Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What has confused you today?

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: What has confused you today?

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:21 pm

Forever Jung wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Confused quiz show contestants... all real, apparently!

:twisted: ROFLYSST :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:50 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Forever Jung wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:Confused quiz show contestants... all real, apparently!

:twisted: ROFLYSST :lol: :lol: :lol:

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT.

:twisted: I like that one :D
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:08 pm

:twisted: To go with the daft answers.............

I was playing some songs for someone who will remain nameless (as she'll bloody well kill me) that had been used in movies and getting her to guess what movie they were from.

The song - You Could Be Mine by Guns N Roses from Terminator 2.

Her - No idea.
Me - (bad accent) I'll be back.
Her - Terminator?
Me - No.
Her I don't know.
Me (bad accent again) I'll be back. And he was.There's the clue. He came back again (wiggles two fingers)
Her - Rambo.

:? :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:50 pm

:twisted: 0 posts in nearly 24 hrs :shock:

Did you all move forum and not give me a forwarding address? :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:23 pm

Uhm...no...of course...not...
barnaclelapse

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:52 pm

I thought that was bit odd too FJ! It's like people have lives or something! :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Forever Jung » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:35 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I thought that was bit odd too FJ! It's like people have lives or something! :lol:

:twisted: THe internet was designed so we don't have to have lives :D :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:03 pm

This has not confused ME today but it's an amusing little tale about confusion so I'll put it here:

My best friend is dating a guy who lives just outside of London. They met when he was he was doing consulting work for the same company she was doing consulting work for. Obviously, it's a long distance relationship as she lives here in the US and he lives there in London but they fly back and forth and see each other fairly often.

Anyway: Three little scenarios ocurred that made me laugh because they are those British/American translation things that I often ask you guys about. In the first instance Jon and another guy were discussing lawn care. Jon keeps talking to this guy about mowing his garden and how often he has to mow it etc. (actually not sure if he used the word mow as the word "garden" is actually the confusing word) The guy he was talking to was looking at him like he was insane and could not figure out for the life of him why Jon would want to mow his garden. Finally, Lisa looked at Jon and the other guy and said "yard." In the US, a garden is simply a plot of land where we have flowers or veggies planted. It's certainly not something one would want to mow down!

Next up came the use of the word "jumper." I know this word threw me when I first started hanging out here because in the US, a "jumper" is a dress that you most often see on a little girl. We were sitting outside at the cigar store a couple weeks ago and it started to get a bit chilly outside. Jon said he was going to go to the car to get his jumper. The other people at the table looked at him like WTF? I had to explain that Jon does not speak English and what he meant was he was going to get his sweater! lol

Then on St. Patrick's Day, a bunch of us had gone to one of the pubs in Milwaukee. Jon came back and he said "I asked this guy if he was in the que for the toilet and he looked at me like I was speaking in martian or something." I laughed and said that's because of two things. First, we use the word "line" not "que" and second, we never use the word "toilet" unless we're speaking of the actual fixture such as "I got a new toilet." In America, the question should have been "Is this the line for the bathroom."

Silly Brits! You gotta teach them everything! :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:24 pm

Those are good :D
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:00 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Next up came the use of the word "jumper." I know this word threw me when I first started hanging out here because in the US, a "jumper" is a dress that you most often see on a little girl. We were sitting outside at the cigar store a couple weeks ago and it started to get a bit chilly outside. Jon said he was going to go to the car to get his jumper. The other people at the table looked at him like WTF? I had to explain that Jon does not speak English and what he meant was he was going to get his sweater! lol

:twisted: I'd love to recreate this but with one little difference.

I'd go to the car while my friend explains that "jumper is what we call a sweater", then come back to the table with a dress on (and a pair of army boots for comedy effect) and sit there like everythijng was normal :D
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Do it.
barnaclelapse

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:51 pm

barnaclelapse wrote:Do it.

:twisted: I'd love to, it's a gag right up my street, but flying to American with a friend, learning to drive again so I can hire a car to leave my jumper in, getting into conversation for the sole purpose of causing confussion over the word jumper (and they might know it's called a jumper in England) it justs seems a lot of trouble time and expense for a gag :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:55 pm

Pah. Like any of us actually have anything better to do.
barnaclelapse

Postby Forever Jung » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:56 pm

:twisted: If I can find someone to look after my Mafia Wars while i'm away i'll consider it :lol:
Forever Jung

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:00 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:This has not confused ME today but it's an amusing little tale about confusion so I'll put it here:

My best friend is dating a guy who lives just outside of London. They met when he was he was doing consulting work for the same company she was doing consulting work for. Obviously, it's a long distance relationship as she lives here in the US and he lives there in London but they fly back and forth and see each other fairly often.

Anyway: Three little scenarios ocurred that made me laugh because they are those British/American translation things that I often ask you guys about. In the first instance Jon and another guy were discussing lawn care. Jon keeps talking to this guy about mowing his garden and how often he has to mow it etc. (actually not sure if he used the word mow as the word "garden" is actually the confusing word) The guy he was talking to was looking at him like he was insane and could not figure out for the life of him why Jon would want to mow his garden. Finally, Lisa looked at Jon and the other guy and said "yard." In the US, a garden is simply a plot of land where we have flowers or veggies planted. It's certainly not something one would want to mow down!

Next up came the use of the word "jumper." I know this word threw me when I first started hanging out here because in the US, a "jumper" is a dress that you most often see on a little girl. We were sitting outside at the cigar store a couple weeks ago and it started to get a bit chilly outside. Jon said he was going to go to the car to get his jumper. The other people at the table looked at him like WTF? I had to explain that Jon does not speak English and what he meant was he was going to get his sweater! lol

Then on St. Patrick's Day, a bunch of us had gone to one of the pubs in Milwaukee. Jon came back and he said "I asked this guy if he was in the que for the toilet and he looked at me like I was speaking in martian or something." I laughed and said that's because of two things. First, we use the word "line" not "que" and second, we never use the word "toilet" unless we're speaking of the actual fixture such as "I got a new toilet." In America, the question should have been "Is this the line for the bathroom."

Haha, only just seen this.

I think I've mentioned before about the shocked, horror-filled look I got from a woman in New York when I asked her whether there was a toilet nearby! :lol: Just to confuse things further, we actually spell it as 'queue', which is one of the most ridiculous spellings ever, I know.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:This has not confused ME today but it's an amusing little tale about confusion so I'll put it here:

Haha, only just seen this.

I think I've mentioned before about the shocked, horror-filled look I got from a woman in New York when I asked her whether there was a toilet nearby! :lol: Just to confuse things further, we actually spell it as 'queue', which is one of the most ridiculous spellings ever, I know.

I realized I spelled it incorrectly after I had posted it! You guys throw those extra "U's" in there every chance you get! :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:59 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I realized I spelled it incorrectly after I had posted it! You guys throw those extra "U's" in there every chance you get! :lol:

I will take your colourful dialogue regarding our inclusion of additional ‘u’s with good humour. I will harbour no grudges against your behaviour, as you must honour your favourite ways of spelling particular words. I will plough on regardless, just as my mum taught me, and not labour the point any further.
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:28 am

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:I realized I spelled it incorrectly after I had posted it! You guys throw those extra "U's" in there every chance you get! :lol:

I will take your colourful dialogue regarding our inclusion of additional ‘u’s with good humour. I will harbour no grudges against your behaviour, as you must honour your favourite ways of spelling particular words. I will plough on regardless, just as my mum taught me, and not labour the point any further.

Excellent :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:49 am

Dorset Girl wrote:

:lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Just sat in the garden (that's 'yard', in case a translation is needed! ;) ) having a conversation with my sister. Keren and I are going to stay with my ex mother-in-law for the weekend, and I mentioned to sis that we may have a 'family' meal for Keren's benefit, which will include my ex and his new partner. Obviously this isn't an ideal situation for me, but I'm happy to do it for Keren.

Sis said she just can't understand how I could bear to be in the same room with his new partner, and how come I didn't hate her with a passion. She said that in my position, she would have done everything she could - sent fake emails, contacted her family, etc. - to cause hell for her. She admitted to me that she actually does 'stalk' this girl's Facebook page to see what she's posting about her and my ex.

I tried to explain that I don't care enough about her to hate her - she's not important enough for me to expend that energy on. Then sis poured out this huge list of people who she actively hates - a girl who used to tease her at school, a waiter in a restaurant two years ago who asked her not to drink her Coke directly from the can, a woman down the road with whom her husband once had a fling (years and years ago, before she even knew him), a neighbour who has lots of bonfires....

I just don't get it - I tried to explain that surely she's doing herself a lot more harm with all that hating than she does to these people? I'm betting most of them never, ever give her a second thought, or in some cases even remember she exists. But she says she can't move past it. No wonder she's so angry about everything all the time.

As for this meal - if it does go ahead, I'm betting I'll feel a lot more comfortable in the situation than the new girlfriend will. That subtle feeling of knowing I'm more relaxed than her is revenge enough for me! :D
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:22 pm

I'm with you D.G. Anger and "hate" take up way too much energy.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Should be interesting DG! Let us know how it goes.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby woggle » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:51 am

Im with you DG hating isn't worth it ... sould be an interesting night out thou .
woggle

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:01 pm

Sounds like it's not worth even an ounce of anger and hate, DG. Hope tonight goes okay.
barnaclelapse

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:38 pm

The govt obsession with the more frivolous elements of smoking. They're off their rockers if they seriously think removing any packaging design will stop people smoking :lol:

Great news for the counterfeiters if it gets passed, though! Idiots.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion