Dorset Girl wrote:EAR ACHE!!!! :cry:

:cry: You are Keren?

:twisted: Is this the hypnosis part of the show? :lol:

Hope you feeling better DG.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Re: Things that p*** me off

Postby Dorset Girl » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:56 pm

Thank you. Still feeling bad unfortunately, and only one day of antibiotics left. Going away for the weekend, too, so I was hoping to be all mended by then!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby barnaclelapse » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:09 pm

Being completely unable to shake off this cough/mild flu bug.

(Lights a cigarettes)

It's a complete mystery to me.
barnaclelapse

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Smoke some more, I am always more ill when I don't smoke..... strange, possibly backwards but completely true. I gave up smoking for 6 months, spent more time in hospital or ill in that 6 months than the 9 years or so I've been smoking....

What pisses me off?
Paying friends £60 to do some man-jobs round the flat 3 weeks ago and said jobs still not being done, think I may be giving him a boot up the ass soon. Too busy with his new stick insect instead :( :S
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby barnaclelapse » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm

The worst thing about being a smoker whose sick is the cough. My cough is always the last thing to go.

It's a small price to pay for looking so gosh-darn cool.

Boots to asses. It worked for The Rock.
barnaclelapse

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:23 pm

''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:44 pm

:roll: This country is seriously going backwards! WTF is wrong with these people?
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Eddie2012 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:08 am

"Results for this USA Today/Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted May 10-13, 2012, with a random sample of 1,012 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia."

I hate such mini-polls. 1,012 out of 314,000,000 Americans...

"For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points."

Oh really!?!?
Eddie2012

Postby woggle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:26 am

The WAG on this morning complaning about the intrusion of paps who annoy her , oh well sorry love can't have you innteruppted while spending 2 grand on a new handbag while out shopping now can we. . Never mind the wives who are wracked with worry as their fellas are over seas fighting in a war ...Live with it !! numpty
woggle

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:58 am

Eddie2012 wrote:"Results for this USA Today/Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted May 10-13, 2012, with a random sample of 1,012 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia."

"For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±4 percentage points."

Oh really!?!?

And your point is?

I can understand the suspicion, but you know it's not simply a one-off poll? Is your background in mathematics - specifically statistical analysis?

Gallup have been creating and analysing poll data for years, and they have a pretty good grasp of the science behind it.

Example: Gallup accuracy records for polling US presidential election results. How many people do you think they asked to gather those figures?

Gallup are well respected statisticians. It might not be 100% perfect, but you can run a line through their results and find the trends that get backed up by other means. Tell me it's useless when you've asked 314,000,000 people, every day, and show me the different graph you get. :D

I'd be interested in Wezzo's thoughts (if you're still around).

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 pm

woggle wrote:The WAG on this morning complaning about the intrusion of paps who annoy her , oh well sorry love can't have you innteruppted while spending 2 grand on a new handbag while out shopping now can we. . Never mind the wives who are wracked with worry as their fellas are over seas fighting in a war ...Live with it !! numpty

Hey, i'm sure it's a hard life deciding between Louis Vuitton or Prada ;)

To be fair, i think i'd get pissed of with the press bugging the shit out of me - but then there are a shedload of footballer's wives who don't get bugged. It seems to be the same publicity hungry few giving soundbites and 'writing' magazine articles.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Eddie2012 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:06 pm

No, math is indeed not my strong point :oops: :D

My simple mind was hoping that such a small number of people could not be representative for the whole nation.

Well, another hope gone...
Last edited by Eddie2012 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie2012

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:14 pm

Eddie2012 wrote:No, math is indeed not my strong point :oops: :D

My simple mind was hoping that such small number of people could not representative for the whole nation.

Well, another hope gone...

:lol:

I always live in hope that their poll must be wrong when i read such things. Unfortunately it keeps a fairly rigid line over the years, and it tallies up with stuff i read on various science websites. I wish it was just some internet poll on a Church website!

You do right to be skeptical though.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Wezzo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:55 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Eddie2012 wrote:"Results for this USA Today/Gallup poll are based on telephone interviews conducted May 10-13, 2012, with a random sample of 1,012 adults, aged 18 and older, living in all 50 U.S. states and the District of Columbia."

Oh really!?!?

And your point is?

I can understand the suspicion, but you know it's not simply a one-off poll? Is your background in mathematics - specifically statistical analysis?

Gallup have been creating and analysing poll data for years, and they have a pretty good grasp of the science behind it.

Example: Gallup accuracy records for polling US presidential election results. How many people do you think they asked to gather those figures?

Gallup are well respected statisticians. It might not be 100% perfect, but you can run a line through their results and find the trends that get backed up by other means. Tell me it's useless when you've asked 314,000,000 people, every day, and show me the different graph you get. :D

I'd be interested in Wezzo's thoughts (if you're still around).

I'm alive, and funnily enough I was close to commenting this morning, but thought "nah, MC will do it for me", haha!

I'd basically concur with what you said: there's a strong, sound scientific basis for the confidence intervals and margins of error to be defined as they are by pollsters. You can do some research around the 'Net - even on Wikipedia - if you're interested.

Generally, polls of more 2,000 people are not worth the time, effort, and - most significantly - cost. As the number of people polled increases, you get proportionately less value from your poll, as each fraction-of-a-percentage reduction in error margins requires exponentially more polling. Worth playing with this to see how - http://www.raosoft.com/samplesize.html
Wezzo

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:30 am

That'd be funny if it wasn't so sad. I wonder if this is just a US phenomenon or if the rest of the Western world follows a similar pattern? Richard Dawkins must be pulling his hair out at this :lol:

I'd love to see the UK polled. I'd like to think the 'God played no part in evolution' bar would be over 50% here, or maybe I'm being wildly optimistic...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:05 pm

Depression pisses me off. I just think I'm beginning to shake it, then back it comes, and makes everything feel ten times as much effort.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:56 pm

Depression is pissing me off too, and the fact I don't feel safe in my own home anymore considering running away not that anyone would notice, and I have no were to go. Really feel like giving up right now. So I think it's easier to just give in to the depression. I'm done fighting it.
insaneasperger

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:45 pm

Hope you're both ok, and have people to talk to/vent at when needed.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby insaneasperger » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:24 am

Thanks MC! I just vented most of it at jez, didn't mention the fact that if I could stop falling for him I wouldn't be so hurt when I'm comforting his broken heart and listening to him say he could never trust anyone again. Gone from about to kill myself to laughin my head off in about 5 mins today, I don't think my meds are controlling the mood swings very well. Hmm
insaneasperger

Postby Lil » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:14 pm

Sending hugs to you both, DG and IA
Lil

Postby woggle » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:17 pm

Lil wrote:Sending hugs to you both, DG and IA

Same goes to both from me . x
woggle

Postby Dorset Girl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:30 am

^ Thanks guys. I don't know about IA, but I'm happy to report that I'm feeling quite good at the moment. Long may it last!
Dorset Girl

Postby insaneasperger » Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 pm

finding out we are probably going to get evicted and the neighbours hurling abuse because of my cousins dogs, me taking out a loan to secure them a house and they oversleeping missed out on it but still keeping the fucking money, my mum getting snappy, my mate ranting on about how much he loves a girl that aint me. and pretty ,uch everything right now. how Ive not actually self harmed Ive no idea, pisses me off that my cousin has though.
insaneasperger

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:02 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:^ Thanks guys. I don't know about IA, but I'm happy to report that I'm feeling quite good at the moment. Long may it last!

:thumbright:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:04 pm

insaneasperger wrote:finding out we are probably going to get evicted and the neighbours hurling abuse because of my cousins dogs, me taking out a loan to secure them a house and they oversleeping missed out on it but still keeping the fucking money, my mum getting snappy, my mate ranting on about how much he loves a girl that aint me. and pretty ,uch everything right now. how Ive not actually self harmed Ive no idea, pisses me off that my cousin has though.

They're keeping your money? wtf?

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion