Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Game. Of. Thrones.

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Game. Of. Thrones.

Postby Hector » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:22 pm

I thought this show deserved its own thread.

What can I say, my new favourite show!! THIS is the quality I was hoping for all those years ago when it was announced they were making a new Robin Hood series (instead we got that DR WHO lite pantomime tat, sorry if you liked it - just wasn't what I was expecting).

Every episode so far, for me, has been atleast an 8. Every character seems so natural and nuanced. No random acts or stupid twists, just a one big conflicting web of motivations, with each characters purpose clearly thought out and displayed. I don't think I've come across a person yet who I detest watching - even 'the baddies', which is a real testament to the writing and acting considering just how many characters there are.

Sean Bean is brilliant but My favourite characters thus far are Arya and the Imp. Also, can't wait to see Jon Snow get stuck in.

What do you lot think?
Last edited by Hector on Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hector

Re: Game. Of. Thrones.

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:27 pm

I'm two episodes behind on this show. Started to watch one this morning but had to head out to work so I couldn't finish it.

I'm loving it. I never read the books and it's kind of hard to follow but I'm finally starting to figure it out. Tyrion (the Imp) and Arya are my favorites as well.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 pm

I don't mind the show. Not particulaly my genre for reading material, but i'm finding it enjoyable enough that i'll definitely see it through. I like that it's (currently, at least) not a middle earth type land full of magic and dragons.

Hector, did you like the Richard Carpenter Robin of Sherwood series from the 80s?
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hector » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:01 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Hector, did you like the Richard Carpenter Robin of Sherwood series from the 80s?

I did actually. I really liked what he attempted to do with it, the ambition behind it. However. Certain aspects of it - Albion, Herns Son etc wern't really my cup of tea and I didn't like some of the characters (Marion, Much even Robin sometimes). Hands down though, it had the best Will Scarlet ever!! He was the heart and soul of everything that was good about that series. I liked Little John too. At the time, I was always a bit more into the look of Prince of Thieves - the rags, the weapons, the gritty fights (elements that the likes of Braveheart, Gladiator, LotR's, on now even Game of Thrones have taken on board, before then these dramas tended to be clean costumes and tights).

I couldn’t read the GoT books either. I hear there are about 6 of them, some about a 1000 pages long.

I have actually gone back and re-watched some of the earlier episode, everything is so much more obvious - just the little things you wouldn't have known to notice first time round, or places you hadn't seen yet. It's also cool to notice characters who have become more prominent (and the role they perform) there in background from the start (bit like Band of Brothers).
Hector

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Got the last two episodes still to watch (and there's a new one tonight). No reflection on the show that I haven't seen these yet as it's probably my favourite new series currently airing. Hopefully I'll get caught up within the next couple of days. Really good show.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:23 pm

I thought the last episode was another good one. It's developed well in my eyes as it wasn't something that grabbed me from the start.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:27 pm

I'm all caught up now and I really want somebody to punch that little snot Joffrey right in his face!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hector » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:53 pm

I felt the last episode, The Pointy End, was given a lot of ground to cover, I mean literally - how far did the Starks army travel from one scene to the next? Anyone else noticed that there are also alot of smaller almost none characters who have been given fairly lengthly scenes in this series? I'm starting to wonder if, in the greater scheme of things, Game of Thrones will be a story about the children and not the older generation...
Hector

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:07 pm

Hector wrote:I felt the last episode, The Pointy End, was given a lot of ground to cover, I mean literally - how far did the Starks army travel from one scene to the next? Anyone else noticed that there are also alot of smaller almost none characters who have been given fairly lengthly scenes in this series? I'm starting to wonder if, in the greater scheme of things, Game of Thrones will be a story about the children and not the older generation...

I'm loving this at the mo - just caught up on teh last three episodes. Extremely brutal, enthralling stuff.

Oh and Cat, yep, it definitely was his tongue that was ripped out :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:35 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Hector wrote:I felt the last episode, The Pointy End, was given a lot of ground to cover, I mean literally - how far did the Starks army travel from one scene to the next? Anyone else noticed that there are also alot of smaller almost none characters who have been given fairly lengthly scenes in this series? I'm starting to wonder if, in the greater scheme of things, Game of Thrones will be a story about the children and not the older generation...

I'm loving this at the mo - just caught up on teh last three episodes. Extremely brutal, enthralling stuff.

Oh and Cat, yep, it definitely was his tongue that was ripped out :lol:

Now I really need to go back and watch that scene again.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hector » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:15 pm

That last episode kinda changed everything.
Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Hector wrote:That last episode kinda changed everything.

Sure did.

Could I be lucky enough to have the Northerners and the Dathraki team up and cover Joffrey in syrup and tie him to an ant hill? Not those quick ants though like on Indiana Jones. The slow, biting kind that take days and days to kill you!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:34 pm

Just out of interest Hector, are you one of the maby fans upset by this recent turn of events? Do you wish things had been done differently for the TV series?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:06 pm

From my perspective: while the end of the last episode threw me a little, I'd have been far more annoyed for it not to have happened, only to then find out the story had been significantly changed to fit some tv mentality of how things should be. One of the things that puts me off many tv shows (Heroes, for example) is to see people bumped off only to return a few episodes later on some stupidly written technicality. there's no sense of dread for certain characters in shows, no matter how dire their situation.

While i'm disappointed at how things have panned out here, it pleases me that anything really can happen to anyone in this world, so bringing real tension to the potential loss of characters i grow to like. Bring it on. I hope there are further significant surprises to come. If it carries on at this level, i assume there'll be a few more seasons to watch (i don't know how many books there are to the story).

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:56 pm

I agree MC. Even though
Spoiler: show
I hated the fact that Ned was killed
, I get it. It was just so unexpected for me that it totally threw me for a loop. I figured that character to be around for a very long time. A part of me is glad I'm not familiar with the story. I don't know if I would want to watch it knowing what's going to happen.

Don't even get me started on what Tim Kring did with Heroes. That show was so awesome in it's first season. I can't believe anyone could destroy a series that quickly!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:47 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I agree MC. Even though
I hated the fact that Ned was killed
, I get it. It was just so unexpected for me that it totally threw me for a loop. I figured that character to be around for a very long time. A part of me is glad I'm not familiar with the story. I don't know if I would want to watch it knowing what's going to happen.

Definitely came out of leftfield for me. I was also expecting him to be a central character for a good while.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hector » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:00 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:

Just out of interest Hector, are you one of the maby fans upset by this recent turn of events? Do you wish things had been done differently for the TV series?

No, not dissapointed. Although
for me, this is probably the naturally suited Sean Bean has been to a part since Major Sharpe

I don't get the whole audiences been upset thing, it's great that a character was loved, but - would they rather the story not follow the books?! Did anyone else get the feeling *he* stopped being the lead character anyway, mid way through, with the series becoming a more ensemble piece? This series is strange though. It seems more and more likely this story won't be settled with a dual between a Lanister and a Stark, or some speech before an epic battle but rather by events being decided by a good character making a mistake, or an unethical person finally choosing the honourable course of action. That last episode bled through in almost every scene with the idea of duty v family.

“Baelor!” Has ever a more emotional word been said? In other words “SAVE MY DAUGHTER”

How about yourself MrBlueSky have recent events marred your interest in the show?

I've been told that there are 4 or 5 books, with this first one possibly even being the weakest in the series.
Hector

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:15 pm

No, not marred my interest in the show at all. It's a bit disappointing that we won't be seeing him again but I really admire that the books weren't dumbed down for a TV audience. The whole point of that shocking character death was to make the audience aware that no one is safe and to be afraid every time you tune in that your favourite character could well be next. Superb, bold piece of writing.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hector » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:09 pm

I've only just caught the finale.

Its the most un-finale like episode I've seen to end a season with. Instead of concluding anything, it more like it was putting pieces into place for the story to come, with the Starks now separated across the realm each with their own purpose - Rob going to War, Sansa trapped in the enemy camp, Bran manning Winterfell, Jon going beyond the wall and Ayra travelling a dangerous road whilst trying to keep her identity secret. I think its interesting she's paired with King Roberts son who doesn't in fact know who he is.

I'm looking forward to Tyrion going to Kings Landing putting some wrongs to right, including Joffery. Unlike Ned, I think he was born for that role, can't see him making the same mistakes.

Also, Dany is now going to be a force to be reckoned with.
Hector

Postby Hector » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 pm

I'm actually reading the first book right now. I find it interesting to read it after having seen the first season of the series. It helps understand a few things. That said, I am still glad
I didn't know about Ned's demise
and I think I'll do the second book the same way. I'll wait until the season ends and then read it.

I'm also rewatching the first season. I'll read a few chapters and then watch an episode.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hector » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:12 pm

Me too. I've actually gotten to book 3, I got through them pretty quickly.

Watching the series back now I find there is so much detail they crammed in there that I wasn't able to pickup on. Also, the mystery of Neds sister how she died and why, I think is of greater importance than the TV series would have us believe.
I’m beginning to question the version of events we’ve been told and, I now think although honourable, Neds actions had other motives than at first seemed apparent.

Also - The Westros I swear is like a medieval UK, the geography is the same. The cold hilly NORTH where Winterfell is, is basically North West England, THE WALL is Hadrians Wall with Scotland above where the wild tribes live, the IRON ISLANDS to west is Ireland, KINGS LANDING is where London is, and the warm Dothrhaki Country to the South East separated by the channel seems not-unlike the middle of France. Is this just me?

But anyway “it’s about to go offfff!!!!”
Last edited by Hector on Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hector

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:45 pm

Looking forward to season 2. They've been trailering it like mad on Sky since the atart of the year and it's not due to start on there until april.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hector » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:15 pm

So far. A solid start to Season 2.

1- "The North Remembers" did a great job of introtucing and re-introducing, and setting all the pieces in motion.

2- "The Night Lands" was a bit of step back for me. I can't believe I'm saying this but, too many sex scenes!! The episode was a mere contination of the opener but with the pawns just being moved one more space. Compare it to the first seasons episode 2 where you had Jon saying goodbye to Ayra, Bran, Robb, and Ned - (and the big finish with Bran and the wolf) powerful scenes which pretty much formed the emotional centre for the entire season. I wished they'd jettisoned the Stannis and Dany stuff to a later episode and brought more of Ayra's storyline forward to this episode - then the party can really start!!
Last edited by Hector on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hector

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:20 pm

Hector wrote:So far. A solid start to Season 2.

1- "The North Remembers" did a great job of introtucing and re-introducing, and setting all the pieces in motion.

2- "The Night Lands" was a bit of step back for me. I can't believe I'm saying this but, too many sex scenes!! The episode was a mere contination of the opener but with the pawns just being moved one more space. Compare it to the first seasons episode 2 where you had Jon saying goodbye to Ayra, Bran, Robb, and Ned - (and the big finish with Bran and the wolf) powerful scenes which pretty much formed the emotion centre for the entire season. I wished they'd jettisoned the Stannis and Dany stuff to a later episode and brought more of Ayra's storyline forward to this episode - then the party can really start!!

I have to disagree. Season 2 is shaping up very nicely as far as I'm concerned. In fact, I marginally preferred the second episode - the first episode was all about re-introducing everyone and everything, the second episode was just good, fluid storytelling and it already feels like we're building towards something big.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion