Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

British/American Translation Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:50 am

CatNamedRudy wrote::lol: I'm sure we have some sort of equivelent to that but I don't know what it is!


Here it is. I tried it, and it just tastes like regular chocolate. Sort of a gimmick, if you ask me.
User avatar
jrsightes
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:53 am

jrsightes wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote::lol: I'm sure we have some sort of equivelent to that but I don't know what it is!


Here it is. I tried it, and it just tastes like regular chocolate. Sort of a gimmick, if you ask me.


Nice to "see" you jr!

I have had that Hershey thing. Doesn't do a lot for me.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:56 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
jrsightes wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote::lol: I'm sure we have some sort of equivelent to that but I don't know what it is!


Here it is. I tried it, and it just tastes like regular chocolate. Sort of a gimmick, if you ask me.


Nice to "see" you jr!

I have had that Hershey thing. Doesn't do a lot for me.



:lol: Long time, no "see"
User avatar
jrsightes
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:48 am

Hey jr! How are you?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Hey jr! How are you?


Hey, DG! Never been better. How are things in your world?
User avatar
jrsightes
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:37 pm

jrsightes wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Hey jr! How are you?


Hey, DG! Never been better. How are things in your world?


Glad to hear that! Yes, things good here too thank you. Some major life changes in the past year, but mostly for the better. :)

Now you're back, please stay around?! :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby kat » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:53 pm

jrsightes wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Hey jr! How are you?


Hey, DG! Never been better. How are things in your world?


glad to hear you're good, nice to have you back
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
User avatar
kat
 
Posts: 4416
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: the dark side of the moon

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Lil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:07 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
jrsightes wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote::lol: I'm sure we have some sort of equivelent to that but I don't know what it is!


Here it is. I tried it, and it just tastes like regular chocolate. Sort of a gimmick, if you ask me.


Nice to "see" you jr!

I have had that Hershey thing. Doesn't do a lot for me.


Never tried it but I don't think I will. Why would I want to eat something that looks like it has perforations?! The more chocolate, the better. Don't put holes in my damn chocolate!
User avatar
Lil
 
Posts: 9936
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am
Location: New York

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:52 am

kat wrote:
jrsightes wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Hey jr! How are you?


Hey, DG! Never been better. How are things in your world?


glad to hear you're good, nice to have you back


Thanks, kat!
User avatar
jrsightes
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:55 am

Dorset Girl wrote:
jrsightes wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Hey jr! How are you?


Hey, DG! Never been better. How are things in your world?


Glad to hear that! Yes, things good here too thank you. Some major life changes in the past year, but mostly for the better. :)

Now you're back, please stay around?! :D



I'll try my best! I certainly have missed talking to you all.
User avatar
jrsightes
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Lil » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:34 am

Welcome back JR! Have missed ya!
User avatar
Lil
 
Posts: 9936
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am
Location: New York

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:40 am

Lil wrote:Welcome back JR! Have missed ya!


Thanks, Lil!
User avatar
jrsightes
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby tenpercenter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 pm

british - riot!
amercian - apathy
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter
 
Posts: 1045
Joined: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:55 am

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:26 pm

Weird one, this - I noticed when we were talking about Lego the other day, Cat, you said 'Legos'. Is it a Brit / American thing I wonder, or is it just me that doesn't pluralise it?

So, would you say:

There are pieces of Lego all over the floor

or

There are Legos all over the floor?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:40 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Weird one, this - I noticed when we were talking about Lego the other day, Cat, you said 'Legos'. Is it a Brit / American thing I wonder, or is it just me that doesn't pluralise it?

So, would you say:

There are pieces of Lego all over the floor

or

There are Legos all over the floor?


This.

More than one Lego are Legos. :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:42 pm

tenpercenter wrote:british - riot!
amercian - apathy


I don't even know what this means.

Is this implying that because American youths aren't out tearing apart our cities that we are somehow apathetic?
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:54 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
tenpercenter wrote:british - riot!
amercian - apathy


I don't even know what this means.

Is this implying that because American youths aren't out tearing apart our cities that we are somehow apathetic?


Heh, strange post. I guess there's a joke hidden in there somehwere (let me just make a quick call to Cornell to borrow their equipment and check). Anyone who can remember not too far back to the 1992 LA riots puts into perspective the scale of the recent London unrest. Anyone can be destructive for the sake of it.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:34 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
tenpercenter wrote:british - riot!
amercian - apathy


I don't even know what this means.

Is this implying that because American youths aren't out tearing apart our cities that we are somehow apathetic?


Heh, strange post. I guess there's a joke hidden in there somehwere (let me just make a quick call to Cornell to borrow their equipment and check). Anyone who can remember not too far back to the 1992 LA riots puts into perspective the scale of the recent London unrest. Anyone can be destructive for the sake of it.


:lol:

Yep. The L.A. riots were another one of those things I kept looking at thinking "You're upset because a white guy got off scott free after beating the snot out of a black guy but you're tearing apart YOUR OWN neighborhoods?" This makes no sense at all. They should have been tearing up the snotty white rich areas like Brentwood and Malibu and not South Central LA!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:53 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Yep. The L.A. riots were another one of those things I kept looking at thinking "You're upset because a white guy got off scott free after beating the snot out of a black guy but you're tearing apart YOUR OWN neighborhoods?" This makes no sense at all. They should have been tearing up the snotty white rich areas like Brentwood and Malibu and not South Central LA!


It was crazy. And exactly the same in London. I didn't see too many parts of Chelsea, Knightsbridge, Oxford/Regent Street, etc, getting burned down. They were destroying the livelihoods of people from their own areas.

The LA riots always make me think of Bill Hicks's Arizona Bay cd. He got some good material out of that.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:41 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Weird one, this - I noticed when we were talking about Lego the other day, Cat, you said 'Legos'. Is it a Brit / American thing I wonder, or is it just me that doesn't pluralise it?

So, would you say:

There are pieces of Lego all over the floor

or

There are Legos all over the floor?


This.

More than one Lego are Legos. :lol:


I remember from a report I did in elementary school that the plural of Lego is "Lego."

Here is the official company line on the matter
(skip down to the last page).
User avatar
jrsightes
 
Posts: 1363
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:54 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:00 am

*Chuckle*

First of all, it's really cool that you did a report on Lego at school. Secondly, I love the fact you've provided a reference for your post! Cheers! :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:45 pm

As far as I'm concerned if the plural isn't Legos then it should be Legi! :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:54 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:As far as I'm concerned if the plural isn't Legos then it should be Legi! :lol:


:lol: Right, I'm going to use that from now on, love it!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:20 pm

Americans - if you call 'conkers' 'acorns', what do you call 'acorns'?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Americans - if you call 'conkers' 'acorns', what do you call 'acorns'?


I have no idea what a "conker" is. We call acorns, acorns! :lol:

Ahhh...Google images is my friend. It appears "Conkers" are chestnuts (though not the sweet type that you eat). They are not the same thing as acorns which are the "fruit" of the Oak tree.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.