Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What has made you smile today?

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:41 pm

vexedfoxy wrote:
Nelson Mandella did not do SA a lot of good and he was black I think.

How is this relevant to the historical nature of Obama being the first black President of the United States?

I mean aside from the fact that Nelson Mandella's election was also historical.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Rodge » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:23 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
vexedfoxy wrote:

How is this relevant to the historical nature of Obama being the first black President of the United States?

Plus it is a blatantly false statement. :shock:
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Rodge wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
vexedfoxy wrote:

Which one? The one about Nelson Mandella or the one about Obama.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Rodge » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:34 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Rodge wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
vexedfoxy wrote:

Which one? The one about Nelson Mandella or the one about Obama.

Mandela. As far as I see, his only real mistake was his lack of taking the AIDS virus seriously enough, although he is trying to make up for that now.
Rodge

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:41 pm

Mandela. As far as I see, his only real mistake was his lack of taking the AIDS virus seriously enough, although he is trying to make up for that now.

I agree. Though to be fair to him, most people didn't take it seriously enough in the beginning.

Unfortunately, African nations took it even less seriously than other world leaders.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Rodge » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:47 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:

I agree. Though to be fair to him, most people didn't take it seriously enough in the beginning.

Unfortunately, African nations took it even less seriously than other world leaders.

I don't think it was just them not taking it seriously, it's more that the Vatican had instilled this belief that AIDS was a punishment for promiscuity and of course the wearing of condoms being a sin. We are sickened by the deaths caused by terror, but this pales into insignificance by the deaths caused by catholic beliefs.
Rodge

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:50 pm

Rodge wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:

I don't think it was just them not taking it seriously, it's more that the Vatican had instilled this belief that AIDS was a punishment for promiscuity and of course the wearing of condoms being a sin. We are sickened by the deaths caused by terror, but this pales into insignificance by the deaths caused by catholic beliefs.

And sad as it is, that is still the case in far too many places.

Organized religion in general has been the cause of an unbelievable amount of death and destruction.

Well, this is an uplifting discussion for the "What Has Made You Smile" thread! :lol:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:53 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Well, this is an uplifting discussion for the "What Has Made You Smile" thread! :lol:

It's made me smile, it's great to have some decent debate around here! :D
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Rodge » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:And sad as it is, that is still the case in far too many places.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the Catholic church fairly prominent in the US. On TV you do sometimes get the impression the America is full of religious "nutters" who take everything to an extreme. Or is it the same as the UK where agnostics and athiests are becoming more predominant?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:57 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Well, this is an uplifting discussion for the "What Has Made You Smile" thread! :lol:

It's made me smile, it's great to have some decent debate around here! :D

Hear hear.
Rodge

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:05 am

Rodge wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:And sad as it is, that is still the case in far too many places.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the Catholic church fairly prominent in the US. On TV you do sometimes get the impression the America is full of religious "nutters" who take everything to an extreme. Or is it the same as the UK where agnostics and athiests are becoming more predominant?

Not so much the "Catholics" but the religious right in general. The US isn't so much full of the religious nut cases but the religious right has a pretty loud voice. And they seem to have a thing about putting religion into government. The religious right wants to govern morality.

I wouldn't say that athiests and agnostics are more prominent. Religion is still a pretty strong force. In truth, that athiests can get a little ridiculous too.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Rodge » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:28 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Rodge wrote:

Not so much the "Catholics" but the religious right in general. The US isn't so much full of the religious nut cases but the religious right has a pretty loud voice. And they seem to have a thing about putting religion into government. The religious right wants to govern morality.

I wouldn't say that athiests and agnostics are more prominent. Religion is still a pretty strong force. In truth, that athiests can get a little ridiculous too.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but isn't that America in a nutshell - " normality taken to an extreme!"
Rodge

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:45 am

Rodge wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
Rodge wrote:

Please don't take this the wrong way, but isn't that America in a nutshell - " normality taken to an extreme!"

I don't think so. There are areas of extremism. Certain cities for example but in general, no, I don't think all normality it taken to the extreme.
CatNamedRudy

Postby vexedfoxy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:10 am

Well the Catholic church is full of two faced policies, ban the use of contraceptives so people in third world countries are now riddled with AIDS, but not one priest, cardinal or the pope hounds Cherie BLAIR after she writes that she failed to take a 'contraceptive device' when staying at a royal palace and thats where one of her children was conceived.........charming.

Nelson Mandella was not elected because of his skill, or his popularity he was elected because he was black. period. Its the old story you could put a monkey with a blue badge in Kensington and it would win the tory seat.

and I think for a time Nelson did SA goof but now look at it, what a mess.

Obama is I believe different, he has been elected because people want change, believe his policies and by the by he is black and that in my humble opinion is the way it should be.

It remains a mystery how or why the yanks voted in Bush twice? Or indeed the total mystery how Blair was voted in by my fellow countrymen three times.

I can call you yanks as some one called us limeys early in this thread.

Anyway, what may me smile today, Oh having the freedon to say what I think and the freedom to listen to what other people think, that made me smile...........lots.
Sack the Englsih football team. Anyone involved with the team in SA should never go near the FA again........except the man, or woman it could have been a lady who drove the bus.
vexedfoxy

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:40 am

vexedfoxy wrote:Well the Catholic church is full of two faced policies, ban the use of contraceptives so people in third world countries are now riddled with AIDS, but not one priest, cardinal or the pope hounds Cherie BLAIR after she writes that she failed to take a 'contraceptive device' when staying at a royal palace and thats where one of her children was conceived.........charming.

Nelson Mandella was not elected because of his skill, or his popularity he was elected because he was black. period. Its the old story you could put a monkey with a blue badge in Kensington and it would win the tory seat.

and I think for a time Nelson did SA goof but now look at it, what a mess.

Obama is I believe different, he has been elected because people want change, believe his policies and by the by he is black and that in my humble opinion is the way it should be.

It remains a mystery how or why the yanks voted in Bush twice? Or indeed the total mystery how Blair was voted in by my fellow countrymen three times.

I can call you yanks as some one called us limeys early in this thread.

Anyway, what may me smile today, Oh having the freedon to say what I think and the freedom to listen to what other people think, that made me smile...........lots.

Yep, if anything's going to clear up the racist tone plaguing your posts then using a monkey in a Nelson Mandela analogy should do the trick! :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:47 am

vexedfoxy wrote:Joking or not I can't decide, there is no need for that sort of language.

I guess that's the problem with jumping head-first into a new forum instead of gently feeling your way in as most people would. I'm not saying you shouldn't jump straight in, but I'm not surprised at your misinterpretation of people's posts and consequently feeling a little out of step with the rest of the forum.

Of course it could just be that you've had a sense of humour bypass. :wink:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:49 am

vexedfoxy wrote:Oh having the freedon to say what I think and the freedom to listen to what other people think, that made me smile...........lots.

FREEDOM!!!

Time to stick on that Braveheart DVD I reckon :brave:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:54 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Not so much the "Catholics" but the religious right in general. The US isn't so much full of the religious nut cases but the religious right has a pretty loud voice. And they seem to have a thing about putting religion into government. The religious right wants to govern morality.

Much of the Italian/American community are of Catholic faith aren't they. Well, they were in The Sopranos at any rate. :D

I wouldn't say that atheists and agnostics are more prominent. Religion is still a pretty strong force. In truth, that atheists can get a little ridiculous too.

You're right, the last stat I saw said 95% of Americans believed in a higher power of some sort or other. Speaking as a devout atheist myself, I find that a little scary. :shock:
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:56 am

Last day of Bush; first day of O(rgasm)bama (tribute to JT there :wink: ).

That has me frankly grinning from ear to ear today. :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby vexedfoxy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:16 am

Methinks you will find the the tory/kensington was my line.

I have not had a humour bypass.

I had no idea I had to wine and dine you all before I was allowed to wade in.
Sack the Englsih football team. Anyone involved with the team in SA should never go near the FA again........except the man, or woman it could have been a lady who drove the bus.
vexedfoxy

Postby Wezzo » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:27 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:You're right, the last stat I saw said 95% of Americans believed in a higher power of some sort or other. Speaking as a devout atheist myself, I find that a little scary. :shock:

What I find scarier is that 53% of Americans wouldn't vote for an athiest, and nor would 20% of Brits..
Wezzo

Postby 5HR1NK » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:35 am

Just saw this thread today, and reading all these responses made me smile, tis amusing.

Very fvcking amusing indeed. (:wink:)
The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it.
5HR1NK

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:42 am

5HR1NK wrote:Very fvcking amusing indeed. (:wink:)

:lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:54 am

vexedfoxy wrote:Obama is I believe different, he has been elected because people want change, believe his policies and by the by he is black and that in my humble opinion is the way it should be.

I see what you're saying - that in an 'ideal' world, where racism doesn't exist, it would be irrelevant whether he was black or not. That's how I'd love to bring my kid(s) up - for them not even to know it's an issue. However, the historical factor and the racism that is still present in some people will make that difficult.

I see the fuss being made about Obama's skin colour as a positive thing - it's America saying 'look how far we've come - racism is becoming a thing of the past.' In reality, unfortunately, racism will probably always exist to some degree, but it's still a huuuuge thing that a black President has been elected IMHO.

Here's a question - what would be the reaction if a black PM were elected in Britain? Would it be more reserved? And if so, would that be because of our British 'reservedness' (is that a word?) or because of other factors?
Dorset Girl

Postby vexedfoxy » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:58 am

To be honest if we had a black PM it out cause the same reaction as the US are having now, no doubt about it.

I suppose USA is bigger and louder and take longer to do everything so it seems to be EVEN bigger issue, I just hope that there are not too many residents in the USA that are going to look back in four years and say 'what did he do then?'

Is voting him out in four years time for a white man racist?

Will SA ever have a white man in charge again.

Black SA's would never vote white that is a race issue.

What you need now is a gay president? Is America ready for that.
vexedfoxy

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion