Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dexter thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Dexter thread

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:42 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Dexter-Beauty and the Beast 7.5/10

Meh. I was expecting more since last week's episode showed so much promise.

I like the shape this season's taking actually - it's nice to see them attempt something a bit different. The relationship between Dexter and the new women in his life is going to be interesting this year. So far the series hasn't been renewed for a 6th season so if this is to be the last one I can imagine Dexter's ultimate demise will be caused by
Spoiler: show
him not killing Lumen
and the Quinn angle is interesting too - he's obviously not going to let his suspicions about Dexter die down (even though I thought the photo ID scene with the Mitchell kid was a copout).

This has happened with every season of Dexter so far. The episodes start slowly and build to a deafening crescendo by the end of the season - hopefully it will be the same again this year. I'd give the ep another solid 8/10.

I agree that each season has started slowly and then exploded into life for the second half of the season, but I think the set-up (the early eps) of Seasons 1 to 4 were definitely more entertaining and interesting than what we've seen this year, so far. For example, the equivalent fourth episode of Season 4 (Dex Takes a Holiday) was edge-of-your-seat game-changing stuff. This episode was just... not dull exactly, but considering how much the preview promised, fell far short for me.

It's also got to the point where I'm considering skipping through the Batista/Laguerta stuff.

The Quinn stuff is decent though.

7/10, maybe.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:48 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:I agree that each season has started slowly and then exploded into life for the second half of the season, but I think the set-up (the early eps) of Seasons 1 to 4 were definitely more entertaining and interesting than what we've seen this year, so far. For example, the equivalent fourth episode of Season 4 (Dex Takes a Holiday) was edge-of-your-seat game-changing stuff. This episode was just... not dull exactly, but considering how much the preview promised, fell far short for me.

It's also got to the point where I'm considering skipping through the Batista/Laguerta stuff.

7/10, maybe.

:lol: I know what you mean. They obviously have contracts and my cynical nature thinks they are just token characters to bring in a Latino audience. I may be wrong, but their presence definitely does nothing to enhance the show in my opinion.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:51 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:I agree that each season has started slowly and then exploded into life for the second half of the season, but I think the set-up (the early eps) of Seasons 1 to 4 were definitely more entertaining and interesting than what we've seen this year, so far. For example, the equivalent fourth episode of Season 4 (Dex Takes a Holiday) was edge-of-your-seat game-changing stuff. This episode was just... not dull exactly, but considering how much the preview promised, fell far short for me.

7/10, maybe.

:lol: I know what you mean. They obviously have contracts and my cynical nature thinks they are just token characters to bring in a Latino audience. I may be wrong, but their presence definitely does nothing to enhance the show in my opinion.

They were fine in the first 2 seasons - hunting The Ice Truck Killer and the Bay Harbour Butcher, but now they just seem to eat up screen time that would be better spent on Dexter himself. Shame, because I used to rather like Angel's character.

Oh, and I miss John Lithgow. :)
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:
They were fine in the first 2 seasons - hunting The Ice Truck Killer and the Bay Harbour Butcher, but now they just seem to eat up screen time that would be better spent on Dexter himself. Shame, because I used to rather like Angel's character.

Yeah, they don't have to kill them off or anything, just let their characters fade back into the superfluous background characters they are rather than concocting dull sub-plots for them to work through.

I understood John Lithgow would be appearing in this series, a bit like Dexter's father Harry does. I also read Rita would be appearing in much the same way. Maybe it'll happen later in the series.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Cake for Brains wrote:

Yeah, they don't have to kill them off or anything, just let their characters fade back into the superfluous background characters they are rather than concocting dull sub-plots for them to work through.

I understood John Lithgow would be appearing in this series, a bit like Dexter's father Harry does. I also read Rita would be appearing in much the same way. Maybe it'll happen later in the series.

Didn't Rita make an appearance in the first episode? (as a memory or something) I think that was all there was supposed to be of her. And I hadn't heard about Lithgow making appearances. I can't really picture any type of scenario where Trinity would appear other than in a flashback or a hallucination. I hope that doesn't happen on any type of regular basis. Harry appearing to Dex works but I don't think other characters doing that would be a good idea.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:52 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Didn't Rita make an appearance in the first episode? (as a memory or something) I think that was all there was supposed to be of her. And I hadn't heard about Lithgow making appearances. I can't really picture any type of scenario where Trinity would appear other than in a flashback or a hallucination. I hope that doesn't happen on any type of regular basis. Harry appearing to Dex works but I don't think other characters doing that would be a good idea.

You're right - it wouldn't work if all the people from Dexter's past suddenly started appearing to him. I liked the Rita flashbacks in the first ep, but I suspect you're right and that's the only appearance she'll make this season.

I'm sure I read something about John Lithgow this season - it may have been just him saying he wouldn't mind reprising his role rather than any firm plans to have him on the show again.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 am

Interesting Preview Clip of tomorrow's episode.

I like the new direction this is taking...

Dexter obviously still feels guilty over Rita's death so he wants to help and protect Lumen in a way he couldn't with Rita. I also like that there seems to be a 'group' of killers out there who pose the main threat to Dexter this season rather than just the regular single threat

...I'm just a bit worried about the execution right now. Chip Johannessen has taken over Showrunner duties from Clyde Phillips this season and I'm worried it's beginning to show. I'm not going to pre-judge anything, we're only 4 episodes in, but in seasons' past I was already seriously hooked into the season's story arc at this point and it just doesn't feel the same this year. Time will tell - every season gets more intense towards the climax.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:37 am

Dexter S5 - "First Blood" 7/10

Another frustratingly average and rather slow episode this week. I'm enjoying the show superficially at the moment, it has to be said, but that thrill of having a new episode to watch is beginning to fade. There is, as yet, no sense of momentum, no interesting antagonist and far too many subplots that bore me rigid.

I like the central premise we have at the moment and it has potential to develop into something really interesting.
I can see a sort of triangle cat-and-mouse game emerging; Lumen wants to punish the men who tried to kill her, who will in turn want to punish Dexter for killing one of them. Possibly.
That said, the execution isn't as gripping as it needs to be and I've not really been impressed with Julia Stiles, thus far.

Next week and we'll be halfway. Season 5 needs to up its game, methinks.
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:52 am

Just finished watching First Blood.

Aside from the fact that there's no way Brunner (or whatever his name is) could be living under that bridge and be on electronic monitoring or GPS, I thought it was decent enough.

Although I do agree with Cakey in that I don't greatly anticipate each week's new episodes like I have in the past. This season just hasn't hit it's stride.

And really, can Angel and Maria just go the fuck away already?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:20 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:And really, can Angel and Maria just go the fuck away already?

I haven't seen this episode yet, but I just have to say that my Batista love is waning rapidly this season.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:52 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:And really, can Angel and Maria just go the fuck away already?

I haven't seen this episode yet, but I just have to say that my Batista love is waning rapidly this season.

As for the most recent episode, I can understand why he did what he did. I get it. I just hate their whole storyline so much I want them to just go away.

And I really think Quinn is evil. I've thought that from the get go but now I think it even more. I just think there's more to him than just wanting to catch Dexter. Wouldn't surprise me if he was The Lopper! (Seinfeld reference since I don't know if the head severing killer has a name)
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:55 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:As for the most recent episode, I can understand why he did what he did. I get it. I just hate their whole storyline so much I want them to just go away.

Have they resolved the whole 'Maria's got more money than me' issue? They were going on about that every time they were onscreen in the last episode, and to be honest I didn't care.

And I really think Quinn is evil. I've thought that from the get go but now I think it even more. I just think there's more to him than just wanting to catch Dexter. Wouldn't surprise me if he was The Lopper! (Seinfeld reference since I don't know if the head severing killer has a name)

Haha, 'the lopper' is a good name! I don't like Quinn, either. There are defintely things that we don't know about him.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Have they resolved the whole 'Maria's got more money than me' issue?

Not really. Angel whined and cried about it and that was about it. Now it's just moved onto the Interal Affairs investigation.

I don't care about that either. Angel put somebody in a hospital. He SHOULD be arrested. But Maria has to save is ass from that fire too. He's become such a pussy I can't stand it.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:17 pm

I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but your comments are worrying me. Another average episode is NOT what this season needs at this stage...

I'm hoping this turns out to be a little like S2 of The Wire which had a very slow burn for the first 6 episodes but the subsequent 7 were up there with the very best. The doomsday scenario is that new showrunner Chip Johannessen just doesn't 'get' Dexter as many detractors of his previous show - 24 - had predicted. I had full confidence at the start of the season but that's being tested a little now.

I'm frustrated I won't be able to watch this week's ep until Friday at the earliest too... :x
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I haven't seen this week's episode yet, but your comments are worrying me. Another average episode is NOT what this season needs at this stage...

I'm hoping this turns out to be a little like S2 of The Wire which had a very slow burn for the first 6 episodes but the subsequent 7 were up there with the very best. The doomsday scenario is that new showrunner Chip Johannessen just doesn't 'get' Dexter as many detractors of his previous show - 24 - had predicted. I had full confidence at the start of the season but that's being tested a little now.

I'm frustrated I won't be able to watch this week's ep until Friday at the earliest too... :x

All I can say is I hope you're right about the second half of the season being brilliant, as it needs to be - though incidentally, I liked the first half of The Wire S2. :) As for the new showrunner, I'm afraid I'm going to put my hand up and say I'm worried.
Cake for Brains

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:25 pm

Cake for Brains wrote:All I can say is I hope you're right about the second half of the season being brilliant, as it needs to be - though incidentally, I liked the first half of The Wire S2. :) As for the new showrunner, I'm afraid I'm going to put my hand up and say I'm worried.

Managed to squeeze the episode into a precious hour of free time this half-term and I have to say, it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I genuinely feel like it's building towards something now. It's taking its sweet time, that's for sure, and we haven't had any 'killer' eps yet like we'd had by this stage in S3 (The Lion Sleeps Tonight) and S4 (Dex Takes a Holiday) but I'm confident by season's end that fans of the show will be hooked as usual.

Another problem S5 has is that it doesn't have any guest stars of the stature of Jimmy Smits or John Lithgow who were both superb in their respective seasons. I enjoyed Peter 'RoboCop' Weller's appearance at the end of the episode so hopefully he'll go some way to filling the void.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:19 am

Dexter S5 E06 - Everything is Illuminated - 8.5/10

That's more like it! Great to see Dex get his old appartment back to himself with those bloodslides tucked neatly away in the air-con again :D The way the ep started out I thought it was going to be a good old fashioned 'stalk and hunt' episode but there were a lot of unexpected twists along the way which always happen when the show is at its best. The ep veered from moments of intense excitement to run-of-the-mill 'character building' scenes which are becoming far too frequent. The usual disposable Batista/LaGuerta scenes dragged the episode down too - the actual 'Dexter' stuff in the episode was top notch. I loved the way the seemingly unresolvable situation developing throughout the episode was dealt with in the end, and there was more great stuff between Dexter and Harrison which has been one of the saving graces of an otherwise lacklustre season so far (Harrison's first words cracked me up!)

Hopefully the show's getting back on track now and we'll get more of these old style episodes between now and the end of S5. Seriously though, they just need to drop all that Batista/LaGuerta filler. Hopefully the producers will see the light pretty soon.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:38 am

I was just coming in here to post on this episode! I pretty much felt exactly the same way BS!

I really liked the stuff between Dex and Lumen. The scenes ranging from him
yelling at her for ruining his life to them "bonding" together sitting on the bathroom floor where Rita's was once spilled.
It was great.

I had forgotten in that short amount of time that Dex put his victim in his trunk. I was like "where the hell did he come from?" Then I remembered. :lol: Loved the way Dexter set that whole thing up. And Matsuka was at his piggish best with the "visuals!" Too funny.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:53 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I was just coming in here to post on this episode! I pretty much felt exactly the same way BS!

I really liked the stuff between Dex and Lumen. The scenes ranging from him
yelling at her for ruining his life to them "bonding" together sitting on the bathroom floor where Rita's was once spilled.
It was great.

Yeah, I was quite shocked how good Julia Stiles was this episode - I haven't thought much of her up until now.

That shot of Lumen in the bathtub was freaky wasn't it - she even looked like Rita for a moment. I enjoyed that bonding scene too.

I had forgotten in that short amount of time that Dex put his victim in his trunk. I was like "where the hell did he come from?" Then I remembered. :lol: Loved the way Dexter set that whole thing up. And Matsuka was at his piggish best with the "visuals!" Too funny.

Yeah, Vince visually describing all that pervy sex stuff was hilarious - I think a bit of humour's been lacking this season too. A lot of things came right this episode.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Just watched episode 4 - still a couple more to go before I'm all caught up!

I wasn't too impressed with most of the episode, it seemed to move at quite a slow pace, I thought. All of the stuff except things directly involving Dexter is kind of boring me, in all honesty. The Dexter-centric stuff is good, though - and am I being too hopeful that the little snippet of information from the girl at the end there means that things are going to get more interesting from now on?
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:31 pm

Heh, no one's mentioned this week's ep yet. I was wondering what other people thought before I weighed in. Back to the average fair this season has served up so far for me I'm afraid.

I have to admit if I wasn't a big fan of the show it may well be testing my resolve at this point. I'm sure the last few episodes will really build and it will be enjoyable enough but I don't think the new creative team understand what fans actually want from the show, and what keeps them watching. Last week's ep was great, it's a pity we've taken another step backwards again now.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:14 pm

I haven't seen it yet. There was a Packer game on Sunday night so I didn't get to watch it then and I haven't really been around much the last two nights. I saw the last 10 minutes of this weeks episode last night but haven't seen the start of it yet. I enjoyed the ending though! Hopefully I'll get to watch all it tonight and I'll let you know what I think.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:47 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I haven't seen it yet. There was a Packer game on Sunday night so I didn't get to watch it then and I haven't really been around much the last two nights. I saw the last 10 minutes of this weeks episode last night but haven't seen the start of it yet. I enjoyed the ending though! Hopefully I'll get to watch all it tonight and I'll let you know what I think.

I may be being too harsh. I just expected this season to really kick on from last week's ep but it felt like more of the same to me.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:25 am

Just watched episodes 5 & 6 - wow, no. 6 was really good! Starting to watch no. 7 now.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:17 am

Just finished episode 7 - I thought it was pretty good, actually. Not as good as last week's, but definitely better than the first five of this season IMHO.
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion