Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

British/American Translation Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

British/American Translation Thread

Postby jrsightes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:28 pm

Credit goes to Dorset Girl for the fantastic suggestion.

Since this site is used on both sides of the Atlantic, and since we so frequently have "communications breakdowns" (your brother just gave me two hundred dollars, and now he's going to roll me over), it seems like it would be fun to discuss some of the variations in the words, phrases, and mechanics we use in our common tongue.

To start things rolling, I've noticed that in British English, there don't seem to be any collective nouns--only plural. For example, you would say "Metallica are playing at Madison Square Garden," while we would say "Metallica is playing at Madison Square Garden." The band may have several members, but it's still only one band, and it functions collectively as a singular noun.
jrsightes

Re: British/American Translation Thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:42 pm

Um - sorry to contradict you right off, but I'd say 'Metallica's playing' which I suppose is a contraction of 'Metallica is playing'. So anyone who says 'are' is just bad at grammar IMHO. :lol: Any other examples of this? (good choice of band by the way ;) )
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby jrsightes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Um - sorry to contradict you right off, but I'd say 'Metallica's playing' which I suppose is a contraction of 'Metallica is playing'. So anyone who says 'are' is just bad at grammar IMHO. :lol: Any other examples of this? (good choice of band by the way ;) )

I see it all the time in British newspapers and books.
jrsightes

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:45 pm

jrsightes wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Um - sorry to contradict you right off, but I'd say 'Metallica's playing' which I suppose is a contraction of 'Metallica is playing'. So anyone who says 'are' is just bad at grammar IMHO. :lol: Any other examples of this? (good choice of band by the way ;) )

I see it all the time in British newspapers and books.

So we've proved that most British people are bad at grammar. No new news there. Have you seen the 'apostrophe abuse' thread in the quizzes section? :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:55 pm

Ooh, here's an example of Brit / American language differences - cell phone and mobile phone. I've only ever heard Americans speak the words 'mobile phone' sarcastically, to take the piss out of the British.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Now I recall when I first starting posting here, MC used the term "HBO are......." instead of "HBO is......." and I thought he was just using poor grammar. But he told me that his way was correct in his world!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:00 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Ooh, here's an example of Brit / American language differences - cell phone and mobile phone. I've only ever heard Americans speak the words 'mobile phone' sarcastically, to take the piss out of the British.

Yeah, I don't know anyone who says "mobile phone." It's used officially, like in articles about the phones or in advertisements, but everyone calls them cell phones.
jrsightes

Postby jrsightes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:01 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:

Now I recall when I first starting posting here, MC used the term "HBO are......." instead of "HBO is......." and I thought he was just using poor grammar. But he told me that his way was correct in his world!

Yes! I see it everywhere. I knew I wasn't just going crazy...
jrsightes

Postby jrsightes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:02 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Ooh, here's an example of Brit / American language differences - cell phone and mobile phone. I've only ever heard Americans speak the words 'mobile phone' sarcastically, to take the piss out of the British.

Another uniquely British idiom.
jrsightes

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:04 pm

jrsightes wrote:

Is it? :D I like that one.

My American housemate used to be fascinated by the word 'bollocks', which she'd never heard before. In fact, she couldn't even pronounce it properly. I don't recall anyone having asked wtf we're on about when we've used it on here though, so maybe my housemate was just naive. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:05 pm

jrsightes wrote:

Yep.

For the most part, "piss" has only one meaning in the States. Unless you are saying something along the lines of being "pissed off". But we'd never use a term like "pissing down rain" like woggle always says and rarely do we refer to drinking as "getting pissed up."
CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
jrsightes wrote:

Is it? :D I like that one.

My American housemate used to be fascinated by the word 'bollocks', which she'd never heard before. In fact, she couldn't even pronounce it properly. I don't recall anyone having asked wtf we're on about when we've used it on here though, so maybe my housemate was just naive. :lol:

No, I haven't a clue what it means, but we don't always need to know what a particular word means in order to make sense of the sentence based on context.

But now that you've sparked my curiosity, what the hell is bollocks? My spell check is putting a squiggly red line under it, so it must not be in the American dicitionary.
jrsightes

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:09 pm

I love the word "bollocks".

It pretty much means "bullshit".
CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:18 pm

From the Daily Mail: The Labour Party are Dithering Their Way to Election Defeat

From the Telegraph: "Manchester United are missing something..."

We would say, "The Republican Party is dithering its way to election defeat" and "Tampa Bay is missing something..."
jrsightes

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:23 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I love the word "bollocks".

It really means 'testicles'.
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:28 pm

jrsightes wrote:

From the Daily Mail: The Labour Party are Dithering Their Way to Election Defeat

From the Telegraph: "Manchester United are missing something..."

We would say, "The Republican Party is dithering its way to election defeat" and "Tampa Bay is missing something..."

Okay, fair enough. I suppose, using one of the examples above, they're using 'Labour Party' to refer to the collection of people within it, rather than the entity itself. I'm with you, though - your way makes more sense.
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I love the word "bollocks".

It really means 'testicles'.

:lol: Somehow saying an argument is "testicles" as opposed to saying it's "bollocks" just doesn't work!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote::lol: Somehow saying an argument is "testicles" as opposed to saying it's "bollocks" just doesn't work!

:lol: 'Bollocks' is a good word though, isn't it! Kind of satisfying to say!
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:40 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote::lol: Somehow saying an argument is "testicles" as opposed to saying it's "bollocks" just doesn't work!

It's a great word.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:15 pm

Yep, i admit to interchanging the use of 'is' and 'are' at times when describing a collective that make an actual single entity. Usually dependent on the overall thing being talked about. Used to give me sleepless nights worrying about how to apply a possessive term to The Doors ;)

It actually (and i know some won't believe that i really am saying this :D ) doesn't really matter which way it's used as long as the intended message is clear - and that applies to various uses of punctuation, abbreviations, etc. I've been won over by incredibly 'grammatically correct' people, including Stephen Fry, and Suzie Dent of the Oxford English Dictionary, that language is fluid and 'correct' only applies to our own context. Literary scholars of hundreds of years ago would be just as horrified at our ravaged version of language. As long as a sentence isn't ambiguous to the point of causing any danger by not being understandable (which isn't too many places), then it doesn't generally matter too much.

I no longer worry about the position of apostrophes (although i still like to look out for them at the market), the abbreviation of text speak (txt spk) or whether my team should be playing at St James, St Jameses, St James's or St James' Park. (Someone's stolen the real me :lol: )

To get back on the topic, i've heard so many people using the term fag for cigarette on our TV, radio and in general chat over the last couple of weeks - since someone on here thought it was a stupid outdated term to use (i think it was a even a brit who commented on it).
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:16 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

It's a great word.

Bollocks is a great word. Satisfying is a good way to describe it, DG :D
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:28 pm

I'm just working on a report in which the defendant's attempted to buy a bunch of stuff from Walmart using a stolen credit card. I was reminded of another one of those different words that just cracks me up. The difference between "shopping cart" and "shopping trolley".

When I think of a trolley, THIS is what comes to mind. As opposed to THIS.
CatNamedRudy

Postby woggle » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:41 pm

:lol: The first one is a tram !!! our words are better :wink: :D
woggle

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:49 pm

woggle wrote::lol: The first one is a tram !!! our words are better :wink: :D

No, no! A TRAM runs on tracks or cables (see all cable car) whereas a trolley does not necessarily do so. Also, a tram can be one of those that goes up in the air and runs on cables.

Look, in the picture I linked it even says TROLLEY right on it! :lol: :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:51 pm

So basically, your trolleys are really odd looking buses?! :lol: We have no equivalent. :D
Dorset Girl

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion