Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Dexter thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Dexter thread

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:47 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Nothing in Dexter has ever turned my stomach in quite the same way as what I've seen of Breaking Bad so far, though! Yuk, I can't get those partially dissolved body parts out of my mind. :pukeright:

:lol: Good point! I don't think there's quite as much killing in BB, though what there is is more explicit...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 pm

Though both Dexter and Breaking Bad have had their moments, the one that I still can't watch and that makes me cringe more than anything isn't even a murder. In fact we don't even see all that much. It's the John Deere lawn mower incident in Mad Men's Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency. I can't even watch that scene without my stomach flipping.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:52 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Though both Dexter and Breaking Bad have had their moments, the one that I still can't watch and that makes me cringe more than anything isn't even a murder. In fact we don't even see all that much. It's the John Deere lawn mower incident in Mad Men's Guy Walks Into an Advertising Agency. I can't even watch that scene without my stomach flipping.

Yeah, that was horrible. I've seen far worse on film, too. What I've seen on TV has been quite mild by comparison.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Oct 01, 2010 4:09 am

For anyone who's interested, here are the two Preview Clips for episode 2 on Sunday.

Nice to see Dex back in his old apartment :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:22 pm

Dexter S5 - "Hello Bandit" 6/10

Hmmm....

It's too early to say as we're only two episodes in, but something just seems off so far this series. It doesn't feel like the proper storyline has kicked in yet, if that makes sense. I'm afraid this episode just felt like filler to me.

I don't mind all the domestic stuff, but I like it to be balanced with a meaty Homicide manhunt, or an interesting 'big bad' or Dex doing what he does best.

And the Debs/Quinn and Batista/LaGuerta stuff is really dull.

Spoiler: show
Still, the kids leaving to live with their grandparents suggests that the Dexter single father soapy storyline is done, which hopefully means things will gather some momentum next week.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:41 pm

I totally agree Cakey. I was bored with it. The stuff with Angel and LaGuerta was ridiculous and there is something even more weird about Quinn this season than there was last season. He even looks weird!

There is still is not a female character on this show that I even remotely like.

Dexter still have
Harrison at home
so we'll have to deal with that but hopefully
Dex goes back to killing soon!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:38 am

I'd give this week's ep 7/10 I reckon.

I agree with a lot of your comments Cat and Cakey. If Dexter never ends up winning the Best Drama EMMY it will be entirely down to the supporting cast in my view who are pretty much cardboard cutout characters. I have no interest in the Angel/LaGuerta relationship either, although I think something interesting might happen with Quinn this season...

I think Dex will have to kill him, which will be going a level above anything he's done up until now

It's only the second episode of the run and obviously there's still some fallout after
Rita's death
to deal with. I had a feeling that might happen with Astor and Cody. I know a nanny comes into the series as a regular character pretty soon to look after Harrison so that will once again free Dexter up in a way he hasn't been since S1/S2.

I'm sure we'll be getting more of the show's signature excitement and tension pretty soon. I don't share your optimism that the 'Road Kill Killer' will be dealt with in a timely manner, however, as I think he's a regular this season. I hope I'm mistaken though as I thought they were moving away from the formulaic 'serial killer of the year' this season :?
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Dex killing
Quinn wouldn't be something completely different
. He was on the verge of killing
Doakes.
Granted he didn't kill him but he was close.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:27 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Dex killing
Quinn wouldn't be something completely different
. He was on the verge of killing
Doakes.
Granted he didn't kill him but he was close.

I don't think it was ever put forward as a possibility that Dex would kill
Doakes.
He was going for the 'frame job' until
Lyla killed him.

I definitely think Dexter killing a fellow member of Homicide simply in the interest of self-preservation would be taking things up a level. The show only works because of Dexter's likeability and the fact that he only kills people who deserve it. I think it would be a very interesting turn to take - maybe seeing Dex slip into the 'dark side' before concluding the show.

At the end of the first season his brother said "You can't be a killer and a hero - it doesn't work that way" - it'd be good to see the show come full circle with that at some point.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 pm

I disagree. I think he was going to kill
Doakes before he got the idea to simply frame him as the Bay Harbor Butcher. Once he decided to frame him he dropped his idea to kill him (because Dex can't kill for the sake of killing) but Lila did it for him. (thinking she was helping him).

If he ends up
killing Quinn for no other reason than that Quinn
finds him out that will soon be the end of the show. Dexter can't start killing people for the sake of killing them or even for his own preservation. It doesn't sit well with him.
Even when he comes close to killing someone for his own preservation it doesn't sit well with him. He killed Miguel Prado because he was going to kill LaGuerta and he killed that attorney but he also had to kill Prado or risk being exposed.
That whole mess did not sit well.

On another note: Just how many serial killers and psychos are there in Miami anyway? :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:37 am

We'll have to agree to differ on this one Cat. I know the
Doakes
situation was similar but I don't think Dexter would have actually gone through with killing him as he never mentions it as something he intends to do. The only intention we see is him attempting the frame job. Dex even says something like "No matter how much I close my eyes and pretend I can't honestly say he deserves it", or words to that effect.

Anyway, my
Quinn
theory is probably way off the mark anyway. This show has always managed to spring a few surprises on me at season's end and I hope this one os no different (apart from S3 maybe - that was a bit predictable).

CatNamedRudy wrote:On another note: Just how many serial killers and psychos are there in Miami anyway? :lol:

:lol:

Well, I'm not sure this stat is correct but if Miami really does only have a solve rate of around 20% for homicides there could be dozens of serial killers operating down there and no one would know!
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:30 pm

Preview Clip of S5x03

Looks like creepy road kill guy will be around for a while yet. Seems a strange direction to take the show in, on the surface.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Cake for Brains » Mon Oct 11, 2010 9:51 pm

Dexter S5 - "Practically Perfect" 7.5/10

I certainly enjoyed this episode more than the first two, though I still think the pace was a little off. Much slower than what we're used to.

On the bright side, things started to get interesting towards the end, suggesting we might see a real upturn in the action next week. In fact, the preview for next week's episode looks absolutely awesome.

And the new Mary Poppins-esque nanny... hmm,
she's too nice. I predict a total character transformation over the course of the series.

Favourite moment:
Dexter standing over Boyd's tranquilised body and learning his son has just taken his first steps.

All the support character storylines continue to bore I'm afraid.
"I don't want to go." - The Tenth Doctor
Cake for Brains

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:03 pm

I loved last night's Dexter. I thought it was definitely back to old form Dexter. Far better than the first two episodes this season.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:32 pm

Dexter S5E03 - Practically Perfect - 8.5/10

I'd agree this was the most exciting ep of the three so far this season, and certainly the most like the Dexter we know and love. I was pleased the whole
Road Kill Killer
is out of the way now - I was worried we were going to get another 'serial killer of the year' like we've had for the last four seasons - something the producers specifically said they weren't doing this year. Looks like there's going to be another Doakes-style dilemma facing Dex next episode where he has to choose between killing an innocent in the interest of self-preservation or risk someone else knowing his dark secret. I agree with Cakey that the moment of the episode was where Dex was
sent a picture of Harrison's first steps whilst standing over the body of his next victim

I hope they take the nanny story in a direction we don't expect, rather than as Cakey suggests simply have her turn into some nutjob. But then I don't want her to be simply a substitute Rita either. I loved Dexter's line about leaving messages on his fridge, which linked directly back to the pilot episode; that was a nice touch. I also thought for a moment that the dreary LaGuerta/Batista sub-plot may have turned into something interesting when
Internal Affairs
turned up - I hoped they may be investigating LaGuerta's money but sadly it looks like yet another 'relationship' development we could do without. The reason shows like Breaking Bad and Mad Men will always pick up Best Drama nods in front of Dexter is due to all the unnecessary 'padding' on this show with secondary characters most of the viewing public couldn't care less about. I think the Quinn story strand is going in a very interesting direction though (probably because it actually relates to Dexter himself) - I look forward to seeing how that one plays out.

All in all, I'm glad to see the show get back to something like its best/most exciting after dealing with the S4 fallout.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:44 pm

I'm very interested to see where the Quinn storyline goes.
I wonder if Trinity's son will ID him as Kyle Butler. Somehow I think he's glad his father is dead and if he thinks "Kyle" killed him he may not want to turn on him.

I'd be perfectly happy if LaGuerta and Angel walked off into the Everglades and were devoured by gators! I used to love Angel but they have turned his character into a pussy whipped whiney pants and I don't like him at all. Also I still hate all the female characters on this show. :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:54 pm

I've got episodes 2 & 3 ready to watch, but haven't seen them yet. Breaking Bad has kind of taken over from Dexter, as I only usually get to watch about an hour of TV a day. It shows that the first episode of S5 wasn't as fantastic as I'd expected it to be though, I suppose - otherwise I'd have been itching to watch the next one.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Just watched episode 2 - hmm, it didn't have me on the edge of my seat. I agree that the storylines with Batista / LaGuerta and Debbie / Quinn are superfluous, somehow - just 'filler'.

Interesting to read that there will be a nanny for Harrison - at least they're coming up with a plausible reason for Dexter to not be with him all the time. Most TV parents seem to have plenty of free time I've noticed, even single parents. Sometimes there's no explanation for where the kids are, even - they're just not there. I know it's a completely different type of show, but Rachel in 'Friends', for instance - Emma was hardly ever with her - where was she?!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Oct 15, 2010 11:23 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Just watched episode 2 - hmm, it didn't have me on the edge of my seat. I agree that the storylines with Batista / LaGuerta and Debbie / Quinn are superfluous, somehow - just 'filler'.

Interesting to read that there will be a nanny for Harrison - at least they're coming up with a plausible reason for Dexter to not be with him all the time. Most TV parents seem to have plenty of free time I've noticed, even single parents. Sometimes there's no explanation for where the kids are, even - they're just not there. I know it's a completely different type of show, but Rachel in 'Friends', for instance - Emma was hardly ever with her - where was she?!

I'm sure you'll enjoy it more as the series progresses, I just think the first two eps had some fallout from last season's finale.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:11 pm

Just watched episode 3 - yes, a definite improvement on the last one IMHO.
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:35 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Dexter-Beauty and the Beast 7.5/10

Meh. I was expecting more since last week's episode showed so much promise.

I like the shape this season's taking actually - it's nice to see them attempt something a bit different. The relationship between Dexter and the new women in his life is going to be interesting this year. So far the series hasn't been renewed for a 6th season so if this is to be the last one I can imagine Dexter's ultimate demise will be caused by
him not killing Lumen
and the Quinn angle is interesting too - he's obviously not going to let his suspicions about Dexter die down (even though I thought the photo ID scene with the Mitchell kid was a copout).

This has happened with every season of Dexter so far. The episodes start slowly and build to a deafening crescendo by the end of the season - hopefully it will be the same again this year. I'd give the ep another solid 8/10.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:45 pm

This is the first time I've actually been bored with the start of Dexter season. I was really hopeful after that 3rd episode but I found myself let down again.

I agree that his not killing Lumen may very well come back to haunt him. I hope what I'm getting from the previews is wrong though. It almost looks like they are doing a similar thing with Lumen that they did with Miquel. She wants to "help" Dexter and it doesn't exactly work.
I really hope they aren't going in that direction.

And it is just me or is Deb (whose real name I can't think of) skinnier than she used to be? I mean like almost to the point of being scary thin?
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:55 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:This is the first time I've actually been bored with the start of Dexter season. I was really hopeful after that 3rd episode but I found myself let down again.

I agree that his not killing Lumen may very well come back to haunt him. I hope what I'm getting from the previews is wrong though. It almost looks like they are doing a similar thing with Lumen that they did with Miquel. She wants to "help" Dexter and it doesn't exactly work.
I really hope they aren't going in that direction.

I'm certainly not bored, but I'd agree this has been the slowest start to a season yet.

And it is just me or is Deb (whose real name I can't think of) skinnier than she used to be? I mean like almost to the point of being scary thin?

Jennifer Carpenter - MCH's missus! Heh, she looks no skinnier to me than before - she's always been painfully thin. I suppose MCH's cancer scare may have affected her in that way, but like I said she looks the same to me.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:51 pm

I knew she and MCH were married and maybe you're right and hte cancer thing is taking a toll on her too. She just looks skinnier than normal to me. I didn't really notice it until this episode. Maybe I just never paid any attention before because I hate that character. :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:21 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I knew she and MCH were married and maybe you're right and hte cancer thing is taking a toll on her too. She just looks skinnier than normal to me. I didn't really notice it until this episode. Maybe I just never paid any attention before because I hate that character. :lol:

I just think it's coz you're a woman and women notice these things :D
Mr Blue Sky

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion