Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

British Politics

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: British Politics

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue May 11, 2010 8:46 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Woo Hoo! England is without a leader! Anarchy soon to follow! :D

hehe, Nah, it doesn't last long - Cameron's already in now. It doesn't drag out like in the US for some reason.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue May 11, 2010 8:54 pm

Every cloud has a silver lining. At least we have a vaguely good looking PM now. :lol:

Seriously - maybe it's not going to work out so badly. A Conservative government to deal with the deficit, but with some good Lib Dem ideas in there to knock the hard edges off.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby jrsightes » Tue May 11, 2010 9:12 pm

What the hell happened? As of this morning, it looked like LAB/LIB was the most likely coalition. What changed?
jrsightes

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:15 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:Woo Hoo! England is without a leader! Anarchy soon to follow! :D

hehe, Nah, it doesn't last long - Cameron's already in now. It doesn't drag out like in the US for some reason.

Actually, there's never a time in the US when there isn't a President. If the President resigns, the Vice President takes over duties immediately and is sworn in quickly. LBJ was sworn in on the plane when Kennedy was killed.

I just think Anarchy in England would fun. Also a good name for a band! :lol:
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby jrsightes » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

Actually, there's never a time in the US when there isn't a President. If the President resigns, the Vice President takes over duties immediately and is sworn in quickly. LBJ was sworn in on the plane when Kennedy was killed.

I just think Anarchy in England would fun. Also a good name for a band! :lol:

And the swearing-in is just a formality. The moment JFK was declared dead, LBJ automatically became President. He was required to take the oath, but he was already President when he took it. This issue came up in 2009, when the President was sworn in at 12:04 instead of noon. Constitutionally, he became President the instant the clock struck 12.
jrsightes

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue May 11, 2010 9:34 pm

jrsightes wrote:What the hell happened? As of this morning, it looked like LAB/LIB was the most likely coalition. What changed?

D'you think? I felt that that idea was dismissed quite quickly. Even though Lab and Lib are closer in terms of core principles and policies, they would never have been able to form a majority without dragging other parties in.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue May 11, 2010 9:35 pm

jrsightes wrote:Also a good name for a band! :lol:

Ooh, that would be such a good band name!
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 11, 2010 9:36 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

HEY! That was MY idea not JRs! :D
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue May 11, 2010 9:40 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

HEY! That was MY idea not JRs! :D

Hehe, sorry, messed up my quote editing. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue May 11, 2010 10:07 pm

Here we go - Anarchy in England. With apologies to KISS. :lol:

Dorset Girl

Postby jrsightes » Tue May 11, 2010 10:09 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
jrsightes wrote:What the hell happened? As of this morning, it looked like LAB/LIB was the most likely coalition. What changed?

D'you think? I felt that that idea was dismissed quite quickly. Even though Lab and Lib are closer in terms of core principles and policies, they would never have been able to form a majority without dragging other parties in.

That's what the BBC analyst was saying on Countdown. I guess technically it was recorded last night, but I watched it at 4 this morning. He said that with Gordon Brown's resignation, it was likely that the Lib Dems would favor a "rainbow" coalition with Labour and the various small parties, who would also have a stake in the Lib Dems electoral reform plan. I'm interested to see what concessions the Tories had to make on that issue to bring the Lib Dems into the "corrupt bargain," as we called it in our Presidential election of 1800.
jrsightes

Postby CatNamedRudy » Tue May 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:Here we go - Anarchy in England. With apologies to KISS. :lol:

:hello1: :laughing5:
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue May 11, 2010 10:14 pm

Clegg looks like he's been Tangoed (that may not make sense if it's only Britain that had Tango commercials). :scratch:
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 am

CatNamedRudy wrote:Actually, there's never a time in the US when there isn't a President. If the President resigns, the Vice President takes over duties immediately and is sworn in quickly. LBJ was sworn in on the plane when Kennedy was killed.

Yes, sorry, i meant more about there being such a long time between the actual election result and the hoop-la of the official inaugeration. We essentially have the vote and the big cheese is booted out within a day of the result being known :lol: (granted with a bit more flannel this time).

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed May 12, 2010 10:21 am

Dorset Girl wrote:Clegg looks like he's been Tangoed (that may not make sense if it's only Britain that had Tango commercials). :scratch:

:lol: good pic. Clegg looked like Dougal from Father Ted when i first glanced at it.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby JT » Thu May 13, 2010 1:38 am

jrsightes wrote:
Guess you're not up to date on American political code language. "integrity of national borders" should be read "keeping out the brown people."

Bull crap. Typical liberal bull. Why should I give a you know what whether some one is a 'brown person' or not? Has nothing to do with the integrity of national borders. And you've got to know that. If liberals truly cannot differentiate between the importance of national integrity and racism then that would be truly astounding. So much for that liberal 'sophistication'. Can't even discern something as blatantly un-nuanced as that. I don't give a flying hoot whether the government-program-demanding lib ass is a pasty faced Swede or a swarthy Mexican.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby JT » Thu May 13, 2010 1:44 am

jrsightes wrote:
I suppose we Obama voters also rigged all the polls in the days and weeks leading up to election, which almost universally predicted the Obama landslide that was only possible with illegal votes.

We make it damn near impossible to vote illegally in this country, despite the ACORN nonsense you might hear from the right.

Whats 'nonsense'? The fact of ACORN/lib corruption or the fact that the Right exposes it? And only the Right.
What fresh hell is this?
JT

Postby Hans the German Butler » Thu May 13, 2010 11:33 pm

JT wrote:
jrsightes wrote:
I suppose we Obama voters also rigged all the polls in the days and weeks leading up to election, which almost universally predicted the Obama landslide that was only possible with illegal votes.

We make it damn near impossible to vote illegally in this country, despite the ACORN nonsense you might hear from the right.

Whats 'nonsense'? The fact of ACORN/lib corruption or the fact that the Right exposes it? And only the Right.

Just a gentle reminder, this is the British Politics thread.
ROZ: It's not like she worships the Devil
FRASIER: She doesn't need to, he worships her!
Hans the German Butler

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:10 pm

It was worth me digging this thread up especially to post this link - a video that explains all about the upcoming referendum and 'fuputupuh'. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:28 pm

The AV debate always reminds me of this scene from Auf Wiedersehen Pet when they're voting on what colour to paint the hut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-G-GeZS00&feature=player_detailpage#t=409s

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:57 pm

:lol: Uncanny! That could be the 'say no' campaigners' slogan: "Everybody gets what nobody wants"!
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:52 am

Moon-Crane wrote:The AV debate always reminds me of this scene from Auf Wiedersehen Pet when they're voting on what colour to paint the hut.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp-G-GeZS00&feature=player_detailpage#t=409s

Ha! That's brilliant, I'd forgotten about that scene (I can feel a full re-watch coming on :D )

Perfectly sums up my feelings on the AV system to be honest. This current government is one huge watered down compromise, and I don't fancy that every 4/5 years.

You'd think the Lib Dems would see the pitfalls of this system given their current massive unpopularity. I haven't seen a 'NO' campaign leaflet yet without an obsequious looking Nick Clegg on the front...
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri May 06, 2011 6:49 am

Looks like the 'NOs' have it in the referendum, and the Lib Dems took a predictable kicking in the local elections too. Interesting that the Tories have stayed around the same - Labour will have hoped to have eaten into more of their suport given the current climate.

Not sure what happened in Scotland to give the SNP such a good night over Labour? :?
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri May 06, 2011 12:42 pm

I voted Conservative in the local election. Purely selfishly this time around, as their guy is the only one talking about reversing the stupid anti-car parking and road management schemes getting shoved upon us at the moment.

I voted no to AV.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri May 06, 2011 1:00 pm

I was very undecided about AV. A 'no' vote, as I saw it, would be in the Tory's benefit, and being anti-Tory as I am, I was sceptical about voting no. But a 'yes' vote wouldn't necessarily be a good thing either. It may benefit the Lib Dems (if I absolutely had to swear allegiance to a particular party, that's who it would be) but it could possibly benefit the BNP too. A very difficult decision, and I'm still not sure whether I voted the right way.
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion