Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Game. Of. Thrones.

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Game. Of. Thrones.

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:31 pm

I've completely missed season two so far. Shame on me.

I could probably use that as an excuse to watch season one again. I have a feeling there's a lot the show offers through repeated viewings.
barnaclelapse

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:33 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:I've completely missed season two so far. Shame on me.

I could probably use that as an excuse to watch season one again. I have a feeling there's a lot the show offers through repeated viewings.

It's only been 3 episodes so far Barney. You should be able to catch up easily enough.

I got a lot more out of my S1 viewing after having read the book. It has really helped my understanding of everyone's roles. I will read book 2 after the second season is over.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:27 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
barnaclelapse wrote:I've completely missed season two so far. Shame on me.

It's only been 3 episodes so far Barney. You should be able to catch up easily enough.

I got a lot more out of my S1 viewing after having read the book. It has really helped my understanding of everyone's roles. I will read book 2 after the second season is over.

Yep, the books are awesome. Having read them it really adds an extra layer to the Westeros world and makes you realise what a rich, developed world George R R Martin has created.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Finally got up to date with the first two episodes of S2 today. Excellent start. Intriguing and entertaining from the outset. Impressed that the good S1 work is carrying on.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hector » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:44 am

Great episode! There’s the Game of Thrones I love. [vague spoilers]-

What a difference it made to the pacing omitting Jon, Bran, Theon – it also helps that the storylines are now beginning to converge.

Tyrions brief interaction with Sansa lifted my admiration for the pair and Bronn was in fine form too. Littlefingers package to Catlyn was magic -a reminder of what once was. There was some sheer nastyness in this episode which put me on a knife edge (I can’t decide what’s worse - Joffery or rats). I like how Hot Pies character inadvertently brings subtle humour to the most dire of situations – look the Mountain in the eyes indeed! Aryas look of horror for Gendry, Tryion with his cousin, the return of Charles Dance as Tywin, and Robb Stark were all also great and the City of Quarth looked spectacular. There seemed to be a few game changers moments in there too, not least the WTF ending. PLUS Ayra’s making a list and checking it twice, who been naughty and not nice

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Jon Snow beyond the wall now.
Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:36 pm

I missed something along the line somewhere in the first few episodes. Can someone explain to me why Renly thinks he's the true heir to the Iron Throne? (if that is possible without spoiling anything that happens in the future since I haven't read the 2nd book) Stannis is the eldesrt surviving Baratheon and Ned seemed pretty certain Stannis was the rightful heir.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:32 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I missed something along the line somewhere in the first few episodes. Can someone explain to me why Renly thinks he's the true heir to the Iron Throne? (if that is possible without spoiling anything that happens in the future since I haven't read the 2nd book) Stannis is the eldesrt surviving Baratheon and Ned seemed pretty certain Stannis was the rightful heir.

I've read the second book and I don't think there was really a legitimate reason for Renly to have a claim on the throne. I think it was because he had the support and love of the people, whereas Stannis, although the rightful heir, was loathed and feared.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:16 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I missed something along the line somewhere in the first few episodes. Can someone explain to me why Renly thinks he's the true heir to the Iron Throne? (if that is possible without spoiling anything that happens in the future since I haven't read the 2nd book) Stannis is the eldesrt surviving Baratheon and Ned seemed pretty certain Stannis was the rightful heir.

I've read the second book and I don't think there was really a legitimate reason for Renly to have a claim on the throne. I think it was because he had the support and love of the people, whereas Stannis, although the rightful heir, was loathed and feared.

Thanks Cakey. That's been bugging me.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:43 pm

Hector wrote:Great episode! There’s the Game of Thrones I love. [vague spoilers]-

What a difference it made to the pacing omitting Jon, Bran, Theon – it also helps that the storylines are now beginning to converge.

Tyrions brief interaction with Sansa lifted my admiration for the pair and Bronn was in fine form too. Littlefingers package to Catlyn was magic -a reminder of what once was. There was some sheer nastyness in this episode which put me on a knife edge (I can’t decide what’s worse - Joffery or rats). I like how Hot Pies character inadvertently brings subtle humour to the most dire of situations – look the Mountain in the eyes indeed! Aryas look of horror for Gendry, Tryion with his cousin, the return of Charles Dance as Tywin, and Robb Stark were all also great and the City of Quarth looked spectacular. There seemed to be a few game changers moments in there too, not least the WTF ending. PLUS Ayra’s making a list and checking it twice, who been naughty and not nice

I’m looking forward to seeing more of Jon Snow beyond the wall now.

Agree with all that. Quarth looked amazing - I have to remind myself sometimes that I'm watching a TV show and now a mega-budget film.

There are a lot of strands playing out simultaneously which require a lot of viewing attention it's such a rich story it's worth it.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hector » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:36 pm

Absolutely! Every single scene has so many things going on it's hard to fully appreciate in one viewing sometimes.

Another awesome episode today. Loved every scene. Great to see Jon and Bran again (Sam too), forget how much I route for those groups of characters. I don't know how much more can be said about Tyrion, this was probably my favourite performance of his this season, tink he managed to show every facet of his character - the mean, the funny, the smart, the loveable ("Demon monkey"), the good etc and it helps too that Bronn (Jerome from Robson & Jerome) is so good too. The storylines are beginning to converge and the character arcs are now beginning to come to fruition... second half of season looks to be fun
Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 01, 2012 12:15 am

Hector wrote:Absolutely! Every single scene has so many things going on it's hard to fully appreciate in one viewing sometimes.

Another awesome episode today. Loved every scene. Great to see Jon and Bran again (Sam too), forget how much I route for those groups of characters. I don't know how much more can be said about Tyrion, this was probably my favourite performance of his this season, tink he managed to show every facet of his character - the mean, the funny, the smart, the loveable ("Demon monkey"), the good etc and it helps too that Bronn (Jerome from Robson & Jerome) is so good too. The storylines are beginning to converge and the character arcs are now beginning to come to fruition... second half of season looks to be fun

Tyrion gets better by the moment. His whole reaction to the guy ranting about corruption and the "demon monkey" thing was great.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu May 03, 2012 12:29 pm

I know everyone (including me) is loving Tyrion this season, but i also have to give a shout to Arya. Enjoying her story and the actress is doing a great job.

The season's getting better with each episode.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hector » Thu May 03, 2012 2:14 pm

I was arguing the other day that Ayras performances have been better that Tyrions. She's been given a more difficult range with less screen time and doesn't get the cool lines that Tryrion gets, and yet every one of her scenes this year have been masterful, or atleast for me, more memorable. I've always thought they just did well to cast like-for-like child actors but neither Bran, nor Ayra seem nothing like their on-screen characters from interviews I've seen. They both might just be THAT good.
Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu May 03, 2012 5:27 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I know everyone (including me) is loving Tyrion this season, but i also have to give a shout to Arya. Enjoying her story and the actress is doing a great job.

The season's getting better with each episode.

I adore Arya. She's been my second favorite after Tyrion since I started watching and having read the first book it gave me even more of an appreciation for her.

The young girl who plays her and the boy who plays Joffrey are amazingly talented for their young ages.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu May 03, 2012 5:41 pm

Hector wrote:I was arguing the other day that Ayras performances have been better that Tyrions. She's been given a more difficult range with less screen time and doesn't get the cool lines that Tryrion gets, and yet every one of her scenes this year have been masterful, or atleast for me, more memorable. I've always thought they just did well to cast like-for-like child actors but neither Bran, nor Ayra seem nothing like their on-screen characters from interviews I've seen. They both might just be THAT good.

CatNamedRudy wrote:I adore Arya. She's been my second favorite after Tyrion since I started watching and having read the first book it gave me even more of an appreciation for her.

The young girl who plays her and the boy who plays Joffrey are amazingly talented for their young ages.

I agree. The casting of all the main characters i can currently think of has worked out perfectly. Been very impressed with the youngsters. All the experienced adult cast, 'big name' or small, are certainly putting in a good shift.

The Joffrey lad is doing a good job in terms of being a nasty bugger without becoming too much of a pantomime villain. the Arya girl is very impressive in a seemingly vital, yet more understated role.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hector » Thu May 03, 2012 10:00 pm

I don't know to what extent I think she is vital, she's just a great character.
Hector

Postby Hector » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 pm

That opening decapitation scene - WOW. The conflict pouring off his face absolutely sold it. Whats interesting, is that, in the space of a minute you see Theon trying to live up to the Iron folk ("he must pay the iron price") whilst STILL trying to prove himself worthy at Winterfell ("who passes the sentence should swing the sword"). Brilliantly directed scene. And the actor has done a great job making Theon a cocky, horrible to the core, little sh!t who acts gracefully - any time he was on screen you could almost see the physical manifestation of his Stark upbring masking the Greyjoy blood beneath. He wants to be Ned Stark, but when it comes to it, he's weak and out of his his depth.

We saw a nice contrast between how Jon acts when he's 'expected' to execute, as appose to Theon. Very similar positioning and framing. We also got a comparison of two Wilding women: Igritte and Osha, and of course the Starks two eldest sons both dealing with duty and women.
Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 08, 2012 10:42 pm

Osha is awesome. Loved the whole situation with her dealing with Theon and his lot. Part of me was wishing she'd kill Theon while screwing him but he's a great character and it's far too early to kill him off.

I knew there was no way Jon was going to be able to behead a girl. Especially one that didn't really do anything to him. Loved her grinding on him during the night and him getting all annoyed. That scene cracked me up.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hector » Tue May 22, 2012 12:14 pm

As much as Jon was expected to, and as much Jon wanted to prove himself a tough-as-nuts Ranger - I think when it comes down to it, it's the Stark way. They don't kill captives.

As much is evident with his brothers dealings.
Hector

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue May 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Decent enough episode again this week. Enjoyed the posturing between Tyrion and Cersei.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed May 23, 2012 12:07 am

Yep. It was pretty good. Jon is kind of a wuss though!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed May 23, 2012 8:23 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Decent enough episode again this week. Enjoyed the posturing between Tyrion and Cersei.

Yeah, once again Tyrion makes the episode. Enjoyed the little snippet of Joffrey too - I can't wait for him to get what's coming to him :D

Looking forward to the 'Battle of the Blackwater' episode this week.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Hector » Wed May 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Anyone else thinking that next weeks episode is gonna be one big Kings Landing Blackwater siege episode? Nothing else just the POVs from all the different characters fighting in it...

Jons not a wuss! He's like a young Aragon and easily a more natural leader than his brother. Well, he's supposed to be anyway.This is one problem from reading the books before the series this time round. Most of the adaption has been really good on the whole (such as Kings Landing) but I can’t help but feel the characterisations of Jon and Arya have been short changed - and its not lack of screen time, its (I think) from the producers feeling the need to end episodes on a cliffhanger or add/show as much of Tywin and Igritte as possible and, as a result, both characters seem quite feeble. I don’t remember Jon being bested by anyone. In fact Jon, Arya and Gendry probably found themselves in worse situations and not only sorted them out themselves but, to my memory, also helped others along the way. Plus their overall character arcs/ themes and little nuances were well concieved and would have made great TV. Well, even better TV!

Really sorry if any of that counts as spoilers, I don’t think it does though.
Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 pm

I actually think Jon has too much of a heart to be mean to anyone. He's a wuss when it comes to killing people but I believe it's because he's very much like his father and doesn't want to kill just for the sake of killing. I don't think we've been shortchanged with Arya at all. I have only read the first book so I don't know what she's like in the future books (and please don't tell me) but I have loved her this season so far. Especially her scenes with Tywin.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu May 24, 2012 12:45 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I actually think Jon has too much of a heart to be mean to anyone. He's a wuss when it comes to killing people but I believe it's because he's very much like his father and doesn't want to kill just for the sake of killing. I don't think we've been shortchanged with Arya at all. I have only read the first book so I don't know what she's like in the future books (and please don't tell me) but I have loved her this season so far. Especially her scenes with Tywin.

I'd place the Arya story thread as my favourite of this season - even above Tyrion's. I've not read the books so i don't have any associated baggage. I'll keep it that way, i think.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion