Frasier Online
home About The Show Episode Guide Merchandise Forum Reviews Gallery Contact

The Tennis Thread

Discussion of non-'Frasier' related topics

Re: The Tennis Thread

Postby Moon-Crane » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:39 pm

Hell of a turnaround there. I don't think many would have seen that coming at 2-0 Federer.
''Fire in the hole, Bitch!'' Jesse Pinkman - Breaking Bad

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby tenpercenter » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:19 pm

i hate tomic. loves himself!
"blood is thicker than port. -
i stand corrected"
tenpercenter

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Did someone switch Andy Murray off after a set and three games of that match? :lol:

He didn't even get into one of his funny silly angry moods - just nothing.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:12 am

Wish I'd put some money on Nadal now. There was never any doubt he was going to win that match once things started to turn in that second set. It's unfortunate for Murray that he has at least two (possibly three) of the greatest players of all time in front of him who will stop him ever winning a Grand Slam unless there's some kind of perfect storm of injuries. It's always been the way though. Henman had Sampras and Agassi to contend with and going way back Roger Taylor (who made 3 Wimbledon semis back in the '70s and '80s) had McEnroe and Borg. It's been generations since Britain could boast a genuinely world class tennis player.
"You don't turn the other cheek, you slice it."
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:01 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Wish I'd put some money on Nadal now. There was never any doubt he was going to win that match once things started to turn in that second set. It's unfortunate for Murray that he has at least two (possibly three) of the greatest players of all time in front of him who will stop him ever winning a Grand Slam unless there's some kind of perfect storm of injuries. It's always been the way though. Henman had Sampras and Agassi to contend with and going way back Roger Taylor (who made 3 Wimbledon semis back in the '70s and '80s) had McEnroe and Borg. It's been generations since Britain could boast a genuinely world class tennis player.

I'd still say Murray can win a slam. Nadal is the kingpin of his era. I'm not sure if Federer will have the hunger to carry on for that much longer - are there any landmarks he needs to try and reach? Djokovic has suddenly found his groove, but was kind of Murray-like until this year, so who knows if he can stay up at that level.

Murray's shown he can mix it with the top players and is kind of in a limbo just behind the top 3 but comfortably ahead of the next set of players behind him. If he finds that Djokovic spark of consistency for a season he'll win one.

He's proven a far better player than Henman, and Taylor - from what i know of him.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:23 pm

Not a spectacular final, but great win for Djokovic. Deserved world #1 for his run this year. Amazing era for the quality of players in the current men's game.

Kvitova looks like a handy player in the women's game. Top spot in women's tennis looks there for the taking.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:03 am

Moon-Crane wrote:Not a spectacular final, but great win for Djokovic. Deserved world #1 for his run this year. Amazing era for the quality of players in the current men's game.

Kvitova looks like a handy player in the women's game. Top spot in women's tennis looks there for the taking.

You still think Murray will win a slam after seeing Djokovic on Sunday? :wink: At 30 Federer is clearly in the decline but Nadal and Djokovic will always be on another level IMO.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:38 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:Not a spectacular final, but great win for Djokovic. Deserved world #1 for his run this year. Amazing era for the quality of players in the current men's game.

You still think Murray will win a slam after seeing Djokovic on Sunday? :wink: At 30 Federer is clearly in the decline but Nadal and Djokovic will always be on another level IMO.

Heh, i'm not saying he will, but i genuinely do believe he's capable. Possibly more in the US or Australian Opens than Wimbledon or French. He's got the game.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Murray's doing well here. I saw his match yesterday and his one today against Isner, he's been very impressive and looks like winning at a canter.

I'm able to see much more sport than I used to now I've discovered I'm able to use Sky Go at work :D
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Murray's doing well here. I saw his match yesterday and his one today against Isner, he's been very impressive and looks like winning at a canter.

I'm able to see much more sport than I used to now I've discovered I'm able to use Sky Go at work :D

Yeah, he flew through yesterday after waiting through two days of rain. Looks like it's going to be the top four players in the semi-finals once again.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:25 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Murray's doing well here. I saw his match yesterday and his one today against Isner, he's been very impressive and looks like winning at a canter.

Yeah, he flew through yesterday after waiting through two days of rain. Looks like it's going to be the top four players in the semi-finals once again.

Hmm, so two brick walls await him in the semis and final again should he get there. I feel a bit sorry for him to be honest - he could hardly be playing in a more difficult era.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:56 pm

Good win for Murray in the end but that longer-than-expected match puts him at a big disadvantage in the semis.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:07 am

Good effort from Murray last night but sadly for him Nadal just had too much class. He's done well getting to all 4 Grand Slam semis this year though - not many people have done that in the Open era.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:36 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Good effort from Murray last night but sadly for him Nadal just had too much class. He's done well getting to all 4 Grand Slam semis this year though - not many people have done that in the Open era.

Yeah, he battled hard. Unfortunately, Nadal is by far the best player around at the moment. Pity he's always been ranked to meet Nadal in each semi this season, as i think he'd have made it further at least once against Fed or Djokovic. That's the way it goes.

Have you happened to see the Brit showing in the Boys' Tournament? With three in the semi-finals, I can't remember ever seeing so many Brits get so far. Wonder if any of those guys can make the leap in years to come?

Edit: First Brit winner of the Boys tournament since Andy Murray in 2004.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Moon-Crane » Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:03 am

Huge shock at Wimbledon tonight as Nadal was beaten in the second round by 100th ranked Lukas Rosol. Up there as one of the bigger Wimbeldon upsets.

I heard some tennis pundits mention that 26 of the last 28 grand slam tournaments have been shared between Djokovic, Nadal and Federer. That's quite an incredible stat. Probably justifies the belief that the top three of this era are the best in history. Poor old Murray hanging onto the coat tails of that behemoth. At least his nemesis has been cleaned out of his path to the final this year. Got to make it count this time.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:47 am

Another match for Murray today on what is forcast to be a rain-soaked court 1. Can't believe the administrators didn't stick him under the roof again. I've a feeling he'll lose this one actually - he's not in great form at the moment.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:34 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Another match for Murray today on what is forcast to be a rain-soaked court 1. Can't believe the administrators didn't stick him under the roof again. I've a feeling he'll lose this one actually - he's not in great form at the moment.

Yep, he'll kick himself if he doesn't make the most of Nadal's early exit to reach that final. Mind, i'd have been interested to see the real storm kick off if he'd been made to come off court without the match being finished at 11pm on Saturday evening. :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:51 am

Moon-Crane wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:Another match for Murray today on what is forcast to be a rain-soaked court 1. Can't believe the administrators didn't stick him under the roof again. I've a feeling he'll lose this one actually - he's not in great form at the moment.

Yep, he'll kick himself if he doesn't make the most of Nadal's early exit to reach that final. Mind, i'd have been interested to see the real storm kick off if he'd been made to come off court without the match being finished at 11pm on Saturday evening. :lol:

I know - some common sense shown by those who run the game for once.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:21 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Moon-Crane wrote:

I know - some common sense shown by those who run the game for once.

I think that was more by good luck than good management. They were dying to get him off the field. I think he forced their hand to hang on for a couple of minutes purely by powering his way so convincingly through that set.

Now he and Cilic have been left on court 1 again today, while the rain is likely to continue to interrupt the day. Which idiots thought it wouldn't make sense for any delayed big matches to be finished off under the roof? I certinaly don't think anyone can accuse the officials of trying to benefit the home player :lol:

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:21 pm

Shame for Murray today. He looked pretty good in that first set but as soon as Federer hit his groove there was a gulf in class.

I doubt he'll get a better chance, unless Federer, Nadal and Djokovic somehow all get knocked out in the early rounds of a Slam.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:25 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:Shame for Murray today. He looked pretty good in that first set but as soon as Federer hit his groove there was a gulf in class.

I doubt he'll get a better chance, unless Federer, Nadal and Djokovic somehow all get knocked out in the early rounds of a Slam.

Federer is just too good when he's in nick. He showed it by destroying Djokovic in the s-f. He'd have beaten Nadal had he not slipped up. Nobody else was going to win it this year.

You're right, though. Murray (and everybody else below him) currently needs the top three to not reach the final to see a new winner on a grand slam trophy. It's the luck of an extraordinary era but I'm certain Murray would have won a slam event by now in any other time.

Murray's clearly the current 4th best player in the world, but it's not quite enough with the crazy level of the top three players.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 am

I know what you're saying, but Henman had to play during the Agassi/Sampras era and Roger Taylor had to play through the Laver and Borg eras. Murray deserves a lot of respect but I don't necessarily think he'd have automatically been a Slam winner in any other era.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:I know what you're saying, but Henman had to play during the Agassi/Sampras era and Roger Taylor had to play through the Laver and Borg eras. Murray deserves a lot of respect but I don't necessarily think he'd have automatically been a Slam winner in any other era.

Fair point, but i think the Federer/Nadal/Djokovic trio are a phenomenon of the game. All three are effectively the top three in every single event. I'm sure i heard a commentator say they've won 32 of the last 35 grand slam tournaments?

Murray's faced Federer (x3) and Djokovic in four finals. Federer's first final win was against Philippousis, Nadal's was that Argentinian guy (i forget his name) and Djokovic faced Tsonga. If we remove the clay court player from the equation, i expect Murray would love to have faced Philippousis or Tsonga in a final on grass or hard court.

Edit: Took a quick look online for grand slam results - winners and runners-up. It's a pretty remarkable run in the last 8 or 9 years. Murray's found himself amongst a particularly outstanding, relentless, era.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

Postby Mr Blue Sky » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:29 pm

Moon-Crane wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:I know what you're saying, but Henman had to play during the Agassi/Sampras era and Roger Taylor had to play through the Laver and Borg eras. Murray deserves a lot of respect but I don't necessarily think he'd have automatically been a Slam winner in any other era.

Fair point, but i think the Federer/Nadal/Djokovic trio are a phenomenon of the game. All three are effectively the top three in every single event. I'm sure i heard a commentator say they've won 32 of the last 35 grand slam tournaments?

Murray's faced Federer (x3) and Djokovic in four finals. Federer's first final win was against Philippousis, Nadal's was that Argentinian guy (i forget his name) and Djokovic faced Tsonga. If we remove the clay court player from the equation, i expect Murray would love to have faced Philippousis or Tsonga in a final on grass or hard court.

Edit: Took a quick look online for grand slam results - winners and runners-up. It's a pretty remarkable run in the last 8 or 9 years. Murray's found himself amongst a particularly outstanding, relentless, era.

Yeah fair enough - I don't think even Sampras and Agassi dominated the slams to that extent although I remember them having some huge battles against each other (the Aussie Open final of '95 springs to mind). Murray would certainly have had a much better chance in another era looking at those stats.
Mr Blue Sky

Postby Moon-Crane » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:00 pm

Crazy innit. I was trying to compare it to other bunches of players. Looks like a handy number of slam event wins/appearances divided up between Connors, Borg and later McEnroe, but even they allowed others a sniff in a whole bunch of finals during their eras. I wonder how much more Borg could have done if he'd not taken the early retirement?

Sampras is a good example. For all his massive dominance at Wimbledon, US and Oz, he came nowhere in Paris. Shows the previous difficulty of claiming the 'career' grand slam of all four events. Lendl's another, to an extent, with his missing out on Wimbledon - same with Wilander. Even Connors missed out in France. Agassi finally managed to win the lot and it was rightly lauded as a major feat, and now both Nadal and Fed have won the lot. Wonder if Djokovic can win a French Open to round it off, too? If he does it'll cement the current three in history.

Poor old Murray :lol: I could still see him winning a US or Oz, though.

My Top TV
Moon-Crane

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic Discussion