Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

What was your earliest memory?

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:
Agides wrote:My first vivid memory is of a really, really beautiful pair of bright red Wellies that I wore irrespective of the weather - I was about 2 1/2 or 3.

Thank you for making me remember them, DG. :)

I had some red wellies too, I think I kind of 'borrowed' them from mum's Paddington Bear toy!

Had to do an image search on "Wellies." I think we just called them boots. No specific name.

For some reason I always thought Paddington's boots were yellow but I see from pictures that they were either red or black.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Agides » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:52 pm

CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:
Agides wrote:My first vivid memory is of a really, really beautiful pair of bright red Wellies that I wore irrespective of the weather - I was about 2 1/2 or 3.

I had some red wellies too, I think I kind of 'borrowed' them from mum's Paddington Bear toy!

Had to do an image search on "Wellies." I think we just called them boots. No specific name.

For some reason I always thought Paddington's boots were yellow but I see from pictures that they were either red or black.

Sorry about that Cat. "Wellies" is short for Wellington Boots - would you call them gum boots?? :?
I've got a fake laugh with your name written all over it.
Agides

Postby Lil » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:17 pm

I actually knew what wellies were. In winter time, whenever I go out, I always say, "Gonna put on my Wellies, then head out."

:)
Lil

Postby CatNamedRudy » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:20 pm

Agides wrote:
CatNamedRudy wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

Sorry about that Cat. "Wellies" is short for Wellington Boots - would you call them gum boots?? :?

Nope. Here in the midwest they're just boots.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
CatNamedRudy

Postby Dorset Girl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:23 pm

There's a really annoying kid's programme called 'Gordon the garden gnome' which is voiced by Alan Titchmarsh. I guarantee that pretty much all Brits will know who he is! He's an annoyance all by himself IMHO. Anyway - in the theme tune, Alan Titchmarsh says

"Let's get mucky, put your puddlebusters on!" Now that's what my niece calls wellies.

This should be on the rant thread, because it really annoys me. :lol:
Dorset Girl

Postby Lil » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:46 am

I also had a quick image flash through my head of being in my old bedroom (that is now our computer room), and laying in bed, not able to go to sleep. I had to be around 3 or 4 then. Not really a good memory, because I believe I was crying.
Lil

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:44 am

I can't really remember much from pre-school days. I have vague recollections of being knocked down by a car in our street; getting lost on the seafront near where we lived and my parents turning up in a police car to get me; burning my finger on the fire grate of our open fire because i tried to pick up a deflated balloon that had landed on it; and i remember that chimney catching fire at one point and the fire brigade having to come to sort it out.

No wonder i must be trying to blank the bloody memories out :lol:

Remembering all the stuff i got up to with friends when i was aged between 6-9 though, nanny state created parents of today would have a fit.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:53 am

Moon-Crane wrote:I can't really remember much from pre-school days. I have vague recollections of being knocked down by a car in our street; getting lost on the seafront near where we lived and my parents turning up in a police car to get me; burning my finger on the fire grate of our open fire because i tried to pick up a deflated balloon that had landed on it; and i remember that chimney catching fire at one point and the fire brigade having to come to sort it out.

:shock: How did you survive through to adulthood? :lol:

Remembering all the stuff i got up to with friends when i was aged between 6-9 though, nanny state created parents of today would have a fit.

Me too, from about the age of eight we used to disappear off on our own, building dens, going down to the beach and all sorts of stuff. Even before that age, I remember that my Gran would take me and a friend over to the playing field, leave us there to play alone, then collect us when dinner was ready.
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:13 am

Nice thread, DG!

Anyway, my earliest memory was when I was about 2/3 and I was watching a video and just generally wondering around and playing like a normal toddler, then I remember my mum asking "What does mummy look like?" and I say "Mastercard(!)" (I had a weird obsession with Mastercards then - don't ask!) Then after that all I remember is curled up in a ball on the sofa crying my eyes out screaming "I want my video on!" because my mum had turned it off. :lol:

Then theres other stuff like birthday parties - one where I had a tantrum because I wanted the prize during pass the parcel! We have THAT one on video! :lol:
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:15 am

!Amz! wrote:Nice thread, DG!

Anyway, my earliest memory was when I was about 2/3 and I was watching a video and just generally wondering around and playing like a normal toddler, then I remember my mum asking "What does mummy look like?" and I say "Mastercard(!)" (I had a weird obsession with Mastercards then - don't ask!) Then after that all I remember is curled up in a ball on the sofa crying my eyes out screaming "I want my video on!" because my mum had turned it off. :lol:

Er... okay, that's different! :lol:

Then theres other stuff like birthday parties - one where I had a tantrum because I wanted the prize during pass the parcel! We have THAT one on video! :lol:

So do you know if you remember the actual event, or does your memory come from the video, do you think?
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:31 am

Dorset Girl wrote:
!Amz! wrote:Nice thread, DG!

Er... okay, that's different! :lol:

So do you know if you remember the actual event, or does your memory come from the video, do you think?

I remember bits but yeah, probably most of it comes from the video - haven't seen it for a few years though. Must watch it...
!Amz!

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:34 am

!Amz! wrote:I remember bits but yeah, probably most of it comes from the video - haven't seen it for a few years though. Must watch it...

There was an experiment done - I can't remember which programme it was on - that showed people photos of childhood events and asked if they remembered them. Each participant, as far as I can recall, was shown five genuine photos and one photoshopped one. In the photoshopped pic, the participant and one of their parents had been superimposed into a hot air balloon.

All of the people taking part claimed to remember the events depicted in the genuine photos, and only one person said that they couldn't remember the hot air balloon one. All of the others were hesitant about it at first, but then kind of convinced themselves that they could remember it!
Dorset Girl

Postby !Amz! » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:37 am

That sounds like something I'd do! The inside of my head's very weird and I end up convincing myself different things all the time!
!Amz!

Postby woggle » Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:13 pm

Ok my earliest memory was sitting in my pushchair having a and holding on to for dear life a ' carrot pen ' :lol: there are pictures of me practicaly hugging this bloomin pen which was in the shape of a carrot and it had eyes and a face on it i will always remember that im sure it was a best friend of mine for a while to .
woggle

Postby Rodge » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:42 pm

I'm still waiting for a post from BGF, because if I remeber rightly she can recall things back to when she was just a few weeks. :lol:
My fine is over £700 !! (",)
Rodge

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:05 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:I can't really remember much from pre-school days. I have vague recollections of being knocked down by a car in our street; getting lost on the seafront near where we lived and my parents turning up in a police car to get me; burning my finger on the fire grate of our open fire because i tried to pick up a deflated balloon that had landed on it; and i remember that chimney catching fire at one point and the fire brigade having to come to sort it out.

Hehe, I was going to post that! :lol: Except I have very vivid memories of my sister beckoning me across the street to join her as the big white van which knocked me down hurtled up our street like a bat out of hell! I can still close my eyes and picture the tyre rolling in slow motion over my hand... *shudders*

My actual first memory is hard to pin down. I vividly remember asking my mum if we were going to visit my nana in hospital and she said she wasn't there anymore, she was in a place called 'heaven' instead. I know she died when I was three, so my memories of her are obviously prior to that. I remember playing a card game called 'pairs' with her (everyone must have played that, right?) so that probably counts as the furthest back I can actually remember. Frightening that my own kids are that age now and are therefore capable of remembering everything that happens to them from this point onwards! :shock:

I wish I had memories of the Leeds/Sunderland FA Cup final in 1973 as I know I watched that aged 9 months old. Apparently half the street came into out house to watch it as we were the only ones with a colour TV! :lol: My mum said I was sat in front of the game in my high chair throughout David Coleman's commentary... "1-0. No, no, it hasn't gone in!" :D
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:08 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:as we were the only ones with a colour TV! :lol:

Thank you, you've just made me feel young! :D

And yeah, I remember playing 'pairs' with my Gran too.
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:16 pm

Dorset Girl wrote:

I'll refrain from making remarks about how good you must have been at that game... :wink:
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Dorset Girl » Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:17 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Dorset Girl wrote:

I'll refrain from making remarks about how good you must have been at that game... :wink:

:lol: Can you corrupt anything I say? ;)
I know they're only moments... but that's all life is - just a bunch of moments. Molly, in 'Life Stinks'
Dorset Girl

Postby Nervosa » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:46 pm

I can remember going around the house on one of those strange things that babys move about on...don't know their name. You kind of sit in it and it's got a tray on the front, and it's got wheels. A walking pen?

Anyway, my parents fitted a childproof lock to the fridge to prevent me eating something I shouldn't, now that I was able to move around the house myself. But I was actually the only one that could open the lock! My parents would get me over to the fridge anytime they needed into it! I think it had something to do with the little bolt being too small for their fingers to operate or something. That must have been when I was about 2 years old. My next memory was my third birthday 'party'.
There are 10 types of people in the world; those who understand binary code, and those who don't.
Nervosa

Re: What was your earliest memory?

Postby Dorset Girl » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:02 pm

Dragging this old thread up because I have a photo to post. I remember having this taken - it's a real memory, not remembered because I've seen the photo. The pic went missing for years and years, in fact I don't ever remember having seen a copy. Yesterday, I was sorting through one of the endless cupboards in this house (seriously - just when I think I've found everything there is to find, I discover another that hasn't been touched for 30 years!). There was the photo - in amongst a stack of dusty LPs and vinyl singles.

I clearly remember crying shortly after this pic was taken, as I had straw sticking in all sorts of places. :lol:

Dorset Girl

Postby barnaclelapse » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:48 pm

D'awwwwwwwww.
barnaclelapse

Postby Lil » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:23 pm

What a cute face! Adorable.
Lil

Postby insaneasperger » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Awe weren't you cute!!
I Think You Can Call Me Niles Now
insaneasperger

Postby Dorset Girl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:23 pm

Haha, ta guys. :lol:
Dorset Girl

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion