Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Impossible Dream

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

The Impossible Dream

Postby Lil » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:59 pm

This thread is for anyone to come on here and explain a dream they've had, whether it be simple or it be something that needs assistance in figuring out. I've always felt that dreams are intriguing. Thus, post your sweet dreams/nightmares here!

So far, you all know that I recently dreamed of a hugging session with Hugh Laurie. Random! That's why dreams are like a box of chocolates - ya never know what you're gonna get. :)
Lil

Re: The Impossible Dream

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:23 pm

I like dreams. I'm not sure how much I believe they can be 'interpreted', or if they're anything deeper than an amalgamation of our memories and emotions - but I generally remember my dreams clearly, and I have some gooduns. :D

I very often dream about an ex-teacher of mine, Mr Oakley. I haven't seen him since I was 15. I've had some email contact with him, but not for about five years now. Weirdly, though, I'd estimate that I dream about him at least two or three times a month. :scratch: I also often dream about FO members, but I won't give any specifics. ;)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby barnaclelapse » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:44 pm

My dreams tend to be like David Lynch or Terry Gilliam movies, and it's been like that since I was about three years old. They're generally a very strong, completely overwhelming world of horror, comedy, absolute terror, brutal surrealism, weird elements of the past, present and future coming together with any one of those other aspects I just mentioned.

Very often, my dreams involve trying to struggle against completely impossible circumstances.

The worst of these are the ones where I wake up and are completely unable to shake off the mindset I had in the dream (or I guess nightmare would be a better genre). Those are the ones that feel a lot like night terrors, I suppose. I'm usually a complete mess and cannot shake the sensation that I've just lost my mind. It's pretty horrifying stuff, but it's very rare that they go to that extreme.

The weirdest ones are the the straightforward ones that seem to delve into some future possibility. The more powerful of those have often had me awake and exceptionally saddened by some sense of loss that I already can't place by the time I've woken up.

Dreams I've had of things and events that did eventually happen, very specific things that I would not have anticipated were it not for the dream are pretty cool (and, of course, scary as hell). Those are even more rare than the night terror ones, but they have happened.
barnaclelapse

Postby Dorset Girl » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:56 pm

Jeez, how do you close your eyes at night? :shock: I remember going through a period of having nightmares when I was a kid, and I had some really horrible ones when I was preggers, but other than that they're pretty rare, thankfully!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Lil » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:18 am

Dorset Girl wrote:I also often dream about FO members, but I won't give any specifics. ;)

Please do! :D
Lil

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:31 am

Bet most of em are about me.

(Nods)
barnaclelapse

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:43 am

My most frequent recurring dream is one a lot of people seem to have. Showing up to take a final exam in a class you haven't been to all semester long. And sometimes there nakedness involved!

I also have falling dreams. But it's not like I'm falling off a cliff or anything. It's usually that I'm on a roller coaster and either I'm not strapped in right and we're about to go upside down or the car goes right off the track.

I dream about plane crashes and tornadoes too. I don't know why!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Tom M » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:15 am

LaughingIsLife wrote:So far, you all know that I recently dreamed of a hugging session with Hugh Laurie. Random!

He was recently on Friday Night with Jonathon Ross sporting a pretty impressive, bushy beard ;)
"Tom M" a.k.a. "Count Chocula!"
Last.FM: http://www.last.fm/user/TheJamFan2

All cried out; hungry now; ate entire box of Frosted Flakes; they're greeeat!
Niles Crane. :)
Tom M

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:14 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:My most frequent recurring dream is one a lot of people seem to have. Showing up to take a final exam in a class you haven't been to all semester long. And sometimes there nakedness involved!

Oh, is that a common dream? Because I have that really often. I've never had the 'naked' bit though, thankfully!
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:14 am

barnaclelapse wrote:Bet most of em are about me.

(Nods)

Well, of course. Goes without saying.
Dorset Girl

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:43 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:My most frequent recurring dream is one a lot of people seem to have. Showing up to take a final exam in a class you haven't been to all semester long. And sometimes there nakedness involved!

I also have falling dreams. But it's not like I'm falling off a cliff or anything. It's usually that I'm on a roller coaster and either I'm not strapped in right and we're about to go upside down or the car goes right off the track.

Afraid of them, maybe?

That's usually why things like that are recurring in dreams.
barnaclelapse

Postby woggle » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:40 pm

Me to only im normally about an inch tall and im falling off my wardrobe in my bedroom :lol: god knows what that means . One i had as a kid was me at the fair on a ride with a skeleton i try to get off then it chases me till i get home ..

[ for a while after that i was afraid of the advert for scotch cassete video tapes which used skeletons ... :roll: ]

Ive only had a couple of dreams about fellow FO'ers so far ... clean ones of course .
woggle

Postby Karin » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:32 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:My most frequent recurring dream is one a lot of people seem to have. Showing up to take a final exam in a class you haven't been to all semester long.

I have that one quite often, too.

Another recurring dream I have is having to get to the airport to catch a flight and I'm incredibly late, haven't packed my suitcase, which I then have to do in a hurry and of course I then forget important things, like my passport.

I don't think I've ever had a real nightmare. Though as a kid there was a time I was terribly afraid of bats and I remember having some bad dreams about them.
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
Karin

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:43 pm

I often dream about my dad, either me dying to be with him or he comes back, or having to chose between him and all my friends, which always upsets me, but is probably easy enough to figure out!

I dream about Being hurt or dying a lot and drowning, possibly as I can't swim very well. My dreams are always sad or upsetting though, I never have happy ones
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby welshben23 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:29 pm

I had a dream we went away, left this city for a day, you took me southwards on a plane and showed me Spain or somewhere.
welshben23

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:51 pm

welshben23 wrote:I had a dream we went away, left this city for a day, you took me southwards on a plane and showed me Spain or somewhere.

But in reality your not keen to show me anything but I thought u liked me!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Lil » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:59 pm

Interesting stuff, guys. And sorry Tom, but beards usually don't do anything for me. :lol:

Last night I dreamed about one of the Dead Poets Society guys! Unfortunately not the one I wanted to dream about, but..for those who know this film..the one who re-named himself Nowanda in the film. :lol: We were on a bus or something together and I was sitting next to him. All of a sudden, I was in the front seat and mad that I wasn't next to him anymore. Strange.

As for recurring dreams, when I was young, I was terrified of Bigfoot. I used to have nightmares that he would eat me. Sometimes I think about the dreams/nightmares that I've had. Like DG who dreams about her teacher a lot, I dream about some people quite a bit. Then as I said, the celebrity dreams - once I was in a supermarket ice skating with Devon Sawa. :D
Lil

Postby Sideshow Meg » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:13 pm

I have really weird and wonderful dreams, my favourite most recent one was about having lunch at Chepstow racecourse with Alan Sugar because I was in the Apprentice final.
Meg - A 'posh bit of crumpet'
Sideshow Meg

Postby Paul B » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:34 pm

My most recent dream was a weird one. I don't remember the exact details. It started off outside a really creepy swamp shack. I went through the back entrance and was frightened by a creepy old woman, so I turned round and went to the front entrance instead. For some reason, it transformed into a glorious mansion, with all the TVs and media equipment you could ever want. As I walked around exploring the place, it got bigger and bigger, eventually becoming an airport-sized hotel. Michel from Gilmore Girls showed up and complained about the rooms. Suddenly, we were on a boat, rapidly moving away from England's south coast. A big bright light suddenly came and started 'blotting' out various places on the land, and I believed it was an atomic bomb that was ending the world. Fortunately, we were rescued by a portal, which took us to an alternate dimension, where there were giant medieval mice and us humans were tiny.

I'd love to see someone interpret that.
Last edited by Paul B on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paul B

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:38 pm

:lol: What the hell kind of drugs did you take before you had this "dream" Paul?

It always amazes me how in dreams, you're in one place then all of a sudden, it all switches and it's something completely different. One second you're on a street and then it's a plane. And it all makes perfect sense at the time!
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Paul B » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:39 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote::lol: What the hell kind of drugs did you take before you had this "dream" Paul?

It always amazes me how in dreams, you're in one place then all of a sudden, it all switches and it's something completely different. One second you're on a street and then it's a plane. And it all makes perfect sense at the time!

It's possible something may have happened between the hotel and the boat, but I don't remember anything else. And I swear I didn't take any drugs! That I know of.
Paul B

Postby Lil » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Paul - that's some cool dream. I like the whole medieval mice thing.

Cat - I love that too, when you're in one place one minute, then another place the next.

I dream a lot about people who have passed on, especially my grandparents. It's because I wish they were still here so I could talk to them - I think about them almost every day and wish that I had the chance to know them better. Then my mom goes and makes me cry when she says that if my grandpa were here now, he would be so proud of me. :)
Lil

Postby Lil » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Okay I have to share this one! I had a four-part dream....

-My mom and I were in this elevator and it literally started to rock back and forth. It was terrifying and seemed like the doors would never open, but they finally did.

-My mom and I were running away from this thug and we both got shot, but we had on bullet-proof vests, so we survived.

-Me, Alan Shore, and Denny Crane were at my nearby park. I was on the swings and they were on these huge Army-like vehicles, playing around like kids.

-Me, my dad, and my brother were hiding in this large crate because we saw this huge truck turning into a Transformer. Thankfully, it was Bumblebee, one of the good ones. But he thought we were Decepticons and started to shake our crate back and forth - it felt like an earthquake. All of a sudden, we realized that someone was playing around and it was a huge toy. The toy turned itself into this Wall-E kind of compact thing and went into a building. I followed him into the building...and it was a Transformers gift shop.

How about that one? :lol:
Lil

Postby barnaclelapse » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Okay, that second to last dream?

AWESOME....
barnaclelapse

Postby Lil » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:53 am

barnaclelapse wrote:Okay, that second to last dream?

AWESOME....

Absolutely.

I know why I dreamt that too - last night, I watched two episodes of Boston Legal and Alan & Denny were talking about not growing older or something (from S4). Well in my dream, they were acting like kids. Voila.
Lil

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion