Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

Your favourite places in the World

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: Your favourite places in the World

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:31 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:A lot of the upper west side. Also Riverside park, Central Park, downtown near Battery Park, the area around Columbia University, Union Square. Even the Astoria area of Queens is pretty cool.

Times Square is really cool, especially at night but it's kind of crowded and tourist trappy.

I love New York.

My favourite part of New York, out of the areas I visited, was El Barrio. Such a community spirit, and colourful murals everywhere. Lots of little independent shops and a great museum!
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:34 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:A lot of the upper west side. Also Riverside park, Central Park, downtown near Battery Park, the area around Columbia University, Union Square. Even the Astoria area of Queens is pretty cool.

Times Square is really cool, especially at night but it's kind of crowded and tourist trappy.

I love New York.

My favourite part of New York, out of the areas I visited, was El Barrio. Such a community spirit, and colourful murals everywhere. Lots of little independent shops and a great museum!

Haven't been there. I'm assuming that's in Spanish Harlem?

Chinatown is also very cool. It's such an odd experience to be in the middle of this huge US city and feel like you're in the middle of Tokyo, Beijing or Seoul.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:44 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:Haven't been there. I'm assuming that's in Spanish Harlem?

Chinatown is also very cool. It's such an odd experience to be in the middle of this huge US city and feel like you're in the middle of Tokyo, Beijing or Seoul.

Yeah, I think El Barrio is just another name for Spanish Harlem.

I know what you mean about Chinatown. Aboslutely everything is in Chinese, even the road signs. So much for New York being a 'melting pot', eh? :lol:
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby jrsightes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:48 pm

I love New York.

I like all of Manhattan. I love Chinatown with all of its street vendors, and the financial district, with all of the historical buildings, some of which date back to the colonial period. Central Park is pretty incredible---to be standing in the middle of such a huge tract of undeveloped land, and yet be surrounded on all sides by skyscrapers. It's a weird feeling.

But there's nowhere I like as much as Times Square. It just feels, to me, like standing at the center of the universe. The energy there is almost tangible.
jrsightes

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:11 pm

I have a pretty cool picture of my friend and her brother in Times Square. I took it on my phone so I'm kind of surprised it actually turned out. Unfortunately, I can't post it here because I'm at work and it's not available to me. (I'd have to copy it from my Facebook page and save it and put it in photobucket which I can't do any of from here)
CatNamedRudy

Postby barnaclelapse » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:15 pm

That's the one thing I regret from my trip to NJ/NY this past weekend. I didn't get any good pictures. There's a few on my cell phone, but they're hardly good enough to be uploaded. I would have particularly liked getting some pictures of the Halloween parade in Manhattan.

I can never get enough of NYC. I suspect it might be due to the fact that I don't live there, but I honestly can't imagine ever getting tired of a city packed with so much energy, so many people and so much potential for disaster and adventure.

NYC has always been the city most prominently featured in my dreams. I grew up loving the city from afar, watching dozens of films that captured its lights and unending chaos. I'll never be able to describe how amazing it was to see finally see that skyline for the first time.

Sadly, the cost of living would probably destroy me inside of a week.
barnaclelapse

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:26 pm

That cost of living thing is one of the reasons I don't live there! If I could afford it (and I mean afford to live the way I want to live) I would spend a lot more time there. I'd definitely have a "second home" there. I love that city more and more every time I go there. The place just fascinates me and I could literally sit for hours and just watch all the different lives go by.
CatNamedRudy

Postby barnaclelapse » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:33 pm

I don't get to go there nearly enough. It was three years between the last time I was in Manhattan and now.

If I was rich it would definitely be a tough call between NYC and some of the other places in the world I want to live in, but I think NYC would still come out the winner.
barnaclelapse

Postby jrsightes » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:08 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:That cost of living thing is one of the reasons I don't live there! If I could afford it (and I mean afford to live the way I want to live) I would spend a lot more time there. I'd definitely have a "second home" there. I love that city more and more every time I go there. The place just fascinates me and I could literally sit for hours and just watch all the different lives go by.

Yeah, the cost of living is a bitch, but I've always had sort of a romantic notion of being poor in NYC. Like something out of an O. Henry story.

I'm kind of sad right now, because this will be the first year in several years that my family won't be in New York for Thanksgiving. The Macy's parade is so much better when you're actually there! The balloons are so much more impressive when they're towering over you than when they're just images on the TV.
jrsightes

Postby CatNamedRudy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:20 pm

I'd love to see the Macy's Parade live. That would be incredible. I'd also love to see the Rose Parade live. My mom saw it several years ago and she said it was just amazing.
CatNamedRudy

Postby Lil » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:55 am

I want to thank you all so much for coming to see me when you came to NY!

Have you all forgotten that...not 3 hours ago...I was punched by a man, now dead?
Lil

Postby CatNamedRudy » Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:53 am

Lil wrote:I want to thank you all so much for coming to see me when you came to NY!

Have you all forgotten that...not 3 hours ago...I was punched by a man, now dead?

***stares at the floor looking sheepish***
CatNamedRudy

Postby barnaclelapse » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:00 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:I'd love to see the Macy's Parade live. That would be incredible. I'd also love to see the Rose Parade live. My mom saw it several years ago and she said it was just amazing.

See, my problem is that I'm not very fond of parades.

People thought I was being a bigot when I told them I didn't enjoy the San Francisco Gay Pride Parade in 2007, but what they didn't understand was that I just didn't like the whole concept of Parades to begin with.
barnaclelapse

Postby tenpercenter » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:45 pm

NY

daylight to second
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby barnaclelapse » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:44 pm

New York just goes without saying in my book.
barnaclelapse

Postby Forever Jung » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:52 pm

:twisted: Esbjerg, Denmark.
The streets are clean, the people are nice.
I've spent many happy hours there in my time in the merchant navy.
The Cranes of Maine have got my Living Brain
Forever Jung

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion