Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dexter thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Dexter thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:57 pm

I'm sorry, I'm so excited that the new season is about to begin that I've got all carried away and had to make a special thread! :D

I've just seen a great clip from it on YouTube, called 'Never make a scene' - I know I posted this on the TV thread too, but now I want to post it on my new Dexter thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdpLx7I8iVs
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Re: Dexter thread

Postby kat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:58 pm

you can never post enough Dexter, so excited I need my fix, rewatches are not enough
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby woggle » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:59 pm

Is this the link for season 5??? if so i may see it in about a year or so once i catch up ..lol will get to season 2 at the weekend i expect once ive worked my way thru the sopranos .
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:00 pm

woggle wrote:Is this the link for season 5??? if so i may see it in about a year or so once i catch up ..lol will get to season 2 at the weekend i expect once ive worked my way thru the sopranos .

It's just a clip from the beginning of S5, but don't click it until you've seen the end of S4, as it's a huge spoiler!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:01 pm

kat wrote:you can never post enough Dexter, so excited I need my fix, rewatches are not enough

Yeah, actually I can't ever remember being this excited about a TV show. Part of me hopes this will be the last season and they go out on a high, another part of me wants them to squeeze at least a sixth season out of it too.
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:03 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
kat wrote:you can never post enough Dexter, so excited I need my fix, rewatches are not enough

Yeah, actually I can't ever remember being this excited about a TV show. Part of me hopes this will be the last season and they go out on a high, another part of me wants them to squeeze at least a sixth season out of it too.

If they do squeeze a sixth season out, I have a horrible feeling that it will just taint the previous seasons, and the only other show I get this excited about is Top Gear, and even more so for the F1 season (both of which are shocking obviously ;) )
kat

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:06 pm

kat wrote:If they do squeeze a sixth season out, I have a horrible feeling that it will just taint the previous seasons, and the only other show I get this excited about is Top Gear, and even more so for the F1 season (both of which are shocking obviously ;) )

Hehe, we'll have to agree to disagree there, I can't stand Top Gear - well, more precisely - Clarkson. :pukeright:

I used to climb out of bed at stupid o'clock in the morning to watch F1 when I was a student, but I don't have the luxury of being able to do that any more. :?

You're right about Dexter, I think it needs to finish after this season. But I'll miss it. :(
Dorset Girl

Postby kat » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:11 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
kat wrote:If they do squeeze a sixth season out, I have a horrible feeling that it will just taint the previous seasons, and the only other show I get this excited about is Top Gear, and even more so for the F1 season (both of which are shocking obviously ;) )

Hehe, we'll have to agree to disagree there, I can't stand Top Gear - well, more precisely - Clarkson. :pukeright:

I used to climb out of bed at stupid o'clock in the morning to watch F1 when I was a student, but I don't have the luxury of being able to do that any more. :?

You're right about Dexter, I think it needs to finish after this season. But I'll miss it. :(

Hammond makes up for Clarkson, and I do like his books, he has a genuine passion for engineering which I can relate to, and the only think that prevents most live F1 viewing is work :( and I will miss Dexter, obviously but I really think it will be a future classic series, continously repeated for many years to come
kat

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:16 pm

I think Dexter probably needs to end, but i won't half be disappointed if Dexter and Breaking Bad both finish during this tv season.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:23 pm

I can't see Dexter going much past 5 seasons.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:49 pm

Hehe, what a great topic :D

What's all this tosh about Dexter needing to end this season? The thought terrifies me, I must admit! Only Breaking Bad gives me anything like the same 'buzz' when a new episode is available to watch - no other shows come even vaguely close.

The Sopranos lasted very well for 7 seasons and didn't outstay its welcome (not in my view at least) so why shouldn't it be the same for Dexter? I think as long as the writers/producers stay creative there's no reason why this couldn't be extended for another couple of seasons and still remain a credible drama without feeling like it's being drawn out for the sake of it.

Commercially at least, it'd be suicide for Showtime to 'choose' to end Dexter before they have to. It's by far their biggest ticket item and for a pay-per-view channel that's priceless. The only way I can see it ending is if MCH has had enough. Remember he had 5 consecutive years working on Six Feet Under prior to this so he'll have had ten years of running the same TV treadmill when season 5 of Dexter wraps.

Personally I'd like to see another couple of seasons at least and then maybe a movie franchise - that'd be perfect :D

Just 5 days to go before the new season begins - it's felt like an eternity with no 'pre-air' ep to get my teeth into this year!
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:13 pm

I just can't see how they can feesibly continue to have Dexter not get caught for many more years. I realize some serial killers go on for decades without getting caught but most of them don't continue to kill people in the same general area. People like Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer and Jeff Dahmer roamed around a bit. Plus it seems Dexter kills a lot more people than most serial killers do. And he's almost been caught more than once.

I love Dexter and I think it's a great show but I don't want them to drag it out past what is logical.

I know a lot of people that would disagree with you regarding The Sopranos too BS. Though I don't think it fell short at the end there are many, many people who thought it should have ended after 5 seasons.

Right now, the only show that I'll get really upset about ending is Mad Men. It's the only show on TV right now that I can't wait to watch. As much as I like Dexter, it doesn't have that same pull for me.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:19 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I just can't see how they can feesibly continue to have Dexter not get caught for many more years. I realize some serial killers go on for decades without getting caught but most of them don't continue to kill people in the same general area. People like Ted Bundy and the Green River Killer and Jeff Dahmer roamed around a bit. Plus it seems Dexter kills a lot more people than most serial killers do. And he's almost been caught more than once.

I don't think 'realism' concerns me too much about Dexter. Did Ted Bundy, the Green River Killer and Jeff Dahmer have Harry's code? :wink: It's a serious point though - as a forensics expert Dexter would be far more skilled than any of those actual serial killers - so I don't think it stretches credibility too much to have him avoid capture. Remember as well that most people he kills will simply be 'missing persons' and not investigated as rigorously as homicides. The writers have obviously had to put him in situations where he almost gets caught as this is a drama at the end of the day and they want to add a bit of suspense. Like I've said though, I don't think anything I've seen so far has shattered my suspension of disbelief.

I love Dexter and I think it's a great show but I don't want them to drag it out past what is logical.

Oh me neither. I hope the show goes out on a high - I just hope it's not quite yet :D

I know a lot of people that would disagree with you regarding The Sopranos too BS. Though I don't think it fell short at the end there are many, many people who thought it should have ended after 5 seasons.

Hmm, interesting. I thought The Sopranos went in an interesting new direction after S5 where Tony became positively unlikeable - especially in the second part of season 6. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion of course. Perhaps The Shield is a better comparison - another show that lasted 7 seasons where you couldn't believe the main character would keep 'getting away with it' in the way that he did. I have to admit though, that probably did peak with the season 5 finale. Seasons 6 and 7 were still excellent though.

Right now, the only show that I'll get really upset about ending is Mad Men. It's the only show on TV right now that I can't wait to watch. As much as I like Dexter, it doesn't have that same pull for me.

I'd put Dexter, Breaking Bad and Sons of Anarchy above Mad Men currently, purely in terms of my own enjoyment. I do love Mad Men though and you can't argue against the quality of the show.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby kat » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:39 pm

Sons of Anarchy is definitley the show at the top of my list of shows that shouldn't finish yet
kat

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Here's a nice promo for the new season...

Apparently you can 'preview' the latest ep if you book into a Sheraton Hotel.

So, do you fancy booking a hotel room with me DG? :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:45 pm

you know, BS, i think i'm probably with you on letting it run until it's run its course with writers and/or actor. I don't have a problem with any completely thought out season being made, irresepective of how long he's been doing the serial killing and what's preceded the season. I'm probably only worried about Dex being too 'cuddly' a character, if you get what i mean. After all, he's ultimately a serial killer. Don't want him to be the type of character who suddenly becomes a fluffy toy or set of action vehicles and plastic playsets in toys'r'us (like so many other 'adult' licences) :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:49 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:you know, BS, i think i'm probably with you on letting it run until it's run its course with writers and/or actor. I don't have a problem with any completely thought out season being made, irresepective of how long he's been doing the serial killing and what's preceded the season. I'm probably only worried about Dex being too 'cuddly' a character, if you get what i mean. After all, he's ultimately a serial killer. Don't want him to be the type of character who suddenly becomes a fluffy toy or set of action vehicles and plastic playsets in toys'r'us (like so many other 'adult' licences) :lol:

Heh, well that's happening already with the plethora of merchandise Showtime are currently milking out of the series, but to be honest I don't mind that too much. As long as Showtime are making serious money from the show they're likely to do everything in their power to keep it going, and I'm confident the creative team behind the show can keep it fresh.

My birthday's this week - wonder if my missus has bought me the Dexter bobble-head set I asked for :lol:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:52 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:you know, BS, i think i'm probably with you on letting it run until it's run its course with writers and/or actor. I don't have a problem with any completely thought out season being made, irresepective of how long he's been doing the serial killing and what's preceded the season. I'm probably only worried about Dex being too 'cuddly' a character, if you get what i mean. After all, he's ultimately a serial killer. Don't want him to be the type of character who suddenly becomes a fluffy toy or set of action vehicles and plastic playsets in toys'r'us (like so many other 'adult' licences) :lol:

Heh, well that's happening already with the plethora of merchandise Showtime are currently milking out of the series, but to be honest I don't mind that too much. As long as Showtime are making serious money from the show they're likely to do everything in their power to keep it going, and I'm confident the creative team behind the show can keep it fresh.

My birthday's this week - wonder if my missus has bought me the Dexter bobble-head set I asked for :lol:

As long as merchandise doesn't compromise the direction they can take his character on the show. Once they bow to the marketeers all will definitely be lost. Let's hope they can keep him fairly dark and scary.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:So, do you fancy booking a hotel room with me DG? :wink:

Specifically to see Dexter, or is that just a general question? ;)

Either way - sure. :P
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:35 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

Great stuff. I'll be sure to bring my 'Dexter Dildo' with me :D

Erm, it was a gift...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:32 pm

Opening minute of Dexter S5 E01

That was pretty disturbing...
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:21 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Opening minute of Dexter S5 E01

Argh, can't watch this! My mobile broadband's got a low download limit on it. I'll have to wait until I'm in the office tomorrow.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:22 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

Great stuff. I'll be sure to bring my 'Dexter Dildo' with me :D

Erm, it was a gift...

Jeez, there are all sorts of comments I could make about that! Unfortunately, none of them are suitable to be printed on this thread. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:58 am

Dorset Girl wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Opening minute of Dexter S5 E01

Argh, can't watch this! My mobile broadband's got a low download limit on it. I'll have to wait until I'm in the office tomorrow.

You won't like it. It's the baby's cry that got me.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:13 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:You won't like it. It's the baby's cry that got me.

Okay, well given that I'm 200 miles away from my daughter and missing her like carzy at the moment, maybe I won't watch it! :(
Dorset Girl

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion