangle Lucas if I was able to fit my hands around his bloated, womble neck. In the end though I wanted to see the improved picture and hear the improved sound and to be fair I am very impressed by the quality. If the original cuts are released on blu-ray I'll probably buy those too.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Forever Jung » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:42 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote: Darth Vader now says "no" in his mind and then screams "no" before chucking the Emperor down the shaft for electrocuting Luke.

:twisted: Darth Vader seems to have really embrassed the slo mo no. :shock:
Forever Jung

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:17 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:Darth Vader now says "no" in his mind and then screams "no" before chucking the Emperor down the shaft for electrocuting Luke.

That's the most disturbing sounding one. The 'silence' of that whole scene absolutely made the moment, in my eyes.

Hans the German Butler wrote:his bloated, womble neck

:lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Return to Off Topic Discussion