Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Tennis Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:56 pm

Strange to look at this thread six months on, with Murray about to compete in yet another final and a chance to win his second grand slam in succession. He pretty much hammered Federer today, even though it ended up going to five sets. Djokovic will be very tough, though.

I think Djokovic and Murray are the top two players now. Because of such an injury lay off, i'm not sure what Nadal will be like when he returns.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby woggle » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:12 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:Strange to look at this thread six months on, with Murray about to compete in yet another final and a chance to win his second grand slam in succession. He pretty much hammered Federer today, even though it ended up going to five sets. Djokovic will be very tough, though.

I think Djokovic and Murray are the top two players now. Because of such an injury lay off, i'm not sure what Nadal will be like when he returns.


He's been missing for what feels like years! lol pushing his body like he did had to hurt eventually thou didn't it , wasn't a fan when he was about but for some strange reason it does'nt feel right without him around.

Did u see the match earlier ? i didn't catch what Federer said to Murray to cause a little bit of a rift ...got a bit arsey did Fed today maybe hs time is running out .
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby woggle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:32 pm

Poor Li Na in a rather odd match , think the tumble and bump on the back of the head put her off a touch .

Ah well ready for tomorrow ....* wispers *think Andy might just do it :D
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:27 pm

woggle wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Strange to look at this thread six months on, with Murray about to compete in yet another final and a chance to win his second grand slam in succession. He pretty much hammered Federer today, even though it ended up going to five sets. Djokovic will be very tough, though.

I think Djokovic and Murray are the top two players now. Because of such an injury lay off, i'm not sure what Nadal will be like when he returns.


He's been missing for what feels like years! lol pushing his body like he did had to hurt eventually thou didn't it , wasn't a fan when he was about but for some strange reason it does'nt feel right without him around.

Did u see the match earlier ? i didn't catch what Federer said to Murray to cause a little bit of a rift ...got a bit arsey did Fed today maybe hs time is running out .


Yes, i watched the game and saw that. Federer was quoted in one report saying that they just had a bit of a staring match at each other after that particular point and that it was no big deal. Just trying to psyche each other out i suppose. Neither have revealed what was said though - he certainly muttered something. Federer had just tried to deliberately hold up play at the start of that particular game, hadn't he? Federer was the most flustered i've ever seen him, at several times, during that match. He did well to hang in enough to take it to five sets really - it could have been straight sets without any complaints.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:29 pm

woggle wrote:Poor Li Na in a rather odd match , think the tumble and bump on the back of the head put her off a touch .

Ah well ready for tomorrow ....* wispers *think Andy might just do it :D


Didn';t get to see the women's final. Sounded a strange one with her falls. I expect most of the crowd were on Na's side, too, after Azarenka's controversial shenanigans during the semi-final.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby woggle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:43 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
woggle wrote:Poor Li Na in a rather odd match , think the tumble and bump on the back of the head put her off a touch .

Ah well ready for tomorrow ....* wispers *think Andy might just do it :D


Didn';t get to see the women's final. Sounded a strange one with her falls. I expect most of the crowd were on Na's side, too, after Azarenka's controversial shenanigans during the semi-final.


They were to start with then it switched halfway thru strangely and again back to Li Na afer she fell .... think it was because she got up after being looked at with a big smile on her face ready to give it all she had.

Was an odd game thou neither dominated and there was more breaks of serve then i could count.
User avatar
woggle
 
Posts: 11465
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:29 pm
Location: leatherhead surrey

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:07 pm

Well deserved win for Djokovic. Clearly the number one player at the moment. Murray hung in well. Needed to take that third set to another tie-breaker, i suppose. Big break at that point.

Should have Nadal back for the next set of events.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:26 pm

Had to make a post to celebrate Andy Murray's Wimbledon win. What a performance to get the monkey off the back at that damn tournament :D

He and Djokovic are definitely the genuine top two in the world now.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:35 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Had to make a post to celebrate Andy Murray's Wimbledon win. What a performance to get the monkey off the back at that damn tournament :D

He and Djokovic are definitely the genuine top two in the world now.


Olympic gold and Wimbledon! Since the US pretty much doesn't have any decent male tennis players anymore, I'll cheer for Andy! [:]DRINK[/:]
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:34 pm

:D

Lendl seems to have been the final piece of the jigsaw to break Murray into into that amazing group of Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

Yeah, it's a relatively dry time for the USA, isn't it? I believe it's the giant John Isner who's highest ranked. The only other guy i can think of is Sam Querrey. Mind, i believe they're still both top 20 players. I think 5th ranked down to 40 or 50 are a competitive group between themselves, just a mile behind the top four.

What's changed in recent years? I guess tennis has never been a huge focus even in the high times - everything struggles in comparison to the 'big four'. But i always remember John McEnroe, Jimmy Conners, Andre Agassi, Jim Courier, Michael Chang, Andy Roddick and, most of all, the mighty Pete Sampras.

Just took a quick look at the rankings. There's also Mardy Fish, and then a few others hovering around the top 100. Still better than the Brit men if you take Murray out of the picture, but i expect more from the US.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
User avatar
Moon-Crane
 
Posts: 20753
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:19 pm
Location: Bucks, UK

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby CatNamedRudy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:08 pm

I'm not really into tennis so I can't really make any type of intelligent guess as to what happened to the US tennis team. Even with the women you don't hear about anybody but the WIlliams sisters and they are getting to be past their time.
This is the STUPIDEST day I've ever had!
User avatar
CatNamedRudy
 
Posts: 24607
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: Wisconsin, USA: King Scott Walker reigning!

Previous

Return to Off Topic Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


© Site contents are copyright Stuart Lee 1999 - 2017. This is a Frasier fan site and is not affiliated in any way with the program, Grub St Productions, Paramount or NBC.