Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Guilty pleasure TV

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Paul B » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:26 pm

What TV shows do you like to watch, even though you know they're probably rubbish?

Recently I've rediscovered my love for Sabrina the Teenage Witch while watching it on DVD. I can't put my finger on why I like it because the writing is really average the majority of the time, but great characters such as Salem and Hilda, plus the occasional clever line, make me enjoy it a lot. Plus there's the whole nostalgia factor as I used to watch it all the time on Nickelodeon.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:46 pm

All the reality stuff I watch is definitely "guilty pleasure" TV!

Survivor, American Idol, Big Brother (US), The Biggest Loser and The Amazing Race.

Also, I think "Greek" is a bit of a guilty pleasure. It's on ABC Family channel and pretty much geared toward high school and 20somethings but I like it a lot.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Paul B » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:56 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:All the reality stuff I watch is definitely "guilty pleasure" TV!

Survivor, American Idol, Big Brother (US), The Biggest Loser and The Amazing Race.

Also, I think "Greek" is a bit of a guilty pleasure. It's on ABC Family channel and pretty much geared toward high school and 20somethings but I like it a lot.

I have a few reality show guilty pleasures too, namely The X Factor (the UK equivalent of American Idol, though it used to be branded as Pop Idol) and The Apprentice. Though it could be argued that the latter is much more high calibre than most reality television. I'll also watch Britain's Got Talent if the mood strikes me.
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Karin » Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:24 pm

Lately I find myself enjoying some episodes of The Nanny, which I sometimes catch when it's on. I remember I used to watch it pretty regularly 10 or 15 years ago, so there's also that nostalgia factor.
One belongs to New York instantly, one belongs to it as much in five minutes as in five years. - Thomas Wolfe
User avatar
Karin
 
Posts: 2995
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:41 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Saved By The Bell. Probably plenty of others, but that immediately sprung to mind :)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Paul B » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:29 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Saved By The Bell. Probably plenty of others, but that immediately sprung to mind :)

Definitely. :D
Paul B
 
Posts: 7281
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:47 pm

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Lil » Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Agreed with Karin on The Nanny. I love that show.

I also love the old, silly shows. My mom recently got me hooked on the oldie but goodie My Little Margie.
User avatar
Lil
 
Posts: 9936
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am
Location: New York

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:07 pm

I still watch the occasional Saved by the Bell too! Though this morning Saved by the Bell: The College Years was on and I just can't deal with that.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Lil » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:08 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I still watch the occasional Saved by the Bell too! Though this morning Saved by the Bell: The College Years was on and I just can't deal with that.


Me too. It's so corny but loveable.
User avatar
Lil
 
Posts: 9936
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am
Location: New York

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby kat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:19 pm

I love Saved By The Bell, and I do like Sabrina The Teenage Witch, but that my have something to do with the fact that I used to have a MASSIVE crush on Harvey when I was younger. Loose Women is good as well.
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
User avatar
kat
 
Posts: 4416
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: the dark side of the moon

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Lil » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:20 pm

kat wrote:I love Saved By The Bell, and I do like Sabrina The Teenage Witch, but that my have something to do with the fact that I used to have a MASSIVE crush on Harvey when I was younger. Loose Women is good as well.


Me too!!
User avatar
Lil
 
Posts: 9936
Joined: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:30 am
Location: New York

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby kat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:21 pm

LaughingIsLife wrote:
kat wrote:I love Saved By The Bell, and I do like Sabrina The Teenage Witch, but that my have something to do with the fact that I used to have a MASSIVE crush on Harvey when I was younger. Loose Women is good as well.


Me too!!


Thank God I'm not the only one
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
User avatar
kat
 
Posts: 4416
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: the dark side of the moon

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Mayday Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Come Dine With Me

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

POLAR opposites. :)
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby kat » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:30 pm

Mayday Malone wrote:Come Dine With Me

Buck Rogers in the 25th Century

POLAR opposites. :)


I love Come Dine With Me I was just watching it before
If life gives you lemons, make lemon curd
User avatar
kat
 
Posts: 4416
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:56 pm
Location: the dark side of the moon

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Wezzo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:52 pm

Sabrina the Teenage Witch
Saved by the Bell
Kenan and Kel
Clarissa Explains It All
The X Factor
Britain's Got Talent
A Place In The Sun: Home or Away
Judge Judy
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Mayday Malone » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:02 pm

Ah, Kenan & Kel

Now that's going back some.
"I'm afraid I can't. I shall be at home listening to Schubert whilst ironically viewing Canadian pornography."
User avatar
Mayday Malone
 
Posts: 12673
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:22 am

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:21 pm

Wezzo wrote:Judge Judy


I'm going to start kicking air. And if any part of you should fill that air, it's your own fault! ;)
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Wezzo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:24 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Wezzo wrote:Judge Judy


I'm going to start kicking air. And if any part of you should fill that air, it's your own fault! ;)


Guess I'll have to start punching air, then.. :D
User avatar
Wezzo
 
Posts: 11585
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:00 am
Location: Wiltshire, England

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby insaneasperger » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:38 pm

britains got talent I have just realised I love that show!!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
User avatar
insaneasperger
 
Posts: 5818
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:45 pm
Location: Location Locatio

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby woggle » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:51 pm

My main ones have been mentioned Big brother and x- factor and i guess i used to love the ole 90210 and i guess from the UK i always liked Gimmie , gimmie , gimme which was definatly not that popular .

I lovvve come dine with me to the voice over guy is the funniest person everrrr .
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:46 pm

Um... I quite like the kid's programme 'In the Night Garden.' Most of the CBeebies programmes drive me nuts, but there are a couple that I actually enjoy watching, and that's one of them! Especially the episode where Mr Pontipine's moustache blew away, and he had to chase around trying to get it back. It got stuck to the Pinky Ponk. :( Then, when he finally got it back, Mrs Pontipine kissed him, and it got stuck to her nose! Poor Mr Pontipine. Can you imagine the horror? :shock:

Mr Pontipine:
Image

The Pinky Ponk:
Image
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Agides » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Um... I quite like the kid's programme 'In the Night Garden.' Most of the CBeebies programmes drive me nuts, but there are a couple that I actually enjoy watching, and that's one of them! Especially the episode where Mr Pontipine's moustache blew away, and he had to chase around trying to get it back. It got stuck to the Pinky Ponk. :( Then, when he finally got it back, Mrs Pontipine kissed him, and it got stuck to her nose! Poor Mr Pontipine. Can you imagine the horror? :shock:


I'm trying to! :wink:

*takes a very deep breath*
Ok, I realise I am going to be verbally crucified for what I'm about to reveal and I have to add that I don't watch it very often at all (although I guess I could record it), but 'Jeremy Kyle'. :shock:
Even though it stands for just about everything I hate about modern society, if the opportunity presents itself, some strange force overcomes me and I'm powerless to do anything else but watch it.
(And if there's either a punch-up or a DNA test involved, so much the better!)
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:08 pm

Agides wrote:*takes a very deep breath*
Ok, I realise I am going to be verbally crucified for what I'm about to reveal and I have to add that I don't watch it very often at all (although I guess I could record it), but 'Jeremy Kyle'. :shock:
Even though it stands for just about everything I hate about modern society, if the opportunity presents itself, some strange force overcomes me and I'm powerless to do anything else but watch it.
(And if there's either a punch-up or a DNA test involved, so much the better!)


What's Jeremy Kyle? Is it a chat show?
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
User avatar
Dorset Girl
 
Posts: 25084
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Costa del Dorset

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Agides » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:39 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Agides wrote:*takes a very deep breath*
Ok, I realise I am going to be verbally crucified for what I'm about to reveal and I have to add that I don't watch it very often at all (although I guess I could record it), but 'Jeremy Kyle'. :shock:
Even though it stands for just about everything I hate about modern society, if the opportunity presents itself, some strange force overcomes me and I'm powerless to do anything else but watch it.
(And if there's either a punch-up or a DNA test involved, so much the better!)


What's Jeremy Kyle? Is it a chat show?


Almost. It's a chav show!
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
User avatar
Agides
 
Posts: 6808
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 3:22 pm
Location: Naughty Step

Re: Guilty pleasure TV

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am

Wezzo wrote:Sabrina the Teenage Witch
Saved by the Bell
Kenan and Kel
Clarissa Explains It All
The X Factor
Britain's Got Talent
A Place In The Sun: Home or Away
Judge Judy


You missed off Diff'rent Strokes there Wez - even Judge Judy herself would surely rule you 'guilty' on that one... :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
User avatar
Mr Blue Sky
 
Posts: 21732
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2004 1:00 am

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests

cron

© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2019. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.