Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Random philosophical rubbish thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Random philosophical rubbish thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:35 pm

Life's weird, isn't it? Billions of people interacting with one another in endless, impossible to predict ways. Something happens to someone, then it affects others. In turn, their actions in response to it affect more people... and so on. The butterfly effect. Something can seem ridiculously important to one person, but not matter at all to someone else.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Re: Random philosophical rubbish thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:39 pm

Was just thinking about this the other day. How random things can change so much in a person's life. I tend to go back to when I met my best friend. It was our first day of high school and we had a class together. Somehow we learned that we both loved Steve Martin. (this was right after he did his "Let's Get Small" album). We clicked from that moment and when I think about it, had I not met her, my circle of friends would be so different now. It was through her that I met my friend Haden who turned me on to smoking cigars which in turn has allowed me to make some wonderful friends and have some great experiences.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:43 pm

That's cool, Cat. :) Things worked out good! Wouldn't it have been strange if you'd have known at the time how significant that moment would be in your life?

Sorry about this weird thread - but I did say it was a 'rubbish thread' in the title, hehe. Feeling odd today - even moreso than I usually do.

Heh, I sound like BGF sometimes, don't I? :scratch:
Last edited by Dorset Girl on Wed Jul 06, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:41 pm

I think about this kind of stuff alot. For example my mum's sort of ex, was my college lecturer... Had I not failed some of my exams and went for an easy course, they would not of met, he would not of broke my mum heart. But I also may not of got hooked on Frasier and found my way to here!

All my friends I have at the moment I probably would never of met if my Gran hadn't died and we hadn't moved to Portland either. Which is really spoony to think about.
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:48 pm

Completely irrelevant really, but IA - I saw a forecast earlier that said there was a force 8 gale blowing right on to Chesil! Bet Portland's a bit scary in that sort of weather? Would have absolutely loved to see / hear the waves hitting the beach, though.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:50 pm

One of my friends has just had something major happen in his life which could have all sorts of repercussions for him and lots of other people too. I've felt really weird today, wondering how it might affect me - that's what made me start this thread. Selfish I know, for me to worry when he's the one it's happening to - but it got me thinking about the strange webs of connections we build up, and how our lives can affect others. Somehow we usually muddle through though, don't we?
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:12 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Completely irrelevant really, but IA - I saw a forecast earlier that said there was a force 8 gale blowing right on to Chesil! Bet Portland's a bit scary in that sort of weather? Would have absolutely loved to see / hear the waves hitting the beach, though.

When I lived on Portland some of those gales were scary! lost quite a few roof tiles and once watched a caravan blow past the house, and even though we lived up top, we were right by the cliffs and even got some spray up the cliffs in bad storms!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:21 pm

Ouch, yes, I can well believe that! I bet it would be really scary to drive along the causeway and see spray coming over the top of Chesil too.
Dorset Girl

Postby Karin » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:51 am

Interesting subject. I think about this a lot, too.

Weird, how random things can affect your life or the direction it's going to take. For example, my life is about to change in a major way (well, at least my professional life), all because of a radio spot I accidently heard last year. Now I often think what would have happened had I not listened to the radio at that precise moment.
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:50 am

Karin wrote:Interesting subject. I think about this a lot, too.

Weird, how random things can affect your life or the direction it's going to take. For example, my life is about to change in a major way (well, at least my professional life), all because of a radio spot I accidently heard last year. Now I often think what would have happened had I not listened to the radio at that precise moment.

That sounds good, Karin!!
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:23 pm

I've watched two of the four episodes of 'Wonders of the Universe', and 3/5 of 'Wonders of the Solar System' documentaries. I've never had any strong views on whether or not there is other life in the universe, and they've made no real mention of it in the documentaries so far - nonetheless, I'm now completely convinced that there is life somewhere other than on Earth. The main reason I think this is because of the sheer number of stars that exist. I always knew there were gazillions of them, but it never really struck me how incredibly huge the number was until I saw these documentaries.

I now find it impossible to think that there are no other planets in the right stage of their cycle, where life has evolved. I think maybe it's kind of arrogant of the human race to think that they're the most intelligent beings in existence! Just as we can look back at people centuries ago, who thought that the Earth was the centre of the Solar System, and see how flawed their logic was - I wonder how long it will be before our descendants look back at us, living in ignorance of life elsewhere?

At the beginning of 'A Night with the Stars' the other day, Brian Cox said that by the end of the evening, many people will have changed the way they view the universe. Well, that's also true of his TV series' too, I'd say. :)
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:52 pm

I've always thought it was rather arrogant for humans beings to think they were all that there was too. Given the vast amount of space out there I find it impossible to believe anything other than there is intelligence other than ours.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:54 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I've always thought it was rather arrogant for humans beings to think they were all that there was too. Given the vast amount of space out there I find it impossible to believe anything other than there is intelligence other than ours.

Yes, I don't know why I haven't felt so sure of this before - it seems obvious, really. I'm not convinced Earth has had any contact with aliens, though. I haven't yet heard even a 1% convincing story of alien encounters.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:56 pm

I reckon in about 40 years, we'll discover Warp technology, and make a trial flight. Then an alien (probably a Vulcan) will detect our flight and come to Earth to make First Contact with us - probably with Roy Orbison's 'Ooby Dooby' playing in the background.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:57 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:I reckon in about 40 years, we'll discover Warp technology, and make a trial flight. Then an alien (probably a Vulcan) will detect our flight and come to Earth to make First Contact with us - probably with Roy Orbison's 'Ooby Dooby' playing in the background.

:lol: Sounds about right.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:59 pm

Then the human race, even though they're real latecomers to the interstellar space scene, will inexplicably become senior management for the United Federation of Planets in no time at all. Plus they'll be given all the most interesting missions and win every battle, no matter how good the weaponry of the enemy.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:34 am

I watched the final two 'Wonders of the Solar System' episodes last night, and the last one was about the possibility of life elsewhere in the Solar System. Now I'm even more convinced that we're not alone!

Cox visited some of the most extreme places on Earth, to show that life could survive in all sorts of conditions. They showed these weird, aptly named, creatures called 'snottites', who breathe sulphur, and micro organisms who live and breed in solid ice in Iceland.

Then they went on to show that there once used to be water on Mars - I knew that already, but didn't realise that there is an underground cave system where there could still be liquid water. They also talked about Jupiter's moon 'Uropa', where it is believed there is a liquid ocean of water about 200km deep. Fascinating stuff - at least, it is to me! :)
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:35 pm

They'll almost certainly find life within this solar system in the next few years. It'll be 'easy' to find lifeforms of some sort with our ever improving tech. It'll obviously be far more difficult to find life that's classed as intelligent out there somewhere in the beyond.

The sheer vastness of space is incomprehensible. Even thinking about the distance to the closest neighbours within our own galaxy is mindboggling enough, let alone the millions of other galaxies out there in the whole universe. I remember the first time they showed the famous Hubble Ultra-Deep Field space image. When they explained the figures of what size area of space they were capturing, and then you see the things they've captured, it was amazing.

We're a tiny insignificant dot in a vastness of nothingness and you'd expect that life has come and gone throughout the universe without anybody else ever knowing.

We probably have to hope that those alleged faster than light neutrino experiments can be repeated and confirmed. Until we can find a way past Einstein's Constant then we're highly limited indeed.

Space has always fascinated me, and as you get older you tragically realise you'll come and go without really knowing anything. :lol:
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:01 pm

No matter how basic the life forms they find, it's going to have a huge impact on the way we view life, I reckon! I'm longing to find out how the Creationists will explain it away.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:19 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:No matter how basic the life forms they find, it's going to have a huge impact on the way we view life, I reckon! I'm longing to find out how the Creationists will explain it away.

God put it there.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:41 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:No matter how basic the life forms they find, it's going to have a huge impact on the way we view life, I reckon! I'm longing to find out how the Creationists will explain it away.

God put it there.

Yes, but it throws the whole idea about Earth being 'special', being created by God and him sending his only son to save us... I'm sure they'll find some Bible 'evidence' to support it though.
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:34 am

Jesus is probably having to scoot around the Universe to save all the inhabited worlds. That'll be why it's taking so long for the much anticipated second coming.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:47 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Jesus is probably having to scoot around the Universe to save all the inhabited worlds. That'll be why it's taking so long for the much anticipated second coming.

:lol:

I'm going through a 'space' phase. Just watching a documentary about the Drake Equation - the title alone would probably bore a few people to sleep, but I'm finding it fascinating.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:53 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Jesus is probably having to scoot around the Universe to save all the inhabited worlds. That'll be why it's taking so long for the much anticipated second coming.

How does he have time to do that when he's so busy helping Tim Tebow play football?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:47 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:

How does he have time to do that when he's so busy helping Tim Tebow play football?

:lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion