Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

You learn something new every day

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

You learn something new every day

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 pm

At least, that's how the saying goes! So what have you learned (or 'learnt' as we Brits like to say :D )?

Personally, I have learnt that the makers of Mint and Tea Tree shampoo should put a big warning on the bottle that says users must wear swimming goggles whilst using their product. Ouch, my poor eyes!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Re: You learn something new every day

Postby Lil » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:00 am

Nice thread! Agree with you there, DG, on the shampoo front. I use Pantene but the same rule applies - ouch.

I learned today that it's always important to wear underwear because you never know what could happen. Semper Ubi Sub Ubi!
Lil

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:55 am

Dorset Girl wrote:At least, that's how the saying goes! So what have you learned (or 'learnt' as we Brits like to say :D )?

Personally, I have learnt that the makers of Mint and Tea Tree shampoo should put a big warning on the bottle that says users must wear swimming goggles whilst using their product. Ouch, my poor eyes!

Is that the Original Source stuff? I do like their Lime shower gel.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:28 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:At least, that's how the saying goes! So what have you learned (or 'learnt' as we Brits like to say :D )?

Is that the Original Source stuff? I do like their Lime shower gel.

Yep, that's the stuff.

Today, I learned that my new manager is Boris Johnson, only younger.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:40 pm

We were watching the fairly medioicre Three Men And A Little Lady movie last week (sequel to Three Men And A Baby starring Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg - as if you didn't know!) and casually mentioned that it must be 20 years since that was released and i was surprised that they hadn't yet come up with a third installment featuring some sort of Father(s) Of The Bride scenario.

Just been looking on imdb this morning and i've found that Steve Guttenberg is talking about actually doing Three Men And A Bride!

Underwhelming news to most, i'm sure :D

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:46 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:We were watching the fairly medioicre Three Men And A Little Lady movie last week (sequel to Three Men And A Baby starring Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg - as if you didn't know!) and casually mentioned that it must be 20 years since that was released and i was surprised that they hadn't yet come up with a third installment featuring some sort of Father(s) Of The Bride scenario.

Just been looking on imdb this morning and i've found that Steve Guttenberg is talking about actually doing Three Men And A Bride!

Hehe, I love the part in Three Men and a Little Lady when they stop to ask a Devonshire farmer for directions. He gives them a detailed description of a road with blossom on the hedges, etc., and they're getting impatient. Then, after finishing the description, the farmer says 'Now, don't take that road.'

:lol: LMAO!
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:21 pm

I learnt you should always move your fingers out of the way when quickly and forcefully shutting your wardrobe door. Ouch! :( I also learnt that the bacon rolls in my school canteen are rather nice :)
!Amz!

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:45 pm

I learned that I can be a real pain in the ass about 98% of the time.

This qualifies as knowledge because I originally suspected it to be 96%.
barnaclelapse

Postby Lil » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:56 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:I learned that I can be a real pain in the ass about 98% of the time.

Well, duh.
Lil

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:23 pm

This morning I learned that no matter what kind of device I try to rig up, I can't zip the damn formal dress I bought for a dinner I have to go to on Thursday night. I'm going to have to stop at my sister's house and have her zip me up before I go!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:02 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:This morning I learned that no matter what kind of device I try to rig up, I can't zip the damn formal dress I bought for a dinner I have to go to on Thursday night. I'm going to have to stop at my sister's house and have her zip me up before I go!

:lol: You could always call 911. A few months back, I saw a list of ridiculous calls people had made to the Emergency Services, and one of them was from a woman who got her zip stuck!

By they way, photo of Cat in dress required!
Dorset Girl

Postby Hans the German Butler » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:10 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:We were watching the fairly medioicre Three Men And A Little Lady movie last week (sequel to Three Men And A Baby starring Tom Selleck, Ted Danson and Steve Guttenberg - as if you didn't know!) and casually mentioned that it must be 20 years since that was released and i was surprised that they hadn't yet come up with a third installment featuring some sort of Father(s) Of The Bride scenario.

I heard Steve Gutenberg talking about this on the radio about 6 months ago. Apparently, his character Michael is going to have come out of the closet in this installment. He was the sensitive one in the first two - so there's nowt like playing to the stereotypes is there!

It must have taken a lot of work behind the scenes for the 'stone-cutters' to get that commissioned.

"Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star? We do! We do!" :lol:
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby kat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:16 pm

not exactly learnt but realised the place where the WI confrence in Calendar Girls is filmed in Methodist Central Hall in London, spent many a dull hour there :lol: at Breakout (MAYC Methodist Association of Youth Clubs) weekends, shockingly I was deemed a responsible adult :lol:
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby insaneasperger » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:46 pm

I've learnt that I now get a cold weather payment so I am hoping for more cold weather!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:49 pm

Today I learned that I want to punch some of my Republican friends in the face. Well, no, I didn't just learn that today but it was reinforced today!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:29 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Today I learned that I want to punch some of my Republican friends in the face. Well, no, I didn't just learn that today but it was reinforced today!

If someone had asked me a year ago if I saw Massachusetts going Republican I'd have thought they were crazy!

I don't really get what the big deal is about trying to provide health coverage to the estimated 40million Americans who don't have it. Why are so many people going postal over it?
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Hans the German Butler wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Today I learned that I want to punch some of my Republican friends in the face. Well, no, I didn't just learn that today but it was reinforced today!

If someone had asked me a year ago if I saw Massachusetts going Republican I'd have thought they were crazy!

I don't really get what the big deal is about trying to provide health coverage to the estimated 40million Americans who don't have it. Why are so many people going postal over it?

Because they think it's going to cost them money and they don't seem to understand that we ALREADY pay for people who don't have health insurance by our own rising insurance costs. Also, they seem to have this idea that the govt. is going to start "rationing" health care. Again, they don't realize that health care is already rationed. It's called priorities. Then you have morons like Sarah Palin out there telling everyone that the govt. is going to have "Death Panels" running around unplugging people at nursing homes. It's just so ridiculous.

They want governent "OUT" of their business. Well, we already have govt. run health care. It's called medicare, medicaid, BadgerCare, Title 19 etc......... Also, when they say they want govt. out of their business, it makes me wonder how often they depend on other aspects of the govt. Like when they call the police or fire department or when their kids go to public schools or when they drive on the roads or when the snow plow clears those roads for them.

People in the US are so responsive to scare tactics it nauseates me. But it's what Republicans thrive on. Scare people into doing what you want them to do!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:41 pm

I heard a quote in The West Wing that Medicaid sees only 1% of its budget go on administration with provision via the private sector being significantly higher - which essentially means it would be cheaper for people to opt out of paying an insurance company and opt instead to pay a government medical insurance which allows them to extend Medicaid. I don't know how true that is, but I would imagine it would be quite dangerous for the writers to make that one up.

I'm not personally all for private health care because it naturally introduces a multi-tier system, where you only get the best health care if you have the coverage. If you don't have the coverage you get what you can afford. Sarah Palin talks about death panels but surely a system in which you can be left to die (or take your chances at a mercy hospital or equivalent if you have one nearby) if you have no cover; or have your treatment stopped because your cover's run out is more akin to a death panel. It becomes purely a business decision, which undermines the humanitarian basis of the hippocratic oath.

I don't think the UK system is the best in the world and I would sooner see a system here that promotes a choice of using private or social health care. But a system that is free at the point of use is such a beneficial safety net. I don't think you can divorce business from the situation altogether as market forces will dictate salaries and supply costs; but if each hospital and its subsiduary clinics was a private entity that had to compete for taxpayer funding based on results, quality of care and continuous improvement that could provide the happy medium between the two. I can't say I would be especially disappointed if these hospitals were given the right to refuse care in certain government prescribed circumstances - such as not bothering to try to resuscitate heroin addicts who OD. But that opens other ethical questions about whether you can refuse care to alcoholics, smokers and the obese so I'm not sure that one's a runner.
Hans the German Butler

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:19 am

I do think that having a private option is important to the equation and I know that is one thing people are freaked out about. The way the bill is currently written, I believe a private option is available.

One of the major obstacles here is all the misinformation out there. And part of that is because this administration hasn't been out there presenting the actual facts. Rather, they let the misinformation fester and boil until it's so out of control they can't do much about it. Even Town Hall meetings are ineffective now because they just degenerate into shouting matches and nobody listens to anybody.
CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:I do think that having a private option is important to the equation and I know that is one thing people are freaked out about. The way the bill is currently written, I believe a private option is available.

One of the major obstacles here is all the misinformation out there. And part of that is because this administration hasn't been out there presenting the actual facts. Rather, they let the misinformation fester and boil until it's so out of control they can't do much about it. Even Town Hall meetings are ineffective now because they just degenerate into shouting matches and nobody listens to anybody.

That's exactly what it is. People who only watch Fox News or listen to Rush Limbaugh live in a little bizarro world where the facts are entirely different from what they are in the real world. Then, those people go and talk to their friends and neighbors, compounding the problem exponentially. Like the homily in Doubt about the old woman with the feather pillow.

In spite of all that, it was not popular opposition that killed the public option. Poll after poll after poll showed that an overwhelming majority of Americans were in favor of it. What killed the public option was the tremendous power of the insurance lobbyists in Washington, on both sides of the aisle. The current Senate bill is an absolute gift to the insurance industry, with a pretty little bow on top.

Most telling of all, several polls asked respondents two different questions:

1. Do you support the public option?
2. Are you in favor of having the choice either to buy into a government-run insurance program or to purchase private insurance? [which, of course, is the very definition of the public option]

The percentage of positive responses to each question differed by as much as 30 points. Guess which one more respondents said they supported. Which shows just how effective the disinformation campaign has been.
jrsightes

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:31 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I do think that having a private option is important to the equation and I know that is one thing people are freaked out about. The way the bill is currently written, I believe a private option is available.

It seems like it's always been like that?

I don't know. That's just how I've always taken it.
barnaclelapse

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:25 pm

I know they're cherrypicking the idiots for comic value, but i chuckle when some tv shows over here show clips of American healthcare protesters running around screaming "I don't want to live in Russia! i don't want to live in Russia!" :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:13 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I know they're cherrypicking the idiots for comic value, but i chuckle when some tv shows over here show clips of American healthcare protesters running around screaming "I don't want to live in Russia! i don't want to live in Russia!" :lol:

Ridiculous isn't it? I don't even know what the hell that means!
CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I know they're cherrypicking the idiots for comic value, but i chuckle when some tv shows over here show clips of American healthcare protesters running around screaming "I don't want to live in Russia! i don't want to live in Russia!" :lol:

How I wish they were cherrypicking. That insanity is a lot more prevalent here than you think.
jrsightes

Postby barnaclelapse » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:12 pm

I learned that Dwight Yoakam's music is fucking awesome.
barnaclelapse

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion