Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Game. Of. Thrones.

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Game. Of. Thrones.

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu May 24, 2012 3:07 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I actually think Jon has too much of a heart to be mean to anyone. He's a wuss when it comes to killing people but I believe it's because he's very much like his father and doesn't want to kill just for the sake of killing. I don't think we've been shortchanged with Arya at all. I have only read the first book so I don't know what she's like in the future books (and please don't tell me) but I have loved her this season so far. Especially her scenes with Tywin.

I'd place the Arya story thread as my favourite of this season - even above Tyrion's. I've not read the books so i don't have any associated baggage. I'll keep it that way, i think.

I read the books after I watch the season. I'd rather compare them that way than the other way around. I agree on the Arya storyline. I love Tyrion and he's still my favorite overall character but Arya's story is really grabbing my attention.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hector » Sun May 27, 2012 12:28 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I actually think Jon has too much of a heart to be mean to anyone. He's a wuss when it comes to killing people but I believe it's because he's very much like his father and doesn't want to kill just for the sake of killing. I don't think we've been shortchanged with Arya at all. I have only read the first book so I don't know what she's like in the future books (and please don't tell me) but I have loved her this season so far. Especially her scenes with Tywin.

I'd place the Arya story thread as my favourite of this season - even above Tyrion's. I've not read the books so i don't have any associated baggage. I'll keep it that way, i think.

I read the books after I watch the season. I'd rather compare them that way than the other way around. I agree on the Arya storyline. I love Tyrion and he's still my favorite overall character but Arya's story is really grabbing my attention.

Well I obviously won't comment too much on this for the non-book readers. In hind sight I'm glad, this time round, I got to experience the storylines in the books first - unspoiled as it were. Especially Ayra's. I will say though I think all the best bits in her story have been changed, which says alot as I do still I love her in the series, but it is such a shame they didn't give her storyline its due not only because - it would have been one of the most memorable plots on tele this year - but also, the actress has nailed the character, as have the actors who play Hot Pie, Gendry and Jaquen.

On the Jon Snow front, I had to check it wasn’t just me thinking he was better in the 2nd book. In other Throne forums there is a lot of chatter about the emasculation of Jon Snow – and generally the series making him a bit useless and dim witted.

In the spoilers, here are all the things (so far) that don’t happen to Jon in the books. Don't look if you’re planning to read, the 2nd, A Clash of Kings.

Spoiler: show
-Craster knocks him out and takes his sword
-He had to ask to go with the Halfhand, instead of being selected for the best rangers team
-He didn't kill anyone when they found Ygritte etc, only just taking her by surprise
-He gets himself lost
-Both Ygritte and Craster make him look like a child with their banter
-He gets led into a trap by Ygritte
-He’s now following Ygritte around on a chain, with his balls to be cut off if he tries to escape
-He even now doesn’t get credit for finding the dragonglass
-oh, and, Ghost has left him
Hector

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 29, 2012 4:29 am

Can't believe next week is the season finale already. This week's episode was awesome. I loved how all of it was at King's Landing.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue May 29, 2012 8:42 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Can't believe next week is the season finale already. This week's episode was awesome. I loved how all of it was at King's Landing.

Agreed. The best episode of the season so far. The Battle of Blackwater didn't disappoint. All the Cersei/Sansa stuff was brilliant too.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Hector » Tue May 29, 2012 9:55 am

Awesome!!
Hector

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue May 29, 2012 11:50 am

Blackwater was a spectacular episode. Epic battle. I'm glad they didn't bother with any of the other ongoing storylines to concentrate fully on the seige.

I liked Sandor throughout this episode. Joffrey's face when 'The Hound' returned from facing the fire and had had enough. "Fuck the Kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the king" :D

Lovely visuals throughout. Especially good work on recreating that 'emerald inferno' on the ships.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue May 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Blackwater was a spectacular episode. Epic battle. I'm glad they didn't bother with any of the other ongoing storylines to concentrate fully on the seige.

I liked Sandor throughout this episode. Joffrey's face when 'The Hound' returned from facing the fire and had had enough. "Fuck the Kingsguard. Fuck the city. Fuck the king" :D

Lovely visuals throughout. Especially good work on recreating that 'emerald inferno' on the ships.

Agreed. Best episode of the entire run for me, a definite 10/10. I don't think there has ever been a TV episode of anything set on such an epic, cinematic scale. I'd love to know what the budget was for that episode alone.

So many quotable lines. Love the one you've quoted there from 'Dog' - another of his was "If any of you die without blood on your swords I'll rape your corpses!" :lol:

Tyrion was superb yet again. I was terrified he would die at the end there as the show simply won't be the same without him.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Blackwater was a spectacular episode. Epic battle. I'm glad they didn't bother with any of the other ongoing storylines to concentrate fully on the seige.

Agreed. Best episode of the entire run for me, a definite 10/10. I don't think there has ever been a TV episode of anything set on such an epic, cinematic scale. I'd love to know what the budget was for that episode alone.

So many quotable lines. Love the one you've quoted there from 'Dog' - another of his was "If any of you die without blood on your swords I'll rape your corpses!" :lol:

Tyrion was superb yet again. I was terrified he would die at the end there as the show simply won't be the same without him.

Interesting that you mentioned the budget issue. I just read something yesterday that said in it's original script, the Battle of Blackwater actually took place almost entirely off screen because of budgetary concerns. They've held a few other battles in that manner but I'm so glad they didn't do that with Blackwater. That scene was just so epic and amazing I can't imagine it ocurring off screen.

Not sure how much of this to put in spoiler tags so I might be overdoing it! lol

At first I didn't realize Stannis wasn't in the front line of ships that got wildfired. I was thinking "Well, that takes another Baratheon out of the mix!"

Lord knows the majority of the Lannisters are filthy scum and they should all be destroyed
but my heart sank when Tyrion was attacked! He's a manipulative little imp but I adore him!

Question though: Why was Cersi going to poison Tommen? Did she just not want him to have to live as a Baratheon captive?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hector » Tue May 29, 2012 5:50 pm

I think so, Cersi and her son certainly reminded me of a little of the crazy Lysa Arren and her son from the first season sitting on that throne. Was it me, or was Sansa costumed to look more like the adult in comparrison to Cersi?

A lot of credit must also go to the book author GRRMartin for his work in writing this episode, I wish he could write more episodes. I do prefer when the show doesn't try to cover every character in favour of spending more time with select groups (ok some episodes you have to show everyone, but, it makes a difference).
Hector

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue May 29, 2012 8:27 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Interesting that you mentioned the budget issue. I just read something yesterday that said in it's original script, the Battle of Blackwater actually took place almost entirely off screen because of budgetary concerns. They've held a few other battles in that manner but I'm so glad they didn't do that with Blackwater. That scene was just so epic and amazing I can't imagine it ocurring off screen.

Yeah, I saw on Digital Spy today that the producers had to beg HBO for more money per episode to enable them to show the Blackwater battle. Well worth the investment I'm sure, although the decision was obviously made before HBO took a massive loss on Luck which they had to can midway through production. Hopefully they'll sell lots of Blu-Ray copies of GoT to make up for it - it's the kind of show that really benefits from HD.

At first I didn't realize Stannis wasn't in the front line of ships that got wildfired. I was thinking "Well, that takes another Baratheon out of the mix!"

Stannis was right at the Vanguard leading his men into battle - the direct opposite of Joffrey of course :D I really liked his 'Hand' who was one of the first to die on the ships with that Wildfire attack

Lord knows the majority of the Lannisters are filthy scum and they should all be destroyed
but my heart sank when Tyrion was attacked! He's a manipulative little imp but I adore him!

Question though: Why was Cersi going to poison Tommen? Did she just not want him to have to live as a Baratheon captive?

I think
she was going to poison both herself and her son so that they wouldn't be captured alive - she'd just given Sansa that drunken talk about what happens when a city is sacked so didn't want that for herself or her son

I've watched next week's trailer already - some really interesting little teasers in there :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue May 29, 2012 8:35 pm

Hector wrote:A lot of credit must also go to the book author GRRMartin for his work in writing this episode, I wish he could write more episodes. I do prefer when the show doesn't try to cover every character in favour of spending more time with select groups (ok some episodes you have to show everyone, but, it makes a difference).

It was nice that the creator of the whole GoT universe got to pen possibly the greatest TV episode. Personally though I wish he'd concentrate more on finishing off the 7-part book series. He's only written 2 books since 2000's A Storm of Swords and at 63 there's a danger he may never complete it unless he gets a move on. Hopefully the TV adaptation will re-invigorate him.

There's the distinct possibility that the TV series will reach its end before the book series which will be a bit strange if GRRM is still involved at that point...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yeah, I saw on Digital Spy today that the producers had to beg HBO for more money per episode to enable them to show the Blackwater battle. Well worth the investment I'm sure, although the decision was obviously made before HBO took a massive loss on Luck which they had to can midway through production. Hopefully they'll sell lots of Blu-Ray copies of GoT to make up for it - it's the kind of show that really benefits from HD.

I'm glad they did invest in that episode. It was easily their best. I can't see this show failing to find a significant audience on Blu Ray. While it's looked great on Sky Atlantic HD, it should look magnificent in the glory of the full 1080p treatment.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Yeah, I saw on Digital Spy today that the producers had to beg HBO for more money per episode to enable them to show the Blackwater battle. Well worth the investment I'm sure, although the decision was obviously made before HBO took a massive loss on Luck which they had to can midway through production. Hopefully they'll sell lots of Blu-Ray copies of GoT to make up for it - it's the kind of show that really benefits from HD.

I'm glad they did invest in that episode. It was easily their best. I can't see this show failing to find a significant audience on Blu Ray. While it's looked great on Sky Atlantic HD, it should look magnificent in the glory of the full 1080p treatment.

I have the first season in blu-ray. It's pretty nice. I'm really looking forward to this season's release so I can see the Blackwater battle and especially the Wildfire in blu-ray!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue May 29, 2012 10:59 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I have the first season in blu-ray. It's pretty nice. I'm really looking forward to this season's release so I can see the Blackwater battle and especially the Wildfire in blu-ray!

Yep, i'd be tempted to get the show. I'll try and hold on for a full show box set at the very end, but if it pops up at a decent sale price i may end up buying them.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:10 am

Someone posted this on facebook today and it just cracked me up.

Winter is Coming Charlie Brown

CatNamedRudy

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion