Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Retro computer games

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Retro computer games

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:11 pm

welshben23 wrote:Is it wrong that I owned a ZX Spectrum and I only recognise one of those games mentioned on your and M-C's posts? :?:

There were hundreds, if not thousands, of Speccy games, so it's not surprising! Which games did you have, Ben?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:13 pm

Match Day, Peter Beardsley International Football, Robocop, Terminator 2, Batman, Pole Position, Barry McGuigan World Championship Boxing, Super Hang On, Wonder Boy, Paperboy, California Games, OutRun, Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Pit-Fighter, Super Monaco GP. I think that's all of them.
Last edited by welshben23 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
welshben23

Postby insaneasperger » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:31 pm

I don't even know what a Spectrum is..... OLDIES!!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:40 pm

insaneasperger wrote:I don't even know what a Spectrum is..... OLDIES!!

Bah! *Shakes fist and makes derogatory comments about youngsters today*
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

They don't know what they're missing out on. :lol:
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:41 pm

welshben23 wrote:Match Day, Peter Beardsley International Football, Robocop, Terminator 2, Batman, Pole Position, Barry McGuigan World Championship Boxing, Super Hang On, Wonder Boy, Paperboy, California Games, OutRun, Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Pit-Fighter, Super Monaco GP. I think that's all of them.

I had Paperboy - I nearly included it on my list above, actually. Had Emlyn Hughes, but didn't play it much. Think I had California Games and Wonder Boy too. Had (have!) Super Monaco and Super Hang On on the Megadrive.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 pm

welshben23 wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

They don't know what they're missing out on. :lol:

Yep! You haven't lived unless you've spent hours playing a game written in BASIC, which took ages to load and only had eight colours. :D Oh, and a resolution of about... how many pixels per screen? About ten (slight exaggeration there)? :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:43 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
welshben23 wrote:Match Day, Peter Beardsley International Football, Robocop, Terminator 2, Batman, Pole Position, Barry McGuigan World Championship Boxing, Super Hang On, Wonder Boy, Paperboy, California Games, OutRun, Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles, Pit-Fighter, Super Monaco GP. I think that's all of them.

I had Paperboy - I nearly included it on my list above, actually. Had Emlyn Hughes, but didn't play it much. Think I had California Games and Wonder Boy too. Had (have!) Super Monaco and Super Hang On on the Megadrive.

That's my problem, I can't remember if I had half of these games on the Spectrum or Megadrive. :?
welshben23

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 pm

welshben23 wrote:That's my problem, I can't remember if I had half of these games on the Spectrum or Megadrive. :?

I'm pretty sure those two would have been MD, I think they were released too late for the Spectrum.
Dorset Girl

Postby welshben23 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:46 pm

Now that I think about it I'm pretty sure I did have Super Monaco for the MD, probably a few others too.
welshben23

Postby tubalcain » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

Used to love Paperboy in the arcades. :D
That and Star Force;played like Midway's 1942 but with cool music and blitzing graphics.Around 1986,as I recall..
tubalcain

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:42 am

welshben23 wrote:Barry McGuigan World Championship Boxing

That was an awesome game. I'd definitely add that to my list of favourites.

Stuff like Space Harrier, Paperboy, 1942, Ghosts And Goblins and Outrun i had when i got a C64, so i can't include them on my Speccy list.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:46 am

Dorset Girl wrote:Funny what memories come back when I think of those games. I had a request published in Your Sinclair magazine (I linked to it above somewhere, I think) for help with Neverending Story. Some anonymous person sent me a beautiful hand-drawn A3 laminated map of the whole thing. It must have taken hours and hours of painstaking work. The handwriting was very small and calligraphic, and each location was painstakingly drawn and coloured. I never knew who sent it!

I've been looking at various maps of games on the games database website. Some are knitted screen grabs and others look like drawn versions, much like you were describing. :D I wish their image of the Jet Set Willy map was larger.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:51 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I wish their image of the Jet Set Willy map was larger.

Planning on playing it again? :D

The Rainbow Islands Sega version is very different from the Spectrum one. I was expecting to be able to complete it easily, but I'm actually having to work at it! I suppose that's a good thing... no point buying it if I can just complete it straight away...
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:58 am

Dorset Girl wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:I wish their image of the Jet Set Willy map was larger.

Planning on playing it again? :D

:D Nah, just like to look at it in detail. I'd print one out and frame it if i had a decent enough version :lol:

I do occasionally go back and play the games on my emulator.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby welshben23 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:06 am

Moon-Crane wrote:

Stuff like Space Harrier, Paperboy, 1942, Ghosts And Goblins and Outrun i had when i got a C64, so i can't include them on my Speccy list.

:shock: Traitor! :lol: Until this current generation of consoles I always used to 'pick sides' and chose 1 console over the others. I preferred the Speccy and didn't like the C64, I loved the Megadrive and hated the SNES, had a PS1 and PS2 and didn't like the look of the Xbox, GameCube or N64 at all. But in the last few years I've owned a Wii and still own and love the PS3 and 360.
welshben23

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36 am

welshben23 wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

:shock: Traitor! :lol: Until this current generation of consoles I always used to 'pick sides' and chose 1 console over the others. I preferred the Speccy and didn't like the C64, I loved the Megadrive and hated the SNES, had a PS1 and PS2 and didn't like the look of the Xbox, GameCube or N64 at all. But in the last few years I've owned a Wii and still own and love the PS3 and 360.

:D I had a SNES rather than a Mega Drive. Only because i had an irrational hatred of Sonic, but like Mario. I remember mates being divided between the Amiga/Atari ST when 16/32bit computers arrived.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:41 am

Haha, there must be more brand loyalty with games consoles than almost anything else (I know cameras are top of the list, though)! I was the opposite to you, MC - hated Mario, loved Sonic.

My friend had a C64, so I didn't mind that too much, but I remember there was always a huge thing in the Speccy magazines about how much better Spectrums were than Amstrads or Commodores!

I don't feel much (any) loyalty to the Wii - don't really like it. Keren plays Dora and Peppa games, but other than that it never gets switched on.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:26 pm

Oh dear. I bought this magazine today:

:D
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 pm

^^Just read your FB convo on the matter :D

Does anyone remember the 'Lords of Midnight' game? I loved that. Think it was available for both the speccy and C64.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:46 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:^^Just read your FB convo on the matter :D

Does anyone remember the 'Lords of Midnight' game? I loved that. Think it was available for both the speccy and C64.

Oh dear, yes, I think I've just 'outed' myself as a total and utter geek. I was very careful who I published that status to, though. Many of my friends will still be under the illusion that I'm normal. :lol:

And yes, I remember 'Lords of Midnight' - lots and lots of blue and cyan, if I'm thinking of the right game.
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 pm

That's the one :lol:

I remember being very proud of the fact that I completed Ghosts and Goblins on the C64 without losing a life. I remember Paperboy too - highly addictive game.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:53 pm

Yeah, if you threw the papers just right, you could smash windows and knock old ladies over! :D
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:53 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:^^Just read your FB convo on the matter :D

hell yeah, that was in my initial list :D
Moon-Crane wrote:...I loved Jetset Willy, Commando, The Sentinel, Lords Of Midnight, Airwolf, Spy vs Spy, Saboteur, The Way Of The Exploding Fist, Match Day, Football Manager, Trashman, Sabre Wulf, Atic Atak, Knight Lore and Gyroscope.

It was excellent.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:57 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Yeah, if you threw the papers just right, you could smash windows and knock old ladies over! :D

that was good fun.

I also loved Trashman on the Speccy for some reason - emptying bins as the wagon went up the street :D There can't have been any occupation or subject matter left unexplored by Speccy game makers :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion