Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Random quotations thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Random quotations thread

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:29 pm

Please feel free to add any quotations you like.

Here's one that's slightly out of date, but made me giggle when I heard it last night:

Frankie Boyle: Do you think George Bush actually knows who Gordon Brown is? He probably just thinks Tony Blair's put on weight and had a mild stroke.

:lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Re: Random quotations thread

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:59 pm

A long time ago there was no such thing as school and children spent their days learning a trade, a phrase which here means "standing around doing tedious tasks under the instruction of a bossy adult." In time, however, people realised that the children could be allowed to sit, and the first school was invented.
Lemony Snicket
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Quantum » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:04 pm

Groucho Marx :' From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter.Some day I intend reading it. '
What do you mean it's Monday?
Quantum

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Quantum wrote:Groucho Marx :' From the moment I picked your book up until I laid it down I was convulsed with laughter.Some day I intend reading it. '

:lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Bee Gees Fan » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:19 pm

The expression "Those who can't do, teach" is a curious one, because if you look at the world, you'll see that teachers aren't particularly worse at doing things than anyone else, so perhaps the expression might be better worded as "Nobody can do anything." Lemony Snicket
"How to possess truth, know beauty and discover harmony through love. How to...reconcile ones-self to time: which will kill us all in the end...how to get there in time for the happy ending." Justin Wand

http://www.berkanapath.com
Bee Gees Fan

Postby Quantum » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:50 pm

Fred Allen on Jack Benny : ' When Jack Benny plays the violin,it sounds as if the strings are still back in the cat. '

Grouch Marx : ' I never forget a face-but in your case I will make an exception.'
Goucho Marx : ' I've had a wonderful evening,but this wasn't it.'
:D
What do you mean it's Monday?
Quantum

Postby 5HR1NK » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Quantum wrote:Grouch Marx : ' I never forget a face-but in your case I will make an exception.'
Goucho Marx : ' I've had a wonderful evening,but this wasn't it.'
:D

Brilliant :lol:
The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
5HR1NK

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:07 pm

"A day without sunshine is like night!"-Steve Martin
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:31 pm

At the end of the day...it gets dark - Hans the German Butler
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:21 pm

heh, good thread. :D

I'll have to throw in my usual Bill Hicks ones.

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."

"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile... his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side."

"I can speak for every guy in this room here tonight. Guys, if you could blow yourselves, ladies, you'd be in this room alone right now. Watching an empty stage."
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:32 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:heh, good thread. :D

"A lot of Christians wear crosses around their necks. You think when Jesus comes back he ever wants to see a fucking cross? It's like going up to Jackie Onassis wearing a rifle pendant."

"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile... his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side."

"I can speak for every guy in this room here tonight. Guys, if you could blow yourselves, ladies, you'd be in this room alone right now. Watching an empty stage."

I love the smell of garlic in the morning; it smells like...victory - Rick Stein on Saturday Kitchen this morning
Hans the German Butler

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:38 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:heh, good thread. :D

:lol: Those are great!
Dorset Girl

Postby tubalcain » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:54 pm

Dorothy Parker at a Halloween party - ' Ducking for apples - change one letter and it's the story of my life. '

Heinrich Heine - ' One should forgive one's enemies,but not before they are hanged. '
tubalcain

Postby kat » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:56 pm

from the legend that is Murray Walker, James is James Hunt with whom he commentated in the early 90s

He's obviously gone in for a wheel change. I say obviously because I can't see it"
"With half the race gone, there is half the race still to go"

"Do my eyes deceive me, or is Senna's Lotus sounding rough ?"

"Anything happens in Grand Prix racing and it usually does"

"Alboreto has dropped back up to fifth place"

"As you look at the first four, the significant thing is that Alboreto is 5th"

"I can't imagine what kind of problem Senna has. I imagine it must be some sort of grip problem"

"It's raining and the track is wet"

"And there's just a few more corners for Nigel Mansell to go to win the Canadian Grand Prix...and...he's going rather slow....HE'S STOPPING HE'S STOPPING!"

"and this is the third placed car about to lap the second placed car"

[During a F1 race, describing how the leader can see the driver following him] "... Mansell can see him in his earphone..."

"So Bernie [Ecclestone], in the seventeen years since you bought McLaren, which of your many achievements do you think was the most memorable ?" Bernie Answers, "Well I don't remember buying McLaren." [Bernie Ecclestone used to own the Brabham team].

Murrary: "What's that? There's a BODY on the track!!!" James: "Um, I think that that is a piece of BODY-WORK, from someone's car."

Murray: There's a fiery glow coming from the back of the Ferrari James: No Murray, that's his rear safety light

[after a post race interview with Mansell after the Austrian GP 1987] Murray : "How did you get that nasty bump on your head Nigel?" [Nigel leans forward to show the camera as Murray pokes it with his finger !] Nigel: "OWCH!!"
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby Lil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:18 am

'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.' -Stan Laurel

'Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.' -Groucho Marx

'Mirror Mirror, on the wall, why must I look like Charles DeGaulle?' -Daniel Davis
Lil

Postby tubalcain » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:37 am

Samuel Johnson - ' No one but a blockhead ever wrote,except for money. '

Mark Twain - ' Wagner's music is better than it sounds. '
tubalcain

Postby tubalcain » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:51 am

Ogden Nash - ' Parsley Is gharsley. '
tubalcain

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:57 am

LaughingIsLife wrote:'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.' -Stan Laurel

Oh, so that's where my Dad got it from! He often says that, then sits there grinning at us like he's made the World's funniest joke. Which, as Monty Python taught us, it can't be or we would have died laughing.
Dorset Girl

Postby Agides » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:27 pm

Winston Churchill: We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.

Carl Jung: Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you.

Eric Cantona: When the seagulls follow the trawler, it is because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea.
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:27 pm

"I was always a singer and maybe no more then that. Sometimes it's not enough to know the meaning of things, sometimes we have to know what things don't mean as well. Like what does it mean to not know what the person you love is capable of? Things fall apart, especially all the neat order of rules and laws. The way we look at the world is the way we really are. See it from a fair garden and everything looks cheerful. Climb to a higher plateau and you'll see plunder and murder. Truth and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. I stopped trying to figure everything out a long time ago."
-Jack Fate (Bob Dylan) in the film "Masked and Anonymous."
barnaclelapse

Postby Lil » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
LaughingIsLife wrote:'You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead.' -Stan Laurel

Oh, so that's where my Dad got it from! He often says that, then sits there grinning at us like he's made the World's funniest joke. Which, as Monty Python taught us, it can't be or we would have died laughing.

:D I love Laurel and Hardy. Kinda corny, yes, but very funny.
Lil

Postby Hans the German Butler » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:37 pm

Nancy Astor (to Winston Churchill) - "Wiunston! You're drunk."
Churchill - "Madam, you're ugly, but in the morning I shall be sober"
Hans the German Butler

Postby Agides » Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:47 pm

Churchill is always good for some quotes. Didn't this one involve Nancy Astor too??:

Woman: Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea.
Churchill: And if I were your husband, I'd drink it!
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby kat » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Humphrey Littleton: "Colin was telling us how before Christmas he played (piano) for the Stranglers, how things were livened up in that turket abbatior"
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
kat

Postby welshben23 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:15 pm

Yippee-ki-yay, motherfucker! - John McClane. :D
welshben23

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion